Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 265038 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #385 on: June 16, 2010, 11:49:51 PM »
Just got back from the Yes show.

Meh.

David isn't that great. Close to the Edge was almost unbearable. The middle section was awesome, but the rest was horrible. It was either tuned down or David was singing off key (or more than likely, both).

Steve was on fire this show though. And I think Frampton put on a better show than Yes (even though I only knew two of his songs beforehand). By the middle of Close to the Edge, about half of the floor seats were cleared... it was kind of pitiful.

I don't think I'm gonna see Yes anymore. I went this time because I was dying to hear CTTE live.... but even that wasn't really worth it.  :-\

This sounds... disappointing. I really hope this is an exception rather than the experience held by others at other shows. Benoit can't be THAT bad, can he? I mean, he seems to be the youngest in this group and it would be awful if the older guys are having better nights than him at this point in their tenure together.

Either way, I would rather have this version of Yes (or any version of Yes for that matter), just quit touring and make one more good album before calling it quits. I think Genesis did it right with one more kick-ass reunion tour before prominently throwing in the towel, despite rumors and wantings of a Gabriel-Hackett reunion, which would seem less (or maybe as) likely as Anderson and (Rick) Wakeman returning to Yes to record/tour with Howe/Squire/White.

I also have to wonder why nothing has been released by Yes with Benoit on it because we all know how Yes is live-show happy, but then again, maybe the band themselves just don't feel the need to put out another Yesshow (because we're likely to get reissues from now til the end of time)... or maybe they're not so confident anymore without Anderson on board?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #386 on: June 16, 2010, 11:58:18 PM »
Just got back from the Yes show.

Meh.

David isn't that great. Close to the Edge was almost unbearable. The middle section was awesome, but the rest was horrible. It was either tuned down or David was singing off key (or more than likely, both).

Steve was on fire this show though. And I think Frampton put on a better show than Yes (even though I only knew two of his songs beforehand). By the middle of Close to the Edge, about half of the floor seats were cleared... it was kind of pitiful.

I don't think I'm gonna see Yes anymore. I went this time because I was dying to hear CTTE live.... but even that wasn't really worth it.  :-\

This sounds... disappointing. I really hope this is an exception rather than the experience held by others at other shows. Benoit can't be THAT bad, can he? I mean, he seems to be the youngest in this group and it would be awful if the older guys are having better nights than him at this point in their tenure together.

Either way, I would rather have this version of Yes (or any version of Yes for that matter), just quit touring and make one more good album before calling it quits. I think Genesis did it right with one more kick-ass reunion tour before prominently throwing in the towel, despite rumors and wantings of a Gabriel-Hackett reunion, which would seem less (or maybe as) likely as Anderson and (Rick) Wakeman returning to Yes to record/tour with Howe/Squire/White.

I also have to wonder why nothing has been released by Yes with Benoit on it because we all know how Yes is live-show happy, but then again, maybe the band themselves just don't feel the need to put out another Yesshow (because we're likely to get reissues from now til the end of time)... or maybe they're not so confident anymore without Anderson on board?

-Marc.

He was pretty off key for most of the night. Not always though. Some songs were pretty good, such as Tempus and And You And I. But you could tell he felt so uncomfortable doing some of the songs, especially Close to the Edge.

I agree. I'd prefer if the band just did one last tour (preferably with Jon Anderson, just to end things on a good note).

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #387 on: June 17, 2010, 10:12:41 AM »
Yes haven't said anything about new studio material (other than the standard "we won't rule it out") and that is probably because Jon Anderson always had a huge role in the writing.  Mostly lyrics, but also more of the music than many realize.  Howe, Squire, and White also contributed to the music, of course.  Wakeman tended to work directly with Anderson on some things, but other than that, he mostly showed up once the songs were pretty well formed and figured out some keyboard parts for them.

We've seen some evidence that Howe, Squire, and White have great musical ideas, but Anderson was always the one who pulled it all together, and as he's shown no interest in returning to Yes, I would not expect any new Yes studio material.

And before anyone mentions Drama... that was a rather different situation.  Howe, Squire, and White had a lot of material already worked out, as did Downes and Horn.  They combined their material and talents in what turned out to be a pretty good album IMO, but again, it took collaboration and a lot of work.  I would not expect the current Yes lineup to even be interested in the amount of work a new studio album would require.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #388 on: June 21, 2010, 05:42:12 PM »
Yes haven't said anything about new studio material (other than the standard "we won't rule it out") and that is probably because Jon Anderson always had a huge role in the writing.  Mostly lyrics, but also more of the music than many realize.  Howe, Squire, and White also contributed to the music, of course.  Wakeman tended to work directly with Anderson on some things, but other than that, he mostly showed up once the songs were pretty well formed and figured out some keyboard parts for them.

We've seen some evidence that Howe, Squire, and White have great musical ideas, but Anderson was always the one who pulled it all together, and as he's shown no interest in returning to Yes, I would not expect any new Yes studio material.

And before anyone mentions Drama... that was a rather different situation.  Howe, Squire, and White had a lot of material already worked out, as did Downes and Horn.  They combined their material and talents in what turned out to be a pretty good album IMO, but again, it took collaboration and a lot of work.  I would not expect the current Yes lineup to even be interested in the amount of work a new studio album would require.

Not only that, they wouldn't raise any money from releasing a new album. Touring is where the money is now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #389 on: June 21, 2010, 06:02:35 PM »
Orbert pretty much hit the nail on the head, but not only does it suck to see Yes become a nostalgia act, but they are doing it without the man who was, for all intents and purposes, the driving force behind the band.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #390 on: June 21, 2010, 08:20:53 PM »
Seeing them on Saturday with a bunch of people (Squiddy included). I know lots of people have been disappointed but I am still pretty excited. Yes was pretty awesome in February, so I can't see how I'd be disappointed only a few months later (especially since we're getting CttE)
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #391 on: June 22, 2010, 07:18:56 AM »
This tour has been pretty notoriously hit-or-miss.  Some longtime Yesfans are coming away really impressed, while others (who caught a different night in a different town) have literally walked out.  I hope you get to see them on a good night.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #392 on: June 26, 2010, 10:44:45 PM »
Well they were pretty good, although not as good as they were in February. There were a lot of parts where they just compeltely were not in sync at all, and David's voice was pretty shot towards the end of the show.

The keyboards were mixed a lot higher this time which was awesome because in February when I saw them they were almost inaudible.

CttE was worth the ticket price itself, and our group got a free upgrade to the next lowest section and a few rows down because the ticket sales were lowsy. So overall for 27 dollars we got to sit in the 60 dollar seats and see Close to the Edge, so overall, I'd say it was an awesome night.

Also, Frampton did covers of Black Hole Sun and While My Guitar Gently Weeps which were both outstanding.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline UnutterableSquid

• Squiddus Maximus
  • Eddie, what took you so long?
« Reply #393 on: June 26, 2010, 10:49:02 PM »
Well they were pretty good, although not as good as they were in February. There were a lot of parts where they just compeltely were not in sync at all, and David's voice was pretty shot towards the end of the show.

The keyboards were mixed a lot higher this time which was awesome because in February when I saw them they were almost inaudible.

CttE was worth the ticket price itself, and our group got a free upgrade to the next lowest section and a few rows down because the ticket sales were lowsy. So overall for 27 dollars we got to sit in the 60 dollar seats and see Close to the Edge, so overall, I'd say it was an awesome night.

Also, Frampton did covers of Black Hole Sun and While My Guitar Gently Weeps which were both outstanding.

Yeah, that was a pretty good show overall.

Not sure where I'd rank it just yet, but it certainly wouldn't be that far down the list.

And :metal @ Frampton's awesome talkbox BHS cover.

The Final Frontier - August 16th, 2010

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: June 26, 2010, 10:54:18 PM »
I'm not seeing these guys on this leg of the tour, but these reviews make me more jealous I'm not seeing Frampton than anything  :lol

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #395 on: June 27, 2010, 12:43:37 PM »
I didn't even know Yes was touring  :|

Does someone have a link to the dates? If its possible, it would be cool to go and see Yes live, assuming tickets aren't sold out.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #396 on: June 27, 2010, 01:56:45 PM »
This tour has been pretty notoriously hit-or-miss.  Some longtime Yesfans are coming away really impressed, while others (who caught a different night in a different town) have literally walked out.  I hope you get to see them on a good night.

When I hear this Orbert I have a suspision that fans have made up their minds before they go to the concert and that sways their opinion, in both ways.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #397 on: June 27, 2010, 04:03:21 PM »
Quad - how wad David during CTTE at your show? He was really off-key for almost the whole song (minus the middle section) so it kinda ruined it for me.

Also I bought Union the other day, will listen shortly.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: June 27, 2010, 04:04:39 PM »
Quad - how wad David during CTTE at your show? He was really off-key for almost the whole song (minus the middle section) so it kinda ruined it for me.

Or as Rick Wakeman calls it, "Onion".  Cause it makes him cry.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #399 on: June 27, 2010, 04:07:06 PM »

Or as Rick Wakeman calls it, "Onion".  Cause it makes him cry.

:lol The follow-up to "To(r)mato"? :D

My Yes friend who was with me when I bought it said it wasn't that good of an album, despite the fact it has the original lineup, but I remember people here reccomending it, and it was only 6 bucks, so I figured it's worth a shot. ;) I haven't listened to anything Yes put out after Big Generator.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: June 27, 2010, 04:16:24 PM »
Well in truth, it's not the original or the classic lineup. AWBH were working on a new album and the tour with the 2 bands came togheter and the new YES wipped some somes together. Only Jon Anderson sang on both and Squire did backups on both. The tour, I saw 2 shows got better  the second time around.  Steve Howe's face said it all. He hated it. Rabin and Wakeman got along great and they've always talked about doing an album together and it sounds like all these years later they might do it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #401 on: June 28, 2010, 07:32:02 AM »
Most of Union pretty much blows, and 99% of the band's fan base agrees that it stinks overall.

ZBomber, you should get Talk; it was the third and last album the Anderson/Rabin/Squire/Kaye/White lineup did, and it is most excellent.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #402 on: June 28, 2010, 03:38:15 PM »
I love Union! It's sooo good, one of the better post GFTO albums.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #403 on: June 28, 2010, 03:48:31 PM »
Well in truth, it's not the original or the classic lineup. AWBH were working on a new album and the tour with the 2 bands came togheter and the new YES wipped some somes together. Only Jon Anderson sang on both and Squire did backups on both. The tour, I saw 2 shows got better  the second time around.  Steve Howe's face said it all. He hated it. Rabin and Wakeman got along great and they've always talked about doing an album together and it sounds like all these years later they might do it.
And as I understand it, Steve Howe is still bitter about it.  He remains pretty standoffish towards the people affiliated with it. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: June 28, 2010, 04:05:08 PM »
El Barto, it's the same with Howe when he played in GTR with Hackett and with Billy Sherwood when he played with Yes .  He doesn't work well with a second guitarist.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #405 on: June 28, 2010, 11:13:22 PM »
Most of Union pretty much blows, and 99% of the band's fan base agrees that it stinks overall.

I love Union! It's sooo good, one of the better post GFTO albums.

Quad is clearly part of that tiny 1%. :lol :biggrin:

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #406 on: June 29, 2010, 10:06:31 PM »
In that case, if I hate the album, I'll just sell my extra copy to Quad. :biggrin:

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #407 on: June 30, 2010, 08:57:05 AM »
A question.  Not being very well-versed on Yes, I'll defer to the experts.

My bro tells me he'd read that "The guy from the Buggles sang Owner of a Lonely Heart".  I pointed out that Trevor Horn, from the Buggles, produced 90125, but it was undoubtedly Anderson's voice on that song.  NOBODY can cop his vocals.  Best I can determine is that Horn maybe contributed background vocals on the chorus, but not even certain of that.  Anyone know?

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #408 on: June 30, 2010, 09:16:18 AM »
A question.  Not being very well-versed on Yes, I'll defer to the experts.

My bro tells me he'd read that "The guy from the Buggles sang Owner of a Lonely Heart".  I pointed out that Trevor Horn, from the Buggles, produced 90125, but it was undoubtedly Anderson's voice on that song.  NOBODY can cop his vocals.  Best I can determine is that Horn maybe contributed background vocals on the chorus, but not even certain of that.  Anyone know?

Jon Anderson sung "Owner of A Lonely Heart".   Trevor Horn produced the album.

FYI  Trevor Horn sung ALL the vocals for the Yes album Drama, which kicks all hell out of 90125.  
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #409 on: June 30, 2010, 12:09:26 PM »
Your brother may be getting his Trevors confused.

Trevor Horn is "the guy from the Buggles" who did all lead vocals on Drama.

Trevor Rabin is on 90125 and does background vocals and some leads ("much better than a") on "Owner of a Lonely Heart".

LudwigVan:  Are you positive that Horn does ALL vocals on Drama?  The backgrounds don't sound like him; they still sound like Howe and Squire to me.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #410 on: June 30, 2010, 12:11:59 PM »
Your brother may be getting his Trevors confused.

Trevor Horn is "the guy from the Buggles" who did all lead vocals on Drama.

Trevor Rabin is on 90125 and does background vocals and some leads ("much better than a") on "Owner of a Lonely Heart".

LudwigVan:  Are you positive that Horn does ALL vocals on Drama?  The backgrounds don't sound like him; they still sound like Howe and Squire to me.

Oh Squire definitely does background vocals on Drama, and I'm pretty sure Howe does too.

And I think Trevor [Rabin]'s voice is actually a pretty good match up with Jon's. He sounds great on Big Generator, especially.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #411 on: June 30, 2010, 02:50:57 PM »
A lot of the "purist" Yesfans dismiss Drama because Jon Anderson isn't on it and "it's not Yes without Jon Anderson".  That's just plain crap.  Horn's voice harmonizes and blends with Howe's and Squire's the same way, and it's that combination that makes it sound like Yes.  Compare that to 90125 and other Rabin-era albums.  Jon sings lead on most of the songs, but that doesn't make them sound like Yes.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: June 30, 2010, 03:25:41 PM »
Drama is better than than a ton of the albums with Jon.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #413 on: June 30, 2010, 03:37:20 PM »
Sorry Orbert, I meant all LEAD vocals on Drama.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #414 on: June 30, 2010, 03:44:10 PM »
I thought that might be what you meant, but the way you wrote ALL in all-caps made me think you were pretty sure, and suddenly I wasn't so sure anymore.  It's been 30 years since I read the liner notes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #415 on: June 30, 2010, 04:54:30 PM »
Actually, Squire does some lead vocals in "Machine Messiah" during the part where they trade off in a call and response type section.  But, yeah, basically, Horn does almost all of the lead vocals on Drama.

Drama is better than than a ton of the albums with Jon.

I wouldn't say a ton, but definitely the following:

Tormato
Union
Open Your Eyes
Magnification

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #416 on: June 30, 2010, 04:56:45 PM »
Also include Talk and Big Generator and I'd agree.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #417 on: June 30, 2010, 05:01:34 PM »
No way.  I love Talk, and consider it their best post-70s album BY FAR.  In fact, it would be in my Yes top 5.  Yes, I went there. :)

And I like Big Generator quite a bit, too.  "Shoot High Aim Low," "Rhythm of Love," "Holy Lamb," "I'm Running" and "Final Eyes" are all great tunes.   

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #418 on: June 30, 2010, 06:55:51 PM »
Big Generator gets shit on for no reason. The two middle songs on the album are filler-ish (Almost Like Love and Love Will Find A Way... anyone noticing a pattern in song titles here?) but everything else is great. The vocal harmonies on that album are some of my favorite from any Yes album since Tales, and while the music itself lacks without Steve Howe on guitar, the arrangements are still pretty good, albeit pop and not very progressive.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #419 on: July 01, 2010, 08:16:59 AM »
And that's why it tends to get shit on.  90125, Big Generator, and Talk are all good-to-very-good albums.  Solid writing, good production, and great musicianship.  But Yesfans don't listen to Yes for amazing, well-crafted pop; they want full-blown prog excess.  Screaming Moog solos, wild guitar countermelodies during verses and chorus, harp, pipe organ, bells, choir, and stringed instruments most people have never even heard of.  That's Yes.

But Rabin never intended the 90125 band to be Yes, and it is his band and bears his mark.  So most people who discovered Yes via "Owner of a Lonely Heart" checked out the back catalogue and went "what the fuck?" and all the old school Yesfans who heard Yes was back bought the new album and went "what the fuck?" and look what happened.  The 80's.  A time of musical desolation.  This is what happens when you fuck with Yes!