Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 265085 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #3360 on: November 17, 2023, 10:16:18 AM »
Trevor Rabin should do a collab with Taylor Swift

I'd pay for that.
It would surely be interesting.  But where does that suggestion come from lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3361 on: November 17, 2023, 10:19:33 AM »

I'd pay for that.

my neurodivergent brain lol
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline HOF

« Reply #3362 on: November 17, 2023, 10:40:25 AM »
Taylor Swift and Trevor Rabin produced by Trevor Horn. There you go.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3363 on: November 17, 2023, 10:57:01 AM »

I'd pay for that.

Next collab suggestion:  Peanut butter and pimento chesse
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3364 on: November 17, 2023, 01:07:09 PM »

I'd pay for that.

Ewww.  Way to make it weird...

HAHAHA.

« Reply #3365 on: November 17, 2023, 06:01:25 PM »

I'd pay for that.

Ewww.  Way to make it weird...

HAHAHA.

:rollin :mehlin :rollin :rollin

anyway the idea of Trevor Horn producing it is actually pretty fucking dope, lmao. i would pay for that trio collab, lmao
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3366 on: December 05, 2023, 09:15:03 AM »
So...  I finally picked up the video for "9012Live".  I stayed away because I knew it didn't have what I still consider the highlight of that tour, the live "Hearts" with the lasers (which they dropped early on and didn't have at the end of the tour or the second and subsequent legs). 

But I'm wading through the interviews and docs on the disk and it's fascinating to go back and see these interactions.  There's an interview with Jon where he says the tour is "laying the groundwork for the next two years or so, or however long this lasts".  He's smiling, and I think he knew there wasn't a life-long commitment here.  Chris mentions the hardships of the previous couple years and also seems resigned to the fact that this was now a unit whose stability was measured in increments.

Interesting that in the interview, done presumably in 1983, Jon Anderson says point blank that he didn't want to talk about Brian Lane (who managed the Drama-incarnation of Yes), and the statement was said right after clips of Alan and Tony saying that they did not trust Brian at all.   BUT... Lane managed Asia (Howe), ABWH, and the Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman lineup, so they must've settled their differences.  :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3367 on: December 05, 2023, 09:33:27 AM »
So...  I finally picked up the video for "9012Live".

Damn...I haven't watched that in probably 30 years, but I think I still have my VHS copy (did they release it on DVD?).  The wife and son will be out of town from tomorrow through Sunday, so I may pop it in.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3368 on: December 05, 2023, 10:22:54 AM »
Interesting.  I never bothered with the video because the album (9012Live: The Solos) is a bizarre release that includes the solos, a few songs, and... that's all.  The solo segments of a Yes concert have always been an important part of the show, but releasing them without the rest of the concert is kinda pointless IMO.  Anyway, I never checked out the video because I assumed it was the same track listing.

According to Wiki, it was released on DVD and has a bunch of bonus stuff, including just the concert footage without the effects and also "Roundabout" which wasn't on the original VHS release.

Being something of a Yes completist, I should actually try to hunt down a copy.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3369 on: December 05, 2023, 11:15:07 AM »
I mean, it's a GREAT show, for what it is, but it's not a complete show (it's directed by Steven Soderbergh, so there's "art" involved, too) and they are amusingly dated with the hair and parachute clothes, but those sunsofbitches could PLAY in the day.  White and Squire are beasts, and I have secretly preferred some of the more muscular versions of the songs with Rabin.

1. Introduction (an amusing, if not more than mildly sexist, video)
2. Cinema
3. Leave It
4. Hold On
5. I've Seen All Good People
6. Changes
7. Make It Easy/Owner Of A Lonely Heart
8. It Can Happen
9. City Of Love
10. Starship Trooper
---
11. Roundabout (bonus features)

The video (and, in part, the CD) omit:
4a. Our Song
4b. Hearts (the best part of the show, IMO)
5a. Solly's Beard (Rabin solo, it's on 9012Live the CD)
6a. And You And I (second best part of the show, and the classic song done best by Rabin, IMO)
6b. Soon (Anderson solos, it's on 9012Live the CD)
8a. Amazing Grace/Whitefish (Squire/White solo, it's on 9012Live the CD)
11a Gimme Some Lovin' (second encore)

Dammit, I miss Chris Squire.  He was so much fun on stage.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 11:23:05 AM by Stadler »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3370 on: December 05, 2023, 11:25:01 AM »
Interesting.  I never bothered with the video because the album (9012Live: The Solos) is a bizarre release that includes the solos, a few songs, and... that's all.  The solo segments of a Yes concert have always been an important part of the show, but releasing them without the rest of the concert is kinda pointless IMO.  Anyway, I never checked out the video because I assumed it was the same track listing.

According to Wiki, it was released on DVD and has a bunch of bonus stuff, including just the concert footage without the effects and also "Roundabout" which wasn't on the original VHS release.

It can be expensive; in some places it's $70, $80 bucks, but if you're diligent, you can find it for closer to $20.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3371 on: December 05, 2023, 11:57:43 AM »
I mean, it's a GREAT show, for what it is, but it's not a complete show (it's directed by Steven Soderbergh, so there's "art" involved, too) and they are amusingly dated with the hair and parachute clothes, but those sunsofbitches could PLAY in the day.  White and Squire are beasts, and I have secretly preferred some of the more muscular versions of the songs with Rabin.

1. Introduction (an amusing, if not more than mildly sexist, video)
2. Cinema
3. Leave It
4. Hold On
5. I've Seen All Good People
6. Changes
7. Make It Easy/Owner Of A Lonely Heart
8. It Can Happen
9. City Of Love
10. Starship Trooper
---
11. Roundabout (bonus features)

The video (and, in part, the CD) omit:
4a. Our Song
4b. Hearts (the best part of the show, IMO)
5a. Solly's Beard (Rabin solo, it's on 9012Live the CD)
6a. And You And I (second best part of the show, and the classic song done best by Rabin, IMO)
6b. Soon (Anderson solos, it's on 9012Live the CD)
8a. Amazing Grace/Whitefish (Squire/White solo, it's on 9012Live the CD)
11a Gimme Some Lovin' (second encore)

Dammit, I miss Chris Squire.  He was so much fun on stage.

I've always wished the band would release a complete show from the 90125 Tour on CD, and maybe even bonus tracks from shows where they might have swapped out songs (did they do that back then? Or was the set the same throughout the whole tour?). Seems like a huge missed opportunity. Maybe they'll get to it next year since it'll be the 40th Anniversary of the 9012Live tour?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3372 on: December 05, 2023, 12:48:22 PM »
They did swap stuff out, both within legs and between legs.  Long Distance Runaround, Yours Is No Disgrace, Perpetual Change... they were all played at some point or another.   They were good shows.  I saw the first and second legs.  Say what you want about the new music, but it a) translated live, and the b) the band clearly enjoyed playing it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3373 on: December 05, 2023, 01:21:19 PM »

I'll have to hunt down the DVD too.  I never bothered with the album (EP?) because I've never been a big fan of solo spots (not live and definitely not on an album).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3374 on: December 05, 2023, 06:04:33 PM »
Ignore my other post; it's pretty readily available for $15, $20 on eBay.  There's even someone selling the DVD and CD together for like $40.

Also, Alan White slays the intro to Hold On.

Also, the solo to Owner Of A Lonely Heart is AMAZING live; he plays it note-for-note, but it's killer.

Also, there was almost an Asia with Wetton, Palmer, Rabin and Wakeman.  But Kalodner said he didn't like Rabin's songwriting.  WTF?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 06:58:16 AM by Stadler »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3375 on: December 05, 2023, 08:33:07 PM »
Jon Anderson - Christmas EP 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALiSFcphgvM

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3376 on: December 08, 2023, 11:36:24 PM »

Also, there was almost an Asia with Wetton, Palmer, Rabin and Wakeman.  But Kalodner said he didn't like Rabin's songwriting.  WTF?

What? Asia with Rabin and Wakeman? Did I forget about this?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3377 on: December 12, 2023, 08:50:15 AM »

It was early days, early on, but as I said Kalodner didn't think Rabin's writing was "commercial enough". The irony, right?  Rabin said this in one of the interviews on the 9021Live set.

I'm on a Yes kick; I'm actually listening to the Keys to Ascension live video now; man, they were so good.  I miss Chris Squire a lot.  We never did a "bass players" list here, but he's probably number one. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3378 on: December 19, 2023, 04:54:14 PM »

It was early days, early on, but as I said Kalodner didn't think Rabin's writing was "commercial enough". The irony, right?  Rabin said this in one of the interviews on the 9021Live set.

Checked David Gallant's Heat Of The Moment book and Rabin is mentioned which I'd forgotten (Now recall there are Rabin Demos on you tube somewhere.)

No mention of Wakeman being considered. Journey's vocalist before Steve Perry (Fleishman?) was also considered early on too according to that book.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #3379 on: January 23, 2024, 06:33:52 AM »
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/yes-prog-rock-billy-sherwood-1234939989/

Interesting interview with Billy. Most notable for fans of the current Yes line-up... is that we will be getting another new Yes album. I don't think it has yet happened in my lifetime that Yes have released 3 albums so close together. It's always nice to hear him talk about Chris as well.
Well worth a read.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3380 on: January 23, 2024, 06:43:20 AM »
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/yes-prog-rock-billy-sherwood-1234939989/

Interesting interview with Billy. Most notable for fans of the current Yes line-up... is that we will be getting another new Yes album. I don't think it has yet happened in my lifetime that Yes have released 3 albums so close together. It's always nice to hear him talk about Chris as well.
Well worth a read.

If the next Yes album is out before the end of 2025, that'll mark three albums in 4 years (The Quest in 2021 and last year's Mirror To The Sky). This hasn't happened since the 1997-1999-2001 run of Open Your EyesThe Ladder, and Magnification,  so it has definitely been quite awhile.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 01:47:00 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

« Reply #3381 on: January 29, 2024, 01:43:30 PM »
will it be good though? i thought Mirror to the Sky wasn't bad but i'd guess they can't match it up again so quickly
Welcome to the Forums!

« Reply #3382 on: January 30, 2024, 06:36:00 AM »
will it be good though? i thought Mirror to the Sky wasn't bad but i'd guess they can't match it up again so quickly

Imho Mirror is easily the best post-Anderson release, and each album since H&E has gotten steadily better. The signs seem to point to it being a pretty good release. Most of Mirror and The Quest were written in the same period and I think the broad opinion is that Mirror is easily the superior album. So I would guess the time frame potentially doesn't impact the quality of it too much... but, I suppose we shall see!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3383 on: January 30, 2024, 07:17:21 AM »
I actually liked Mirror even less than the previous two albums. The Quest actually had a couple of really good tunes, Heaven and earth at least featured some fun grooves and melodies in major keys, but Mirror was a chore to get through.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3384 on: January 30, 2024, 07:25:08 AM »
Heaven & Earth was boring
The Quest was boring
Mirror To The Sky was boring

New one will probably be boring too.

I'm all for bands not to become solely a nostalgia act but release new material once in a while but imo Yes should just call it quits. I can't imagine that they release something from this point on that will be interesting.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

« Reply #3385 on: January 30, 2024, 10:15:28 AM »
they wrote close to the edge tho, we owe it to them to see if they can repeat its glory
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3386 on: January 30, 2024, 10:20:14 AM »
It's hard for me to defend contemporary Yes without sounding too much like a fanboy, but I liked The Quest and Mirror to the Sky.  I thought Heaven & Earth was pretty boring overall and I found it a chore to get through, but the last two have at least had some interesting things on them.  I don't think Yes will ever recapture the fire they had back in the 70's, but I don't think that's the goal here anyway.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3387 on: January 30, 2024, 10:44:33 AM »
they wrote close to the edge tho, we owe it to them to see if they can repeat its glory

They?

There's only one person in the current band who had anything to do with Close to the Edge, and it's been 20 years since the band had a majority of members involved in CTTE.  While I appreciate Steve Howe for all his great work in the past, neither I nor any other fan owes Steve Howe anything.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3388 on: January 30, 2024, 10:59:07 AM »

They?

There's only one person in the current band who had anything to do with Close to the Edge, and it's been 20 years since the band had a majority of members involved in CTTE.  While I appreciate Steve Howe for all his great work in the past, neither I nor any other fan owes Steve Howe anything.

I'm with Orbert.   H&E blew, but the last two aren't bad (I attribute that to Billy Sherwood, myself).   But they are a shell of what they once were.  I love Drama, and am a big fan of the Rabin era, but the original Yes dynamic FOR ME was Anderson and Squire, and they are no longer a part of the creative process.

Offline emtee

« Reply #3389 on: January 30, 2024, 11:01:13 AM »
Fly From Here is the last album I can say I really enjoy. I still go back to it every few months.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3390 on: January 30, 2024, 12:22:35 PM »
Fly From Here is the last album I can say I really enjoy. I still go back to it every few months.

I'd agree with that.  The original or the redo with Trevor Horn? 

« Reply #3391 on: January 30, 2024, 12:50:46 PM »
I'd also agree with Orbert. Enjoyed quite a few moments on The Quest, and think Mirror is genuinely a great album... but I am quite possibly one of the biggest Yes fanboys out there.

I'm all for bands not to become solely a nostalgia act but release new material once in a while but imo Yes should just call it quits. I can't imagine that they release something from this point on that will be interesting.

I think it just comes down to (whatever Steve Howe may think, aside) that Chris and Alan both wanted it to. They were both such massive characters I would think at least Jon D, Billy and Jay would want to honour that wish. I remember Rick also said at some point that he sees the name continuing once they're all long gone.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3392 on: January 30, 2024, 03:03:42 PM »
To me, Yes is similar to Big Big Train in that the lineup has changed many times over the years, but the "spirit" of the band has remained consistent.  There are members were around for a long time, some have come and gone, and fans each have their own ideas about who is most "important" to the sound, and of course everyone has their favorite albums, but both bands continue to make new music.

Also, I just listened to Mirror to the Sky again, and man, Steve Howe should not do lead vocals.

« Reply #3393 on: January 30, 2024, 04:45:11 PM »
Every time he sings lead, I'm reminded of "come to Australi-UH"
Iconic as part of the Yes harmony. But on his own... hmmm

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3394 on: January 30, 2024, 05:05:36 PM »
This always reminds me of the Rick Wakeman interview footage from the Union tour.  He said that he thought Yes would still even after all eight of the then current members were dead.  He compared the band to a symphony orchestra where players come and go.  Not a completely apt comparison given the differences between classical and rock music, but it's still an interesting thing to think about.

Yes has only one "classic era" member and hasn't had any original members since Chris Squire died.  Will it continue when Howe dies or retires (at which point it will have no link to its "classic era")?

Will the Rolling Stones continue after Jagger and/or Richards die?  Chances are we'll find out the answers to these questions within the next decade.