Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 265140 times)

Offline DTA

Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #2730 on: December 13, 2020, 11:44:53 AM »
Yikes...I think I actually kind of like it. Then again, I'm pretty fond of OYE even though it's universally hated.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2731 on: December 13, 2020, 03:49:31 PM »
I like Open Your Eyes.  I understand some of the complaints that many hardcore Yesheads have, but I don't agree with most of them.  And I consider myself a pretty hardcore Yeshead.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2732 on: December 13, 2020, 11:11:34 PM »
I like Open Your Eyes.  I understand some of the complaints that many hardcore Yesheads have, but I don't agree with most of them.  And I consider myself a pretty hardcore Yeshead.

I agree, Open Your Eyes is not that bad. I think there's a bunch of pretty good tracks on there. The title track, Wonderlove and especially From The Balcony.
any rock can be made to roll

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2733 on: December 14, 2020, 07:45:22 AM »

I agree, Open Your Eyes is not that bad. I think there's a bunch of pretty good tracks on there. The title track, Wonderlove and especially From The Balcony.

EASILY my least favorite Yes album.... though having said "easily", "Heaven And Earth" is a strong second. 

For you guys that like it - and I respect that, I'm not calling you on that - what's worse? 

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2734 on: December 14, 2020, 11:16:44 AM »
I don't know, it's okay, it has its moments, but the fact that they shelved the Keys studio material to put OYE out is still a bgi WTF? in a history of WTF moments in their later career.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2735 on: December 14, 2020, 11:38:13 AM »
the fact that they shelved the Keys studio material to put OYE out is still a bgi WTF? in a history of WTF moments in their later career.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.  Open Your Eyes came out after Keys to Ascension 2.

Keystudio, which combined the studio tracks from the two Keys albums, was actually an afterthought, even if it did put all the studio material together as was apparently the plan at one point.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2736 on: December 14, 2020, 01:08:16 PM »
the fact that they shelved the Keys studio material to put OYE out is still a bgi WTF? in a history of WTF moments in their later career.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.  Open Your Eyes came out after Keys to Ascension 2.

Keystudio, which combined the studio tracks from the two Keys albums, was actually an afterthought, even if it did put all the studio material together as was apparently the plan at one point.

The Keys studio material was recorded before Open Your Eyes but released a few weeks after, as an afterthought.  It was supposed to be an official studio album, but the band (except Wakeman) changed their mind and that's why Wakeman left that time.  Open Your Eyes was supposed to be a Chris Squire Conspiracy album that they grafted Jon and Steve on to make it a Yes album.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2737 on: December 14, 2020, 01:10:45 PM »
Keys II was released early November and OYE was a late November release.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2738 on: December 14, 2020, 01:31:29 PM »
Correct.  All the Keys studio material (save for the re-arranged "Children of the Light") was released before Open Your Eyes.  That was my point.  I'm not sure why you're trying to say otherwise.  We agree that Keystudio was an afterthought and came out after Open Your Eyes, but your initial statement that "they shelved the Keys studio material to put OYE out" is still incorrect.  The Keys studio material was out first.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2739 on: December 14, 2020, 02:23:32 PM »
Man, I had that remembered wrong.  I forgot that OYE came in on the heels of KTA 2 because the record label was keen to make that happen.   :-\

Offline DTA

« Reply #2740 on: December 14, 2020, 03:26:20 PM »
My favorite part of OYE is how clueless Alan White sounds playing the drum part of Somehow, Someday. It's like he's just playing along to a track he's never heard and isn't quite sure of how the rhythm goes. But the title track is quite spectacular and a song I wouldn't mind them busting out again.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2741 on: December 15, 2020, 10:53:24 AM »
My favorite part of OYE is how clueless Alan White sounds playing the drum part of Somehow, Someday. It's like he's just playing along to a track he's never heard and isn't quite sure of how the rhythm goes.
:lol
Now I have to dust off that album and listen to it just for that reason.  I don't remember hearing that..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2742 on: December 15, 2020, 10:59:02 AM »
Man, I had that remembered wrong.  I forgot that OYE came in on the heels of KTA 2 because the record label was keen to make that happen.   :-\

Different labels, too.  Keys and Keys 2 were on Essential, Open Your Eyes was on Eagle.  Once Yes left Atlantic, I don't think they ever really had another long-term relationship with a label.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2743 on: December 15, 2020, 11:53:12 AM »
My favorite part of OYE is how clueless Alan White sounds playing the drum part of Somehow, Someday. It's like he's just playing along to a track he's never heard and isn't quite sure of how the rhythm goes.
:lol
Now I have to dust off that album and listen to it just for that reason.  I don't remember hearing that..

Well, one could be meaning well and say his playing is creating a 3/4 - 4/4 polyrhythm throughout big parts of the song... But really, he probably just played some 4/4 over it (like he did over many things after 1980)  :lol

Like many songs on that album, I think it's overproduced. It's actually a good ballad and it would have worked with just Steve's guitar and Jon's voice. It would also have been beautiful with Rick's piano and some magic Steve comments in-between (yes I know Rick is not playing on Open Your Eyes, but it would have sounded great)...

Offline Lupton

« Reply #2744 on: December 15, 2020, 12:52:49 PM »
My favorite part of OYE is how clueless Alan White sounds playing the drum part of Somehow, Someday. It's like he's just playing along to a track he's never heard and isn't quite sure of how the rhythm goes. But the title track is quite spectacular and a song I wouldn't mind them busting out again.

To me it sounds like typical Alan being creative and having fun deftly navigating groupings of 3, 4, & 6.  Actually sounds pretty smooth to me, but then that do I know?  :lol

Offline emtee

« Reply #2745 on: January 16, 2021, 01:46:37 PM »
I pulled Fly From Here off the shelf today. I know many people dislike it and even say it's not really  a Yes album. I really enjoy it. It has a comfortable calming quality to it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2746 on: January 16, 2021, 02:00:31 PM »
I pulled Fly From Here off the shelf today. I know many people dislike it and even say it's not really  a Yes album. I really enjoy it. It has a comfortable calming quality to it.
I listened to it once,  and it's been on the shelf ever since. Perhaps I'll give it another chance.  It's hard for me to listen to Yes without Anderson.  At least Squire is on the album.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 03:43:10 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Lupton

« Reply #2747 on: January 16, 2021, 03:27:18 PM »
True confession. I bought Fly From Here Return Trip last November and it's probably the 1st time I've been mostly happy with a Yes album since I devoured their catalog in 1990. Dunno..maybe I've just come to lower my standards over the years, but I'm REALLY digging this album. Spun it again just last night and it just keeps getting better with each listen. (IMO of course)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2748 on: January 16, 2021, 03:57:14 PM »
Benoit David was such an awkward fit in the Yes lineup,  they lost me after Andersons departure. The only exception of a good Yes album without JA is called Drama.  (imo)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 04:04:18 PM by Architeuthis »

Offline emtee

« Reply #2749 on: January 16, 2021, 04:17:32 PM »
Love Drama. Way up there on my list of favorite Yes albums. I've been on a Yes and Genesis kick lately. Really reaffirming my love for so many albums. Such strong discographies that stand against the test of time. Each one holds a special place in my heart and can instantly draw me back to memories associated with them.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #2750 on: January 16, 2021, 04:34:41 PM »
Benoit David was such an awkward fit in the Yes lineup,  they lost me after Andersons departure. The only exception of a good Yes album without JA is called Drama.  (imo)

With Horn on the vocals FFH Return Trip is basically "Drama 2" as far as I'm concerned. A totally legitimate Yes lineup and probably the only Yes record that I actually want to listen to since......well Drama.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2751 on: January 16, 2021, 04:37:23 PM »
I loved Fly from where when it came out. It couldn't have cared less for Anderson's departure, I was already aware that this was the 20th Yes line up, so it didn't bother me. The epic track has plenty of amazing moments, especially in the first half, and The Man you always wanted me to be features some tasty guitar work by Steve Howe and glorious Chris Squire vocals.

It might find its way to my top 10 of Yes albums.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2752 on: January 16, 2021, 06:17:47 PM »
Big fan of Drama, and a big fan of Fly From Here.  It's not Drama, but it SMOKES what is immediately around it in the catalogue (everything since the second Keys; Magnification is good, The Ladder is OK, and OYE and H&E are an embarrassment to the legacy, IMO).

Offline Lupton

« Reply #2753 on: January 17, 2021, 10:51:18 AM »
Big fan of Drama, and a big fan of Fly From Here.  It's not Drama, but it SMOKES what is immediately around it in the catalogue (everything since the second Keys; Magnification is good, The Ladder is OK, and OYE and H&E are an embarrassment to the legacy, IMO).

Magnification is actually an interesting album for its uniqueness, but I struggle to think of any one song on it that I really ever want to hear. The title track is nice. Squire's XYZ leftover (Can You Imagine) is alright. Dreamtime is decent I suppose. Yeah, not much else there I'd care to revisit.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2754 on: January 17, 2021, 10:48:11 PM »
Magnification is the best post-Drama Yes album in my opinion. It's not the whacky prog of the 70s, but it has some very good and actually complex songs and a great production.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #2755 on: January 18, 2021, 04:01:40 PM »
Magnification is the best post-Drama Yes album in my opinion. It's not the whacky prog of the 70s, but it has some very good and actually complex songs and a great production.

Good call on the production. The orchestra really sounds excellent and mixed very effectively with the band. I just wish the songs themselves did more for me. Aw well. Maybe this one will grow more on me over time. 

Offline emtee

« Reply #2756 on: February 06, 2021, 01:15:17 PM »
Spun CttE yesterday. Been years...too many. Masterpiece. As stunning today as the first listen.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #2757 on: February 06, 2021, 01:27:42 PM »
Spun CttE yesterday. Been years...too many. Masterpiece. As stunning today as the first listen.

Been on a Yes kick lately and getting to CttE always reminds me why I think it might just be the greatest album ever made, or at least up there. My 1,000th listen was just as breathtaking as the 10th.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2758 on: February 06, 2021, 01:34:25 PM »
Same here.  I listen to the main sequence stuff all the time and it's always great.  ♫♫

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2759 on: February 06, 2021, 03:21:40 PM »
One of the records I return to regularly. Just awesome from start to finish.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2760 on: February 06, 2021, 05:22:37 PM »
I was reminded last weeks of the lyrics to And You and I (which was played by the DJ at my wedding reception), so CTTE is next on my list after I finish my current jaunt through Triumph's discography.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2761 on: February 06, 2021, 11:10:29 PM »
My favorite of theirs remains Relayer, and it's one of the greatest albums I've ever heard. But the whole Close/Tales/Relayer trilogy is out of this world. Each a 10/10 album.

Offline DTA

« Reply #2762 on: February 07, 2021, 04:52:12 AM »
My favorite of theirs remains Relayer, and it's one of the greatest albums I've ever heard. But the whole Close/Tales/Relayer trilogy is out of this world. Each a 10/10 album.

Definitely...the amount of intense and deep shit they cranked out in 3 years is mindblowing when you consider bands nowadays release an album once every 3 years if we're lucky.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2763 on: February 07, 2021, 08:09:00 AM »
I'd take The Yes Album/Fragile/Close to the Edge as their definitive trilogy (when discussing consecutive studio albums), but Relayer is pretty damn great as well. Tales isn't on the level of those four, but it's still quite good.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2764 on: February 07, 2021, 08:35:24 AM »
I'd take The Yes Album/Fragile/Close to the Edge as their definitive trilogy (when discussing consecutive studio albums), but Relayer is pretty damn great as well. Tales isn't on the level of those four, but it's still quite good.

Many people do, but I personally disagree.

I even like Going For The One and Drama better than the Yes Album. I'd also put those two at the same level (or even above) Fragile.