Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 264977 times)

Offline jsem

Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #1190 on: December 09, 2011, 03:28:35 PM »
Just came back from seeing Yes. It was a great show, but Benoit David was a tad too low a few times - don't know why, but other than that it was great.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1191 on: December 09, 2011, 07:31:14 PM »
Just came back from seeing Yes. It was a great show, but Benoit David was a tad too low a few times - don't know why, but other than that it was great.

After watching a more than a few clips on Youtube, I think I could give a pretty good guess as to why...  :biggrin:

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #1192 on: December 09, 2011, 11:30:16 PM »
Sometimes Benoit David might have trouble with Yes material, but those songs are so hard to sing. When he's more in his element, like with the band Mystery, he's actually a really good singer. One Among the Living is a nice album that demonstrates his abilities well.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1193 on: January 12, 2012, 12:02:13 AM »
Damn.

I love Yes, but I kind of have to be in the mood to enjoy them fully. But when I am, and I listen to Close to the Edge...

Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline adace

« Reply #1194 on: February 06, 2012, 10:05:26 AM »
Well, looks like they got another new singer. From FB:

"Prog rock band YES were forced to cancel the last 3 shows of their European Tour in December due to the illness of lead vocalist Benoit David who has still not recovered. To avoid disappointing their fans on the forthcoming Australasian leg of their world tour, they have found a replacement singer.

Jon Davison will join YES as lead vocalist for the upcoming dates in New Zealand, Australia, Japan, Indonesia, and Hawaii. YES really appreciate Jon Davison joining them for this leg of the tour and are sure this arrangement will satisfy all YES fans."

Also, in case you were wondering, Jon Davison was in a Yes tribute band and sang lead vocals on the last two Glass Hammer albums. Here's a sample (vocals start at 1:07):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX2tpEK-nbg&feature=related

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1195 on: February 06, 2012, 10:38:11 AM »
I can imagine the "joke" fake posts now. "Yes gets Jon to fill in for the ailing Benoit"

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #1196 on: February 06, 2012, 03:15:56 PM »
Weird...

Benoit David seems kind of illness prone. I really hope he didn't blow out his vocal cords from singing out of his range too much.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1197 on: February 06, 2012, 04:21:07 PM »
While I wasn't really a fan of the last two GH albums, I can say Davison is a damn good singer, and sounds a lot closer to Anderson than David. Though I still like David anyway and wish him a speedy recovery.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1198 on: February 06, 2012, 06:12:23 PM »
Benoit wasn't very good. Neither was the band in its current state. I don't think them changing their lineup will lead me to seeing them live again, unless they get both Rick and Jon back (will never happen) or play all of Tales live (also will never happen).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1199 on: February 06, 2012, 10:20:51 PM »
Frankly, my interest in the bad at this point is very minimal.  And it is embarrassing to run through different lead singers like this now.  They must need the money, but it still sucks to see Yes limping to the finish line this way. :(

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #1200 on: February 07, 2012, 03:13:05 AM »
I get the feeling that YES never really needs a finish line. To me, and correct me if I'm wrong, YES seems like one of a few perfect progressive rock acts. They continue to progress their sound no matter where it leads, how many line-up changes they have, or what sound they reach next. Their reach has always been to progress the sound and matter of music as a whole.

Whether it be Benoit or Jon, or even Jon Anderson for that matter, YES always comes across as a continuing, and reoccurring, force in the rock world. I think that might be why I love them so much. they continue to make music they love.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1201 on: February 18, 2012, 09:25:38 AM »
<<Dear YES fans,
As you all know, the final three shows of last year's European tour
were
cancelled due to my ill health. On my return to Canada, I was advised
to
cease touring, for the foreseeable future, in order to avoid further
damage to
my voice. Following this extremely disappointing diagnosis, I had no
alternative but to inform my fellow band members that I was unable to
confirm my availability for, at least, the forthcoming concerts in New
Zealand, Australia and Japan.
Although there was no alternative, I did so with a heavy heart as I
felt that I
was letting everyone down especially those who have supported me since
I
had the privilege of becoming the band's vocalist in 2008. The band
members were all very understanding and asked if I would mind being
replaced for the April shows - I immediately agreed that this would be
the
best way forward and gave them my blessing. I was then pleased to
learn
that Jon Davison would be my replacement as he is an accomplished
musician with a fine voice.
I subsequently learnt, from a band member's interview, that I had
officially
left Yes and that my departure was permanent. As this is the
situation,
everyone should know that I will be eternally grateful for the
opportunity I
was given and very proud to have contributed to more than 200 concerts
and
to the 'Fly From Here' and 'In The Present Live From Lyon' albums. I
would
also like to express my appreciation for the support I was given by
each
member of the band, the fantastic crew, the management and everyone
else
involved during my time as vocalist in the band. Finally, to the fans
who
have applauded my efforts and to those I have had the pleasure of
meeting -
many thanks, my best wishes and please continue with your support of
one
of the world's greatest bands - YES.
Although I need to take it easy for a while, I fully intend to
continue with my
music career. In late summer of 2011, I added vocals to Mystery's
forthcoming album 'The World Is A Game' - which is at the final stages
of
mixing and will be available in the near future. This is my third
collaboration
with Michel St-Pere, and Mystery, following 2007's 'Beneath the Veil
of
Winter's Face' and 2010's 'One Among The Living'.
So I guess I will, hopefully, see you somewhere down the road…

Blessings,
Benoit David
17th February 2012>>

Looks like his definitely out, and Jon (Davison) is completely in - can't say I'm surprised, but it looks like Benoit is just another notch in the belt of the ever-growing past-membership of Yes. It'll be interesting if Davison gets to write/record with Howe/Downes/Squire/White in the next year or so after they finish touring on FFH. It's a shame that they can't even tour the album with the singer they recorded it with.

Honestly, I'd rather see them go into the studio this summer and release an album by the end of the year, but they probably won't make as much money doing that as they could touring...or would they? Guess it depends on how they perform with Davison.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1202 on: February 18, 2012, 09:37:04 AM »
As someone pointed out, there will always be an incarnation of Yes, as there has already been a million of those. So whatever. As long as the next album is as good as Fly from here, I'll be interested.  :smiley:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1203 on: February 18, 2012, 12:27:02 PM »
As someone pointed out, there will always be an incarnation of Yes, as there has already been a million of those. So whatever. As long as the next album is as good as Fly from here, I'll be interested.  :smiley:

Indeed, I thoroughly enjoyed FFH and hope for another album along the same lines, or at least in the same direction. I'd love to hear what Howe/Downes can come up with outside of Asia, and I hope Squire can contribute a lot more on the next album. I also wouldn't mind having Trevor Horn on the next album (in any capacity). Just give us ALL NEW material, and not any more Yes/Buggles throwaways/reworkings (not that there was anything wrong with that!).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1204 on: February 18, 2012, 04:45:47 PM »
That sucks. But at least he confirmed a new Mystery album is on the way, and those guys are freaking awesome.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1205 on: February 18, 2012, 05:58:52 PM »
For half a second when I saw Jon Davison, my mind thought it said Jon Anderson. I wish just once I could have seen them live with Jon Anderson.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #1206 on: February 18, 2012, 06:10:25 PM »
I'll be seeing Yes when they come to Perth!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1207 on: February 20, 2012, 06:42:36 AM »
How amazingly unprofessional is it that the guy learns he's been permanently canned by reading an interview?

Just amazing.

But yeah, the Mystery news is good news.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1208 on: February 21, 2012, 06:28:41 PM »
How amazingly unprofessional is it that the guy learns he's been permanently canned by reading an interview?

Just amazing.

Doesn't surprise me with Yes, sadly. I will no longer pay money to see them in concert. I got a chance to see RW+JA play a show a few months ago with my friend and they blew the current incarnation of Yes out of the water. Yes has really become a mockery of their former self, imo.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1209 on: February 21, 2012, 10:57:29 PM »

Just amazing.

I was thinking the same thing.  With the other three "main" members, its like if you're spending too much time not doing what they want to do at that exact time they won't give a damn and replace you in an instant.  That's basically what happened to Jon and Rick in 2008, and it just happened to David.  "Oh you're sick and can't tour?  Well we can.  BOOM you've been replaced."  At least he's being humble about it.  I'd be trash talking them at every turn if I were him.  :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1210 on: February 22, 2012, 04:13:53 AM »

Just amazing.

I was thinking the same thing.  With the other three "main" members, its like if you're spending too much time not doing what they want to do at that exact time they won't give a damn and replace you in an instant.  That's basically what happened to Jon and Rick in 2008, and it just happened to David.  "Oh you're sick and can't tour?  Well we can.  BOOM you've been replaced."  At least he's being humble about it.  I'd be trash talking them at every turn if I were him.  :lol

Originally when that all went down, I was terribly disappointed since it was right around that time when I discovered Yes. Right at the peak of the my interest, when I really wanted to see them live, they pull that move. So they can keep playing musical chairs with singers and when, if ever, they get back to Jon Anderson, I will see them live.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1211 on: February 22, 2012, 07:23:39 AM »
The situation with Yes is a lot more complicated than most people realize.  The band waited years for Jon Anderson to be "ready" to tour, but he was busy with his solo and side projects.  Then he got sick.  But not so sick that he couldn't go do another solo tour.  Somewhere in there, Jon sold his stake in the band, saying it was done, and Rick Wakeman never bought in, which is why he left and came back pretty much whenever he wanted to (three times, maybe four, depending on how you count them).  Then when he supposedly was "ready" to join them, he really did get sick.  You wait five or six years, you figure maybe it's time to find a replacement, so that's what they did.  And Wakeman didn't want to come back if Anderson wasn't there.

And that's just the very short version.  Howe, Squire, and White own the Yes name, and while that doesn't mean that they can simply call the shots, I think it's important to note that Anderson sold his share back to them and publicly declared that the band was done in an interview.  So was he given the boot, or did he quit?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1212 on: February 22, 2012, 11:38:14 PM »
I'm sort of new to Yes. Can't remember how long I've been listening to them now, maybe less than a year. They're kind of hit and miss to me, I would take Genesis over them by a long shot. I love Drama and Fragile, but those are the only complete albums I enjoy throughout. From everything else I like certain songs but none of the other albums have that appeal to me that Fragile and Drama do. Close to the Edge comes close though. The Yes Album is good, but I can't get into it as much as others do. Fly From Here is OK, I liked the title track, that was it really. Definitely sounds like Drama at times. And Tales From Topographic Oceans is just...  :huh:

But despite all of that, there is something about the band that makes me want to dive deeper into their music, and check out all the albums. So maybe all the stuff I can't get into will grow on me, really everything by this band seems to take forever for me to get into.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1213 on: February 23, 2012, 11:16:06 AM »
Most Yes music is really layered and can take a while to get into.  I guess that's true of a lot of prog, probably most, but with Yes, maybe moreso than others.  Fragile and Drama are two of my favorites, so you have good taste (:)) and since you hear the similarities between Fly From Here and Drama, you have good ears.  Tales from Topographic Oceans is the one that usually takes the longer to get into.  Obviously it has the most music on it, but more than that, it really is a very long work in four movements, with each movement different.  But there are recurring themes both musical and lyrical, so it's pretty overwhelming.  I think of it like a symphony.  People might like Beethoven's Ninth or Sixth or whichever, but how often are you going to listen to a piece of music that's over an hour long?

Anyway, it sounds like you have access to the whole library, so keep at it.  You've taken the right approach IMO by starting with the classics, so give them a little more time.  They're my favorite band, but I don't even like everything they've done.  Some of it just doesn't work for me.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1214 on: February 23, 2012, 01:19:39 PM »
Tales is my favorite Yes album (and one of my favorite albums ever) but it is VERY hard to get into. Personally, I more or less took it a song at a time before putting the whole "painting" together. Don't be so quick to dismiss it, but also don't try to force yourself to love it either. Just give it listens now and again, and each time more of the story will unfold and you should begin to appreciate it more.

I suggest going song by song... start with one of the more accessible movements like Revealing Science or Ritual. Ancient and Remembering do wander quite a bit, so those can be difficult to digest at first. But man, the instrumentation on that album is sublime, and the vocal melodies are some of my favorite Yes moments.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1215 on: February 23, 2012, 03:17:26 PM »
Tales... literally took me over 10 years to really get into :lol, so I'd definitely call that one a grower.

But don't be quick to dismiss the Rabin era.  It's more pop rock at times and not as proggy overall, but there is still some outstanding music there.  Talk and 90125 are both great, and Big Generator is mostly solid as well.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1216 on: February 23, 2012, 05:10:46 PM »
So tonight I did a double shot of Close to the Edge and Relayer. I really forgot how much I love Relayer.  :heart

Soon is and always has been one of the most Beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard.  :hefdaddy

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1217 on: February 23, 2012, 08:10:40 PM »
think of it like a symphony.  People might like Beethoven's Ninth or Sixth or whichever, but how often are you going to listen to a piece of music that's over an hour long?
Never thought of it that way, thanks!  :tup

Anyway, it sounds like you have access to the whole library, so keep at it.  You've taken the right approach IMO by starting with the classics, so give them a little more time.  They're my favorite band, but I don't even like everything they've done.  Some of it just doesn't work for me.
I actually started by going in Chronological order on Spotify, I kind of fell out of that after around Relayer and since then I've been buying the physical albums. Haven't gotten into the pop stuff yet, but I plan on checking out 90125 very soon.

I have to say the quality of the remasters and booklets that come with them is the best I've ever seen.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1218 on: March 05, 2012, 08:04:46 PM »

Just amazing.

If I recall correctly, that's how Wakeman found out he was back in during the Going For The One sessions.

He read it in a magazine.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1219 on: March 05, 2012, 10:58:50 PM »
Chris Squire in both cases, shooting his mouth off before the phone calls have been made.

Not exactly the same thing, but it reminds of when there's been a car accident and people have died, but they don't release the names because next-of-kin haven't been notified.  It would suck so badly to hear that your dad or brother or whoever died by seeing it on the news.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1220 on: March 05, 2012, 11:35:55 PM »
In other news, Trevor Rabin apparently will be releasing his first solo album in over 20 years this coming May.  I'll definitely be picking that up!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1221 on: March 11, 2012, 06:57:47 AM »
I'm in a Yes mood for the last couple of days. I've been listening to a lot of their stuff, including the entire Fragile, Relayer and Close to the edge. Needless to say, I absolutely love this band.  :heart

They are definitely on my list of bands that I need to see live, whatever they decide to play and whoever sings. Too bad they weren't anywhere close last year.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1222 on: March 11, 2012, 10:23:58 AM »
In other news, Trevor Rabin apparently will be releasing his first solo album in over 20 years this coming May.  I'll definitely be picking that up!

Not that it matters but it is an instrumental album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1223 on: March 11, 2012, 10:58:46 AM »
I'm in a Yes mood for the last couple of days. I've been listening to a lot of their stuff, including the entire Fragile, Relayer and Close to the edge. Needless to say, I absolutely love this band.  :heart

They are definitely on my list of bands that I need to see live, whatever they decide to play and whoever sings. Too bad they weren't anywhere close last year.

I've been listening to some Yes for the last few days as well, and it's been all over the place - Fly From Here, Keystudio (well, with a remixed tracklisting and renamed "Know", the original title), Talk, The Ladder, Going For The One, Fragile, 90125.

Yes are just amazing all over, and I really hope they go into the studio this year to release another album ASAP!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1224 on: March 11, 2012, 04:00:45 PM »

Not that it matters but it is an instrumental album.

Really?  How did you find that out?  I am cool with it either way, but I am just curious. :)