Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 264968 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #3045 on: May 26, 2022, 03:04:22 PM »
Wow.  I'm bummed.  He's the drummer on my favorite album of all time, ever.
I am sorry if this is well known, but I am curious. Could it be Tales or Relayer?

Sad news indeed. I need to spin Relayer.

Stads is regularly effusive for his love of Going for the One.  While I don't hold that album in the same regard, Alan White had a knack for making Yes's complexity sound effortless.  Unfortunately, and even though he appeared on one of the most iconic songs in the history of rock music, he's an unknown to mainstream music fans.

Somewhere, he and Chris are jamming again on Whitefish.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3046 on: May 26, 2022, 03:39:10 PM »
In his honor I will spend the next few days running through the discography.

On any given day, Awaken could be my favorite song of all time.

Doing that right now, and I echo the sentiment about Awaken.  There are times when I feel that it is their greatest achievement.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3047 on: May 26, 2022, 03:50:10 PM »
Jon Anderson says that he considers "Awaken" to be the pinnacle of Yes music.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3048 on: May 27, 2022, 06:42:02 AM »

He actually said something similar to me when I met him.

EDIT:

« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 01:54:54 PM by Stadler »

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3049 on: May 27, 2022, 09:31:41 AM »
Gave Drama a runthrough yesterday (which I love, believe it or not, my favourite White era Yes album). It hurt. Lots.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Lupton

« Reply #3050 on: May 27, 2022, 10:39:39 AM »
To quote from the YesStories book: "Anyone who says anything bad about Alan is lying!" - Trevor Rabin

:'(  RIP Alan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3051 on: May 28, 2022, 07:46:16 AM »
Gave Drama a runthrough yesterday (which I love, believe it or not, my favourite White era Yes album). It hurt. Lots.

Don't qualify it; Drama is an excellent album and one of the "gateway" records for me and Yes.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3052 on: May 28, 2022, 09:28:29 AM »
I remember him saying the same thing about Endless Dream.  :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3053 on: May 28, 2022, 11:03:22 AM »
I consider Drama a perfect, 5-star record.

#2 on my Yes album rankings.

"Into the Lens" is among the best songs Yes ever wrote/recorded.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3054 on: May 28, 2022, 11:56:00 AM »

When did he say that about Endless Dream?  I am guessing it was right around the release of Talk, which means it falls under the "our new album/song is our best ever" talking points to which many musicians often default. :P :P

Granted, I think Endless Dream is a lot better than Awaken, but I would guess if we asked Jon Anderson today which song he thought was better, he'd answer Awaken without hesitating.  Which of course proves that artists often are wrong about which of their songs are the best/the pinnacle.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3055 on: May 28, 2022, 12:27:29 PM »

When did he say that about Endless Dream?  I am guessing it was right around the release of Talk, which means it falls under the "our new album/song is our best ever" talking points to which many musicians often default. :P :P

Granted, I think Endless Dream is a lot better than Awaken, but I would guess if we asked Jon Anderson today which song he thought was better, he'd answer Awaken without hesitating.  Which of course proves that artists often are wrong about which of their songs are the best/the pinnacle.  :biggrin: :biggrin:
It was around that time when he said that on a very long live radio interview.  I also saw them on that tour and he said it again right before they played Endless Dream.  In fact he specifically said that this song represents and is the epitome of what Yes is all about..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3056 on: May 30, 2022, 10:11:12 PM »
He's such a flake.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3057 on: May 30, 2022, 11:31:46 PM »
In and around the flake.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3058 on: May 30, 2022, 11:33:33 PM »
I consider Drama a perfect, 5-star record.
Agreed! Drama is amazing.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline frogprog

« Reply #3059 on: May 31, 2022, 02:52:55 PM »
Love me some Drama! Also, probably my favorite YES album

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3060 on: May 31, 2022, 03:52:11 PM »
Jon is also doing a 50th Close To The Edge tour. Why can't these old farts just make up, get back together and do a farewell tour? I know, never gonna happen.

https://bravewords.com/news/yes-legend-jon-anderson-with-the-paul-green-rock-academy-to-launch-close-to-the-edge-50th-anniversary-summer-tour-video-trailer

July
7 - Plymouth, NH - The Flying Monkey Performing Arts Center
8 - Beverly, MA - The Cabot
13 - Huntingdon, NY - The Paramount
14 - Montclair, NJ - Wellmont Theater
16 - Ridgefield, CT - Ridgefield Playhouse
17 - Sugar Loaf, NY - Sugar Loaf Performing Arts Center
20 - Glenside, PA - Keswick Theatre
22 - Kent, OH - The Kent Stage
23 - Des Plaines, IL - Des Plaines Theatre
27 - Greensburg, PA - The Palace Theatre
30 - Milwaukee, WI - Pabst Theater

August
3 - State College, PA - The State Theatre
6 - Albany, NY - The Egg
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3061 on: May 31, 2022, 05:19:22 PM »

It was around that time when he said that on a very long live radio interview.  I also saw them on that tour and he said it again right before they played Endless Dream.  In fact he specifically said that this song represents and is the epitome of what Yes is all about..

Okay, so that kind of backs up what I alluded to the other day.  :)

Sadly, there will always be a percentage of Yes fans who refuse to give props to anything the band did with Trevor Rabin, so Endless Dream will never get the credit for being as great as it is from the fanbase as a whole.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3062 on: May 31, 2022, 05:36:42 PM »
I think Endless Dream is a cool song, certainly one of the best from the Rabin era.  I still spin 90125 once in a while, and have given Talk a good number of spins.  It's good stuff, but if I'm going to listen to Yes, there are a dozen Yes albums I'd reach for before Talk.  I'm not a Rabin hater; I just happen to prefer Steve Howe as a guitarist, and as guitarist for Yes.  Similarly, I prefer Jon Anderson on vocals, but Drama is one of my favorite Yes albums.  No hating, just stronger preferences here and there.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3063 on: May 31, 2022, 05:44:36 PM »
Yes is on my list of retired favorites now, meaning a band that will always be a favorite, just not one I ever listen to regularly anymore, but when I do, I am just as likely to reach for the Rabin era as the 70s stuff.  Granted, if you ask me what the best Yes albums and best Yes songs are, the vast majority in both categories will come from the 70s, but I grew up listening to 80s Yes and then Talk blew my mind when that came out, so the nostalgia factor is strong with the Rabin material.  :hat :hat

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3064 on: June 01, 2022, 01:07:17 AM »

Okay, so that kind of backs up what I alluded to the other day.  :)

Sadly, there will always be a percentage of Yes fans who refuse to give props to anything the band did with Trevor Rabin, so Endless Dream will never get the credit for being as great as it is from the fanbase as a whole.
Spot on!   :tup
Endless Dream is one of my favorite songs of all time by anybody!  It deserves to be heard around the world ..

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3065 on: June 01, 2022, 06:55:17 AM »
Yes is on my list of retired favorites now, meaning a band that will always be a favorite, just not one I ever listen to regularly anymore, but when I do, I am just as likely to reach for the Rabin era as the 70s stuff.  Granted, if you ask me what the best Yes albums and best Yes songs are, the vast majority in both categories will come from the 70s, but I grew up listening to 80s Yes and then Talk blew my mind when that came out, so the nostalgia factor is strong with the Rabin material.  :hat :hat

So, I'm a Yes fan.  Going For The One is my favorite record of all time by anybody, and I think there are other albums (The Yes Album) and songs (Heart Of The Sunrise) that are close.  Having said that, I got into Yes around the time of Drama, and I loved that record too.  At heart, I'm a Chris Squire guy; I think he was the heart and soul of that band.   When I got the opportunity to see them in 1983, the "YesWest" version, I was all over it.  I loved the single ("Owner...") and I loved "Hearts" (It's not on the video, but at my show the lasers were like nothing I've ever seen; there were two laser hearts that joined in the center of the arena - "two hearts are better than one!"). 

In hindsight, Yes fell off a bit after Keys To Ascension.  As much as I love Billy Sherwood (hand-picked by Chris) I'm out now on Yes. Jon Davison is a good singer, but he's not Jon, but he's too close to Jon for me to be able to forgo the comparison.  I think the highs of the Classic Yes era are higher, but the quality of the Rabin years is on the whole higher.  There are no "Circus Of Heaven"'s in the YesWest catalogue.   There are no "Arriving UFO"'s in the YesWest catalogue.   I think those three studio records are solid, top to bottom, and even the three or four tracks from Onion are the best on that record.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3066 on: June 01, 2022, 07:49:02 AM »
I do hope you love CTTE too though :D
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3067 on: June 01, 2022, 07:57:06 AM »

So, I'm a Yes fan.  Going For The One is my favorite record of all time by anybody, and I think there are other albums (The Yes Album) and songs (Heart Of The Sunrise) that are close.  Having said that, I got into Yes around the time of Drama, and I loved that record too.  At heart, I'm a Chris Squire guy; I think he was the heart and soul of that band.   When I got the opportunity to see them in 1983, the "YesWest" version, I was all over it.  I loved the single ("Owner...") and I loved "Hearts" (It's not on the video, but at my show the lasers were like nothing I've ever seen; there were two laser hearts that joined in the center of the arena - "two hearts are better than one!"). 

In hindsight, Yes fell off a bit after Keys To Ascension.  As much as I love Billy Sherwood (hand-picked by Chris) I'm out now on Yes. Jon Davison is a good singer, but he's not Jon, but he's too close to Jon for me to be able to forgo the comparison.  I think the highs of the Classic Yes era are higher, but the quality of the Rabin years is on the whole higher.  There are no "Circus Of Heaven"'s in the YesWest catalogue.   There are no "Arriving UFO"'s in the YesWest catalogue.   I think those three studio records are solid, top to bottom, and even the three or four tracks from Onion are the best on that record.

Well, Saving My Heart could be the one clunker in the YesWest catalog.  Otherwise, I agree completely.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3068 on: June 01, 2022, 08:28:27 AM »
I do hope you love CTTE too though :D

Oh, I do.  "And You And I" is a top 10 track, and I used to listen to the title track on my way to hockey back in the day; it would take almost exactly 20 minutes to get to the rink.  :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3069 on: June 01, 2022, 09:37:57 AM »
I think Endless Dream is a cool song, certainly one of the best from the Rabin era.  I still spin 90125 once in a while, and have given Talk a good number of spins.  It's good stuff, but if I'm going to listen to Yes, there are a dozen Yes albums I'd reach for before Talk.  I'm not a Rabin hater; I just happen to prefer Steve Howe as a guitarist, and as guitarist for Yes.  Similarly, I prefer Jon Anderson on vocals, but Drama is one of my favorite Yes albums.  No hating, just stronger preferences here and there.

Every time someone shouts about how great Talk is, I put it on and struggle to get through it.  Maybe I'll START with Endless Dream next time.

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3070 on: June 01, 2022, 10:27:29 AM »
Trevor Rabin did a great job with the production on the TALK album. The only thing that is weird,  is the sound of the kick drum.  I know it was on purpose,  but it has this strange boomy sound that works but it's quite peculiar.  I still to this day haven't made up my mind whether I like it or not. 🤔

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3071 on: June 01, 2022, 11:33:30 AM »
I LOVE "The Calling".

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3072 on: June 01, 2022, 05:42:28 PM »

Agreed.  I think Big Generator gets a bad rap, but I really like that record a lot, although it is kind of thin-sounding, so I can some not digging the production. 

Yes has had flashes of greatness since Talk IMO, but they have been just that: flashes.  I loved The Ladder when it came out, save for a song or two, but while I still like the album, there are only a few songs I'd go out of my way to hear on their own anymore.   For me, The Yes Album through Talk will always be where it's at with me and Yes, so long as I can discard Tormato in the dumpster.  :biggrin:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3073 on: June 02, 2022, 08:26:14 AM »

Agreed.  I think Big Generator gets a bad rap, but I really like that record a lot, although it is kind of thin-sounding, so I can some not digging the production. 

Yes has had flashes of greatness since Talk IMO, but they have been just that: flashes.  I loved The Ladder when it came out, save for a song or two, but while I still like the album, there are only a few songs I'd go out of my way to hear on their own anymore.   For me, The Yes Album through Talk will always be where it's at with me and Yes, so long as I can discard Tormato in the dumpster.  :biggrin:

Tormato is confounding.  It's a half of a great album.

1.   "Future Times"/"Rejoice"
2.   "Don't Kill the Whale"
3.   "Madrigal"
4.   "Release, Release"

1.   "Arriving UFO"
2.   "Circus of Heaven"
3.   "Onward"
4.   "On the Silent Wings of Freedom"

This is great:
2.   "Madrigal"
3.   "Release, Release"
4.     "On the Silent Wings of Freedom"

This is not so great (though DKTW and Onward are a step above the other two embarrassments):
1.   "Don't Kill the Whale"
2.      "Arriving UFO"
3.   "Circus of Heaven"
4.   "Onward"   

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3074 on: June 02, 2022, 08:44:09 AM »
I've always wondered how they could put out such a clunker in Tomato so soon after Going For the One, which is such a fantastic record. 

Online HOF

« Reply #3075 on: June 02, 2022, 09:01:43 AM »

3.   "Madrigal"
4.   "Release, Release"

1.   "Arriving UFO"
2.   "Circus of Heaven"
3.   "Onward"

This is great:
2.   "Madrigal"
3.   "Release, Release"

This is not so great (though DKTW and Onward are a step above the other two embarrassments):
2.      "Arriving UFO"
3.   "Circus of Heaven"
4.   "Onward"

Woah, wait. Onward is the standout track on Tormato IMO. I also like Don’t Kill the Whale.

Online HOF

« Reply #3076 on: June 02, 2022, 09:07:06 AM »
I've always wondered how they could put out such a clunker in Tomato so soon after Going For the One, which is such a fantastic record.

I prefer Tormato to Going For The One. The only track on GFTO that really connects for me is Awaken.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3077 on: June 02, 2022, 09:33:34 AM »
I think Tormato is much better than most Yes fans are ready to admit. It isn't as progressive as its predecessor but it's really rocking and I like that.

The only real clunker is Circus Of Heaven, and yes, that's really cringeworthy bad.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3078 on: June 02, 2022, 10:08:14 AM »

3.   "Madrigal"
4.   "Release, Release"

1.   "Arriving UFO"
2.   "Circus of Heaven"
3.   "Onward"

This is great:
2.   "Madrigal"
3.   "Release, Release"

2.      "Arriving UFO"
3.   "Circus of Heaven"
4.   "Onward"

Woah, wait. Onward is the standout track on Tormato IMO. I also like Don’t Kill the Whale.

Right?!  Onward is awesome -- particularly the more acoustic versions they played in Squire's later years -- and Whale is just a cool little track.  It was the first song from the album I heard, as a result of Yesshows.  And Madrigal on the "great" side?  It's fine, but it's nothing special (sorta like Rush's song of the same name).  The video with Wakeman dressed like a Georgian era fop and playing a harpsichord is kinda hilarious.

I think Tormato is much better than most Yes fans are ready to admit. It isn't as progressive as its predecessor but it's really rocking and I like that.

The only real clunker is Circus Of Heaven, and yes, that's really cringeworthy bad.

I agree, except that Arriving UFO also belongs in the clunker category.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3079 on: June 02, 2022, 01:22:02 PM »
I'd be willing to switch out "Madrigal" for either "Onward" or "...Whale".  My point was, I think they just lost focus midway through.  There are the bones of a really GREAT record there.  The only two real duds are Circus of Arriving UFOs from Heaven.