Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 265031 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #1435 on: November 28, 2013, 08:42:26 AM »
I might have to check that out!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1436 on: November 30, 2013, 04:44:56 PM »
I've already got 4 different CD copies of Close To The Edge (and it may not even be a top 5 Yes album for me) but I imagine I'll get this later rather than sooner. I'd like to see how it compares to the Audio Fidelity release that came out over the summer.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #1437 on: December 01, 2013, 12:59:29 PM »
speaking of close to the edge, im looking for a short film of some dude that's into said yes classic that lends it to, I don't know, his little sister or her friend that are all about teen pop crap. but surprisingly, the girl likes what she hears, and before he knows it, ALL the young girls in town be spinning the fuck outta CTTE. at which point, the album's no longer underground and cool to him, he doesn't even want his copy back, and he starts a musical journey in search of his next unpopular music of choice.

anyone know what im talkin bout and where I can find it?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1438 on: December 01, 2013, 03:36:18 PM »
I've seen that vid; I thought it was great.  Someone at Yesfans.com linked to it.  At the end, he puts on "Birds of Fire" by Mahavishnu Orchestra.

I tried to find it later, but couldn't.  I couldn't remember the name of the vid, and searching for "Close to the Edge" didn't exactly narrow things down.  I'm sure it's on YouTube somewhere, but damned if I could find it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1439 on: December 01, 2013, 03:48:01 PM »
If anyone does find it.  Please post a link.  I've never seen it or heard of it, but it sounds hilarious.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1440 on: January 15, 2014, 05:21:13 PM »
Ladies and Gentlemen, Yes are back in the studio, working on a new album!

Left to right: Steve Howe (guitars), Alan White (drums), Jon Davison (vocals, acoustic guitar), Chris Squire (bass), Geoff Downes (keyboards)

Confirmed by numerous sources, including their official Facebook page.  Not confirmed yet on their official website, because it's run by a group of mentally-challenged monkeys, but there's no question that this is real.

Roy Thomas Baker (loud shoes) is producing.

The current lineup features "new" singer Jon Davison (lead singer from Glass Hammer) who has been working with Yes since February 2012 and fronted the band on their recent "Three Album Tour".  I've seen many videos of this lineup, and he sounds fantastic.  He's easily the best singer they've ever had other than Jon Anderson, and quite honestly, he sounds better and more like 70's Jon Anderson than Jon Anderson does now.  Also, Jon Anderson had a habit of playing acoustic guitar on some songs, which should have added to them, but Anderson isn't very good and no one would stand up to him.  Davison is actually really good.  This is the best possible lineup for Yes right now, and people didn't think they'd actually make an album, but it looks like it's happening.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm a bit psyched up about this.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #1441 on: January 15, 2014, 05:35:58 PM »
With Jon Davison in and Benoit David out, I'm somewhat excited about this. I'm not a Glass Hammer fan, but I'm looking forward to hearing what he brings to the band as he was great when I saw them live. I'm not expecting the album to be a masterpiece, but I'm hoping for something better than Fly From Here (which I liked at first, but have no desire to ever listen to). With an additional songwriter in the band, I'm pretty confident they're capable of writing a solid album.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1442 on: January 15, 2014, 07:16:41 PM »
Maybe it's just because it was the first Yes album I heard, and I didn't have any context to fall back on, or maybe it's just my tastes, but I really enjoyed Fly From Here. It wasn't really prog, but it was good, catchy, well-written music.

Not to say people necessarily disliked it because it wasn't prog, I just really liked it.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #1443 on: January 15, 2014, 07:26:49 PM »
I think my biggest problem with FFH was that the epic felt a bit disjointed. For example, there's a section, I think it's Bumpy Ride, that just sounded so out of place and corny. Into the Storm was a great song though -- one of their best in a while.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1444 on: January 15, 2014, 07:27:41 PM »
I loved Bumpy Ride. :lol  Though I agree it was somewhat out of place.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1445 on: January 15, 2014, 09:21:11 PM »
It's funny, Davison has been so busy with this that the new Glass Hammer album is actually going to feature him in addition to a bunch of their old lead singers.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1446 on: January 15, 2014, 10:39:49 PM »
Fly From Here isn't bad, but the epic is too obviously pieced together from other bits, and the other songs, while good, seem to be playing it very safe.  It's not mediocre just because it's not prog; it's mediocre because it really doesn't do anything outstanding.

Bumpy Ride sounds like they literally said "Okay, now we'll have a section that's instrumental and really nuts, then go back to the main theme" and then they did exactly that.  It's cool, but comes out of nowhere.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1447 on: January 16, 2014, 12:52:30 AM »
Great, bring on a new Yes album! And I really liked Fly From Here.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1448 on: January 16, 2014, 02:33:46 AM »
Great, bring on a new Yes album! And I really liked Fly From Here.
This.

And yeah, those sneakers.  :o

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1449 on: January 16, 2014, 08:01:29 PM »
Ladies and Gentlemen, Yes are back in the studio, working on a new album!

In case you couldn't tell, I'm a bit psyched up about this.

I'll be excited for you since I'm not really sure I'm excited for myself.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1450 on: January 16, 2014, 09:55:56 PM »
I'm pretty psyched about this too, Orbert. I'll join the club!  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1451 on: January 19, 2014, 06:16:35 PM »
Rehearsals are done.  Now, into the studio!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1452 on: January 20, 2014, 01:49:21 AM »
Yes!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #1453 on: January 20, 2014, 02:42:55 PM »
speaking of close to the edge, im looking for a short film of some dude that's into said yes classic that lends it to, I don't know, his little sister or her friend that are all about teen pop crap. but surprisingly, the girl likes what she hears, and before he knows it, ALL the young girls in town be spinning the fuck outta CTTE. at which point, the album's no longer underground and cool to him, he doesn't even want his copy back, and he starts a musical journey in search of his next unpopular music of choice.

anyone know what im talkin bout and where I can find it?

If anyone does find it.  Please post a link.  I've never seen it or heard of it, but it sounds hilarious.

look, i can understand ignoring me, but you dont leave a guy like jammindude hanging when theres something hes interested in.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1454 on: January 20, 2014, 02:57:34 PM »
I don't think anybody knows where it is. Nobody is ignoring you.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1455 on: January 20, 2014, 03:04:54 PM »
in fairness, I was.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1456 on: January 20, 2014, 03:29:35 PM »
Yes!

Correct answer!  You now proceed to the bonus round...

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1457 on: January 20, 2014, 05:39:28 PM »

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #1458 on: January 22, 2014, 10:00:35 AM »
I'm cautiously optimistic about this album. I actually haven't heard Davison sing, but people seem to think he is good.

Fly From Here was a solid effort, but it was I feel "safe Yes", like others have said. In that sense, it may be positively unique because of the differences between every Yes album. (I suppose that one could argue that The Ladder is similar) That being said, I hope we don't get Fly From Here pt. 2. I enjoyed Fly From Here, but I don't want to hear it again. So what can Yes do to make something completely new and add to their catalog? I'm not sure that I know. Hopefully, the playing of the Three Album Tour will have sunk in somewhat and give inspiration. So it will certainly be interesting to see what they bring musically.

My biggest concern for the album will be from the sonic aspect. One reason why I enjoyed Fly From Here is because it sounds good. In fact, Yes' last couple albums have been above average sonically, which pleases me greatly. I just hope they can continue the trend.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1459 on: January 22, 2014, 10:23:52 AM »
With Roy Thomas Baker producing, most people expect the new album to sound great.  He was, after all, the man behind the 70's Queen albums (which IMO includes several sonic masterpieces) and many other classic and/or prog albums since then.

Your point about this coming on the heels of the Three Album Tour is good.  Many are expecting that this little chance for Yes to revisit what they did and what they were like in their classic period (even if only two or three of them were in the band at the time) will inspire new music with a similar "attitude", for lack of a better word.

And finally, Jon Davison is a songwriter.  He brings a new influence to the table, which hopefully will stimulate new ideas.  Howe and Downes are both good writers, but I think it's possible that when they work together, they get into something of an "Asia mindset" and tend to play it safe.  Asia sometimes makes some good, interesting music, but very little of it is really prog.  Fly From Here was not a bad album, but I think a lot of people were disappointed because it wasn't very prog.  Not that prog = good, but because prog is what they were expecting from Yes, and instead they got something somewhere between Asia, Buggles, and DramaYes.  Anyway, Steve officially left Asia last year to focus on Yes and his solo/trio work, so hopefully he and/or Geoff, in collaboration with New Jon, produce some more adventurous results.

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #1460 on: January 22, 2014, 12:33:41 PM »
I think that Steve made a good decision to focus on Yes/other stuff. As an original line-up Asia fan, I thought that their last two albums were rather lackluster and it was probably time to move on.

Yeah, Fly From Here was not really a prog album, especially where Yes is concerned. Even the long title track wasn't as progressive as one might expect. Of course we all know that Yes hasn't always been prog focused, but we expect different things from different lineups and times.

This may be a big generalization, since the only Yes discussion I read is on here, but I think that Yes fans would rather see them try something new and radical (with some exceptions of course) than to do a "Yes-by-the-numbers". We know that the latter will be decent, but the former has potential for greatness.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1461 on: January 22, 2014, 01:26:34 PM »
Yeah, I really hope they take some chances this time.  Yes used to be all about pushing the envelope, going beyond the boundaries, but we haven't seen a lot of that lately.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1462 on: January 30, 2014, 06:23:23 PM »
As long as it sounds inspired, I don't really much care what they end up with although I'm sure others may want it to turn out a certain way.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1463 on: February 28, 2014, 03:14:45 PM »
SW remix of The Yes Album is up for preorder on burning shed

April 14 is the release date
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1464 on: March 02, 2014, 12:30:05 PM »
SW remix of The Yes Album is up for preorder on burning shed

April 14 is the release date

Guess I better start saving now.....

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1465 on: March 24, 2014, 02:04:20 PM »
So according to their new Facebook post, the new album's called Heaven And Earth. I could barely make out the cover art because it's so tiny, but it appeared to be a planet Earth that looked like it had chunks ripped out in typical Roger Dean fashion, against a black background.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1466 on: March 24, 2014, 02:23:25 PM »
Nel, thanks for the info.  If you're talking about the album cover on the new poster for the "Yes US 2014 Summer Tour" on Facebook, there are covers shown for Fragile, Close to the Edge, and Wonderous Stories - The Best of Yes.  It is as you've described, something like a cross between Open Your Eyes (the coloring and logo) and Fragile (the fragmenting planet).

As far as I know, they haven't officially released any cover art yet, but this is the first I've heard of the title.

Go here and click on the poster. It gets bigger.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 02:28:51 PM by Orbert »

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1467 on: March 24, 2014, 02:31:06 PM »
Yep, I'm an idiot. That's a new Greatist Hits album cover.  :facepalm: I still think it looks cool though.

Also, July 8 release date for new album. Three days before my 25th birthday! Woot!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1468 on: March 24, 2014, 03:04:33 PM »
People are already griping about the new tour, saying Fragile is a poor choice.  I somewhat agree.  A lot of Fragile is the individual pieces, and most of the band that made that album aren't in the current lineup.  Geoff Downes is cool, but "Cans and Brahms" is a Wakeman piece; it makes no sense for Geoff to play.  "Five Per Cent for Nothing" is a 32-second Bruford composition, why would Alan White even want to play it?  And how are they going to do "We Have Heaven"?  The band songs are fine; they've been doing most of them for years with every lineup.

But wow, those two classics, the new album in its entirely and "Greatest Hits"?  That sounds like a hell of a show.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1469 on: March 24, 2014, 06:06:12 PM »
I've been on such a Yes kick today. Fly From Here is an amazing album.

Im really stoked for this tour. I hope I can see them when they come to Philly!