Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 264953 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #2695 on: September 05, 2020, 06:34:37 AM »
But nowadays he looks more like Gollum  ;)
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2696 on: September 05, 2020, 06:40:11 AM »
:rollin
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2697 on: September 05, 2020, 07:54:02 AM »

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2698 on: September 05, 2020, 10:21:26 AM »
I feel bad because when my friend and I went to see Yes in 2008 we kept calling him Skeletor. Man, we were some shitty teenagers.  :lol

I remember when the intermission came on, he was the only band member who stayed on stage and played an acoustic piece until the others came back. Dude rocks. I just bought his new solo album.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2699 on: September 05, 2020, 12:00:04 PM »
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2700 on: September 05, 2020, 02:17:43 PM »
Random observation:  Am I the only one who thinks Elrond from the Lord of the Rings movies looks like Yessongs era Steve Howe?

My wife gets pissed at me every time he shows up on screen and I yell "Steve Howe!" But then again I yell "Rick Wakeman" at Christoper Lee in those movies. Guess who I yell Trewavas at in The Hobbit?

You might surmise I'm not much fun to bring to a movie.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2701 on: September 05, 2020, 02:20:52 PM »

I prefer to remember him as Elrond.  Besides, I'm sure I'd even get sick of yelling "Steve Howe" every time Gollum is on the screen.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2702 on: September 06, 2020, 08:32:31 AM »
I always thought of him as the crypt keeper from Tales From The Crypt or even Iron Maiden's Eddie.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2703 on: September 06, 2020, 09:11:20 AM »
Yeah I've seen some crypt keeper comparisons on the web throughout the years.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2704 on: September 06, 2020, 01:21:48 PM »

Hilarious!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2705 on: September 08, 2020, 02:32:28 AM »
He might look older than he actually is, however: I watched YES feat. ARW the other night and I realised that Steve's unique, spastic guitar style is so crucial for the Yes sound. As important as Chris' omnipresent bass and Jon's angelic voice. Trevor Rabin can shred, yes, but no one comes close to the magic that Steve Howe is doing in Awaken at 9:50 (original version).
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #2706 on: September 08, 2020, 05:43:48 AM »

Random observation:  Am I the only one who thinks Elrond from the Lord of the Rings movies looks like Yessongs era Steve Howe?

+1

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2707 on: September 08, 2020, 10:08:44 AM »
I always thought of him as the crypt keeper from Tales From The Crypt or even Iron Maiden's Eddie.

I would laugh like hell if the band kicked into "Iron Maiden", with all the fire and lights....   and Bruce Dickinson gets into a sword fight with perhaps one of the few musicians that is shorter than he is.   ;)   

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2708 on: September 08, 2020, 11:09:38 AM »
He might look older than he actually is, however: I watched YES feat. ARW the other night and I realised that Steve's unique, spastic guitar style is so crucial for the Yes sound. As important as Chris' omnipresent bass and Jon's angelic voice. Trevor Rabin can shred, yes, but no one comes close to the magic that Steve Howe is doing in Awaken at 9:50 (original version).

Although I like Rabin's playing so much more on all levels than Howe's, I agree that Steve Howe is crucial for the classic Yes sound. But his soloing over everything, especially on later records can get a bit much.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2709 on: September 08, 2020, 11:32:15 AM »
Now if we could only fix his tone.   :\
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Lupton

« Reply #2710 on: September 08, 2020, 11:47:21 AM »
One of the more recent interviews I saw in the last couple of years with Steve Howe he was showing his current touring rig. Seems like he's jumped on the Line 6 Helix bandwagon. I can recall last time I saw a cover band playing a dive bar here in Dallas BOTH guitarists had Helix's and were getting pretty faithful to the album tones for the tunes they were covering. I'm pretty sure if Howe wanted and edgier rockier guitar tone he could easily dial it up on the Helix. He probably just prefers the thin clean tone he seems to have been in love with since the '96 SLO shows.  It's pretty weak sounding IMO, and really does a disservice to his looser, fiery playing style. Makes him sound sloppy as opposed to edgy. I've always felt that Steve's best guitar tone in a live release is on Yessongs (not that we had much else to choose from until recently!). That's is a lovely crunchy (almost distorted) healthy rock'n'roll tone. I think Yes' music sounds better with more of this approach!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2711 on: September 08, 2020, 04:41:16 PM »
I'm gonna give this question another shot.

In Close to the Edge on Yessongs (and I think every other video that features the song and every live show I've seen), Steve Howe starts playing one of his Gibson hollow-body guitars (ES-something or other, I think).  However, right before the vocals start, he switches to a different guitar mounted on a stand.  What is that second guitar, and why is he making the switch?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2712 on: September 08, 2020, 05:29:22 PM »

But his soloing over everything, especially on later records can get a bit much.

I've seen this criticism before, and while I guess I understand where it's coming from, it's not accurate.  Steve is not soloing, and it's not "over everything".  His countermelodies are well under the vocals, and they are a huge part of the Yes sound.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2713 on: September 08, 2020, 07:16:44 PM »

In Close to the Edge on Yessongs (and I think every other video that features the song and every live show I've seen), Steve Howe starts playing one of his Gibson hollow-body guitars (ES-something or other, I think).  However, right before the vocals start, he switches to a different guitar mounted on a stand.  What is that second guitar, and why is he making the switch?
The what is an electric sitar. As for the why, it's probably as simple as he liked the sound for that section, and that's what he recorded it with. Howe is very detail oriented, so he's going to do his best to match the various tones from the albums, even if nobody notices but him. Nowadays he's got a stand-mounted variax that does the sitar parts (and probably a few other odds and ends).

Interesting instrument, and we've all heard it a gazillion times without ever realizing it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_sitar
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2714 on: September 09, 2020, 09:43:17 AM »

The what is an electric sitar. As for the why, it's probably as simple as he liked the sound for that section, and that's what he recorded it with. Howe is very detail oriented, so he's going to do his best to match the various tones from the albums, even if nobody notices but him. Nowadays he's got a stand-mounted variax that does the sitar parts (and probably a few other odds and ends).

Thanks.  That's what I thought (and the "what" also answers the "why").  I guess if the album had been recorded today, he'd simply click a switch on his pedal board and not have to play a second instrument.  This sort of stuff is what makes a lot of the 70s live videos so cool.  Howe switches back and forth between instruments (including the pedal steel) with little to no obvious effort (although I'm sure his roadies would disagree with my effort analysis).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 02:51:44 PM by pg1067 »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2715 on: September 09, 2020, 01:19:49 PM »
 :D :tup
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2716 on: December 09, 2020, 12:11:08 PM »
https://www.loudersound.com/news/yes-alumni-announce-new-band-arc-of-life-and-release-video-for-you-make-it-real

New band comprising old and current members of Yes (and CIRCA:) are set to release a new album next February!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline emtee

« Reply #2717 on: December 09, 2020, 02:10:50 PM »
That song was a struggle to get through. Nothing there to connect with.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2718 on: December 09, 2020, 06:48:43 PM »
Cool, so it's like OYE except now Billy Sherwood can't sing. :-\
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online HOF

« Reply #2719 on: December 09, 2020, 06:56:07 PM »

My wife gets pissed at me every time he shows up on screen and I yell "Steve Howe!" But then again I yell "Rick Wakeman" at Christoper Lee in those movies. Guess who I yell Trewavas at in The Hobbit?

It’s appropriate for The Lord of the Rings to have the most prog rock cast ever. Also, Boromir is Ray Wilson.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2720 on: December 09, 2020, 09:41:20 PM »
https://www.loudersound.com/news/yes-alumni-announce-new-band-arc-of-life-and-release-video-for-you-make-it-real

New band comprising old and current members of Yes (and CIRCA:) are set to release a new album next February!

-Marc.

No. Just....No.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2721 on: December 10, 2020, 09:41:14 AM »
I want to like that, I do, but....    I don't.   

I'm a fan of Billy Sherwood, at least I think I am, but everything he's on I don't really like.  :)   

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2722 on: December 10, 2020, 10:14:15 AM »
I also found it quite hard to get through this song... I don't understand how these guys finish a song like this and then say "we can release this song like that" and all agree on it.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2723 on: December 10, 2020, 10:16:44 AM »
It is legitimately terrible.  The only thing worse than the song is the video.  If Billy Sherwood and Jon Davison are the ones steering the good ship Yes going forward, I'm going to give them a hard pass.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2724 on: December 10, 2020, 10:46:56 AM »
Steve Howe is (to me) the only "real" Yes member left.  Geoff Downes has earned some cred with me because I've always liked his keyboard work, even if he's not as fast and flashy as Wakeman.  And with Chris gone and Jon A not likely to come back, Steve is the closest thing we have to an original member.

Anyway, it's discouraging because I'm sure Steve would like Yes to continue, but he can't do it alone.  So he's recently put more effort into his solo and trio work, which I guess left Sherwood and Davison to go do this Arc of Life thing, which is generally disappointing.  Especially disappointing because I like Circa, and Arc of Life is like half Circa, so expectations were high.

Obviously I would have preferred Howe, Davison, and Sherwood to work together on new Yes music, but for whatever reason, that didn't happen and Arc of Life is apparently that's the closest we're gonna get for now.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2725 on: December 10, 2020, 11:03:15 AM »

-Marc.
Are these guys for real??  :metal :metal :metal :metal  :lol  :lol   :facepalm:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2726 on: December 10, 2020, 11:55:48 AM »
Kerzner is someone who I've loved his involvement in different projects and I always loved World Trade which Billy and Jay came from.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #2727 on: December 10, 2020, 12:10:12 PM »
Holy shit. I thought you guys were exaggerating a bit. Then I listened to it. No, thank you.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2728 on: December 12, 2020, 08:35:45 PM »

It’s appropriate for The Lord of the Rings to have the most prog rock cast ever. Also, Boromir is Ray Wilson.

I had not thought of that.  Kind of makes sense.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2729 on: December 12, 2020, 08:37:50 PM »
I want to like that, I do, but....    I don't.   

I'm a fan of Billy Sherwood, at least I think I am, but everything he's on I don't really like.  :)

I am NOT a fan of Billy Sherwood so there is no need for any further exploration from me.