Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 264341 times)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #2240 on: March 09, 2019, 04:23:16 PM »
There are a few songs on OYE that I might have enjoyed (despite the ones that would've been abysmal no matter what), but the over-compressed production makes OYE literally painful for me. I'll pass thanks. :|
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2241 on: March 09, 2019, 05:44:39 PM »
Yeah I like BG too. I do remember hearing Shoot High Aim Low on the radio, but not in a long time. I don't really know if it would be considered a deep cut, but it is definitely a top 2 Rabin era song for me along with Endless Dream.

Shoot High Aim Low might be my 3rd favorite from the Rabin era after Endless Dream and Changes.  But wait, there is The Calling, and Hearts, and I Am Waiting, and Owner of a Lonely Heart, and Love Will Find a Way, and...so many good songs!!!!!! :tup :tup
Also there is Real Love, a very unique song that really rocks when it kicks into gear and that guitar solo!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2242 on: March 10, 2019, 08:43:36 AM »

Also there is Real Love, a very unique song that really rocks when it kicks into gear and that guitar solo!

Yep, Real Love is fantastic; it would definitely rank near the top for me of favorite Rabin-era tunes. :tup :tup

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2243 on: March 10, 2019, 09:39:17 AM »
I remember Rabin shredding on that song live in 1994, extended guitar solo..  :omg:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2244 on: March 10, 2019, 10:20:28 AM »
I discovered the three Rabin era albums around the same time and thought all of them are good. However, Talk turned out to be the only one I return to. For some reason, 90125 and Big generator started sounding a bit dated and way too 80s. But Talk - now, that's some solid prog with a dash hard rock and pop thrown in for good measure.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2245 on: March 10, 2019, 10:26:13 AM »
I just discovered a full concert of the Union Tour last night on YouTube! I started to watch, couldn't stop watching, abandoned all my Saturday night plans and watched it till the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j81boILNI8&t=4689s

I hope it's okay to post this here, otherwise I'll remove it of course.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2246 on: March 10, 2019, 06:07:47 PM »
A large portion of Yes fans would disagree, but Endless Dream kicks the ever-living snot out of Awaken.  :hat

Sure does and Awaken isn't even the best song on that album!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2247 on: March 10, 2019, 06:14:28 PM »
Endless Dream is nice, but doesn't come close to the atmosphere of Awaken.

Okay, maybe it comes close, but nothing beats Awaken.  Nothing!

It's not even my favorite from that record! :P

That would go to Turn of the Century.

Awaken does have some glorious moments, but I just have trouble getting through it now.

I'd add Going For The One and Wonderous Stories to that list too.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2248 on: March 10, 2019, 06:25:35 PM »
Yeah I like BG too. I do remember hearing Shoot High Aim Low on the radio, but not in a long time. I don't really know if it would be considered a deep cut, but it is definitely a top 2 Rabin era song for me along with Endless Dream.

Shoot High Aim Low might be my 3rd favorite from the Rabin era after Endless Dream and Changes.  But wait, there is The Calling, and Hearts, and I Am Waiting, and Owner of a Lonely Heart, and Love Will Find a Way, and...so many good songs!!!!!! :tup :tup

I'll admit to listening to Shoot High Aim Low from The Word Is Live on repeat for an hour sometimes.

Of The '70s albums and Drama, I would only rank Close To The Edge above Going For The One and Tormato,

Title track is OK, but I like two A LOT more.

Have nothing good to say about Open Your Eyes (Only Yes album I've ever sold back) so I won't.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2249 on: March 10, 2019, 06:27:41 PM »
I just discovered a full concert of the Union Tour last night on YouTube! I started to watch, couldn't stop watching, abandoned all my Saturday night plans and watched it till the end.

Haven't picked up that Live Union set yet.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2250 on: March 10, 2019, 10:10:45 PM »
I like Rabin-era Yes the most, especially the Talk album. Endless Dream is  :hefdaddy

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2251 on: March 11, 2019, 12:44:02 AM »
I like Rabin-era Yes the most, especially the Talk album. Endless Dream is  :hefdaddy
:hefdaddy

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2252 on: March 11, 2019, 07:30:07 AM »

That has been around for a while in various forms and formats.  It's a good show from what was - at least relative to the album - a great tour.  I think I saw three shows from that tour. 

I don't usually feel this way about musicians/artists that we lose (John Wetton is perhaps the only other one in this group), but I miss Chris Squire so much.   He had a way of making that Rickenbacker look so... small.   I don't know if it was a special model or what, but you look at him, then look at Geddy or Cliff Burton, on whom the Rick looks like a slab from a barn wall...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2253 on: March 11, 2019, 07:34:20 AM »
If someone asked me what rock album features the most bad ass bass playing, the answer would be easy and instant:

Fragile

Chris Squire... :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2254 on: March 11, 2019, 07:41:29 AM »
If someone asked me what rock album features the most bad ass bass playing, the answer would be easy and instant:

Fragile

I actually wouldn't argue with that even a little bit.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2255 on: March 11, 2019, 11:00:37 AM »

Fragile

Word, Kev.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2256 on: March 16, 2019, 12:32:04 PM »
https://youtu.be/pEQjXM2wFxk

"All Fighters Past" - an unused song from the Fragile days, with bits later reused for CTTE and TFTO.

Just found out about this from the Big Big Train Facebook group, have NEVER heard it before in my life! Anyone else heard of this before, or is this the first time you've heard about this?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2257 on: March 16, 2019, 03:27:54 PM »
https://youtu.be/pEQjXM2wFxk

"All Fighters Past" - an unused song from the Fragile days, with bits later reused for CTTE and TFTO.

Just found out about this from the Big Big Train Facebook group, have NEVER heard it before in my life! Anyone else heard of this before, or is this the first time you've heard about this?

-Marc.

I've heard it before. It was a bonus track on the latest Fragile reissue. It's okay I guess, but I much prefer its re-imagining on TFTO.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2258 on: March 16, 2019, 09:00:32 PM »
It's a neat little time capsule.  I like hearing stuff like this, even if it was later reworked into other things, or perhaps especially because it was later reworked into other things.  It's a glimpse into the creative process, and a glimpse into the past.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2259 on: March 19, 2019, 03:37:42 PM »
Jon Anderson interview, where he confirms that Yes featuring ARW is on indefinite hiatus:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/yes-jon-anderson-interview-new-album-reunion-809684/

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2260 on: March 19, 2019, 04:52:55 PM »
Jon Anderson interview, where he confirms that Yes featuring ARW is on indefinite hiatus:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/yes-jon-anderson-interview-new-album-reunion-809684/
Well that sucks!  :tdwn :(

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2261 on: March 19, 2019, 05:54:16 PM »
My guess, and this really is just a guess, is that Anderson wanted to do an album, but Rabin did not, which makes me wonder if Rabin didn't feel like he had anything bursting to come out that would sound like what he feels a Yes album should sound like.  Plus, it seems like more and more older bands are content with touring, since that is where the money is, and don't have a lot of interest is making new albums, which aren't gonna make any money.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2262 on: March 19, 2019, 06:58:02 PM »
Honestly, the idea of an ARW record was so up-in-the-air for a long time that I began to lose interest. Jon likes to keep busy, as we have seen with his work with Stolt and his upcoming solo album, but it seems like nothing was going to happen with Rabin and/or Wakeman.

Should Jon team back up with the rest of the current Yes band and do a 50th anniversary tour? I don't see why not. It would be a HUGE money-making tour, because fans  old and new will flock to it, just to see Jon with Steve and Alan again. Heck, bring back any and every Yesman they can get, and cover all eras of Yes. Do a retrospective tour where they play one song per album, or celebrate a single album throughout (if Jon's voice can handle that, that is).

Honestly, if there is hope for one major 70's prog reunion left, it's  Yes. While King Crimson still trucks on, the likes of Genesis and Pink Floyd will never reunite, and being that Yes is one of the oldest institutions in progressive rock, it would be a shame if they passed up this landmark because they aren't playing nice. Do it for the band, for the fans, and for Chris.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2263 on: March 19, 2019, 07:08:19 PM »
Eh, there is no point.  Chris Squire is dead and Alan White cannot physically do it anymore. It would not be a true reunion.  The band has given us 50 years. I think that's enough. Not to say that they won't find a way to milk a little more from the fans, but it doesn't need to happen.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2264 on: March 19, 2019, 08:33:04 PM »

That has been around for a while in various forms and formats.  It's a good show from what was - at least relative to the album - a great tour.  I think I saw three shows from that tour. 

I don't usually feel this way about musicians/artists that we lose (John Wetton is perhaps the only other one in this group), but I miss Chris Squire so much.   He had a way of making that Rickenbacker look so... small.   I don't know if it was a special model or what, but you look at him, then look at Geddy or Cliff Burton, on whom the Rick looks like a slab from a barn wall...

I know. But there's so much music out there and this one keeps getting put off for whatever reason. 

Emerson, Mercury, Bowie and Kevin Gilbert are the guys I really miss.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2265 on: March 19, 2019, 08:35:17 PM »

Fragile

Word, Kev.

Not my favorite album by a long shot, but it's a sonic masterpiece. They really nailed the sound on that one.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2266 on: March 20, 2019, 01:26:39 AM »
By the way, does anyone know the current status of Anderson/Stolt? There were going to do a second album right? Plus, I think they signed a two record deal, so they kinda have to release another album now :D (With Jon, you never know).

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2267 on: March 20, 2019, 01:40:17 AM »
I don't remember if this has already been mentioned in the thread, but didn't anyone else know that Jon Anderson is releasing a solo album on 31/3?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1000_Hands:_Chapter_One

Interestingly, Chris Squire is listed as a bassist in the Personnel section. Perhaps they're using of his unused Yes material? :huh:

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2268 on: March 20, 2019, 03:13:17 AM »
Interestingly, Chris Squire is listed as a bassist in the Personnel section. Perhaps they're using of his unused Yes material? :huh:

I think this album was a long time in the making, so Chris probably recorded his bass lines some time before his death.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2269 on: March 20, 2019, 03:48:04 AM »
It was posted in the Yes Discography thread!

It's a curious release, because 1. it's being released on a Sunday and 2. it's not available anywhere except for the 1000Hands website for 60$ plus 24$ shipping (for the vinyl).

I hope the vinyl will be available somewhere else because I refuse to pay so much money for a single vinyl.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2270 on: March 20, 2019, 04:05:55 AM »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2271 on: March 20, 2019, 04:36:39 AM »
Wow, that's a fast, uplifting song. I was not expecting something so drastically different from that album he did with Roine Stolt. I'm not sure what I think of the song itself, I'm just struck with how different it is. Also, it's great to hear Jon's voice again.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2272 on: March 20, 2019, 04:45:00 AM »
It was posted in the Yes Discography thread!

It's a curious release, because 1. it's being released on a Sunday and 2. it's not available anywhere except for the 1000Hands website for 60$ plus 24$ shipping (for the vinyl).

I hope the vinyl will be available somewhere else because I refuse to pay so much money for a single vinyl.

CD is 19.95$ plus 14$ for shipping (and 8+ weeks before it arrives).  :omg:

Hi guys, I've made a new record that's really great, but I don't want you to really hear it, that's why I sell it only at my website for ridiculous prices.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2273 on: March 20, 2019, 05:21:56 AM »
It's like Neal Morse and Radiant but 100 times worse. Why are they cutting themselves off from the European market (and all other markets for that matter)??

This album is not gonna sell if this is the only way of getting it.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2274 on: March 20, 2019, 05:25:26 AM »
Wow, & I thought the distribution for Fly From Here: Return Trip was bad. :lol