Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 257508 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #2975 on: October 16, 2021, 10:22:22 PM »
I want to support Burning Shed.  Hell, I want to support anyone who is not Amazon, just because.  But I won't use Paypal, and I don't know where else to get physical media.  I want the discs.  I refuse to pay real money for digital(-only) music.  My brain just can't.  Even farkin' Best Buy doesn't carry CDs anymore (but they do have vinyl -- go figure).

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2976 on: October 16, 2021, 11:22:35 PM »
Why won't you use PayPal?
I use it for just about everything I buy online or via a phone app.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2977 on: October 16, 2021, 11:27:55 PM »
Why won't you use PayPal?
I use it for just about everything I buy online or via a phone app.

Yeah, PayPal has made online shopping so much more convenient. Don’t have to enter a credit card or create an account for every random place you shop online.

If you’re in the US, I’d say use Laser CD for new physical releases (in the prog realm), but it looks like they are sold out of all the regular stand-alone CD of The Quest (or never had it). Have to get it with an LP package.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2978 on: October 17, 2021, 07:05:38 AM »
I had some good experiences with PayPal, but if anything ever goes wrong with the payment or you need a refund, you're shit out of luck.  The merchant wouldn't help because they say it's an issue with PayPal, and PayPal wouldn't help because they said it's an issue with the merchant.  It's been years and I don't even remember what it was now.  I also don't remember my PayPal login and account information.  I just remember swearing to never use PayPal again.  It's possible that things are better now.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2979 on: December 03, 2021, 06:11:17 AM »
The album is out

First impressions: it exists

I finally got around to listen to this and there's really nothing to add to this statement.

An unexciting, unoffensive record, it's so uneventful you can't even call it bad.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #2980 on: December 05, 2021, 05:50:23 AM »
The need a good producer ASAP:

Steven Wilson
Kevin Shirley
Bob Ezrin

Someone.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2981 on: December 05, 2021, 06:39:46 AM »
The album is out

First impressions: it exists

I finally got around to listen to this and there's really nothing to add to this statement.

An unexciting, unoffensive record, it's so uneventful you can't even call it bad.

This statement summarizes this album perfectly.

The need a good producer ASAP:

Steven Wilson
Kevin Shirley
Bob Ezrin

Someone.

I'm not sure Steven would be up for this. For example, he only remixes/remasters albums he loves himself. I think he is aware the last Yes albums weren't exactly masterpieces and that a new Yes album probably won't be either - with or without his help.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2982 on: December 07, 2021, 07:28:22 AM »
I'd be REALLY interested in seeing what Bob Ezrin would bring to the table.  He's one of the few producers that I will listen to an album because he produced it.  He has a knack for bringing out the best of bands yet putting his stamp on things.  Plus he's done wonders for Deep Purple, IMO. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2983 on: December 07, 2021, 09:03:28 AM »
Steve Howe produced the latest album, because he was tired of working with producers that he felt didn't understand Yes.  I think the new album sounds great.  It's the writing that's weak, and I'm not sure how much a producer can do about that.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2984 on: December 07, 2021, 09:24:07 AM »
Steve Howe produced the latest album, because he was tired of working with producers that he felt didn't understand Yes.  I think the new album sounds great.  It's the writing that's weak, and I'm not sure how much a producer can do about that.

I think a producer can do a lot about that. Also, he can do a lot about how the compositions are arranged and presented, see Nigel Goodrich on Roger Waters' latest album. The songs are clearly by Roger, but they are presented and produced with a quite modern, very guitar-less sound (which I love and I am a guitarist). I'm sure Nigel also told Roger to throw out some stuff every now and then or if some ideas were just shit. Yes would benefit from that. What they need is someone who kicks their asses.

Edit: then again, between their last albums, there was always quite a long period of time. I can't imagine Alan still swinging drum sticks in, say, 8 years. Maybe The Quest was Yes' last album. Or maybe they'll continue as Chris wanted it and just keep swapping members (which I wouldn't like).

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2985 on: December 07, 2021, 09:48:11 AM »

I think a producer can do a lot about that.

Yeah somebody like Trevor Rabin.. 😁
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2986 on: December 07, 2021, 10:15:41 AM »
I had relatively high hopes for Heaven & Earth, produced by Roy Thomas Baker, who has produced a lot of my favorite albums.  That, plus Yes was coming off one of their full-album tours, and after playing Close to the Edge and The Yes Album, I'd assumed that they were reminded of what Yes was capable of creating.  I assumed that they'd take that into the studio with them.  Then the album came out and it's basically "lite rock".  Then later we heard that the Baker and the band had butted heads a lot during the recording.  The previous album, Fly From Here, was produced by Trevor Horn and was the last album that actually rocks.  But that was 10 years ago.

I've read multiple statements from Howe and the others that "this is the band now" or some shit.  They've all but come right out and said that they're a bunch of fucking lightweights now, they're old and tired, and they want to make wimpy, mellow music, and they're tired of fighting with producers who want them to play rock and roll.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2987 on: December 07, 2021, 11:15:56 AM »
I would like if the Yes of now were more rocking, but if they don't want to, or if they can't rock anymore, so be it. But if they put out new music, at least keep it interesting.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2988 on: December 07, 2021, 11:28:11 AM »
I had relatively high hopes for Heaven & Earth, produced by Roy Thomas Baker, who has produced a lot of my favorite albums.  That, plus Yes was coming off one of their full-album tours, and after playing Close to the Edge and The Yes Album, I'd assumed that they were reminded of what Yes was capable of creating.  I assumed that they'd take that into the studio with them.  Then the album came out and it's basically "lite rock".  Then later we heard that the Baker and the band had butted heads a lot during the recording.  The previous album, Fly From Here, was produced by Trevor Horn and was the last album that actually rocks.  But that was 10 years ago.

I've read multiple statements from Howe and the others that "this is the band now" or some shit.  They've all but come right out and said that they're a bunch of fucking lightweights now, they're old and tired, and they want to make wimpy, mellow music, and they're tired of fighting with producers who want them to play rock and roll.

If you want to reduce it to stereotypes, Squire was the "rock" guy; he's the one that played with Page and Plant, etc., while Howe was more the folk guy; all his solo pieces are acoustic, he's put out acoustic versions of Yes songs, and did a covers album of Bob Dylan songs.  Given that Jon Davison sounds like Jon Anderson, but doesn't have the rock/power/edge that Anderson has, and this isn't unexpected, even if it is unwelcome (for me; I love the rock side of Yes).

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2989 on: December 07, 2021, 12:06:25 PM »
That is reducing things to stereotypes, but yeah that's basically it.  I guess I still think of Steve as a rocker, since I have many memories of seeing him just ripping through 32nd-note flourishes in Yes videos.  Geoff Downes is in the band now, and hell, Asia rocks more than Yes does these days, and some of that is due to Downes.  Oddly, Downes and Howe don't seem to write together, even though they're basically the core of both Yes and Asia.

Squire was present on Heaven & Earth, though, and it was a real snoozefest.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2990 on: December 07, 2021, 02:34:03 PM »
That is reducing things to stereotypes, but yeah that's basically it.  I guess I still think of Steve as a rocker, since I have many memories of seeing him just ripping through 32nd-note flourishes in Yes videos.  Geoff Downes is in the band now, and hell, Asia rocks more than Yes does these days, and some of that is due to Downes.  Oddly, Downes and Howe don't seem to write together, even though they're basically the core of both Yes and Asia.

Squire was present on Heaven & Earth, though, and it was a real snoozefest.

The best song on H&E was the only one with Downes as a writer, "Subway Walls" co-written with Davison. It's about the only song from that album that I remember even enjoying enough to listen to again, and it's the last song on the album too.

Conversely, "The Ice Bridge", which opens The Quest, is one of two songs with a Downes writing credit, and is probably the best song on that album as well.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2991 on: December 07, 2021, 03:04:27 PM »
Steve Howe and Geoff Downes never really wrote together when they were in Asia, either.  There was some collaboration on the first record, but Alpha is all Wetton/Downes, and the reunion albums up to Howe's departure were largely Wetton/Downes as well.    So, I'm not the slightest bit surprised they don't write much together.  It seems their styles are too disparate.

Honestly, I don't even know why this lineup of Yes exists, outside of the fact that this was the lineup when Chris Squire died.  They really need to either bury the hatchet with Jon Anderson and welcome him back, or retire.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2992 on: December 08, 2021, 10:18:25 AM »

They really need to either bury the hatchet with Jon Anderson and welcome him back, or retire.

This!  Yes lost me with the absence of Jon Anderson.   I loved the ARW version of Yes, but sadly that didn't last and we only got a live tour and concert video from them.  They were in the midst of recording a new album and somebody dropped the ball during the process. I don't know what happened but it's really too bad.   :(
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2993 on: December 09, 2021, 07:02:51 AM »
There was an interview in the new Guitar World with Steve Howe, and it was rather... illuminating.   When ARW announced their tour/activity, Steve said he said he sent all three - Anderson, Rabin, and Wakeman - an email saying "Good luck!" and then he said "as in, this is never going to work!".  He also talked about the RnRHoF ceremony, and sort of pissed on that, distancing himself from everything but Roundabout and his playing bass (he didn't say what song, and I didn't watch the ceremony). 

He's a sort of miserable guy.  I can't imagine that at this stage of their career that someone like Jon Anderson, who fancies himself the leader of the bands he's in, is going to want to compromise to that level.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2994 on: December 09, 2021, 08:26:53 AM »
The interviewer should have asked him, "Speaking of things that are never going to work, how is Yes going without both Chris Squire and Jon Anderson?"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2995 on: December 09, 2021, 09:20:45 AM »
The interviewer should have asked him, "Speaking of things that are never going to work, how is Yes going without both Chris Squire and Jon Anderson?"

HAHA, no shit!   :) :)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2996 on: December 09, 2021, 11:03:51 AM »
Let that sink in.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2997 on: December 09, 2021, 11:17:47 AM »
Imagine Steve Howe colaborating with Roger Waters. How long would the session last?  ;D

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #2998 on: December 10, 2021, 07:30:50 AM »
He also talked about the RnRHoF ceremony, and sort of pissed on that, distancing himself from everything but Roundabout and his playing bass (he didn't say what song, and I didn't watch the ceremony). 

I rewatched that the other day... the tension between Howe and Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman was something, that's for sure. The man's a good guitar player, but every interview I see with him, I dislike him a little more.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2999 on: December 11, 2021, 05:21:03 AM »
He also talked about the RnRHoF ceremony, and sort of pissed on that, distancing himself from everything but Roundabout and his playing bass (he didn't say what song, and I didn't watch the ceremony). 

I rewatched that the other day... the tension between Howe and Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman was something, that's for sure. The man's a good guitar player, but every interview I see with him, I dislike him a little more.

What's there to complain about the RnRHoF introduction, other than it being way too late? The performances were good and they showed that all they need(ed) was each other. Rick's jokes were a little under the belt but still funny. They were induced by none other than Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson who declared their love for Yes. Steve should be fucking flattered.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3000 on: December 11, 2021, 09:25:07 AM »
Coming so shortly after Chris Squire's death, it was widely expected that some time would be taken to acknowledge Chris, the only one to play on every Yes album (at the time).  Chris' widow, Scotland, was in attendance and was prepared to say a few words.  But instead, Wakeman rambled on and on.  Some thought he was hilarious, some not so much.  Then they were out of time and everyone was ushered off, including anyone else who thought they'd get to say something.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3001 on: December 13, 2021, 06:41:34 AM »
In the article I referenced, there was a LOT of bitterness that Chris didn't get to see the induction, as it was something he wanted very very much (at least according to Steve).  That sort of jives with my impression of Chris, who was always the more traditional rock star in the band.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3002 on: February 10, 2022, 07:43:31 AM »
The band have launched a brand new video for the track ‘A Living Island’, created by Wayne Joyner who has made all of the promotional clips for ‘The Quest’. Watch the video here: https://youtu.be/xZtnIUzdEFQ

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3003 on: April 08, 2022, 11:45:08 PM »
https://www.q13fox.com/news/thieves-steal-piece-of-rock-and-roll-history-from-local-hall-of-fame-drummer

WTF. Although I'm not sure if the stuff they stole is as concerning as Alan's health.  :sad:

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3004 on: April 09, 2022, 11:59:58 AM »
https://www.q13fox.com/news/thieves-steal-piece-of-rock-and-roll-history-from-local-hall-of-fame-drummer

WTF. Although I'm not sure if the stuff they stole is as concerning as Alan's health.  :sad:
Pretty sad. But yeah, Alan's not looking good at all. I can't imagine him being able to play drums in such a fragile state. :sad:

Only thing is that I don't full understand is these thieves being described as squatters. Gives me the impression that this is not their primary residence unless maybe they were traveling for an extended time since it sounds like the thieves were able to take their time. Either way, at the very least, I would think they would want to have some sort of security system installed or even have someone house sitting if they were just traveling. I'd also be worried about ID theft, too.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3005 on: April 09, 2022, 01:22:26 PM »
Yeah, "squatters" is an interesting choice of word there.  Maybe it means something somewhat different over there.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3006 on: April 11, 2022, 06:17:44 AM »
Well, they said in the video that they broke in and stayed there for "several days".  That's kind of the definition of a squatter; staying for an extended time on a property you're not authorized to be staying on.

Alan looks... haggard.  I hope he's okay.

I say this in a light-hearted way, but watching noobs talk so earnestly about topics they don't know much about is always fascinating to me; they must have used the phrase "rock and roll history" 98 times (as if the history of music, Alan White and rock and roll are all separate things).   

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3007 on: April 12, 2022, 06:29:49 AM »
Holy shit, Alan is not looking good. I wish him all the best.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3008 on: April 12, 2022, 07:48:50 AM »
Well, they said in the video that they broke in and stayed there for "several days".  That's kind of the definition of a squatter; staying for an extended time on a property you're not authorized to be staying on.

That makes sense.  I didn't watch the video.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #3009 on: April 13, 2022, 10:13:17 PM »
Alan looks... haggard.  I hope he's okay.
Yeah, he's looking pretty frail. Is he really going to play in 4 weeks? Their 30+ show tour is scheduled to start.