Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 257371 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: The (New?) Official Yes Thread
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2009, 02:24:51 PM »
My favorite band.  I've been listening to Yes since I was seven and my oldest brother brough Fragile home on vinyl. I have never looked back.  Seen them on almost every tour since 90125, and have never been disapointed.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2009, 02:31:40 PM »
My favorite band.  I've been listening to Yes since I was seven and my oldest brother brough Fragile home on vinyl. I have never looked back.  Seen them on almost every tour since 90125, and have never been disapointed.

This is about my story except I was 4 when Fragile came out.  My cousin got some Yes albums from his guitar teacher(Who bacame mine also). I've seen them on at least 9 shows from 90125 till the tour they did with Kansas.  It was the long song tour. They played 3 20+ min. songs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2009, 09:18:20 PM »
The Masterworks Tour.  Friend of mine back home in Michigan had tickets, and knew I'm a huge Yes fan, but didn't call me because he figured I wouldn't cruise over from Chicago to see them.  Fucking asshole.  I would have.

Anyway, I can't believe there are so many people here older than me.  I was 10 when Fragile came out in 1972.  You guys were born in the 50's?  Damn, you're old!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2009, 11:05:07 PM »
I think it is always a shame how much songs from the first two records are overlooked.  Songs like "Time and a Word," "Astral Traveler," "Survival," "Sweet Dreams" and "Looking Around" are all really good.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2009, 01:18:44 AM »
Anyway, I can't believe there are so many people here older than me.  I was 10 when Fragile came out in 1972.  You guys were born in the 50's?  Damn, you're old!
I was -19 back then. :lol

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2009, 01:34:59 AM »
when DT was touring with Yes I picked up a lot of their stuff.  most of it wasn't for me.  I kept a good number of songs and still enjoy them (close to the edge, wonderful stories, etc).  And while I realize I was seeing Yes in their latter years, watching DT and then Yes was the ultimate contrast.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2009, 07:19:24 AM »
The Masterworks Tour.  Friend of mine back home in Michigan had tickets, and knew I'm a huge Yes fan, but didn't call me because he figured I wouldn't cruise over from Chicago to see them.  Fucking asshole.  I would have.

Thanks Orbert, I couldn't remember the name of the tour.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2009, 08:09:18 AM »
I think it is always a shame how much songs from the first two records are overlooked.  Songs like "Time and a Word," "Astral Traveler," "Survival," "Sweet Dreams" and "Looking Around" are all really good.

The first two albums are both very good, and provide hints at the prog to come, but overall they're mostly just "regular" songs, not the full-blown prog that seemed to appear the day Steve Howe walked in the door.

Not that there's anything wrong with "regular" songs, as opposed to every song being "epic", but when people think of Yes, it's usually either (a) that 70's band that recorded like 10 or so epics, or (b) that 80's band that did "Owner of a Lonely Heart".  I'm guessing that around here, it's the prog that's the attraction.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2009, 09:08:16 AM »

I agree with these song choices! I'd also like to add "Something's Coming", and if you haven't heard it yet, you're missing out!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2009, 09:58:39 AM »

This! Yes is a phenomenal album! So many of those songs are so good, and always forgotten.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2009, 11:24:21 AM »
"No Opportunity Necessary, No Experience Needed" has appeared on every Yes compilation I've ever made.  That cheesy overdubbed string section totally makes it for me.  No, I don't know why and yes, I'm completely serious.

"Something's Coming" is awesome!  Yes did a lot of covers in the early days, but they weren't just covers; they took them and Yessified them.  "America", "Every Little Thing", "I See You", and of course NONNEN.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2009, 10:40:49 PM »
I LOVE Yes. I saw them once on the Union Tour.

I've got them all except for Open Your Eyes (NOT a Billy Sherwood fan) and anything released after 2001 except for THe Word Is Live.

Among my favorites are The Yes Album, Close To The Edge, Relayer, Drama, 90125 and Keys I.

I like Fragile too, but I don't think it's a near the top as others here. The production is great, but vibe on The Yes Album is nearly unmatchable (before the ego crystalization?)

I really like the first two albums too, I listen to them as much as the others.  I even like Keys II and The Ladder and I should really listen to them more than I do.

I've never been really impressed with Yessongs (killer track list!) and Yesshows and I'm not sure why. I'm sure there are better recordings out there, but I've never checked them out for one reason or another. An Evening of Yes Plus is awesome even with Squire, but I've yet to find that amazing live album, though I'm sure they are out there.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2009, 12:23:26 AM »
Close to the Edge and Fragile are great, but I guess that's what everyone says. Couldn't get into Tales at all

Offline Shadoshi

• Slave of Dimitrius
  • Co-dependent much?
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2009, 04:12:03 AM »
Drums:  Bill Bruford vs Mike Portnoy

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NOOOOOO. JUST NO.  :tdwn
Have ever actually HEARD Bill Bruford play drums?

(edit)

Sorry, I know I'm overreacting, so I'll give a better reason. Listen to Close to the Edge. From a drumming stand point, it is one of the most complex and beautifully intricate works in drumming, hands down. Bill keeps the rhythm completely smooth while still throwing in complex polyrhythms and maintaining a really unique style of playing while doing so. The parts he wrote for that album are so intense that you'll find something new that he's doing each time you listen to the album. Mike is great, don't get me wrong. But even he would openly agree to Bill being the better of them, I'm sure. Bill's later work and even his jazz albums contain some of the most hardcore drumming I've ever heard.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 04:18:09 AM by Shadoshi »

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2009, 07:13:56 AM »
Close to the edge is my favorite album. I actually got into Yes, starting with "Time and a word". This album is a gem thats really overlooked! But, it's not really that proggy, so i understand.. "Time and a word" and "Then" are my favorite songs from that album..

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2009, 11:32:49 AM »
Drums:  Bill Bruford vs Mike Portnoy

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NOOOOOO. JUST NO.  :tdwn

(edit)

Sorry, I know I'm overreacting, so I'll give a better reason. Listen to Close to the Edge. From a drumming stand point, it is one of the most complex and beautifully intricate works in drumming, hands down. Bill keeps the rhythm completely smooth while still throwing in complex polyrhythms and maintaining a really unique style of playing while doing so. The parts he wrote for that album are so intense that you'll find something new that he's doing each time you listen to the album. Mike is great, don't get me wrong. But even he would openly agree to Bill being the better of them, I'm sure. Bill's later work and even his jazz albums contain some of the most hardcore drumming I've ever heard.

This.  Mike is getting pretty good at fills that don't sound like he's just filling because he can, but a lot of the time that's exactly what it sounds like.  Extra beats just because he can, not because it actually adds anything.  Bill's forte has always been his extreme discipline (ha!) and he never distracts from the main rhythm, but augments it in ways you barely notice.  He's quietly going completely nuts back there, providing tension and complexity at the subconscious level.

Offline Shadoshi

• Slave of Dimitrius
  • Co-dependent much?
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2009, 12:11:30 PM »

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NOOOOOO. JUST NO.  :tdwn

(edit)

This.  Mike is getting pretty good at fills that don't sound like he's just filling because he can, but a lot of the time that's exactly what it sounds like.  Extra beats just because he can, not because it actually adds anything.  Bill's forte has always been his extreme discipline (ha!) and he never distracts from the main rhythm, but augments it in ways you barely notice.  He's quietly going completely nuts back there, providing tension and complexity at the subconscious level.
:hefdaddy :metal
Absolutely. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2009, 12:57:37 PM »
Agreed about Bruford; Portnoy is obviously a fine drummer, but Bruford is a monster.

Couldn't get into Tales at all

I couldn't either for the longest time; finally did a few years ago.  Overall, it is a very good record; each song could have used some trimming, but when listened to all of the way through, it is a heckuva journey.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2009, 01:41:56 PM »
Tales is a beautiful album, although I think Ritual is overrated, the rest is MUCH better.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2009, 01:46:30 PM »
"The Remembering" has the biggest tease ever.  The song takes forever to buildup, but it finally seems to reach a point where a major payoff is gonna come, Wakeman's solo around the 13 or 14 minute mark, but as just as fast as it begins, it ends, and Anderson comes in with another vocal section.  It is almost like the lyrical direction Anderson wanted made them cut Wakeman's solo short, so Anderson could get back to his lyrics about God knows what.  Also, Howe soloing along with Wakeman for much of the solo was unnecessary and distracting, too.  That could have been one of the best keyboard solos ever, but alas, it was not to be.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2009, 11:48:13 PM »
Drums:  Bill Bruford vs Mike Portnoy

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NOOOOOO. JUST NO.  :tdwn

(edit)

:lol  Looks like my innocuous little comparison touched a nerve!  Well, I can't dispute the greatness of Bill Bruford, but I think Orbert used a couple of words which might explain my choice:

Quiet and subconscious.  There's an understatement to Bruford's style, something that you don't necessarily associate with Mike Portnoy.   Even from the standpoint of pure sonics, Bruford has a 'drier' sound when compared to the big 'wet' lush sounds that Portnoy gets with his drumming. 

Believe me, I was hugely disappointed that Bruford left Yes while the band was at the peak of their powers.  Looking back though, I can't really complain because he went on to give us the greatest stretch of King Crimson albums with Lark's, Starless and Red. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2009, 11:58:02 PM »
Going to attempt a Close To The Edge listen tonight. I'm hoping I love it.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2009, 12:41:26 PM »
Anyone interested in doing a Yes Top 20-30-50 (whatever) list? I am interested in your thoughts about their songs, since I'm a fairly uneducated Yes listener. I'm sure a few others here would appreciate it too.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2009, 12:50:31 PM »
Maybe.  What's a 20-30-50 list?  Top 20%, bottom 30%, middle 50%?  That kind of thing?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2009, 12:59:08 PM »
No I mean, Top 20 or Top 30 or Top 50 - something like that.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2009, 03:57:48 PM »
Interesting idea, but honestly, listening to individual Yes songs from albums is kinda like eating half an order of french fries for lunch.  It might taste fine, but there should be more.

Yes, as with most prog bands, really should be listened to an album at a time, which is why the discussion thus far has been about albums.  Each one has its own characteristics.  Seriously, no two Yes albums are alike, or even very similar past the superficial details.

Offline Shadoshi

• Slave of Dimitrius
  • Co-dependent much?
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2009, 07:05:50 PM »
"The Remembering" has the biggest tease ever.  The song takes forever to buildup, but it finally seems to reach a point where a major payoff is gonna come, Wakeman's solo around the 13 or 14 minute mark, but as just as fast as it begins, it ends, and Anderson comes in with another vocal section.  It is almost like the lyrical direction Anderson wanted made them cut Wakeman's solo short, so Anderson could get back to his lyrics about God knows what.  Also, Howe soloing along with Wakeman for much of the solo was unnecessary and distracting, too.  That could have been one of the best keyboard solos ever, but alas, it was not to be.

Sure you're not talking about The Revealing Science of God (or whatever it was called)? I don't recall an awesome keyboard solo on The Remembering. Also, The Remembering is my favorite song. Yes it'a ambient and tough, but the sections are down right mesmerizing and absolutely beautiful. I get lost in the song, honestly. But then again, I love ambient music.

But yeah, TRSoG had a really kick-ass solo near the end of it (a very retro 70s sounding one for that matter) and if that's what you're talking about, I agree that it exits too quickly. That section is awesome.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2009, 11:16:55 PM »
No, I am talking about "The Remembering," specifically the keyboard part that goes from 14:12-14:36.  That should have been an epic keyboard solo (with everything else supporting underneath, as opposed to Steve Howe sounding like he is trying to play over that awesome keyboard melody), but instead it lasted a mere 25 seconds.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2009, 11:51:46 PM »
Okay, trying to do a Yes top 30, 40 or 50 would be a massive undertaking, but I did a top 10, just for fun:

10. "I've Seen All Good People"
9. "South Side of the Sky"
8. "Endless Dream"
7. "Siberian Khatru"
6. "Yours Is No Disgrace"
5. "Roundabout"
4. "Close to the Edge"
3. "Starship Trooper"
2. "The Gates of Delirium"
1. "And You and I"

Offline Mladen

« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2009, 06:59:33 AM »
Hearing only the albums from TYA to Tormato, my top 10 would be awkward, because I know there are some great songs later, but what the heck...

10. Long distance runaround
9. Going for the one
8. Heart of the sunrise
7. And you and I
6. Starship trooper
5. The Ancient
4. Awaken
3. Roundabout
2. The Revealing science of God
1. Close to the edge

Not a fan of Relayer, as you can see...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2009, 07:04:29 AM »
I don't hear a lot of people talking about Keys to Ascension 1 & 2.  I love the studio songs.  I think KTA2 has better production than 1.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2009, 09:37:49 AM »
The Keys collections were worth getting just for the spectacular live version of "Onward."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2009, 10:29:12 AM »
The Keys to Ascension albums are great, but so frustrating.  The classic 5-piece band had finally reunited at SLO and they wanted to get the recordings out there, plus they had a CD worth of new material.  So what did the suits do?  Fucked the whole thing up by releasing Keys at the same time as Open Your Eyes but giving it no promo at all, and split the live and new studio stuff between the two Keys releases.  Yes has a long, long history of having no idea what they're doing on the business side, and trusting everything to managers and record execs who have no idea what they're doing, either.

The seven studio tracks from the two Keys albums total 74 minutes, which was the capacity of a CD back then (80 minute CDs hadn't come out yet).  That can't be a coincidence.  After the Union mess, the not-bad Talk by the 90125 lineup, and the band breaking up again, this should have been the amazing, massive return of the classic lineup.  Seven new studio tracks, including two epics!  Instead, almost no one has even heard it.

Anyway, the Keys material is solid, IMO.  "Mind Drive" is easily my favorite latter-day Yes tune.  Some of the other tracks do feel a bit padded out by endless repeated sections, but it all sounds good, so... okay.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2009, 02:19:32 PM »
The Keys to Ascension albums are great, but so frustrating.  The classic 5-piece band had finally reunited at SLO and they wanted to get the recordings out there, plus they had a CD worth of new material.  So what did the suits do?  Fucked the whole thing up by releasing Keys at the same time as Open Your Eyes but giving it no promo at all, and split the live and new studio stuff between the two Keys releases.  Yes has a long, long history of having no idea what they're doing on the business side, and trusting everything to managers and record execs who have no idea what they're doing, either.

The seven studio tracks from the two Keys albums total 74 minutes, which was the capacity of a CD back then (80 minute CDs hadn't come out yet).  That can't be a coincidence.  After the Union mess, the not-bad Talk by the 90125 lineup, and the band breaking up again, this should have been the amazing, massive return of the classic lineup.  Seven new studio tracks, including two epics!  Instead, almost no one has even heard it.

Anyway, the Keys material is solid, IMO.  "Mind Drive" is easily my favorite latter-day Yes tune.  Some of the other tracks do feel a bit padded out by endless repeated sections, but it all sounds good, so... okay.

Good thing they released "Keystudio" with all those tracks, as well as a different version of "Children Of The Light" from the Keys To Ascension release.

I agree, the Keys studio material SHOULD have been their 90's come-back album, and I think the reception to it at a full studio album would've cultivated a revival in Yes, and whatever they would've done next would've been better than OYE and The Ladder (not that The Ladder isn't bad, it's much better than OYE).

I wish they would re-release the Live Keys material on a proper 2-CD set, but I already re-mixed the tracks into their proper setlist order and made my own 2-CD set! And speaking of Keys, I recently found out that they are re-releasing the concert video on DVD very soon!!! Can't wait to get that, but I hear the special effects really ruin the experience... and the over-dubs are jarring to hear when you see them not playing what you hear...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2009, 02:29:31 PM »

Keys:  Rick Wakeman vs Kevin Moore
Guitars:  Steve Howe vs John Petrucci
Vocals:  Jon Anderson vs James Labrie  (tie)
Bass:  Chris Squire vs John Myung
This, but the opposite. And Jon Anderson > LaBrie.