Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 265154 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #3220 on: March 10, 2023, 06:25:39 AM »
Not bad.  I like how the bass is pretty in-your-face, with Sherwood doing his best to channel Squire.  Drumming is pretty tight, and keeps things moving.  Doesn't sound lethargic like so much of their recent material has.  Keyboards are kinda weird.  I usually like Geoff Downes' keyboards but he's picked some weirdass patches here.  Davison as usual sounds okay, but is basically a pale imitation of Anderson.  Didn't hear much of note from Howe, which is actually surprising.

It sounds like a Yes cover band, to be honest.  Davison sounds like a poor man's Jon Anderson, and Sherwood sounds like a poor man's Chris Squire (his tone isn't thick and fat like Squire's was).  I have never been a fan of Sherwood, so he'd have to do a lot to win me over, but this basically sounds like a cover band trying to sound like old Yes.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3221 on: March 10, 2023, 06:49:46 AM »
Not bad.  I like how the bass is pretty in-your-face, with Sherwood doing his best to channel Squire.  Drumming is pretty tight, and keeps things moving.  Doesn't sound lethargic like so much of their recent material has.  Keyboards are kinda weird.  I usually like Geoff Downes' keyboards but he's picked some weirdass patches here.  Davison as usual sounds okay, but is basically a pale imitation of Anderson.  Didn't hear much of note from Howe, which is actually surprising.

I'm going to listen to this later today, but the recent Yes has two problems for me, which are really the same problem at heart:  One, no Chris Squire.  I really do like Billy Sherwood, and he CHANNELS Squire, but he ISN'T Squire.  For me, no one is. It's also the fatal flaw with ABWH and the non-Squire tracks on Onion. It's just so obvious to me he's got a muscularity and a power that is really the compelling force of Yes.  Yes is prog, sure, but they are at heart a ROCK band, and that comes as much from Squire as anyone else.   Two, Davison is a very, very good singer, but he is missing that same element; he's got Anderson's tone, and he can do the twee stuff, but Anderson is a surprisingly good ROCK singer, and Davison doesn't have that.  On all the live stuff they've released recently, Davison is close enough to Jon that you forget for a second it isn't, but then a passage will come up where I'm waiting for that power in the vocals, and... it just isn't there.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3222 on: March 10, 2023, 06:57:40 AM »
I enjoy the new track, it has a bit more punch than the previous two albums. Even Jon Davison is more in your face than usual.  ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3223 on: March 10, 2023, 08:30:18 AM »
Listening to the new song now.

I do not hate it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3224 on: March 10, 2023, 08:48:07 AM »
The new song is pretty good. Anyone notice the Pale Blue Dot lyric?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3225 on: March 10, 2023, 10:01:41 AM »

It sounds like a Yes cover band, to be honest.  Davison sounds like a poor man's Jon Anderson, and Sherwood sounds like a poor man's Chris Squire (his tone isn't thick and fat like Squire's was).  I have never been a fan of Sherwood, so he'd have to do a lot to win me over, but this basically sounds like a cover band trying to sound like old Yes.

Chris Squire is gone.  Even if Sherwood somehow managed to get that same tone, people would complain about the notes or the playing or something.  No one sounds like Jon Anderson.  Anyone else will in fact sound like someone covering Jon Anderson.

The "Yes cover band" argument is so old.  Of course it will not sound exactly like old Yes.  If all members were still alive and together, it would still not sound like old Yes.  The best we can hope for is music that is interesting and worthwhile to listen to.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #3226 on: March 10, 2023, 01:35:23 PM »
I really enjoyed the new track! Billy really is coming into his own now to me. I thought his playing was fabulous and his tone, for me was as close as it could be to Chris' without it coming over as a copy.

Chris Squire is gone.  Even if Sherwood somehow managed to get that same tone, people would complain about the notes or the playing or something.  No one sounds like Jon Anderson.  Anyone else will in fact sound like someone covering Jon Anderson.

The "Yes cover band" argument is so old.  Of course it will not sound exactly like old Yes.  If all members were still alive and together, it would still not sound like old Yes.  The best we can hope for is music that is interesting and worthwhile to listen to.

This is why I will always have infinite respect and compassion for Billy. He gets a lot of undue hatred. I can't claim to have known Chris in the same way Billy did, but the man was my idol and I can't imagine the pressure Billy must have felt to step into Chris' place.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3227 on: March 10, 2023, 02:41:14 PM »
I couldn't make it through the first listen.  Yeah, it's up-tempo-ish, but it still doesn't really rock.  It could be better.  As Stadler said, at their heart, Yes was a ROCK band, but that isn't there in this song, in my opinion.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #3228 on: March 11, 2023, 03:33:35 AM »
Bothe the main album and the bonus disc together comes out to be 63 minutes. Grinds my gears when bands do this. Just put the bonus songs on the first disc, instead of charging more and gouging customers for no reason. I hate it.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3229 on: March 11, 2023, 05:35:36 AM »
Bothe the main album and the bonus disc together comes out to be 63 minutes. Grinds my gears when bands do this. Just put the bonus songs on the first disc, instead of charging more and gouging customers for no reason. I hate it.

The RIAA considers albums with multiple discs as multiple units sold, so it's possible that when an album comes with a bonus disc, it can be considered as a sale of two units and not just one. I'm no record industry expert so I can't be too sure, but I think I remember reading once that double albums, or albums with extra discs, do count as multiple sales in some instances, but according to a Google search, SoundScan only counts those kinds of sales as one unit (so a 15-disc set counts as 1 just as a single-disc would).

The vinyl track list for MTTS even reflects the CDs as the tracks aren't evenly spread across vinyl sides.
A
1. Cut From The Stars 5:25
2. All Connected 9:02
3. Luminosity 9:04

B
1. Living Out Their Dream 4:45
2. Mirror to the Sky 13:53
3. Circles Of Time 4:59

C
1. Unknown Place  8:15

D
1. One Second Is Enough 4:04
2. Magic Potion 4:08

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline emtee

« Reply #3230 on: March 11, 2023, 06:00:44 AM »
Not bad, not great. Has some of the latter day classic Yes feel to it but doesn't offer anything very exciting.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3231 on: March 11, 2023, 07:48:30 AM »
So is this a double album or an album with a bonus disc? Probably and hopefully the latter.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3232 on: March 11, 2023, 08:03:43 AM »
So is this a double album or an album with a bonus disc? Probably and hopefully the latter.

Considering there is a single-disc edition with the main album, I'd say the 2nd disc is considered "bonus" material. If there was just the 2CD edition ONLY, then I'd say it's a very skewed double album, but the existence of a single-disc package says to me that those other three songs were just bonus songs/cutting-room-floor fodder.

The Quest, on the other hand, ONLY had 2CD packages, which says to me that the second disc was part of the album, despite the packaging saying it was a "Bonus Disc". The digital album even included all 11 songs (8 from the first disc, 3 from the second), so who knows at this point. Inside Out has done weird and funny things with extra/bonus tracks in the past, so there could be any number of reasons why TQ included the bonus disc in all CD packages, while MTTS has the option.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3233 on: March 11, 2023, 01:25:01 PM »
I still like physical media too, but if it all fits on one disc, use one disc.  Calling it a 2-disc set so that your sales count double or something is lame.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3234 on: March 11, 2023, 02:52:20 PM »
I still like physical media too, but if it all fits on one disc, use one disc.  Calling it a 2-disc set so that your sales count double or something is lame.

If there was a thematic reason for the songs to be separated onto two discs, then I could see a reason, like with Porcupine Tree's The Incident, whose songs could have all fit onto one disc, but Steven Wilson felt the need to keep the four non-song-cycle songs separate from the main part of the album.

As far as I know, Yes' The Quest doesn't have any thematic or narrative concept to justify 3 bonus songs on a whole other disc, and I doubt Mirror To The Sky will either.

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3235 on: March 11, 2023, 03:28:49 PM »
InsideOut has done this before, not only with The Quest, but also with the latest album by Spock's Beard and the Sea Within album.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3236 on: March 11, 2023, 04:23:08 PM »
I'm one of those, that like their bonus songs separated from the main album, so I don't mind them putting out a double disc.

But then this is later days Yes, which means I will listen to it on spotify, probably fall asleep during it and then decide I don't need to buy it.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online DTwwbwMP

« Reply #3237 on: March 11, 2023, 04:25:46 PM »
Not bad, not great. Has some of the latter day classic Yes feel to it but doesn't offer anything very exciting.

this

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #3238 on: March 12, 2023, 03:08:04 AM »
Inside Out is saying it is a bonus disc, but in their press release are treating it like part of the main album. They can't have their cake and eat it too. Regardless of the cheap reporting tricks they gain, it's still an irritating and cheap move.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3239 on: March 17, 2023, 06:33:54 AM »

It is with enormous regret that, due to unforeseen circumstances beyond the band’s control, YES have taken the decision to postpone their 2023 Relayer European and UK tour.YES and their management have explored every possible avenue to arrange insurance cover for the tour in the event of COVID-related exemption or Act of War exclusion.

The insurance industry has withdrawn all such insurances which made touring possible pre-COVID and before the Ukraine conflict.There have always been calculated risk assessments to consider when touring and YES has unfailingly paid a premium to cover against terrorism in addition to conventional cancellation risks.

With a view to supporting venues and crew, YES toured the UK in 2022 but the band simply cannot undertake such a large-scale tour with so many risks being uninsured. Insurance cover was promised for events in 2023 but this has now been withdrawn until 2024, with confirmations of normality in ’24 following representations to the insurance industry to reassess its attitudes to COVID and Act of War insurance.

Bands at some levels can mitigate against these risks but YES’ touring model creates unjustifiable levels of risk

YES’ 2023 Eventim Apollo (London) show is not happening and tickets are now being re-funded. The remainder of the tour dates are being rescheduled to 2024 with new dates to be announced shortly – all tickets will remain valid.

YES wish to express their sincere regrets to their faithful fans and ask for their understanding. The band has now received the necessary assurances for 2024 and are committed to returning to the stage then.

From the Yes Facebook page about 23 minutes ago.

-Marc.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #3240 on: March 17, 2023, 07:41:47 AM »

It is with enormous regret that, due to unforeseen circumstances beyond the band’s control, YES have taken the decision to postpone their 2023 Relayer European and UK tour.YES and their management have explored every possible avenue to arrange insurance cover for the tour in the event of COVID-related exemption or Act of War exclusion.

The insurance industry has withdrawn all such insurances which made touring possible pre-COVID and before the Ukraine conflict.There have always been calculated risk assessments to consider when touring and YES has unfailingly paid a premium to cover against terrorism in addition to conventional cancellation risks.

With a view to supporting venues and crew, YES toured the UK in 2022 but the band simply cannot undertake such a large-scale tour with so many risks being uninsured. Insurance cover was promised for events in 2023 but this has now been withdrawn until 2024, with confirmations of normality in ’24 following representations to the insurance industry to reassess its attitudes to COVID and Act of War insurance.

Bands at some levels can mitigate against these risks but YES’ touring model creates unjustifiable levels of risk

YES’ 2023 Eventim Apollo (London) show is not happening and tickets are now being re-funded. The remainder of the tour dates are being rescheduled to 2024 with new dates to be announced shortly – all tickets will remain valid.

YES wish to express their sincere regrets to their faithful fans and ask for their understanding. The band has now received the necessary assurances for 2024 and are committed to returning to the stage then.

From the Yes Facebook page about 23 minutes ago.

-Marc.

I won't lie. At this point I'm just resigned to the fact that I am not going to see Relayer played live. This will be the... 4th or 5th time it's been postponed/rescheduled/cancelled now. I'm now curious if the US tour will be announced as expected, or if that is going to be knocked on the head too.
On the plus side, it frees me up to see The Mars Volta on one of their UK dates.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3241 on: March 17, 2023, 08:13:21 AM »
This is a terrible thing to say, but this is a relief. I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted to go see this tour, I've been ruminating on this for months and months.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3242 on: March 21, 2023, 11:57:36 AM »
Brand new interview I did with Rick Wakeman https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-rick-wakeman/

We spoke about his new album and tour, playing with Geddy Lee, the Union tour and much more, even though we only had 15 minutes to talk.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3243 on: March 21, 2023, 12:48:24 PM »
Wow!  You covered a lot in 15 minutes!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3244 on: March 21, 2023, 01:00:16 PM »
Wow!  You covered a lot in 15 minutes!

The interview was VERY rushed, and I knew that was going to be the case...so I thought about going wide with the questions. His agent kept texting me "I need to move on to the next interview".

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3245 on: March 22, 2023, 07:04:17 PM »
Nice interview! :tup :tup

Wakeman always comes across as one of the most likable members of Yes.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3246 on: March 22, 2023, 08:37:53 PM »
Nice interview! :tup :tup

Wakeman always comes across as one of the most likable members of Yes.

Thanks! Yeah, he could have chatted for hous if his PR did not interrupt the interview.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3247 on: March 22, 2023, 09:11:13 PM »
Never seen Yes, but I just bought a ticket to see Jon Anderson and The Band Geeks perform Yes classics in May at the Arcada. I'm pretty excited for this show and to see Jon in such a small venue.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3248 on: March 23, 2023, 06:42:00 AM »
Never seen Yes, but I just bought a ticket to see Jon Anderson and The Band Geeks perform Yes classics in May at the Arcada. I'm pretty excited for this show and to see Jon in such a small venue.

Let me know about that, please.  I saw him a couple years ago in Ridgefield, a 500 seat theater, and he sounded AWESOME.  Really good.  I got to meet him before and he was a gentleman.   He signed some dudes harp!  No, his REAL harp with like 40 strings!  :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3249 on: March 23, 2023, 10:32:26 AM »

I really hope they add some west coast dates.  I also wish Anne Marie was going to be part of this.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3250 on: April 03, 2023, 12:51:59 PM »
Huge interview with Jon. My biggest takeaway, is the excitement I got from reading that he is pretty much sticking with just 70's material on his upcoming tour, except for Mind Drive! So glad I picked up a ticket for this.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/jon-anderson-seventies-yes-throwback-tour-1234698321/
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3251 on: April 03, 2023, 01:52:23 PM »
This is just beautiful on every level:

I woke up from the dream and told my wife. I said, “I just saw Chris. He was heading towards the light of Heaven.” She said, “He loved you.” I said, “Yeah. We were brothers.” It was an incredible moment.

A couple of months later, I was doing a show in Phoenix. I met Chris’ widow, Scotland, and I told her the story. She said to me, “He kept saying before he passed away that he wanted to go to Maui.” There you go.

But you didn’t actually speak with him before he died?
Didn’t need to. He had his life to live, and I had my life. I actually had a great dream about Alan White last night. It was a lovely dream. He was with all the guys in the band … Not just one or two, but everybody who has been in the band. They were up there doing some gig or something. The next minute, he was right next to me. We hugged since he was the best man at my wedding about 25 years ago.

Did you speak?  DIDN'T NEED TO.  I love that so much.   There's a great book called "Visions, Trips, and Crowded Rooms", that I read in the wake of my father's passing.  This isn't exactly that, but it's close enough. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3252 on: April 04, 2023, 06:11:53 AM »
I suspect some would find Anderson's answer there a bit strange, but I thought it was the perfect answer given his personality over the years.  His positivity and optimistic attitude in general, which practically jumped off the pages in that interview, is something a lot of people would do well to emulate these days.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3253 on: April 16, 2023, 09:41:11 PM »
Just got home from the Yes Epics and Classics show in Newark. What an absolutely amazing show. Knowing Jon Anderson’s backing band The Band Geeks personally I knew they had the talent to pull this music off, but they knocked it out of the park, and Jon Anderson sounds incredible at 78 years old. I highly recommend any Yes fan to see this tour when it hits your city.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online DTwwbwMP

« Reply #3254 on: April 17, 2023, 12:28:02 AM »
Was there in Newark as well. Yes, wonderful performance. Was kind of shocked at the low turnout though.