Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 265059 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #1155 on: August 29, 2011, 09:12:29 PM »
Believe it or not, I was originally going to suggest that.  Absorb each song individually, rather than trying to grasp the whole thing at once.  I went with the subconscious thing because that's what worked for me, but I'm weird, so who knows?

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #1156 on: September 22, 2011, 03:12:52 AM »
^That's kinda what I did. For the longest time I only listened to Ritual. I must have listened to that masterpiece nearly 150 times, and I still melt like butter everytime. Once I got it on vinyl though, I needed to take the same route. I only listened to The Ancient, then The Revealing Science of God, and finally The Remembering. It took a WHILE, but once it all came together, the picture was so amazing.

And Steve's guitar just... paints.

I like your word choice, you can sit next to me. :)

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #1157 on: September 22, 2011, 06:18:39 PM »
So I finally listened to Fly From Here. It's not bad at all. I like every song, and the production is nice. Benoit David's vocals are good. There is definitely a Drama vibe going on. Into the Storm is probably my favorite track...it reminds me of the better parts of Tormato. I do wish Squire/Howe/White had written more material, but oh well.

Nice job, lads!
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1158 on: September 23, 2011, 12:36:21 AM »
Fly From Here is definitely in my Top 5 Albums of 2011 list. It's unusual to listen to Yes and not hearing Jon Anderson's voice, but Benoit does a good job.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1159 on: September 23, 2011, 03:30:07 AM »
Fly From Here is definitely in my Top 5 Albums of 2011 list. It's unusual to listen to Yes and not hearing Jon Anderson's voice, but Benoit does a good job.
It might be in my top 5 as well. A very good album.  :smiley:

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #1160 on: September 23, 2011, 05:58:24 AM »
^Agreed. It took forever to find the album on vinyl, but once I got it home it's kinda like what Pols Voice said about the 'Drama' feel. I own everything twixt The Yes Album to Drama, so going from Drama to Fly From Here was a pleasant transition.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1161 on: October 08, 2011, 08:04:16 AM »
Okay, I've been listening to The Ladder for the last couple of days. It's a highly enjoyable experience, and I've been wondering how come this album doesn't get that much appreciation? What is it about it that someone might not like? I found that it's incredibly rich with melodies, there's still a lot of progressive stuff going on, and finally, it's surprisingly accessible for a Yes album.  :smiley:

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1162 on: October 08, 2011, 09:20:06 AM »
For me personally, most of the songs on The Ladder just come off as incredibly corny and bland. Never been able to get into that album.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1163 on: October 08, 2011, 02:26:24 PM »
Me neither.  It was a deliberate attempt by Yes to get back more into their "classic prog" sound, but to me it sounds like a band trying to write songs that sound like classic prog Yes.  The fact that it's Yes doing it is irrelevant.  They sound almost like a parody of themselves.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1164 on: October 08, 2011, 02:52:17 PM »
It's interesting, to me, they just sound like themselves. And they pulled it off with Fly from here as well. I prefer Yes to work as hard as possible to go back to their roots than to create something new that I'm not even sure I'll like.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1165 on: October 08, 2011, 02:57:44 PM »
Me neither.  It was a deliberate attempt by Yes to get back more into their "classic prog" sound, but to me it sounds like a band trying to write songs that sound like classic prog Yes.  The fact that it's Yes doing it is irrelevant.  They sound almost like a parody of themselves.

How is that different from the Keys to Ascension material, most of which doesn't touch the best four or five songs from The Ladder?

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #1166 on: October 08, 2011, 03:18:02 PM »
I've always loved The Ladder. It has a really upbeat, fun feel to it, and I don't mind the pop. Homeworld is a freakin' awesome song.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1167 on: October 08, 2011, 03:24:01 PM »
I wasn't that impressed by either of the new songs from Keys, but they at least felt like Yes, just not top-shelf Yes.  It's hard to describe; all the pieces were there, but they didn't fit right, or something.  From Keys II, only "Mind Drive" really excites me.  To me, it works just as well as any other epic of theirs.  I like each of the main themes, and I like the flow between them.  The rest are interesting ideas which for some reason they decided to just repeat over and over, driving them down from pretty good to mediocre.  Even the instrumental (whose name escapes me) starts as a good idea, but there's just not enough there, and repeating it eight times doesn't change that.

To answer your question, though, the difference is that The Ladder just didn't gel for me.  There are some good songs, but the bad ones really bring it down.  (There are songs I always skip, and with Keys I can at least listen straight through.)  And admittedly, I was probably too aware that Wakeman had left again and whatever keys I was hearing were being played by some guy named Igor who had no Yes cred, so maybe I was biased.  But I did give it a chance.  They promised a return to form, and the samples they released on the net got me pretty excited.  I bought it right away, and listened to it in the car a few times before passing judgement, but man, some of it was just bad.

Maybe I should give The Ladder another shot.  I was disappointed by Keys, and felt a lot better about Keys II, although it hasn't aged well.  The Ladder never really worked for me, so I never listen to it anymore, but I do remember hearing some good stuff.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1168 on: October 08, 2011, 05:10:14 PM »
The Ladder > Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe

The worst song(s) on The Ladder > "Teakbois"

Yikes...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #1169 on: October 08, 2011, 07:48:10 PM »
Having become a Yes fan during the Rabin years, The Ladder is what turned me onto classic Yes and inspired me to collect the entire back catalogue. It has a special place in my heart - some of Alan White's best work IMO.
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #1170 on: October 08, 2011, 07:52:49 PM »
The Ladder > Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe

The worst song(s) on The Ladder > "Teakbois"

Yikes...

-Marc.

Every song ever written > Teakbois

:P

Not really, but what's the deal with that song, anyway? Oh Jon, you so cwazy.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1171 on: October 08, 2011, 08:27:45 PM »
Sometimes I feel like the only guy who rabidly defends the Keys material.   Mind Drive is fantastic, and to tell you the truth, I actually prefer That, That Is even more....I put TTI among the best Yes epics ever written.   

Still havn't checked out FFH, but I've been completely broke lately.   :sad:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #1172 on: October 08, 2011, 11:50:30 PM »
I like most of the Keys material. That, That Is is cool, but some of the lyrics are bigger headscratchers than usual (CRACK TIME). I really like Bring Me to the Power.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1173 on: October 09, 2011, 03:40:47 AM »
And admittedly, I was probably too aware that Wakeman had left again and whatever keys I was hearing were being played by some guy named Igor who had no Yes cred, so maybe I was biased. 
Yeah, I did notice that keyboards aren't as dominant on this album as on their good early works, but I don't really mind it. Steve Howe still delivers the goods, and Jon puts his stamp on the album, and that's pretty much the most important to me.

Homeworld, New language, Finally, If only you knew... Great stuff.  :smiley:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1174 on: October 09, 2011, 07:31:57 AM »
The Ladder definitely has a few crappy songs (in the middle of the album), but I think Homeworld, The Messenger and Nine Voices are all tremendous Yes songs, and I quite like It Will Be a Good Day, Face to Face and New Language a lot as well.  And Lightning Strikes is good, foot-tapping fun.

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #1175 on: October 09, 2011, 07:37:00 AM »
Are The Ladder, Keys I, and Keys II available on vinyl?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1176 on: October 16, 2011, 09:44:32 PM »
Are The Ladder, Keys I, and Keys II available on vinyl?

I think Union was the last Yes album to be released on vinyl and at that point it might have been an import (Which likely means you won't find it cheap.)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1177 on: October 16, 2011, 11:14:42 PM »
Do we at least all agree that Magnification slays?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1178 on: October 16, 2011, 11:15:38 PM »
No.  I think it is mostly forgettable.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1179 on: October 16, 2011, 11:19:57 PM »
Hmm. Driving late at night listening to this won me over on that album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9Y4OippOAQ

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1180 on: October 16, 2011, 11:33:33 PM »
That is one of the few songs I remember liking at all from it; Spirit of Survival was another.  In the Presence Of started off great, but then wanders off into no man's land and gets boring really fast.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #1181 on: October 16, 2011, 11:55:28 PM »
I'm a big fan of Magnification. It's actually one of my favorite Yes albums. We Agree is my fave track. The chorus ("these are the days that we will talk about") is a huge chills-inducing moment for me. I LOVE that song.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1182 on: October 19, 2011, 08:10:05 AM »
Magnification might be in my top 5. The strongest stuff on the Ladder is also really good, IMO.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #1183 on: November 10, 2011, 08:17:53 AM »
I was really dissapointed I couldn't go to see the Opeth show in Bristol on Tuesday due to cost... That was until this happened: One of my housemates got free tickets to the Yes show here next Wednesday. I am mildly jealous of her that her boss is the brother of one of the members (although I have not yet ascertained which), but yes. Very excited I am.

Naturally, I thought I'd better go and buy Fly From Here today to get to know the material so I can really enjoy the show, and I'm really liking this album...
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1184 on: November 10, 2011, 10:35:16 AM »
It's a good album.  Great sound, solid writing, solid playing.  The arrangements aren't as adventurous (prog) as "classic Yes" but whatever.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #1185 on: November 10, 2011, 02:00:29 PM »
It still sounded pretty classic to me. I think I'll enjoy listening to it, same goes for Drama.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #1186 on: November 10, 2011, 04:41:52 PM »
What do people think about the self-titled debut? It's kind of raw, but it has a youthful energy and some cool tracks: Beyond and Before, Looking Around, Harold Land, and so on.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1187 on: November 10, 2011, 06:00:06 PM »
It was a very promising album, pretty good, and I do listen to it from time to time.  As you mentioned, it has the raw, youthful energy.  This was a band that had something different to offer, and they were going for it.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1188 on: November 11, 2011, 04:43:47 AM »
It's easily my least favorite Yes album. Not a single song had stuck with me, unfortunately. I honestly can't remember if I liked anything about it...

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1189 on: November 21, 2011, 07:59:15 PM »
What do people think about the self-titled debut? It's kind of raw, but it has a youthful energy and some cool tracks: Beyond and Before, Looking Around, Harold Land, and so on.

I like it a lot.

That album and Time and a Word have what I consider to be Tony Kaye's best keyboard work in Yes on them.