Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 262564 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #2905 on: July 26, 2021, 07:27:53 PM »
You are absolutely right. I looked at the back of My Yessongs album cover and The Clap is not on there. I did confuse it with the live version on The Yes Album.   🙃

Though that does make me wonder why there isn't a bumper release of Yessongs+ including more of the material recorded from these shows? It really is an interesting transitional point for the band with a new drummer.

There is a box set that was released called "Progeny", that has seven shows from that Fall '72 tour was released.  I have it, but I haven't listened to all of it yet.

This is probably my favorite live Yes document from the 1970's.  Never get tired of this. Blows Yessongs away in my opinion even though Yesssongs probably has the better tracklisting.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2906 on: July 27, 2021, 05:55:24 AM »
I'm in the middle of watching the "Yes: Acoustic" DVD.    It's good (I'm only two songs in) but Squire looks lost. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2907 on: September 01, 2021, 07:39:53 AM »
There's a new Yes single out today. I haven't heard it yet, but the comments I saw about it on Facebook ranged from "This isn't Yes" to "Completely inoffensive", so I'm not in a hurry to listen to it... :lol

https://youtu.be/hhzKdB6ftsc

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2908 on: September 01, 2021, 01:11:55 PM »
The first single "The Ice Bridge" wasn't bad.  It still has that mellow latter-day Yes sound which IMO makes Heaven And Earth basically unlistenable (I've tried, but I keep falling asleep) but it at least tries to be prog, with a couple of changes, some interesting accents, and even a not-bad synth solo.

This new one "Dare to Know" fully embraces the mellow "put this on if you need a nap, even if you just woke up" sound.  Take all the mellow parts from Heaven And Earth (basically the whole album) and cross them with some 70's light rock (think Air Supply or Little River Band) and add a healthy dose of Valium, and you have the new single.  I challenge anyone here to stay awake while listening to it.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2909 on: September 01, 2021, 02:20:46 PM »
It is very mellow but I enjoyed it. Probably because I'm old :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2910 on: September 01, 2021, 02:40:44 PM »
I don't mind a good mellow tune.  This one wasn't too bad. I liked it more than the first song they released from this record, but still not enough to make me want to buy the album.

And don't get me started on the "this doesn't sound like Yes" nonsense, as some Yes fans are notorious for thinking they are THE authority on what Yes should sound like (see: a large contingent with their endless BS about how the Rabin era doesn't sound like real Yes, whatever the hell "real Yes" is supposed to be), when Yes can sound like whatever the current band wants it to. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2911 on: September 01, 2021, 03:21:40 PM »

And don't get me started on the "this doesn't sound like Yes" nonsense, as some Yes fans are notorious for thinking they are THE authority on what Yes should sound like (see: a large contingent with their endless BS about how the Rabin era doesn't sound like real Yes, whatever the hell "real Yes" is supposed to be), when Yes can sound like whatever the current band wants it to.
I like all incarnations of Yes,  but the Rabin era is my favorite.  The new single is pretty cool btw..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2912 on: September 01, 2021, 03:29:10 PM »
I just wish they'd remember that they're actually a rock band.  Yeah, I get it, they can be whatever they want, including "soft rock" or "light rock" but man, I miss the rock and roll.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2913 on: September 01, 2021, 06:08:06 PM »
Soooooo Yes does “yacht rock” now…
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2914 on: September 01, 2021, 06:24:36 PM »
I've never fully grokked the definition of "yacht rock" but I think it's something like that.  It all sounds great, the harmonies are nice, the playing is fine, the arrangements are fine, it's all wonderful, chill music, so I do understand why people like it.  But come on, can they literally not create something that one could call Rock and Roll?  It doesn't have to be "Heart of the Sunrise" or "Close to the Edge" but give me something with some kind of balls to it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2915 on: September 01, 2021, 07:07:34 PM »
General term for that late 70s “light and breezy” rock that made all those hits.

Little River Band
The MM-era of The Doobie Brothers

The peak (and ultimate “jump the shark” moment) was when Christopher Cross swept the Grammy’s in 1980-ish. It was all over after that.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2916 on: September 02, 2021, 03:43:04 AM »
I have a question.

Why is the Talk album not on Spotify?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2917 on: September 02, 2021, 03:50:02 AM »
I have a question.

The label it was released on (Victory Music) folded shortly after the album released & now no-one has legal rights to redistribute it.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2918 on: September 02, 2021, 05:02:09 AM »
I have a question.

The label it was released on (Victory Music) folded shortly after the album released & now no-one has legal rights to redistribute it.
This is such a bogus outcome for a top tier Yes album.  I can see why Trevor Rabin got discouraged and left the band to do movie soundtracks.  This record was a masterpiece for him and the band and they were on fire for that tour!
Endless Dream easily holds up to the epics of old such as Awaken and CTTE.   Yes hasn't put out any material since then that even comes remotely close to rivaling the Talk album..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2919 on: September 02, 2021, 07:46:19 AM »
That is such a good album. It is a shame people cannot stream it anywhere.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2920 on: September 02, 2021, 09:10:47 AM »
General term for that late 70s “light and breezy” rock that made all those hits.

Little River Band
The MM-era of The Doobie Brothers

The peak (and ultimate “jump the shark” moment) was when Christopher Cross swept the Grammy’s in 1980-ish. It was all over after that.

We had a thread on this once; I think the definition is tighter than that.  I don't know what it is, but I remember thinking "how is "x" not yacht rock?" but it wasn't.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2921 on: September 02, 2021, 09:13:49 AM »

I like all incarnations of Yes,  but the Rabin era is my favorite.  The new single is pretty cool btw..

it's funny; I grew up with the Howe era, and Going For The One is my favorite album of all time by any band.  But when I listen to the Rabin era, it is SO SOLID.  Some songs are better than others, but there is no DUFF song.  No "Circus Of Heaven" or "Arriving UFO".  Even the Onion debacle, the four Rabin songs slay the ABWH songs (with the possible exception of "I Would Have Waited Forever"). 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2922 on: September 02, 2021, 09:14:07 AM »
Re: Talk - it's a great album, and probably my favorite of the three Rabin albums. I'd say all the '90s albums are pretty good-to-great, except Open Your Eyes (which is just OK, for the most part). Even Union has some stand-out tracks and moments, but Talk, the Keys stuff, and The Ladder are all pretty good Yes albums IMO. I'd rather take all the '90s Yes stuff than the '80s Yes stuff (including ABWH).

And as for the new single, I listened to it, and forgot it almost immediately. Fairly forgettable song, and it felt like more of the same relaxing/chill background music that Heaven & Earth was. I'll probably not pre-order this one and wait to read some reviews, but I'm sure I'll get it eventually.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2923 on: September 02, 2021, 09:19:48 AM »
With the understanding that I haven't listened to the two singles yet, one of the problems is Jon Davison's voice.  He's an amazing singer, and he captures one aspect of Anderson's voice, but only one aspect.  Anderson is actually a decent ROCK singer.  He does a really good job on the rock covers they've done over the years, but Davison's voice is a bit too twee to project in the same way, IMO.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2924 on: September 02, 2021, 09:22:27 AM »
I'll get the new one just because I have every Yes album in at least one physical format and it would bother me not to have it.  But it will be mainly for completeness, and so I can rip the tracks I like and add them to my Yes playlist.

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #2925 on: September 02, 2021, 09:54:52 AM »
I'll listen to the album when it comes out, but mostly for completeness sake.

I feel there's just zero energy to this new song. And I think that's what bums me out most about it. I get they're not young anymore, and I definitely don't want them trying to do another "Sound Chaser".

If I listened to it blind and didn't know who it was, I'd honestly guess it was a Yes cover band trying their hand at Yes-type music. Which is fine. It certainly doesn't mean "this is not Yes." And Yes has taken many directions and can determine whatever they want to sound like. But man I just wish I felt some excitement or energy in the playing. Maybe its just me.

For a humorous side, after reading some of the earlier comments this morning, I decided to throw on the song for the first time while I was working out. I may have been the first person in the world to have bench pressed to "Dare to Know". Will I remain the only person? Who knows....
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2926 on: September 02, 2021, 10:07:14 AM »
I'll get the new one just because I have every Yes album in at least one physical format and it would bother me not to have it.  But it will be mainly for completeness, and so I can rip the tracks I like and add them to my Yes playlist.

The nerd in me says I got to have this in physical form. But I will probably wait a few months when it's sold for half the price, because my expectations are very low.

If it's on spotify I will give it a spin, maybe it will surprise me.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2927 on: September 02, 2021, 10:09:08 AM »
I'll listen to the album when it comes out, but mostly for completeness sake.

I feel there's just zero energy to this new song. And I think that's what bums me out most about it. I get they're not young anymore, and I definitely don't want them trying to do another "Sound Chaser".

If I listened to it blind and didn't know who it was, I'd honestly guess it was a Yes cover band trying their hand at Yes-type music. Which is fine. It certainly doesn't mean "this is not Yes." And Yes has taken many directions and can determine whatever they want to sound like. But man I just wish I felt some excitement or energy in the playing. Maybe its just me.

For a humorous side, after reading some of the earlier comments this morning, I decided to throw on the song for the first time while I was working out. I may have been the first person in the world to have bench pressed to "Dare to Know". Will I remain the only person? Who knows....

Interestingly enough, the Arc Of Life album was pretty rocking!   Billy Sherwood CAN "play" Chris Squire (by "play" I mean provide the sort of rock sensibility, not just finger the notes).   

Offline emtee

« Reply #2928 on: September 03, 2021, 01:49:46 PM »
Just read a good review from Progarchives. Dude said this new one is the best since Drama.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2929 on: September 03, 2021, 01:56:31 PM »
Just read a good review from Progarchives. Dude said this new one is the best since Drama.

That’s a bit too over the top to take seriously.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2930 on: September 03, 2021, 01:58:57 PM »
Who knows, maybe he truly feels that way. I wasn't going to buy it but I guess I probably should.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2931 on: September 03, 2021, 03:45:18 PM »
"Best since Drama" - implying that none of their albums since Drama have been better than Drama. I'm not sure I can trust their opinion then...  :lol

All kidding aside, the first two singles definitely haven't filled me with hope that it will even be better than Fly From Here, let alone Drama, or anything in-between. At least FFH had a bit of heaviness than rock 'n' roll to it.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2932 on: September 03, 2021, 07:10:02 PM »

Sounds like a lame review on that alone, and since it's from Progarchives, it's probably someone who craps all over the Rabin era, so hard to take it seriously. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2933 on: September 03, 2021, 08:25:37 PM »

Sounds like a lame review on that alone, and since it's from Progarchives, it's probably someone who craps all over the Rabin era, so hard to take it seriously.

Reminds me of the Prog Report reviews, where they blindly praise any new release with Portnoy but are over-critical of MM era DT :facepalm:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2934 on: September 03, 2021, 09:44:04 PM »

Reminds me of the Prog Report reviews, where they blindly praise any new release with Portnoy but are over-critical of MM era DT :facepalm:

Well, Portnoy is a frequent guest on the Prog Report, and they likely don't want to lose that connection since he's probably one of the few prog "names" that goes on there, so it is in their best interests to praise Portnoy's music and be overly critical of DT's music without him.  Let's put it this way: if they had given Innocence and Danger a bad review, and then came out with a glowing review of DT's forthcoming album, the odds of Portnoy continuing to guest on their shows or podcasts would likely drop dramatically.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #2935 on: September 04, 2021, 04:32:03 PM »
I have a question.

But there was a 2002 reissue, later included in a boxset. Doesn't Eagle Records own the rights?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2936 on: September 04, 2021, 07:54:48 PM »
I have a question.

But there was a 2002 reissue, later included in a boxset. Doesn't Eagle Records own the rights?

I didn't know that. I guess I don't fully understand the situation then.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2937 on: September 04, 2021, 11:35:08 PM »
Oh that's right,  It is called the collectors edition. There's an extended version of The Calling and a write-up about the making of the album..

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2938 on: September 14, 2021, 12:10:34 AM »
I'm looking at the track lengths for The Quest on wikipedia... why exactly is this a double album? The whole thing's only 61 minutes? Is it just to up the price?
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2939 on: September 14, 2021, 12:45:21 AM »
I'm looking at the track lengths for The Quest on wikipedia... why exactly is this a double album? The whole thing's only 61 minutes? Is it just to up the price?

2nd disc is bonus tracks, to my understanding.