Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 257381 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #2100 on: May 02, 2018, 12:54:23 PM »
Can we please stop complaining about the complaining?

:) :)

I can’t believe you’re complaining about this right now.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2101 on: May 02, 2018, 08:18:39 PM »
And yacht rock is now a subject of two threads.

What the hell is yacht rock?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacht_rock

Most people throw the term out like it is an insult to be considered part of that style, but not everything has to ROCK to be good.

They renamed '70's soft rock?  Why?  Never understood the need to file everything down.  The bigger umbrella the better.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2102 on: May 02, 2018, 08:24:50 PM »

They renamed '70's soft rock?  Why?  Never understood the need to file everything down.  The bigger umbrella the better.

Agreed.  But hey, people love their labels. :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2103 on: May 02, 2018, 08:41:25 PM »

Most people throw the term out like it is an insult to be considered part of that style, but not everything has to ROCK to be good.

I only just heard it from a 90s kid about 2 months ago.   But I thought it was so freakin hilarious and perfect that it just stuck.   

There's even a YT comedy series that makes fun of it.  Pretty freakin hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNTARSM-Fjc
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2104 on: May 03, 2018, 10:16:40 AM »

I think it's less about "labels" than it is the desperate, undying need to be hip and snarky about EVERYTHING. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2105 on: May 03, 2018, 11:47:51 AM »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2106 on: May 10, 2018, 07:26:09 PM »

I think it's less about "labels" than it is the desperate, undying need to be hip and snarky about EVERYTHING.

You may be right. I may be crazy.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2107 on: July 07, 2018, 03:14:55 PM »
Hey everyone!  The Yes thread has been quiet lately, so it's time to bring it back.
 I was wondering what is your favorite Yes era?  Many prefer the classic era, but I really like the Trevor Rabin era. Especially towards the end with the TALK album.
I just purchased a dvd of the TALK Tour filmed in Santiago Chile and it is pretty fantastic! It's easily the best footage of that era that I've come across. I saw them on that tour at The Gorge and is still by far the best Yes experience I've ever had. Trevor Rabin brings alot more energy to the band and that's when Yes was at their peak in 1994. :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2108 on: July 17, 2018, 04:17:23 PM »
Hey everyone!  The Yes thread has been quiet lately, so it's time to bring it back.
 I was wondering what is your favorite Yes era?  Many prefer the classic era, but I really like the Trevor Rabin era. Especially towards the end with the TALK album.
I just purchased a dvd of the TALK Tour filmed in Santiago Chile and it is pretty fantastic! It's easily the best footage of that era that I've come across. I saw them on that tour at The Gorge and is still by far the best Yes experience I've ever had. Trevor Rabin brings alot more energy to the band and that's when Yes was at their peak in 1994. :coolio

That's a pretty amazing show. Wish I'd seen them on that tour. They were on fire.  Needed to see Rush 4 times that year instead.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2109 on: July 18, 2018, 11:45:40 AM »

That's a pretty amazing show. Wish I'd seen them on that tour. They were on fire.  Needed to see Rush 4 times that year instead.
I missed Rush on the Counterparts tour, they didn't come to Seattle that year if I remember right. That's awesome you got to see them four times, but it would have been totally worth it to sacrifice one of those Rush concerts to see YES that year. It was epic!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 10:39:30 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2110 on: July 18, 2018, 06:47:07 PM »
In the span of three months in 1994, I saw Rush, Yes, Moody Blues and Pink Floyd.  :hat

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2111 on: July 18, 2018, 07:01:53 PM »
That sounds like a damned good year, even if it was only three months.  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2112 on: July 18, 2018, 07:02:03 PM »
In 1994? Rookie. :neverusethis:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2113 on: July 18, 2018, 07:08:11 PM »
In 1994? Rookie. :neverusethis:

I was waiting for your one-up post. :lol :P

That sounds like a damned good year, even if it was only three months.  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Hell yeah it was. That was the first time I saw Yes, and the first and only time I saw the mighty Floyd. :coolio

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2114 on: July 19, 2018, 05:39:59 PM »

I missed Rush on the Counterparts tour, they didn't come to Seattle that year if I remember right. That's awesome you got to see them four times, but it would have been totally worth it to sacrifice one of those Rush concerts to see YES that year. It was epic!

Not for me it wouldn't.

Saw Prelude for the first time ever and it would be another 20 years before I'd see it again, Probably the best arrangement of Xanadu they've ever done, Leave That Thing Alone and Alex doing stand up during Closer To The Heart.

I mean I love Yes and all ( Have all of the albums except of Open Your Eyes and last couple) but there's know way I'd miss Rush.

Well,  unless the Presto tour was extended with the same set. I'd have probably not seen them a fourth time on that tour.

I kind of regret not seeing Yes then, but I would have regretted not seeing Rush again more.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2115 on: July 31, 2018, 10:56:20 AM »
bump.

Yes Featuring ARW just posted a new song "Fragile"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFgi-gfTdqg

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2116 on: July 31, 2018, 11:00:31 AM »
I made it nearly 2 minutes in, but it didn't seem to be doing anything.  Does it get better?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2117 on: July 31, 2018, 11:22:15 AM »
I actually really enjoyed that....even though it feels a bit like pandering.

Sounds like they rewrote Wonderous Stories and named it after a classic album just to get everyone’s attention.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2118 on: July 31, 2018, 11:32:04 AM »
Good analysis jammindude! The song has a nice atmospheric vibe to it, great vocals from Trevor and Jon. Trevor throws in some nice fancy guitar work later in the song. I can't wait to hear the rest of the album when released, this is my favorite Yes line-up.  Wish they had Geddy on bass, one can only dream..  :coolio
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 11:45:34 AM by Architeuthis »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2119 on: July 31, 2018, 11:47:30 AM »
Wish they had Geddy on bass, one can only dream.. ::)

I've been wanting this to happen since they played together at RnRHoF, would be the perfect lineup :hefdaddy
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2120 on: July 31, 2018, 12:25:12 PM »
Same here, that was pretty awesome at the RRHOF!  Very appropriate too, being that Geddy is such a big Yes fan.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2121 on: July 31, 2018, 07:04:55 PM »
I don't think Yes Featuring ARW released that song, so much that it was uploaded after it was played on some radio show where Rabin did an interview.  Notice the old transistor radio quality.

That said, it's a nice little song, and will sound a lot better once the quality is cleaned up.  Hearing Rabin and Anderson sing together again is pretty sweet.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2122 on: August 01, 2018, 01:46:27 AM »
finally new material from ARW!?! :omg:

Yeah, I'm hyped as fuck :woot:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2123 on: August 08, 2018, 11:29:40 AM »
Talk is one of my favorite records actually! I had to hunt down a copy on eBay, but it was worth it.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2124 on: September 01, 2018, 04:30:44 AM »
Hilarious ARW interview with Steve Jones
https://youtu.be/s1DWBIBDLPo

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #2125 on: September 07, 2018, 10:43:47 AM »
This ARW live CD is fine but I wish there was a lot more YesWest (90125, Big Generator, Talk). I like Roundabout, Awaken and I've Seen All Good People as much as the next guy but I already have a dozen live versions of them. Looks like 5 tracks of YesWest not counting Owner of a Lonely Heart. Tripling that and playing YesWest deep tracks would have been great. As it is, it's worth buying but a missed opportunity.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2126 on: September 07, 2018, 01:29:28 PM »
This ARW live CD is fine but I wish there was a lot more YesWest (90125, Big Generator, Talk). I like Roundabout, Awaken and I've Seen All Good People as much as the next guy but I already have a dozen live versions of them. Looks like 5 tracks of YesWest not counting Owner of a Lonely Heart. Tripling that and playing YesWest deep tracks would have been great. As it is, it's worth buying but a missed opportunity.
I didn't even know this was released. I agree though, they need alot more YesWest songs. I think it's a crime that Shoot High Aim Low and Endless Dream aren't automatic staples in a set list with Trevor Rabin and Jon Anderson in the line-up.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2127 on: September 07, 2018, 01:56:51 PM »
I'm having trouble seeing how it needs more YesWest.  Nearly half the tracks are YesWest as it is.  The "classic Yes" tracks are longer, so more runtime, but still pretty evenly divided, considering Rabin was in the band less than 10 years out of 50.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2128 on: September 07, 2018, 03:57:16 PM »
I'm having trouble seeing how it needs more YesWest.  Nearly half the tracks are YesWest as it is.  The "classic Yes" tracks are longer, so more runtime, but still pretty evenly divided, considering Rabin was in the band less than 10 years out of 50.

Agree.  The album pretty much alternates between "Yes West" material and "classic" material (with the one Union track thrown in).  You've got 4 "classic" albums represented by 7 tracks and 2 YW albums represented by 5 tracks (with 1 YW album not represented and 5 "classic" albums not represented and one non-album YW track included as part of a "medley" with OoaLH).  Given that there's significantly less YW source material, it wouldn't be unreasonable to say that the YW material is OVER-represented.

That said, I understand the sentiment of not needing yet another live version of "Roundabout" or "All Good People."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2129 on: September 07, 2018, 05:02:58 PM »
Double post
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2130 on: September 07, 2018, 05:04:32 PM »
I’ve heard this album and I liked it a lot! Yes, there’s a lot of expected songs, but also a lot of cool twists on the original arrangements that make these versions very interesting. The band’s performance in itself is stellar, very impressive!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2131 on: September 09, 2018, 10:15:11 AM »

Can't see how Wakeman would ever play on a lot of those tracks although I'd say seeing Howe do it is less likely.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2132 on: September 11, 2018, 11:54:35 PM »
I haven't heard the record yet but the tracklist is a huge letdown for me. For almost all of the songs there are many many live versions already. I heard that they sometimes played South Side Of The Sky or The Meeting or I Am Waiting live, why not put those on the disc for a change? If you have Rabin in the band, then play and release more from Talk or some deep cuts from 90125 or Big Generator. Why play I've Seen All Good People for the millionth time where originally neither Wakeman nor Rabin were part of?

This is playing it safe, too safe, but it fits in the grand scheme of Yes, another missed opportunity.  :-\

And where is that studio album they were talking about?

/rant over
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Heavy Metal Hippie

« Reply #2133 on: September 12, 2018, 06:36:27 AM »
The lack of Endless Dream isn't a missed opportunity, it's a big kick in the balls.
I've Seen All Good People is a staple like Owner. They just have to play it. It'd be like no Highway to Hell or Satisfaction.
The production work by Rabin is outstanding. Best sounding Yes live album I know. Like Devi already mentioned, many songs come with a little twist or an extension. I'm happy to hear in what good condition the voice of Anderson is and yes, the wait for an album is killing me, too.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 06:48:09 AM by Heavy Metal Hippie »

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2134 on: September 12, 2018, 07:10:38 AM »
I think the track listing is fine.  You guys realize that the whole point of ARW is that they've rearranged and recast a lot of the songs, right?

I haven't heard it all yet, either, but a lot of the buzz on the Yesfans boards is about how much people like what they've done with the arrangements.