Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 264991 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #3395 on: January 30, 2024, 06:42:42 PM »
This always reminds me of the Rick Wakeman interview footage from the Union tour.  He said that he thought Yes would still even after all eight of the then current members were dead.  He compared the band to a symphony orchestra where players come and go.  Not a completely apt comparison given the differences between classical and rock music, but it's still an interesting thing to think about.

Yes has only one "classic era" member and hasn't had any original members since Chris Squire died.  Will it continue when Howe dies or retires (at which point it will have no link to its "classic era")?

Will the Rolling Stones continue after Jagger and/or Richards die?  Chances are we'll find out the answers to these questions within the next decade.

I would say that The Rolling Stones must have Jagger and Richards at the core.  The others are not trivial, but Charlie and Bill have both retired and I would say that Ronnie Wood is not what makes the latest album sound like The Rolling Stones, or not.  It's Mick and Keith.  I wouldn't call it the Stones without them.

There are those who steadfastly (stubbornly) stick to the "No Jon, no Yes" rule.  Fine.  The lead singer is definitely an important part of the core sound.  But there are Yes albums I enjoy which do not have Jon Anderson on lead vocals.  There are Yes albums I enjoy that do not have Steve Howe on guitar and/or Rick Wakeman on keyboards and/or Chris Squire on bass.  Blasphemy, I know.  But that's how I roll.  Yes is more of a "collective" (similar to BBT, as I mentioned) that somehow transcends any given individual's participation.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3396 on: January 31, 2024, 08:46:31 AM »
Yeah, I think all bands are different, and there's no rule for that. Yes very early on established itself as a sort of collective.   The Rolling Stones very early on established itself as sort of the vehicle for Jagger and Richards to fight their way to some semblance of "art". 

Kiss has made waves with saying that it will continue without Simmons and Stanley, but I think that undersells what Kiss is.  Kiss is basically "Paul Stanley's Vision" in the sense that he's driven the decision-making in the band for decades now and I think it can continue as a revue, but the creative force, the innovation will die with Paul.

We all know that DT survived without Mike, but I don't know if that would be the case if it was Mike AND JOHN that decided to pursue other artistic endeavors.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3397 on: January 31, 2024, 11:27:03 AM »
We all know that DT survived without Mike, but I don't know if that would be the case if it was Mike AND JOHN that decided to pursue other artistic endeavors.

Would anyone REALLY notice if John left?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3398 on: January 31, 2024, 11:45:21 AM »
I'd guess I would yes. John's guitar sound is distinct IMHO. (I presume you meant John Petrucci here and not JM)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3399 on: January 31, 2024, 12:26:39 PM »
Kiss has made waves with saying that it will continue without Simmons and Stanley, but I think that undersells what Kiss is.  Kiss is basically "Paul Stanley's Vision" in the sense that he's driven the decision-making in the band for decades now and I think it can continue as a revue, but the creative force, the innovation will die with Paul.

I saw something about that, too.  I don't remember now who they quoted, but as with many things I see attributed to Paul, and most things I see attributed to Gene, I took it with a grain or two of salt.  Once the original quartet broke up, it became clear (to me and my cadre anyway) that Gene and Paul were the core of the band.  You know a lot more about KISS that I do, though, so if it's really just Paul and not so much Gene, I believe you.  But the idea of KISS continuing without them is pretty silly IMO.

Similarly, I wouldn't consider it DT without JP.  They've changed singers, keyboard players, and drummers now.  JM is great, but if he were replaced it would still sound like DT.  I think if MP and JP for some reason left at the same time, Dream Theater wouldn't continue anyway, so it's probably a moot point.  I just don't see JLB, Jordan, and JM checking in with each other and choosing to try to keep DT alive.  It seems far more likely that they'd agree that they had a good run, but they each have other things they can and would like to do.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3400 on: March 11, 2024, 05:22:31 PM »
Just saw that Jon Anderson and The Band Geeks will be touring again this year.  The list of dates appears to be more extensive than last year, and they're doing a southern California date!  Woo hoo!

They're also releasing an album together.

https://www.jonanderson.com/
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3401 on: March 18, 2024, 10:29:23 AM »
Watching the Yes Symphonic show for the first time in a while.  Another great piece.   Chris is on fire, as is Jon, though Chris seems to be a bit... energized.  :).   He's foregone his typical cape for a more laid back black outfit, but during Starship Trooper you'd've thought he was playing Madison Square Garden with Zeppelin!   Haha.  But still top notch playing all around (and not for nothing, but that - the European Festival Orchestra - has to be the best looking symphony I've ever seen).

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3402 on: March 18, 2024, 12:12:26 PM »
There's nothing like a talented group of attractive young musicians.  I was a regular on the old YesFans boards for many years, and when YesSymphonic came out, there was a poll for who was the "hottest" of the young ladies featured in the video.  And by "featured" that of course meant that the camera lingered on them just a bit longer than one might think.  The poll itself may have been in questionable taste, and was decried by many female members, and some male members as well, but let's face it; someone decided on the camera angles and chose to let the camera linger, and some of the young ladies were cute.  There's a reason why it was edited the way it was.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3403 on: March 18, 2024, 12:16:57 PM »
Just saw that Jon Anderson and The Band Geeks will be touring again this year.  The list of dates appears to be more extensive than last year, and they're doing a southern California date!  Woo hoo!

They're also releasing an album together.

https://www.jonanderson.com/

Man, not happy with the Chicago date. Wish they would've returned to the Arcada. They sold it out so I guess they wanted a bigger venue. Probably won't make that show. Actually, I can't make that show. The wife and I will be in Pigeon Forge for our anniversary. Don't feel so bad now. Excited for the album coming later this year.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3404 on: March 18, 2024, 12:50:54 PM »
There's nothing like a talented group of attractive young musicians.  I was a regular on the old YesFans boards for many years, and when YesSymphonic came out, there was a poll for who was the "hottest" of the young ladies featured in the video.  And by "featured" that of course meant that the camera lingered on them just a bit longer than one might think.  The poll itself may have been in questionable taste, and was decried by many female members, and some male members as well, but let's face it; someone decided on the camera angles and chose to let the camera linger, and some of the young ladies were cute.  There's a reason why it was edited the way it was.

At the start of Roundabout, the entire orchestra came out and stood in a line across the stage, dancing, in front of Alan White.  I wonder if that was why the band played a relatively abbreviated version (only about six minutes!)  :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3405 on: March 18, 2024, 01:46:23 PM »

There was one girl - an oboe player if I remember correctly - who was SUPER into the music.  She was obviously over the moon being there, and her attitude was infectious.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3406 on: March 24, 2024, 03:44:22 PM »
So March 21st was the 30th anniversary from the release date of the album "TALK". This is one of my favorite Yes albums and the sound of it stands alone in its own unique way. I've seen Yes many times live, but the TALK tour was by far the best Yes experience I've witnessed. Endless Dream is amongst the greatest Yes epics. I can't believe it's been thirty years allready. Any thoughts about this album?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3407 on: March 25, 2024, 12:27:51 AM »
Of the four albums the band released with Trevor Rabin (I'm including Union), Talk is my favorite. The poppy stuff is better than all of the poppy stuff on the preceding albums, and then there are some other bits that are heavy, progressive or experimental. It's a refreshing listen and an underrated release.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3408 on: March 25, 2024, 06:36:54 AM »
Of the four albums the band released with Trevor Rabin (I'm including Union), Talk is my favorite. The poppy stuff is better than all of the poppy stuff on the preceding albums, and then there are some other bits that are heavy, progressive or experimental. It's a refreshing listen and an underrated release.

I think this is fair.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3409 on: March 25, 2024, 07:52:08 AM »
Talk got screwed a bit.  It was released on Victory Music, which went bankrupt shortly after, and Talk didn't end up getting much promotion.  There was no WWW yet, so promotion was still a major factor in album sales.  That and word of mouth, and since it had been three years since Union, basically no one knew a new Yes album was out there.  That's a bummer because in many ways it is the best of the "YesWest" era.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3410 on: March 25, 2024, 09:00:49 AM »
Speaking of Talk:

New four-disc box set for 'great lost Yes album' Talk due in May

Hmmm... are hyperlinks being done differently these days?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3411 on: March 25, 2024, 09:57:09 AM »
Thanks for the link! After reading the article,  there were no live recordings from that tour that were done right, as Trevor lamented. Only soundboard recordings. There's one from New York that will be in the box set. I actually have a live recording on 3 cd's from the Gorge amphitheater in Washington state, that a lady recorded on Adat from the audience perspective. 7-10-1994.  It's awesome!  :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3412 on: March 25, 2024, 09:59:23 AM »

You need to put spaces between the parentheses and the link.

With respect to Talk, I didn't know it was released at the time.  I think I found it in a discount bin a good 5-10 years later.  I bought it and don't think I listened to it immediately and it got buried.  I usually listen to it every time folks here gush about how great it is.  And I just don't get it.  It has a couple decent moments, but nothing sticks.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3413 on: March 25, 2024, 10:37:38 AM »
Thanks for the link! After reading the article,  there were no live recordings from that tour that were done right, as Trevor lamented. Only soundboard recordings. There's one from New York that will be in the box set. I actually have a live recording on 3 cd's from the Gorge amphitheater in Washington state, that a lady recorded on Adat from the audience perspective. 7-10-1994.  It's awesome!  :coolio
Not a huge Yes fan so I don't collect their boots, but I read that on the Talk tour, the band made devices available for those who were hard of hearing so that they could hear the concert better. So some enterprising bootleggers got ahold of these devices at numerous shows, hooked them up to their tape recorders and made (essentially) soundboard recordings. So apparently there's many more shows from the Talk tour in circulation with superior sound than any other tour.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3414 on: March 25, 2024, 10:57:29 AM »
You need to put spaces between the parentheses and the link.

That's wacky, because I didn't put in the parentheses in the first place.  Also, the link and prompt text seem to be correct now, and I didn't change anything.  Oh well.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3415 on: March 25, 2024, 11:03:31 AM »
Talk was never one of my favorites but i do generally enjoy the Rabin era. i'm also one of the weirdos that likes Union (my first Yes album, lol)
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3416 on: March 25, 2024, 11:39:48 AM »
Speaking of Talk:

This looks nice, but I'm not sure I'm willing to plunk down $50+ for the box set, despite being a pretty good mid-era Yes album (and probably my favorite of the Rabin albums). That live show track list looks appealing, but like others have said, there are numerous A+ boots out there that would probably be about the same. If this goes on sale I might get it, but I'm not in any rush to get it on release date.

Did they ever play "State Of Play" live? Looks like that was the only then-new song they didn't play live on that tour, at least on that particular show included in this box set. Pretty amazing to see them play so much new material at the time, and still make room for other Rabin-era songs. Good picks for the pre-Rabin stuff, though, even though it's only three songs. It's been a long time since I've listened to any of the Yes boots I collected back in the 00s, but I do wonder how well Rabin handled Howe's parts by this point in his career with Yes. I may have to dig out those boots and give them a spin as I'm pretty sure I collected a couple Talk era shows (both video and audio).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3417 on: March 25, 2024, 11:42:25 AM »
That's wacky, because I didn't put in the parentheses in the first place.  Also, the link and prompt text seem to be correct now, and I didn't change anything.  Oh well.

Links were definitely bugged today, I tested myself earlier, but looks like they are fixed

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3418 on: March 25, 2024, 02:38:13 PM »
Not a huge Yes fan so I don't collect their boots, but I read that on the Talk tour, the band made devices available for those who were hard of hearing so that they could hear the concert better. So some enterprising bootleggers got ahold of these devices at numerous shows, hooked them up to their tape recorders and made (essentially) soundboard recordings. So apparently there's many more shows from the Talk tour in circulation with superior sound than any other tour.
Very interesting!  They also presented that tour in surround sound. I remember hearing it quite well at the Gorge show. Especially during Endless Dream when they get to the part with all the weird panning that almost sounds like a screaming crow or raptor..  :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3419 on: March 26, 2024, 07:42:11 PM »
i'm also one of the weirdos that likes Union (my first Yes album, lol)
I love Union!  Also my first Yes album..

« Reply #3420 on: March 27, 2024, 07:26:31 AM »
I love Union!  Also my first Yes album..

it just has a little bit of everything on it, and a lot of the songs haven't aged poorly at all
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline DTA

« Reply #3421 on: March 28, 2024, 07:23:52 AM »
Union is great, and it sounds oddly coherent considering two different groups (and outsiders) were involved.

I love Talk but I’m not sure I need 4 discs of it.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #3422 on: March 28, 2024, 08:11:49 AM »
Union is great, and it sounds oddly coherent considering two different groups (and outsiders) were involved.

I love Talk but I’m not sure I need 4 discs of it.

This. I’ve been a big fan of both of these albums since day one. People bag in Union but Yes has definitely made worse albums.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3423 on: March 28, 2024, 08:15:40 AM »
This. I’ve been a big fan of both of these albums since day one. People bag in Union but Yes has definitely made worse albums.

Open Your Eyes

I like Onion, but the Rabin songs - the songs with Squire - have certainly aged with me much better.  I respect Tony Levin, and love a lot of what he does (particularly with Gabriel) but he wasn't a great fit for Yes, IMO.

« Reply #3424 on: March 28, 2024, 05:05:04 PM »
Open Your Eyes

I like Onion, but the Rabin songs - the songs with Squire - have certainly aged with me much better.  I respect Tony Levin, and love a lot of what he does (particularly with Gabriel) but he wasn't a great fit for Yes, IMO.

I agree. I love Levin in so many capacities but thinking back on them all Yes isn't even one I ever consider
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #3425 on: March 28, 2024, 05:31:37 PM »
You can tell the Rabin songs were well crafted and ready to be used.  The ABWH tracks were thrown together with bits and pieces. Still some good bits and pieces in there.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3426 on: March 29, 2024, 08:49:28 PM »
Speaking of Talk:

Bring it on.

Was watching a few 84-85 era shows this week and I forgot how much the energy was off the charts. At least for the 90125 album. Never really familiarized myself with the arrangements of the older material so that was a bit jarring except for the improv jamming.

Offline glassprisoner

« Reply #3427 on: March 31, 2024, 08:48:23 AM »
Never really got into them or ELP. Too inaccessible for me. Odd, as I'm a huge DT fan. Purists will hate, bit I really enjoy the Buggles Album (90215)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3428 on: March 31, 2024, 03:41:44 PM »
The "Buggles album" usually refers to Drama, since that's the album The Buggles played on.  Trevor Horn on vocals, Geoff Downes on keyboards.  90125 was the first of the "YesWest" era.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3429 on: April 05, 2024, 07:11:48 PM »
So who agrees that Endless Dream is a top tier Yes epic??  :coolio