Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 264827 times)

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #1540 on: August 10, 2014, 03:28:10 PM »
Pretty much every song on Close to the Edge ranks up there with the best songs ever written. Part of the reason the album is basically perfect. I remember even being substantially underwhelmed by it as a whole and thought of it as a disappointment after having heard Fragile. It's a clicker, but fuck does it click hard.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1541 on: August 10, 2014, 06:03:52 PM »
It's also extremely addictive. Once it finally clicked I had a hard time listening to anything else for awhile.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1542 on: August 10, 2014, 07:29:14 PM »
Pretty much every song on Close to the Edge ranks up there with the best songs ever written. Part of the reason the album is basically perfect. I remember even being substantially underwhelmed by it as a whole and thought of it as a disappointment after having heard Fragile. It's a clicker, but fuck does it click hard.

Top 5 album for me of all time.  Steven Wilson's 5.1 Blu Ray mix will blow you away as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1543 on: August 10, 2014, 07:39:13 PM »

Top 5 album for me of all time.  Steven Wilson's 5.1 Blu Ray mix will blow you away as well.

It's my favorite album ever so :biggrin: :hifive:

I've not gotten my hands on that yet but Steven Wilson always does an amazing job with these. I've no doubt it's ear-gasmic.

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #1544 on: August 10, 2014, 07:47:18 PM »
However, of the 3 "Yes-West" albums, my favorite (and most proggy) is Talk.   Completely under-rated album, and a very nice blend of 90125's pop stylings, and the classic 70's albums attitude of "...let's let this one breathe a bit..."

Seconded. Talk is a great listen, and I believe it needs more praise. I almost wish that they had continued on the style and done another. But you know...Yes lineups and everything.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline 425

« Reply #1545 on: August 12, 2014, 09:17:04 AM »
Beyond the singles, I think it actually carries with it some "neo prog elements".    It's certainly an 80's synth album, but even when I look back at it now, I sometimes forget that there is really incredible musicmanship on that album.

However, of the 3 "Yes-West" albums, my favorite (and most proggy) is Talk.   Completely under-rated album, and a very nice blend of 90125's pop stylings, and the classic 70's albums attitude of "...let's let this one breathe a bit..."

Seconded. Talk is a great listen, and I believe it needs more praise. I almost wish that they had continued on the style and done another. But you know...Yes lineups and everything.

Alright, cool!  :tup I'll definitely take a look at those albums then, after I get all the classic ones.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1546 on: August 12, 2014, 03:51:50 PM »
I agree with JB and FP. I like Big Generator but it's not at the level of the other 2 mentioned.  Though Final Eyes is my favorite Rabin led Yes song.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1547 on: August 13, 2014, 10:25:59 AM »
Big Generator is a very underrated record.

Both of the hits are enjoyable pop rock tunes.

Final Eyes, Shoot High Aim Low and I'm Running are all excellent deep cuts.

Holy Lamb is another sweet laid back Yes tune, ala Turn of the Century, Nine Voices, etc.

The title track and Aways Like Love are the only two average tunes, but neither are bad; just not anything special.

So yeah, I like this record quite a bit.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1548 on: August 13, 2014, 11:13:20 AM »
I think part of the problem with Big Generator is that it took seven years or something like that.  90125 was huge, with "Owner of a Lonely Heart" and the amazing return of Yes, and people were waiting to see what the follow-up would be.  They kept waiting, and waiting, then when it finally arrived, it seemed like literally just more of the same.  That's how it was for me anyway, and I know others who feel the same way.

However... your points are all correct.  Big Generator, despite having a similar "sound" to 90125, actually takes things a bit further, quite a bit further sometimes, just not in the direction people were expecting.  Old-school Yesfans dissed 90125 for being Pop.  Damned good Pop, but still Pop.  Big Generator is actually proggier and takes a few chances.

The biggest problem, therefore, is that it falls into a very narrow niche.  It still wasn't proggy enough for old-school Yesfans, and after seven years, the "new" Yesfans who came on board with 90125 had given up already.  It is only now with the benefit of perspective that we can appreciate the album properly.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1549 on: August 13, 2014, 11:18:59 AM »
It was only four years - 90125 came out in '83, while BG came out in '87 - but I agree with much of what you said.  However, being one of those "new" Yes fans, who only knew the 90125 hits prior to Big Generator, I was excited when MTV started playing a new video by them in 1987.  And I actually bought Big Generator on cassette as a result!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 11:24:59 AM by KevShmev »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1550 on: August 13, 2014, 11:38:05 AM »
Wow, those four years seemed like longer at the time.  Of course, back then an album per year was still pretty common.  Nowadays, it's more like every two years, but albums are twice as long now, too.

I still figure you're a pretty small minority, though.  One with an appreciation for prog, or at least something more adventurous than basic pop dreck, who was introduced to Yes through their biggest pop hit and therefore found the follow-up more satisfying.  Most people were just confused, or didn't care.

All this talk about Big Generator is making me want to hear it again.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1551 on: August 14, 2014, 12:20:55 AM »
I really like the three Rabin Yes albums (90125, Big Generator, Talk) and I think they are up there with the classics. And I would have liked another one, because with every album they got better, at least imho.

I think the big problem is, that they are called Yes albums when they are in fact so different from everything Yes has done before. I firmly believe that if these albums were released under another band name, they would get the recognition they deserve.

And I will never understand why the music is called pop. For a large part the songs are more rock-orientated than most of previous Yes, largely due to Rabin's guitar work. And they are at least on the same prog-level as, let's say Marillion or 80s Pink Floyd.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1552 on: August 14, 2014, 10:23:01 AM »
I guess I just call it Pop to distiguish it from "real" Prog.  It's all Rock and Roll, and yeah, it's at least as proggy as Marillion or 80's Floyd.

And I agree that calling the band Yes has led to all kinds of issues.  Some say that because it's says "Yes" on the cover, it's a Yes album, end of argument.  Some say that it's so different from any other Yes that that's just a technicality forced on the band by the suits.  Some say that the band changed almost every other album anyway, and this isn't really that different in the grand scheme.  But at the time, with only 70's Yes to compare it to, this was very different and pretty much all sides of the argument had at least some validity.

So I listend to Big Generator again, "Side One" on my way home yesterday, "Side Two" on the way in to work today.  It is indeed better than I remembered.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1553 on: August 14, 2014, 03:47:56 PM »
I think they were in the studio for 2 years trying to have all 5 members happy about BG so when you read about it all the time it seem much longer really.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1554 on: August 25, 2014, 08:41:46 AM »
From Steven Wilson's FB:

Relayer is confirmed as the third release in the series of SW remixed Yes (official) albums to be issued in 5.1 & new stereo high-resolution audio configuration. Relayer was the band’s 7th studio album, released in 1974, and contains just 3 long pieces, including the ambitious 22 minute Gates of Delirium.
Mixed by Steven Wilson & released with the full approval of the band, Relayer will be available in CD/DVD-A digipack & CD/Blu-Ray mini LP gatefold editions. These are available to pre-order now from https://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/headphonedust/, release date 3rd November.
Both editions will also contain the original album mix in high-resolution & bonus audio material, full details of which will be announced shortly.
Restored artwork approved by Roger Dean & new sleevenotes by Sid Smith complete the package,the release of which coincides with the 40th anniversary of the album's original late 1974 appearance.

---

Gates of Delirium in surround sound is gonna be bananas. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1555 on: August 25, 2014, 11:15:00 AM »
Excellent!  The same treatment as the first two, of course.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #1556 on: October 13, 2014, 02:08:11 PM »
Heaven and earth is the first yes album I've listened to (yes is my dad's style of prog more than mine) and, I have to say, I hated it... I'm sorry, but it was simply shockingly bad...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1557 on: October 13, 2014, 02:16:25 PM »
Heaven and earth is the first yes album I've listened to (yes is my dad's style of prog more than mine) and, I have to say, I hated it... I'm sorry, but it was simply shockingly bad...

Wow, I'm sorry that H&E was your first Yes album. You should definitely check out their 70's output and hopefully Yes will be redeemed in your eyes and ears. Check out Fragile, Close To The Edge, Relayer and/or Going For The One. Any of those are good starting points for what make up the core 70's Prog Yes output. After that, any of their first three albums, and the rest of their 70's material is good to check out.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1558 on: October 13, 2014, 02:21:07 PM »

Starting with their latest was probably not the most enlightened decision.

If you have good taste, you'll at least like Close to the Edge. :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1559 on: October 13, 2014, 03:22:06 PM »

Gotta echo what others are saying.  This is absolutely, unquestionably not the album to listen to if you want an introduction to Yes.  The fire has all but gone out at this point, and believe me, this is not your dad's style of prog.  The latest album is barely prog at all.

If someone recommended this as a starting point, go back and slap them in the face, hard.  Then check out The Yes Album, Close to the Edge, or Drama.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1560 on: October 13, 2014, 04:33:10 PM »

Wow, I'm sorry that H&E was your first Yes album. You should definitely check out their 70's output and hopefully Yes will be redeemed in your eyes and ears. Check out Fragile, Close To The Edge, Relayer and/or Going For The One. Any of those are good starting points for what make up the core 70's Prog Yes output. After that, any of their first three albums, and the rest of their 70's material is good to check out.

-Marc.

This. Fragile, CttE, Relayer and GftO are progressive masterworks. All four albums are a massive far-cry from H&E.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

« Reply #1561 on: October 14, 2014, 12:34:57 AM »

-Marc.
Yeah, I was told to listen to some other stuff. I liked endless dream, but I'm yet to find another song I truly love  :-\

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1562 on: October 14, 2014, 07:06:51 AM »
"Endless Dream" from Talk?  Is there some reason you're avoiding the 70's material that put Yes on the map, practically defined the genre, and which everyone is recommending?

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1563 on: October 14, 2014, 09:08:52 AM »
"Endless Dream" from Talk?  Is there some reason you're avoiding the 70's material that put Yes on the map, practically defined the genre, and which everyone is recommending?

I'd be inclined to think that he doesn't want to like Yes, based on his posts and how Yes "was more his dad's style of prog." But that's just speculation on my part.

And hey, if he doesn't want to like Yes, he doesn't have to. I'd just continue to recommend he check out those particular 70's albums before he writes them off for good.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

« Reply #1564 on: October 14, 2014, 11:54:28 AM »

I'd be inclined to think that he doesn't want to like Yes, based on his posts and how Yes "was more his dad's style of prog." But that's just speculation on my part.

And hey, if he doesn't want to like Yes, he doesn't have to. I'd just continue to recommend he check out those particular 70's albums before he writes them off for good.
I haven't listened to 70s yes because I haven't had time yet (exams) I listened to Talk because I asked my dad "Is there some heavier prog metal sounding yes songs, and he said yes, endless dream. Which yes albums from the 70s are recommended and I will give them a listen when I actually have longer than 5 minutes free at a time   :sad:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1565 on: October 14, 2014, 12:04:48 PM »
Endless Dream is awesome!  Yes, a lot of the 70s stuff is more influential and definitive, but Endless Dream is still a beast of a tune.

I'm with Orbert, Mister Gold and Marc (mostly) on their recommendations.  The Yes Album is far better than Going for the One, so throw that in with Fragile, Close to the Edge and Relayer, and you are good to go.  Tales might be a bit much for a new listener.  I'd save that one for a while.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1566 on: October 14, 2014, 12:52:27 PM »
If you're looking for something heavy, check out Drama, which has some of their heavier sounding music, especially the opening track, "Machine Messiah".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1567 on: October 14, 2014, 01:28:45 PM »
Yes was never prog metal, but Drama is generally recognized as the heaviest Yes.

« Reply #1568 on: October 14, 2014, 02:59:38 PM »
Yes was never prog metal, but Drama is generally recognized as the heaviest Yes.
I shall have a look for that album amongst my dads collection, and give that a blast!

Offline DerekTheater

« Reply #1569 on: October 14, 2014, 03:39:57 PM »

Wow. That's kind of like Systematic Chaos or St Anger being your first DT and Metallica records.

Never start with a new album by an old band!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1570 on: October 14, 2014, 03:48:46 PM »
I shall have a look for that album amongst my dads collection, and give that a blast!

You'll probably like Drama, I think. Machine Messiah is particularly amazing (in fact, I'm listening to it right now :biggrin: ). If you enjoy it, I'd suggest Fragile after that and then eventually move your way onto Close to the Edge and Relayer.

Fragile is pretty heavy too and is a little bit more song-oriented than CttE or Relayer. Yes was arguably the Dream Theater of the 1970's and that's especially apparent on Close to the Edge and Relayer, IMO.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline DerekTheater

« Reply #1571 on: October 14, 2014, 06:20:10 PM »
Everything they did up to 90125 is worth hearing, and any of that is better than Heaven & Earth or Talk.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1572 on: October 15, 2014, 08:04:14 AM »
Everything they did up to 90125 is worth hearing, and any of that is better than Heaven & Earth or Talk.

FTFY

Talk is the best of the Rabin albums....amazing album.

That being said, if you're going to listen to Yes, start with The Yes Album, Close to the Edge or Going for the One.  Amazing albums all.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1573 on: October 15, 2014, 07:46:25 PM »
Talk is awesome. Not really what you'd expect from Yes (even with Rabin in the band), but a very nice gem of an album. Heaven and Earth is down their with their worst.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline 425

« Reply #1574 on: October 15, 2014, 09:45:23 PM »

Just popping into say that this was pretty much my prejudice towards Yes, however much I tried to avoid letting it cloud my perceptions. Heck, I only got around to listening to Close to the Edge in the first place because my dad gave it to me for my birthday. But (I apologize in advance for the pun) Yes doesn't really seem to take no for an answer to the question "is CttE spectacular?" One of the finest albums I've ever heard.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time