Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 262865 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #350 on: April 18, 2010, 11:15:01 PM »
I shouldn't diss "And You And I" the way I do.  You're right; nobody does a love song (or anything else) the way Yes does.  And the only real issue for me is those huge, sweeping, dramatic sections with the Mellotrons.  Yes, they're beautiful, but they seem to come out of nowhere.  To me, there's just not enough buildup to justify the near-orgasmic power of those sections.  It's like, where did that come from?

I need to give it another listen, and hopefully appreciate it more.  I do like the song.

This pretty much nails how I feel about And You And I.  I get the aesthetic reason why those metronomes might be there, but it doesn't do anything for me.  They're the one weak point of Close to the Edge, and the one reason why CttE isn't my favorite Yes album.

Mellotrons aside, AYAI is a fantastic song with some of the greatest passages in the Yes catalog.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 11:21:40 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #351 on: April 20, 2010, 02:10:48 PM »
For some reason unknownst to myself, Machine Messiah is suddenly much more epic than I ever remember it being.

I feel like I'm listening to it for the first time.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #352 on: April 20, 2010, 07:26:29 PM »
On an unrelated yet epic note:

Wooo! Just bought my Yes tickets for Jones Beach! This time I'm bringing 5 other people with me so a great time shall be had by all!
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #353 on: April 20, 2010, 08:59:04 PM »
For some reason unknownst to myself, Machine Messiah is suddenly much more epic than I ever remember it being.

Drama is an awesome album.  Squire, White, and Howe wanted to get a little heavier, while Anderson and Wakeman wanted to go a different direction.  Anderson had been working with Vangelis, and thought doing something like that with Yes would be cool.  And it would have been, except the other guys weren't on board with that.

Anyway, Anderson and Wakeman split, Horn and Downes (a.k.a. The Buggles) came in, and Drama happened.  Another lineup that produced only one album.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #354 on: April 20, 2010, 09:32:04 PM »

Drama is an awesome album.  Squire, White, and Howe wanted to get a little heavier, while Anderson and Wakeman wanted to go a different direction.  Anderson had been working with Vangelis, and thought doing something like that with Yes would be cool.  And it would have been, except the other guys weren't on board with that.

Anyway, Anderson and Wakeman split, Horn and Downes (a.k.a. The Buggles) came in, and Drama happened.  Another lineup that produced only one album.

Yup, I always wondered what else the band would have produced had the Buggles guys stayed on board a while longer, although Trevor Horn did produce their 80s stuff, and Geoff Downes went onto form Asia with Howe, so I guess it all worked out.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #355 on: April 29, 2010, 06:40:32 PM »
I've really been digging Magnification lately. It's extremely underrated in my opinion. It's definitely risen in the ranks of my album order lately.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #356 on: April 29, 2010, 07:26:45 PM »
The Yes Album = awesome

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #357 on: April 29, 2010, 08:58:14 PM »

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #358 on: April 29, 2010, 10:19:14 PM »
How have I not posted in this thread yet? I  :heart Yes!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #359 on: April 29, 2010, 11:32:35 PM »
How have I not posted in this thread yet? I  :heart Yes!
Welcome.  Come with us...come with us.........come with us.......................................

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: April 30, 2010, 12:29:51 AM »
I started reading 'Close To The Edge: The Story of Yes' yesterday after it arrived in the mail. Seems to be a great book, and I've always wanted to know more about this band. I love reading music biographies.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #361 on: April 30, 2010, 10:36:16 AM »
I started reading 'Close To The Edge: The Story of Yes' yesterday after it arrived in the mail. Seems to be a great book, and I've always wanted to know more about this band. I love reading music biographies.

I'll have to check this out! At this point, band biographies are the only books I enjoy reading anymore!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #362 on: April 30, 2010, 03:12:49 PM »
I will definatly have to check this out.  One of my favorite biographies was Before I get Old, The story of The Who.  So many little things fo into the formation of a band, I would be really interested to see the backstory of Yes, especially about their songwriting.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #363 on: April 30, 2010, 05:50:53 PM »

I've been meaning to get a good biography about Yes. Band Bios are among my favorite books.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #364 on: May 04, 2010, 09:45:33 PM »
I enjoyed "Close To The Edge" (the book). Very informative.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #365 on: May 31, 2010, 12:49:48 PM »
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=13717.0

The last round of the finals has begun.

It is "Close to the Edge" vs. "And You And I"

This will determine DTF's favorite Yessong!

Please remember to vote for your LEAST favorite!
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: May 31, 2010, 02:33:07 PM »
I enjoyed "Close To The Edge" (the book). Very informative.

It was great. I finished it today. I can recommend it highly :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #367 on: June 02, 2010, 11:22:31 PM »
So, I'm crazy about Close to the Edge, The Yes Album, and Fragile, probably in that order. What's next for me? I've kinda tried Tales from Topographic Oceans and found it a little too much. Suggestions please!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #368 on: June 02, 2010, 11:24:38 PM »
Let Tales work on you a little bit.  Revisit it a few more times in the next few weeks.

Meanwhile, pick up Relayer, Drama, and Going for the One, in that order.

Alternate suggestion: Yesshows, the live album from that period.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #369 on: June 02, 2010, 11:28:10 PM »
Let Tales work on you a little bit.  Revisit it a few more times in the next few weeks.

Meanwhile, pick up Relayer, Drama, and Going for the One, in that order.

Alternate suggestion: Yesshows, the live album from that period.

This exactly.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #370 on: June 02, 2010, 11:42:41 PM »
I agree with Orbert, but get Going For The One before anything, because I feel it is the most accessible of those three albums.

And Tales is really hard to get into, but once you do, you will be blown away. I suggest starting off by taking it one song at a time (I went Ritual, then Revealing Science, then The Remembering and The Ancient). I feel that Revealing Science is the best song on the album, and perhaps my favorite Yes song.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #371 on: June 02, 2010, 11:51:36 PM »
Nope, Tales has to be listened to in order from start to finish without any pauses or breaks with complete concentration. Otherwise the album falls apart and is hard to get into.

If you give it your full concentration and time it will change your life.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #372 on: June 03, 2010, 12:05:31 AM »
Nope, Tales has to be listened to in order from start to finish without any pauses or breaks with complete concentration. Otherwise the album falls apart and is hard to get into.

If you give it your full concentration and time it will change your life.

I agree with this once you are familiar with the album, but I think when you're trying to get into at first, it is wayyyy too much to digest.

Maybe its just my musical ADHD that prevented me from being able to listen through it for the first time easily. :p

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #373 on: June 03, 2010, 01:49:54 PM »
Yeah, Tales is possibly the hardest to get into album I have ever heard.  Just try giving if your full attention and listen to it all the way through without stopping.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #374 on: June 08, 2010, 10:57:50 PM »
I love Yes, but...

am I the only one that feels they are really slow and dull live nowadays? I was watching Montreux 2003, which was a great show... but the songs lose so much when they are slowed down and tuned down. After that, I put Yessongs on vinyl, and forgot how much of a powerhouse this band used to be.

They are still great musicians, but the vicious uptempo songs like Heart of the Sunrise just don't sound that great anymore.

But aside from that, I'm most likely going to the show next week. :p Because....
SPOILERS:
THEY PLAYED CLOSE TO THE EDGE!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #375 on: June 08, 2010, 11:02:13 PM »
You are definitely not the only one.  It's one of the grand jokes of fate that somehow there are no decent video recordings of Yes in their prime, but several high-quality recordings of them in their 50s and 60s playing things at half-speed.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #376 on: June 08, 2010, 11:27:46 PM »
SPOILERS:

WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS. SOURCE PLEASE!
space cadet, pull out.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #377 on: June 08, 2010, 11:35:11 PM »
SPOILERS:

WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS. SOURCE PLEASE!

https://nfte.org/ViewReviews.aspx?rev=Mjg5NTcxNjI10

The post titled "Wow" has the (I'm assuming) complete set.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #378 on: June 08, 2010, 11:40:30 PM »
Holy fuck!
space cadet, pull out.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #379 on: June 08, 2010, 11:48:04 PM »
Holy fuck!

Thats what I'm saying man. I was weary about going to the show.... but tickets are actually only 40 dollars, and they are playing THAT.... so I don't think I have a choice now.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #380 on: June 08, 2010, 11:51:18 PM »
Yea I bought tix the day they went on sale, but I was expecting a similar set to what they did in February. This is a pleasant surprise.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #381 on: June 09, 2010, 05:34:21 PM »
I love Yes, but...

am I the only one that feels they are really slow and dull live nowadays? I was watching Montreux 2003, which was a great show... but the songs lose so much when they are slowed down and tuned down. After that, I put Yessongs on vinyl, and forgot how much of a powerhouse this band used to be.

They are still great musicians, but the vicious uptempo songs like Heart of the Sunrise just don't sound that great anymore.

But aside from that, I'm most likely going to the show next week. :p Because....
SPOILERS:

I'm probably in the same boat you are. I enjoy hearing the more recent studio recordings, but I'm too used to the Pre-Talk live stuff (I've never seen anything from the Talk Tour.)

I haven't seen them since the Union Tour. I've considered it for the 15 years after that, but now I don't even consider going whatever the setlist might be.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 05:42:26 PM by ytserush »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #382 on: June 10, 2010, 12:09:40 AM »
Jon Anderson is COMING TO MINNESOTA! He NEVER comes here as a friend of mine whose traveled across the country to see him a dozen or more times in the past 6 years.

Monday August 16th @ The Guthrie Theater. Tickets go on sale on Friday June 11th at 11AM.

https://www.guthrietheater.org/whats_happening/events/2010/jon_anderson

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #383 on: June 10, 2010, 11:02:34 PM »
Jon Anderson is COMING TO MINNESOTA! He NEVER comes here as a friend of mine whose traveled across the country to see him a dozen or more times in the past 6 years.

Monday August 16th @ The Guthrie Theater. Tickets go on sale on Friday June 11th at 11AM.

https://www.guthrietheater.org/whats_happening/events/2010/jon_anderson

Definitely go. I saw him back in April and it was an amazing show. Hes not that greatest musician in the world, but his voice is still pretty good and its cool to see new twists on some of the Yes classics.

It might have helped that I was stoned out of my mind, but I feel that it was a great show regardless.  :biggrin:

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #384 on: June 16, 2010, 11:34:31 PM »
Just got back from the Yes show.

Meh.

David isn't that great. Close to the Edge was almost unbearable. The middle section was awesome, but the rest was horrible. It was either tuned down or David was singing off key (or more than likely, both).

Steve was on fire this show though. And I think Frampton put on a better show than Yes (even though I only knew two of his songs beforehand). By the middle of Close to the Edge, about half of the floor seats were cleared... it was kind of pitiful.

I don't think I'm gonna see Yes anymore. I went this time because I was dying to hear CTTE live.... but even that wasn't really worth it.  :-\