Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 257598 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #2065 on: April 18, 2018, 02:09:00 PM »
Oh man, ARW said they were working on a new album two years ago. I'm hoping it is going to be really good and that's the reason it's taking a long time. They also promised a live dvd of the last tour but There's been no mention of it since..
 As far as a new Union project with both incarnations of the band, it will never happen. Trevor Rabin referred to the last Union project as disastrous! That is a shame, because Union happens to be one of my favorite Yes albums.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2066 on: April 18, 2018, 02:17:17 PM »
I agree that the official lineup hasn't really thrilled me lately, but I also have trouble getting excited about ARW.  Rabin is easily the most accomplished musician of the three, but is also the least committed to the project.  Anderson and Wakeman... I love what they did while in Yes, and some of the other things they've done, during and since, but they've become caricatures of themselves. 

Anderson is just too damned wordy now.  Part of the attraction of Yes for me is that it's the music that counts; it didn't matter that the lyrics were nonsense because the voice and melody were amazing.  But as beautiful as Jon's voice is, I don't want to hear it all the damned time.  Wakeman hasn't done anything remotely interesting in years.  His synth patches are shit, and his playing is all literally the same classical and pseudo-classical motifs he's been doing since the 70's.

The ever-changing lineups have never bothered me.  By time I became as Yesfan with Fragile, they'd already had two lineup changes, and two albums later came another.  Then another one two albums later.  Overall, it brings a huge variety to their sound, but because there are also common players (and mostly Jon's voice) there's a consistency to it, something always identifiable as Yes.  Even 90125 and the other Rabin-era albums, the least Yessish of all, still sound like Yes to me.  Some people can't get into Drama because Jon isn't on it.  Sorry, it still sounds very much like Yes to me, and is in fact one of my favorite Yes albums.  I don't think Fly From Here is horrible, though it's not great, but that has nothing to do with the lineup.  It's that the songs are weak.  Jon Davison sounds a lot like Jon Anderson to me, and I was really looking forward to Heaven & Earth, but Heaven & Earth blows, and again it has nothing to do with who's on it.  It just has a lot of really lame songs.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2067 on: April 18, 2018, 02:22:42 PM »
No disrespect to Fritzinger, with whom I usually agree, but I don't really have a problem with the lineup changes.   Maybe it's because  I've been spoiled because  Chris  has been there since Day One, and I always thought he was sort of the soul of the band.  It took me:

- 4 seconds to get over Peter Banks being gone;
- 9 seconds to get over Tony Kaye;
- 15 seconds to get over Bill Bruford;
- 20 minutes to get over Wakeman the first time;
- 2 seconds to get over Patrick Moraz;
- 5 minutes to get over Howe;

From that point on it got to be 0 seconds for everyone.  That's not to say that all are equal or interchangeable.  "Open Your Eyes" is an embarrassment for a band of the caliber of Yes, and I don't think Heaven and Earth is that far behind (though the recent live disks with the entire albums are pretty good).
I agree with most of this, except Steve Howe. He's pretty much a integral part of Yes even though I'm more of a Trevor Rabin fan. I also liked Tony Kay, he was really good live on the Talk Tour in 1994.
My ultimate Yes line-up would be,
Jon Anderson
Trevor Rabin
Alan White
Chris Squire
Rick Wakeman

Now that Chris Squire is gone ( R.I.P.)  I wish they would bring in Geddy Lee to make an album and tour with them. Since Rush has pretty much called it quits, Geddy would be a nice fit being that he's a huge fan of Yes..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2068 on: April 18, 2018, 04:45:53 PM »
Ordinarily I would balk at Lee; but you make a good point. Squire has passed, he's free... he can do the background vocals as well (that was a huge, under-appreciated aspect of Yes; I don't think people realize how much Squire sang in Yes).

I like that line-up, frankly.   I disagree on Kaye - I think he blows - but I like that lineup.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2069 on: April 19, 2018, 01:19:38 AM »
Of course it has something to do with the people playing on there. Someone must have written the stuff. Fly From Here couldn't have been produced by the current line up because Horn and Downes wrote most of it. Same with Heaven & Earth. Jon Davison wrote most of this shitty album.

By the way, the best Yes album of the 2000s is definitely Magnification for me. I don't think they will get better than this anymore. But this album has gems like Dreamtime, In The Presence Of, Spirit Of Survival, We Agree. I even like Don't Do. And it's pretty well produced.

I would love an album with Geddy! I don't know why I had never thought about this, even after seeing him play with Yes at the RnRHoF. My first thought was also that he could perfectly sing Chris's vocals, with his now mature, deeper voice. It would probably be a perfect fit.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2070 on: April 19, 2018, 01:33:33 AM »
So uh, on the subject of Yes' recent albums...

I was playing through Magnification just now, & I was loving the album even more than I remembered. But then, as the album was ready to finish up, the closing track, 'Time Is Time' played.

& I think I started to tear up a little...

I've been going through a lot of mental issues lately, a lot of which revolved around me feeling worthless & depressed. & well, that song spoke to me. I realised that I could still feel the love in my life that could get me from day to day. I realised that even though everything seemed hopeless, I could still find a love of life through it all. I realised that I could still hold on to the things I loved in life whenever I was feeling everything was hopeless. & for the first time in years, I really felt like a human being with real emotions.

I know this is probably coming off as really tmi (especially since no-one here actually knows me personally), but I just wanted to say that, even though no-one from Yes will probably ever read this, songs like this are the reason that people say music can save lives, & to anyone that went into that song, I owe you my life. I don't know where I'd be if it weren't for me hearing that song when I did, & I just want to make it clear how much this song means to me at this point in my life.

Okay, I think I'm starting to tear up again, so I'll wrap this up, but I'm so grateful for everything this band has done for my life, & all the hard times their music has gotten me through. So... thank you... for everything...  :heart
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2071 on: April 19, 2018, 01:43:49 AM »
Very touching, dude  :'( Honestly, you should write this to JON. You know how he is, and I think he will be very happy to read this.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2072 on: April 19, 2018, 08:18:54 AM »
So uh, on the subject of Yes' recent albums...

I was playing through Magnification just now, & I was loving the album even more than I remembered. But then, as the album was ready to finish up, the closing track, 'Time Is Time' played.

& I think I started to tear up a little...

I've been going through a lot of mental issues lately, a lot of which revolved around me feeling worthless & depressed. & well, that song spoke to me. I realised that I could still feel the love in my life that could get me from day to day. I realised that even though everything seemed hopeless, I could still find a love of life through it all. I realised that I could still hold on to the things I loved in life whenever I was feeling everything was hopeless. & for the first time in years, I really felt like a human being with real emotions.

I know this is probably coming off as really tmi (especially since no-one here actually knows me personally), but I just wanted to say that, even though no-one from Yes will probably ever read this, songs like this are the reason that people say music can save lives, & to anyone that went into that song, I owe you my life. I don't know where I'd be if it weren't for me hearing that song when I did, & I just want to make it clear how much this song means to me at this point in my life.

Okay, I think I'm starting to tear up again, so I'll wrap this up, but I'm so grateful for everything this band has done for my life, & all the hard times their music has gotten me through. So... thank you... for everything...  :heart

You should send this to Jon in the form of a letter.  Even if he never reads it - even if he never opens the envelope - it might be cathartic to put your thoughts down on paper. 

I know when I got to meet Neal Morse, I really didn't have much  to say to him, and it was rushed a little bit but I said to him "Thank you; your music has really helped me to focus my faith."   And he looked at me as if my fly was down and a flag with "POW!" was sticking out, and said "well, that's the point of it, isn't it?"   Like it was the most obvious thing in the world.  I think Neal is more focused and thoughtful about it, but I think he and Jon are kindred spirits in the sense of the power of music.

(Only saying this because it's not that far off from what you wrote about "hopelessness" and "joy of life", but when I said "focus" I meant only that his music is so POSITIVE, and it helped me to look at God and spiritualism in a different way.  It's happy.  It's joyful.  I grew up Catholic, which is anything but.  "God will punish you; you are a sinner!"  That kind of stuff.  And Neal kind of re-cast that to "God's a celebration".   Whether you believe in God or not, I think one can substitute "LIFE" in for "God" and get some insight.)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2073 on: April 19, 2018, 10:17:08 AM »
Hang in there, dude. Music does help.  :tup

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2074 on: April 19, 2018, 10:35:25 AM »
Yes music has always has a very positive message in general.  Jon Anderson is a very spiritual person, and it comes through in his music and lyrics.  I've been following Yes for over 40 years, and don't think I've ever read whether Jon practices a specific faith or what it is, but he's clearly a theist of some order, most likely a monotheist.  He's all about God and music and love and being one with the universe.
 I tried to turn one of my former worship leaders onto Yes, but he couldn't handle the prog.  He's a younger guy (mid-30's or so) in the Hillside, Chris Tomlin mold.  Christian Pop, basically.  No interest at all in hearing the band take off; it's all about the message, which means the lyrics, which means just the songs, no instrumental pyrotechnics.

Neal has gone all the way with it and created openly Christian music, and in my obsession with putting labels on things, I think Neal may have actually created a new genre, Christian Prog.  If my WL couldn't handle Yes, I know he couldn't handle Neal Morse despite its more overt message.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2075 on: April 19, 2018, 12:09:57 PM »
Some Neal, though:  Supernatural.

I find "Wonderous Stories" to be rather spiritual as well (actually, all of Going For The One, really). 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2076 on: April 19, 2018, 01:20:29 PM »
I always got the same impression about Jon in general.

But has anyone seen any insight into what he’s really like? I ask because there’s not a lot of info out there about “the man”...only “the lead singer of Yes”. And I do recal hearing at least one report that he’s actually a bit stuck up and full of himself, which runs completely opposite of the “spiritual man” persona that he puts out front.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2077 on: April 19, 2018, 01:48:09 PM »

But has anyone seen any insight into what he’s really like? I ask because there’s not a lot of info out there about “the man”...only “the lead singer of Yes”. And I do recal hearing at least one report that he’s actually a bit stuck up and full of himself, which runs completely opposite of the “spiritual man” persona that he puts out front.

I've heard rumors that he's actually a dick.   There's a tape floating around of him and Wakeman recording the swirling, rising jeyboard parts to "Awaken" and if memory serves, he's sort of busting Wakeman's chops making him play parts over and over and over with little discernible difference.  There's a guy from the old MP.com site that might know. I'll ask him.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2078 on: April 19, 2018, 01:58:22 PM »
Now that Chris Squire is gone ( R.I.P.)  I wish they would bring in Geddy Lee to make an album and tour with them. Since Rush has pretty much called it quits, Geddy would be a nice fit being that he's a huge fan of Yes..

I thought I was the only one who wanted Geddy to tour and record with ARW, but it seems many people here share that opinion. Since I saw the Hall of Fame video of them playing together I knew he's the perfect fit for them, it sounded amazing.
He might not want to play a full set of Yes music (or maybe he does), but if they finally manage to get an album out with original songs, I can definitely see Geddy getting involved.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2079 on: April 19, 2018, 02:08:11 PM »
This blog has a lot of insight into the inner workings of Yes.

https://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2080 on: April 19, 2018, 07:46:20 PM »

My wife and I met Jon Anderson after one of his solo shows at the Beneroya Hall. He was very nice to us and gave us the time of day. He seemed just as happy to meet us as we were him, and his spiritual persona seemed to be very genuine. I've met Alan White twice, he was nice but Jon Anderson was more approachable..

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2081 on: April 20, 2018, 06:47:28 PM »
Some Neal, though:  Supernatural.

I find "Wonderous Stories" to be rather spiritual as well (actually, all of Going For The One, really).

That's not quite my "Grace Under Pressure" album, but it's lower tier for me.   Open Your Eyes is probably my least favorite followed by Tormato.  Gave up on their studio albums after Magnification (which I like quite a bit actually)

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2082 on: April 25, 2018, 01:45:05 PM »
I just saw what MP posted on FB about the stupid rumor that he might be joining Rush (pfff). In the end he said this:

"I don't like when I see bands that are just a memory of what they used to be, and there's a few out there that I've seen recently that are still touring... I'm not gonna name them, but some of the members can barely play their parts, and then they have a lot of other members that weren't even originally in the band. So I don't know. I would rather see a band like Rush go out on top and have all the good memories of what they're capable of."

Do you guys think he's talking about YES? Especially the "not an original member" discussion has been very vivid in the last few year when it comes to Yes.

Here's the source: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/mike_portnoy_to_join_rush_drummer_addresses_the_rumors.html?platform=hootsuite

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2083 on: April 25, 2018, 02:06:33 PM »
I'm sure Yes was one of the bands he had in mind when he said that.  Much has been said about the lack of original members in Yes, but I think Yes is an exception to many rules regarding that.  They established a pattern very early in the life of the band of replacing members.  Members leave and come back, some leave and don't come back, and some have been with Yes since they joined, but they weren't original members.

Yes has no original members left.  Chris Squire was the last.  But Alan White has been with them since 1973.  Steve Howe first joined in 1971, and though he wasn't around during "the Rabin years", he's been back since 1996 and is (to many) as good as an original member.  Geoff Downes first joined in 1980.

I do think that the current lineup is weak and doesn't compare very well to the classic lineup of the 70's, but the classic 70's lineup wasn't the original band, either.  Fragile came out in 1971 and they'd already had two lineup changes.  By time Tales from Topographic Oceans came out in 1973, they were already down to two original members.

With some bands, "original members" isn't the best indicator of quality.  I prefer to consider the "classic" lineup.

And just to be pedantic, the classic Rush lineup wasn't the original band, either.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2084 on: April 25, 2018, 04:11:28 PM »
Serious question for Yes fans.... is it hard to be a Yes fan with all the line-up changes? What I mean is, I know at the end of the day it's all about the music. But is it harder to identify with the band as a group of individuals if those individuals keep changing, than it is with a band like Metallica who have had 2 member changes since their first album over 30 years ago?

Well...I became a casual Yes fan sometime after 90125 was released.  By the time Big Generator was released four years later, I had become a huge fan, but mostly of the pre-90125 material.  I liked the two singles off Big Generator, but I don't think I ever actually bought it.

With that in mind, the band I fell in love with had already been through two vocalists, two drummers, three guitarists and four keyboard players (with the then current vocalist and keyboardist being in their second stints with the band).  I had no real knowledge of King Crimson at that time, so Bill Bruford was just the guy who played on the first handful of Yes albums; Peter Banks was largely an irrelevancy to me; I only knew of Rick Wakeman from his work on Fragile through Tormato (and the Six Wives album); and Trevor Horn, Geoff Downes and Patrick Moraz were odd anomalies (although I loved and still love Relayer and Drama).

I was really into Union until I stopped fooling myself.  I bought Talk when it came out but have only given it maybe half a dozen spins in 25 years.

After that, Yes became mostly a nostalgia band for me, and their new material has held relatively little interest, so the post-Talk lineup changes have been largely irrelevant, except for Jon Anderson leaving and Chris Squire dying.  I saw Yes (Squire, Howe, White, Downes and Davison) in 2013 and was less than impressed, even though I think Davison does a very good job with the old material.  After Chris died, I have had no real interest in Yes.  I thought about going to see ARW, but they're playing on a Wednesday night at the Greek Theatre, which would be a nightmare for me.

In the YesYears video, Rick Wakeman spoke about Yes still existing 50 years in the future in the same way the London Philharmonic continues to exist regardless of membership changes.  If that's going to happen, they need to start bringing in some more new players who aren't well into their social security years and are interested in creating exciting new music of the sort that the band created in the 70s and early 80s.

As far as Geddy playing with Yes, I don't want to see that.  I could MAYBE live with Geddy and Alex touring with a drummer and doing Rush material.  Given how things ended with Rush, I don't think it would be any sort of slight to Neil if they did that.  But they're not going to do that.  And Geddy with Yes (other than for a one-off kind of thing) would just be weird.  Are they going to do Tom Sawyer and Roundabout as encores?  Geddy is way too accomplished to be a fill-in player.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2085 on: April 25, 2018, 04:36:33 PM »
Talk is SOOOOO good. I’ve been spinning it all this week. I love 90125, but Talk is my favorite “Yeswest” album.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2086 on: April 25, 2018, 05:03:18 PM »
"I don't like when I see bands that are just a memory of what they used to be, and there's a few out there that I've seen recently that are still touring... I'm not gonna name them, but some of the members can barely play their parts, and then they have a lot of other members that weren't even originally in the band. So I don't know. I would rather see a band like Rush go out on top and have all the good memories of what they're capable of."

#BringBackChrisCollins
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2087 on: April 25, 2018, 05:18:30 PM »

With some bands, "original members" isn't the best indicator of quality.  I prefer to consider the "classic" lineup.

And just to be pedantic, the classic Rush lineup wasn't the original band, either.

Agreed. The whole "original member" thing is very overstated.  That said, I agree with Portnoy's point, and it seems like far too many older bands now tour with very few or even no members of their classic lineup(s). I think I read that the current incarnation of Little River Band features zero members from their prime.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2088 on: April 25, 2018, 05:23:09 PM »
The Little River Band had a prime?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2089 on: April 25, 2018, 05:28:18 PM »
Don't be dogging Little River Band now. They have quite a few damn good songs.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2090 on: April 25, 2018, 06:05:48 PM »
And yacht rock is now a subject of two threads.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2091 on: April 25, 2018, 06:29:59 PM »
Talk is SOOOOO good. I’ve been spinning it all this week. I love 90125, but Talk is my favorite “Yeswest” album.
Absolutely this!!!  Talk is fantastic and the song Endless Dream might just be my favorite song ever written by any band ever..  They played that at the Gorge in 1994 during a almost otherworldly sunset, and to this day it is one of the most awesome things I have ever witnessed..

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2092 on: April 27, 2018, 07:22:33 PM »

What the hell is yacht rock?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2093 on: April 27, 2018, 07:28:30 PM »

I really should have seen them at least once on that tour, but I had just seen Rush three times and couldn't justify it and the second time around Dream Theater was touring for Awake in 1994.

Everything I've seen online from the Talk Tour was off the charts good.  It's a shame that ended the way it did.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2094 on: April 29, 2018, 08:50:09 AM »

What the hell is yacht rock?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacht_rock

Most people throw the term out like it is an insult to be considered part of that style, but not everything has to ROCK to be good.

Everything I've seen online from the Talk Tour was off the charts good.  It's a shame that ended the way it did.

For sure.  I remember hearing The Calling on the radio prior to the album's release and couldn't believe how good it was. And the rest of the album did not disappoint.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2095 on: May 01, 2018, 08:22:43 AM »
https://yesworld.com/2018/05/yes-steven-wilson-remixes-vinyl-box-set/

Yes, Yes, Yesssssss
I've been waiting for a proper remaster of my favorite album of all time on vinyl, and now it's being released along with 4 other masterpieces in a box set, remastered by freakin Steven Wilson!

Oh, my favorite album is Relayer (though I can never decide between Relayer and Selling England By The Pound...)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2096 on: May 01, 2018, 09:57:42 AM »
I just saw that this morning.  I think it's awesome for vinyl collectors.

People are complaining about the new artwork.  Sigh.  Losers.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2097 on: May 02, 2018, 08:37:46 AM »
I just saw that this morning.  I think it's awesome for vinyl collectors.

People are complaining about the new artwork.  Sigh.  Losers.

People are complaining about everything.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2098 on: May 02, 2018, 09:56:35 AM »
Yeah.

But there's no use complaining about it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2099 on: May 02, 2018, 11:59:23 AM »
Can we please stop complaining about the complaining?

:) :)