Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 264896 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #3150 on: February 11, 2023, 07:47:22 PM »
I think it would be interesting to see a project from Anderson, Bruford, and either Kaye or Wakeman…either one.

Not sure what you're getting at.  The first two Yes albums featured Anderson, Bruford and Kaye, and ABWH was a thing.

My point was that Anderson, Bruford, and Kaye are the only surviving members of the original lineup (the first two albums) and because of that, it would be interesting to see them do something together.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3151 on: February 11, 2023, 08:19:30 PM »
raelnyc did a doc on Relayer and the solo albums that followed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz3jBBKSkTk

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3152 on: February 12, 2023, 07:12:03 AM »
raelnyc did a doc on Relayer and the solo albums that followed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz3jBBKSkTk

This is incredibly interesting.  My dad was a big fan of Moraz’s solo records, but for some reason, he never got into Relayer.  I’m going to have to dig into his vinyl collection to find the album that has his version of Awaken.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3153 on: February 12, 2023, 07:43:38 AM »
I'm somewhat the opposite regarding Moraz.  I like nearly all of the stuff I've heard him involved with, but his solo albums leave me feeling a bit disappointed.  It all sounds nice and there's some nifty composition going on, but it all feels very pedestrian to me.  But his stuff with Bruford is really cool, Mainhorse and Refugee were both pretty cool, he brought some great stuff to The Moody Blues during his time with them, and Relayer is really different but still one of my favorite Yes albums.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3154 on: February 14, 2023, 07:09:36 AM »
https://www.loudersound.com/news/drummer-jay-schellen-joins-yes-on-a-permanent-basis

Prog legends Yes have announced that US drummer Jay Schellen has now joined the band on a permanent basis. Schellen had been acting as a stand-in for Alan White, who sadly died in May last year.

“We're all delighted to welcome Jay officially into the fold," exclaims guitarist and longest-serving member Steve Howe He's been a great support throughout the last seven years, and we couldn't have found a better all round team player.”

“I am thrilled to become the new drummer with Yes,” adds Schellen. “I grew up playing along to Yes records and I am proud to have worked so closely with my musical hero and great friend Alan White these past few years. I will strive to honour his memory as we drive towards the future with the band.”

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3155 on: February 14, 2023, 09:06:20 AM »
Pretty much expected.  I'm actually surprised that they waited this long to announce it.  Probably they wanted to wait a bit after Alan's passing, and also they're apparently working on a new album, so this gets them a little press attention.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3156 on: February 14, 2023, 09:27:45 AM »
By the way, to we know if the album in question really is a studio album? What if Roger Dean is working on a cover art for another live thing from the archives?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3157 on: February 14, 2023, 02:25:56 PM »
It fascinates me that Jay has had such a history with Yes and is now finally a fully fledged member. From what I can recall, he joined the John Payne version of Asia in the mid 2000's, and just before he would record an album with Payne and Govan as Asia, Geoff Downes left the band to reunite with Howe/Wetton/Palmer as the original line-up. This left Payne to reform the trio as GPS and invited Ryo Okumoto of Spock's Beard to play on their album Window To The Soul (one of my favorites of that era, more so than much of the Payne-led Asia).

Jay was also in Conspiracy with Squire and Sherwood, as well as CIRCA: with Sherwood and Kaye (and Jimmy Haun). It seems like it was only a matter of time before Jay became a full-time member of Yes considering how many Yes-related projects and members' bands he was a part of.

I hope what Roger Dean is painting a new cover for is a new studio album as I would love to hear what Jay can do with Yes in the studio, and hopefully he can breathe some life into Howe and company.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #3158 on: February 14, 2023, 02:37:23 PM »
By the way, to we know if the album in question really is a studio album? What if Roger Dean is working on a cover art for another live thing from the archives?

It certainly does seem very likely it's a full studio album. Potentially with Alan and Jay sharing drumming duties.

From the well connected Henry Potts at bondegezou.co.uk :

The band have worked on a new studio album. The blurb for Davison at the Taylor Hawkins Tribute Concert website said, "2023 will see the release of a new YES studio album, and further tours in Europe, the UK and USA." In an interview conducted late 2022, Davison said, "Steve [Howe] is as excited as ever to propel the band into the far-reaching realms of studio creativity, and we're currently exploring such horizons on our latest effort, which'll be released early next year." A Feb 2023 interview had this exchange with Sherwood:

Interviewer: I understand there is a new [Yes] album in the works for 2023. What can you tell us about the project?

Sherwood: I'm not at liberty to discuss except to say we're all very excited about it.

Interviewer: Was Alan involved in any part of the process, or was it started after his passing?

Sherwood: It was right after production of the Quest record. Demos were plenty, pencil sketches of ideas etc...

Links to the interviews:
https://ramzine.co.uk/interviews/jon-davison-of-yes-continuing-with-the-quest/
http://progsheet1.hypermart.net/billysherwood2023.html

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3159 on: February 15, 2023, 07:16:29 AM »

It certainly does seem very likely it's a full studio album. Potentially with Alan and Jay sharing drumming duties.

The band have worked on a new studio album. The blurb for Davison at the Taylor Hawkins Tribute Concert website said, "2023 will see the release of a new YES studio album, and further tours in Europe, the UK and USA." In an interview conducted late 2022, Davison said, "Steve [Howe] is as excited as ever to propel the band into the far-reaching realms of studio creativity, and we're currently exploring such horizons on our latest effort, which'll be released early next year." A Feb 2023 interview had this exchange with Sherwood:

Interviewer: I understand there is a new [Yes] album in the works for 2023. What can you tell us about the project?

Sherwood: I'm not at liberty to discuss except to say we're all very excited about it.

Interviewer: Was Alan involved in any part of the process, or was it started after his passing?

Sherwood: It was right after production of the Quest record. Demos were plenty, pencil sketches of ideas etc...

Links to the interviews:

I'm as big a Yes fan as anyone, but that bolded just doesn't ring true to me at all.  AT ALL. 

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3160 on: February 15, 2023, 07:28:04 AM »
Yeah, bring on another snoozefest, exactly what we're waiting for.  ;)
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

« Reply #3161 on: February 15, 2023, 07:45:30 AM »

Links to the interviews:

I'm as big a Yes fan as anyone, but that bolded just doesn't ring true to me at all.  AT ALL.

I have to agree. My hope is that Billy will force a switch in energy as he did with the recent live performances. That being said, I did really enjoy The Quest. It wasn't particularly energetic but it was a nice listen. I'm excited to see where this one goes. Even if it's not a new creative endeavour

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3162 on: February 15, 2023, 07:47:21 AM »

Links to the interviews:

Holy hell is that second link unreadable!  I thought we left that type of website design behind in the late 90's!

And yeah, that bolded part made me LOL.  Steve Howe hasn't been innovative since Drama, and the likely hood this next album is more of the same milquetoast pablum they've delivered on their two previous records is way higher than them journeying "into the far-reaching realms of studio creativity"  :lol.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3163 on: February 15, 2023, 08:07:17 AM »
WTF does "the far-reaching realms of studio creativity" even mean?  It sounds to me like going a little crazy and actually taking some chances in the studio.  I'd love to hear that, but I don't hold out much hope at this point.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3164 on: February 15, 2023, 08:08:26 AM »
propel the band into the far-reaching realms of studio creativity

How can Yes release two albums like Heaven & Earth and The Quest (and a bunch of other mediocre ones) and then STILL say stuff like this with such confidence  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

« Reply #3165 on: February 15, 2023, 08:21:39 AM »

Links to the interviews:

Holy hell is that second link unreadable!  I thought we left that type of website design behind in the late 90's!

And yeah, that bolded part made me LOL.  Steve Howe hasn't been innovative since Drama, and the likely hood this next album is more of the same milquetoast pablum they've delivered on their two previous records is way higher than them journeying "into the far-reaching realms of studio creativity"  :lol.

I think it's a touch unfair to say he hasn't been innovative since Drama. The GTR album, despite it's flaws, was pretty innovative with it's use of guitar synthesisers. A lot of the late 90s and early 00s Yes stuff was, at the very least, interesting. Hell, even Fly From Here had it's moments. I think Heaven and Earth was the only Yes album that didn't at least try to do something new, even if the attempt wasn't particularly pulled off well

Offline billboy73

« Reply #3166 on: February 15, 2023, 08:31:23 AM »
Steve Howe and Yes making an EDM record  :biggrin:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3167 on: February 15, 2023, 08:32:48 AM »
I heard there's a rap breakdown in the middle of the new single.  :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3168 on: February 15, 2023, 08:56:57 AM »
Steve Howe and Yes making an EDM record  :biggrin:
I mean, I'm here for it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #3169 on: February 15, 2023, 10:04:39 AM »
I heard there's a rap breakdown in the middle of the new single.  :)

Maybe someone was like, "Steve, have you heard Roll the Bones by Rush?"  Steve pulls it up on the ol' Youtube and...

:metal

Offline Lupton

« Reply #3170 on: February 15, 2023, 01:51:29 PM »
Yeah. And let's not forget the C+C Music Factory breakdown in the middle of "Dangerous". I mean Yes have always been down with the hip new sounds..  ;)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3171 on: February 15, 2023, 02:04:48 PM »
Someone will probably start a separate thread for this article, but check out #3 on this list:  https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/horrible-albums-by-brilliant-artists-1234672895/yes-6-1234674916/
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3172 on: February 15, 2023, 02:11:20 PM »
Someone will probably start a separate thread for this article, but check out #3 on this list:  https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/horrible-albums-by-brilliant-artists-1234672895/yes-6-1234674916/
Nothing that controversial about that.  Union really IS a shit album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3173 on: February 15, 2023, 02:30:32 PM »
Especially with what came before and after it in the 80s and 90s, I'd say it's their weakest album in those two decades. Heck, I may even prefer Open Your Eyes over Union in its entirety. Been a VERY long time since I've listened to either, though, if I'm being honest.

-Marc.

« Reply #3174 on: February 15, 2023, 02:32:36 PM »
Yeah. And let's not forget the C+C Music Factory breakdown in the middle of "Dangerous". I mean Yes have always been down with the hip new sounds.;)

It's the "doo wop bop" sections in the middle of Lightning Strikes that always remind me of just how hip and trendy and down with the kids Yes are.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3175 on: February 15, 2023, 11:45:29 PM »
Union is the album that got me into Yes.  There are some excellent tracks such as I Would Have Waited Forever,  Shock to the System, Silent Talking, The More We Live Let Go,  Lift Me Up, Miracle of Life, and more.  I don’t know how anybody could call it a shit album..  :mehlin
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3176 on: February 15, 2023, 11:49:48 PM »

It’s not even the worst Yes album.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #3177 on: February 16, 2023, 01:37:03 AM »
The Union is a very mixed bag, half good and great songs, half forgettable. And because of the mash up of the at the time different line-ups it doesn't flow well. But it is far from the worst Yes album.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3178 on: February 16, 2023, 02:18:24 AM »
The only two albums I would rank below Union are Open your eyes and the debut. I can hardly listen to any of them, though.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #3179 on: February 16, 2023, 02:28:22 AM »
I would probably rank the debut, Time And A Word, Open Your Eyes, The Ladder, Heaven And Earth and The Quest below Union.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3180 on: February 16, 2023, 07:45:40 AM »
Yeah, that's Rolling Stone talking their bullshit again.  The Elder is one of my favorite Kiss records. I wouldn't call "Forbidden" one of my favorite Sabbath albums, but it's got some songs I actively go back to frequently (only the first song is truly horrid).   Nine Lives isn't nearly the worst Aerosmith record.  I actually LIKE Union; especially the YesWest songs (Lift Me Up is a particular favorite), which were less polluted by Jonathan Elias.  But I frequently point to I Would Have Waited Forever as one of the better examples of the vocal harmonies in that band.   I actually saw I think three shows on that tour.

I prefer Union over ABWH all day long.

EDIT:  I just realized, though, that implicitly, Rolling Stone is conceding that Yes (and KISS and Black Sabbath!) are "brilliant" artists.  Dave Marsh just pissed himself.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 07:55:10 AM by Stadler »

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3181 on: February 16, 2023, 07:54:49 AM »
I Would Have Waited Forever is kind of underrated, IMHO.  The song structure is actually pretty interesting, and Bill's drumming is low key awesome, especially when he starts Brufording towards the end of Steve Howe's guitar solo.  Bruford and Levin do some great work as a rhythm section as well.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3182 on: February 16, 2023, 08:00:31 AM »
The Elder is one of my favorite Kiss records.
That is not a universal opinion.  That usually ranks amongst or at the bottom of KISS album rankings.  So Rolling Stone ranking it there is not off base in any way at all, regardless of your low opinion of the publication.

Offline DTA

« Reply #3183 on: February 16, 2023, 09:26:54 AM »
Union has never been disliked by me. I recognize that it’s a mess but there’s so many strong tracks with only a few that I’d consider not good (Angkor Wat and Dangerous mainly). Way better than ABWH

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3184 on: February 16, 2023, 11:20:40 AM »
The Elder is one of my favorite Kiss records.
That is not a universal opinion.  That usually ranks amongst or at the bottom of KISS album rankings.  So Rolling Stone ranking it there is not off base in any way at all, regardless of your low opinion of the publication.

Give me my moment.  :) :) :)