Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 264301 times)

Offline Lupton

Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #2870 on: July 07, 2021, 07:09:14 PM »
Well since I've already been buying Yes albums (even some I swore I'd never get!) out of an OCD need to own them all, I'll probably have to get this one. I sort of don't care at this point if it is complete shit or if it is good... If it turns out awful, I just hope there's something that will make laugh as hard as I did when I first heard "..crack time.." back roundabout over the hills of long forgotten yesterdays.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2871 on: July 07, 2021, 09:03:43 PM »
I just want something better than Heaven And Earth. That album suuuucked.

(And I just want to be able to buy a copy of From A Page on CD without having to use Burning Shed and without having it bundled with a live album I already own.)
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2872 on: July 08, 2021, 12:44:26 AM »
Fingers crossed for some Steve Howe magic and a pleasant listen. I'd be content with just that, given that I was really underwhelmed by Heaven and earth. I did like Fly from here, however, but that was ten years ago.

EDIT: I dug out my comment on Heaven and earth from seven years ago. It turns out I liked it at first. That's odd, since I haven't felt the need to listen to it for more than a half a decade now.  :lol
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 07:56:59 AM by Mladen »

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2873 on: July 09, 2021, 08:47:14 AM »
Fly From Here is always a nice experience. Heaven And Earth is their worst album in my opinion.

I'll listen with an open mind.

I agree with every word in that post.  H&E is even worse than Open Your Eyes.

I really like Sherwood, though, and he's coming off Arc Of Life which is EXCELLENT, IMO.

It's indeed an interesting album, very Yes, in a good way. Thanks for the heads up!
So there's hope for the new album.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 09:18:22 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2874 on: July 09, 2021, 09:52:04 AM »
I would be way more excited if the Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman album would have come to fruition. I still can't believe they dropped the ball on that project.
I wonder what the heck happened?   :mehlin
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Lupton

« Reply #2875 on: July 11, 2021, 11:59:30 AM »
Well I watched Yessongs for the 1st time in ages last night, and I was reminded just what a beast Howe was back in the day! The dude's all over it just totally killing everything. He can barely contain his energy. Nothing but fire, fire and more fire!  I'm guessing this DVD I have is an unauthorized bootleg or somesuch as it's just a straight transfer of the old VHS shitty audio and all..

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2876 on: July 12, 2021, 12:35:14 AM »
I've never seen Yessongs live video but I do have it on double disc cd and it is awesome!  Steve Howe is just super on this performance. 
I just want to ask him:  Steve,  Howe do you you do it??
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Lupton

« Reply #2877 on: July 12, 2021, 01:44:44 AM »
I've never seen Yessongs live video but I do have it on double disc cd and it is awesome!  Steve Howe is just super on this performance. 

Some of those from the record are the same as from the movie. I'm not sure which, but I think Yours Is No Disgrace, Roundabout and Close To The Edge sounded like the same performances. When you actually see Howe performing this stuff it's really unreal. He's just bouncing and moving like he's wired into some secret hippy sauce. Greatest guitar face I've ever seen. The rest of the band seem placid by comparison. And Yes. Howe did he do it??

[edit: forgot to mention there's a performance of (The) Clap on the video which is not on the record. Also Rick's solo is different from the one used on the record]

Online pg1067

« Reply #2878 on: July 12, 2021, 10:19:59 AM »

Some of those from the record are the same as from the movie. I'm not sure which, but I think Yours Is No Disgrace, Roundabout and Close To The Edge sounded like the same performances. When you actually see Howe performing this stuff it's really unreal. He's just bouncing and moving like he's wired into some secret hippy sauce. Greatest guitar face I've ever seen. The rest of the band seem placid by comparison. And Yes. Howe did he do it??

[edit: forgot to mention there's a performance of (The) Clap on the video which is not on the record. Also Rick's solo is different from the one used on the record]

According to Wikipedia, the video is all taken from the Dec. 15, 1972 show at the Rainbow Theatre in London, with Close to the Edge and the "Wurm" section of Starship Trooper that plays over the closing credits being the only songs that are the same as on the album.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yessongs_(film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yessongs
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2879 on: July 12, 2021, 11:20:41 AM »

The Clap is included on my double disc set.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #2880 on: July 12, 2021, 11:24:33 AM »
According to Wikipedia, the video is all taken from the Dec. 15, 1972 show at the Rainbow Theatre in London, with Close to the Edge and the "Wurm" section of Starship Trooper that plays over the closing credits being the only songs that are the same as on the album.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yessongs_(film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yessongs

There we go. The correct information. Thanks!

I would recommend anyone who has not seen it before to check out Howe's rendition of Clap on Yessongs. Man, he beats that acoustic guitar like a red-headed stepchild!

Ah. I didn't know that. I must have an older release as it only has Mood For A Day.

Online pg1067

« Reply #2881 on: July 12, 2021, 01:03:18 PM »

You sure about that?

The recording of (The) Clap on The Yes Album is actually a live recording, but I can't find any indication of any version of Yessongs that has Clap on it.  The original vinyl release had the following:

Firebird Suite
Siberian Khatru
Heart of the Sunrise

Perpetual Change
And You and I

Mood for a Day
Excerpts from Six Wives
Roundabout

I've Seen All Good People
Long Distance Runaround/The Fish

Close to the Edge

Yours Is No Disgrace
Starship Trooper

I can't find any indication that any of the reissues have different or extra tracks.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2882 on: July 12, 2021, 01:24:32 PM »
You are absolutely right. I looked at the back of My Yessongs album cover and The Clap is not on there. I did confuse it with the live version on The Yes Album.   🙃

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2883 on: July 12, 2021, 02:18:52 PM »
The proper title of the piece is "Clap".  Steve Howe has said so many times.  Jon Anderson always called it "The Clap" and announced it as such, but that should be considered a case of misspeaking, and any "official" listing considered a typo.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2884 on: July 12, 2021, 02:25:55 PM »
The proper title of the piece is "Clap".  Steve Howe has said so many times.  Jon Anderson always called it "The Clap" and announced it as such, but that should be considered a case of misspeaking, and any "official" listing considered a typo.

Nah, let's just add a superfluous "The" to the start of every Yes song from now on... The Roundabout, The Heart Of The Sunrise, The Close To The Edge, The Ritual, The The Gates Of Delirium, The Awaken, The Owner Of A Lonely Heart... it'll catch on!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2885 on: July 12, 2021, 02:29:24 PM »
THE Calling.  Oh wait..  :loser:

Online pg1067

« Reply #2886 on: July 12, 2021, 04:04:30 PM »

That's why I (and, presumably, Arch) put "The" in parentheses -- because, regardless of the the correct title, JA introduced it with "The," AND that's how it was titled on original TYA pressings.

Nah, let's just add a superfluous "The" to the start of every Yes song from now on... The Roundabout, The Heart Of The Sunrise, The Close To The Edge, The Ritual, The The Gates Of Delirium, The Awaken, The Owner Of A Lonely Heart... it'll catch on!

:lol :lol :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2887 on: July 12, 2021, 07:21:29 PM »
There are not many solo instrumentalists pieces that I can listen to over and over and never get tired of, but (The) Clap is one of them.  Still love it just as much now as I did 30 years ago when I heard it for the first time.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #2888 on: July 12, 2021, 11:58:13 PM »
You are absolutely right. I looked at the back of My Yessongs album cover and The Clap is not on there. I did confuse it with the live version on The Yes Album.   🙃

Though that does make me wonder why there isn't a bumper release of Yessongs+ including more of the material recorded from these shows? It really is an interesting transitional point for the band with a new drummer.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2889 on: July 13, 2021, 07:12:13 AM »

Though that does make me wonder why there isn't a bumper release of Yessongs+ including more of the material recorded from these shows? It really is an interesting transitional point for the band with a new drummer.

There is a box set that was released called "Progeny", that has seven shows from that Fall '72 tour was released.  I have it, but I haven't listened to all of it yet.   

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2890 on: July 13, 2021, 07:16:38 AM »
Progeny reveals that they played the same set list every night, so there aren't any other songs that weren't already released on Yessongs.  In fact, Yessongs contains a few tracks from the Fragile tour (you can tell because Bill Bruford is on them) to help fill out the three original LPs, now two CDs.  It wasn't like that, though; they're not "filler" tracks or anything.  They just included material from different tours because they wanted their first live album to be a big deal, a triple LP.

Online pg1067

« Reply #2891 on: July 13, 2021, 09:39:44 AM »

Though that does make me wonder why there isn't a bumper release of Yessongs+ including more of the material recorded from these shows?

But there isn't much of anything that wasn't included on the album.  It was, after all, a triple album with over two hours of music.

Wikipedia indicates that the tracks on Yessongs were recorded at 6-8 shows on the Fragile and Close to the Edge tours:  Feb. 19 and/or 23, 1972; Nov. 1, 12, 15 and 20, 1972; and Dec. 15 and/or 16, 1972.  Assuming those dates are accurate, and assuming the set lists on setlist.fm are accurate, the songs on Yessongs are the ONLY songs performed at any of those shows, with two exceptions:  (1) Clap (performed at most of those shows); and (2) South Side of the Sky (performed as a second encore only at the Feb. 19, 1972 show.  The Feb. 19 and/or 23, 1972 shows were from the Fragile tour and are indicated as the source for the recordings of Perpetual Change and Long Distance Runaround/The Fish.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #2892 on: July 13, 2021, 09:42:18 AM »
Progeny reveals that they played the same set list every night, so there aren't any other songs that weren't already released on Yessongs.  In fact, Yessongs contains a few tracks from the Fragile tour (you can tell because Bill Bruford is on them) to help fill out the three original LPs, now two CDs.  It wasn't like that, though; they're not "filler" tracks or anything.  They just included material from different tours because they wanted their first live album to be a big deal, a triple LP.

I totally forgot about that box set. But then for some reason I think I had falsely assumed that it was from the previous tour with Bill. Probably was a smart move to pick one of those up when it was 1st released.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2893 on: July 13, 2021, 11:24:03 AM »

Though that does make me wonder why there isn't a bumper release of Yessongs+ including more of the material recorded from these shows?

But there isn't much of anything that wasn't included on the album.  It was, after all, a triple album with over two hours of music.

Wikipedia indicates that the tracks on Yessongs were recorded at 6-8 shows on the Fragile and Close to the Edge tours:  Feb. 19 and/or 23, 1972; Nov. 1, 12, 15 and 20, 1972; and Dec. 15 and/or 16, 1972.  Assuming those dates are accurate, and assuming the set lists on setlist.fm are accurate, the songs on Yessongs are the ONLY songs performed at any of those shows, with two exceptions:  (1) Clap (performed at most of those shows); and (2) South Side of the Sky (performed as a second encore only at the Feb. 19, 1972 show.  The Feb. 19 and/or 23, 1972 shows were from the Fragile tour and are indicated as the source for the recordings of Perpetual Change and Long Distance Runaround/The Fish.

Progeny releases al the November shows, and I think the 15th is the show on the video, so only the Bruford shows from February remain unreleased in their entirety.

Offline devieira73

Offline devieira73

« Reply #2895 on: July 23, 2021, 06:10:57 AM »
YES launch video for The Ice Bridge; first track taken from the forthcoming new album The Quest: https://youtu.be/PbGEa7ju8bg

Pre-order 'The Quest' now here: https://yes-band.lnk.to/TheQuest

YES, who are Steve Howe, Alan White, Geoff Downes, Jon Davison and Billy Sherwood, recently announced they will release their new studio album The Quest on InsideOutMusic/Sony Music on 1st October 2021. The album was produced by Steve Howe.   "Much of the music was written in late 2019 with the rest in 2020. We commissioned several orchestrations to augment and enhance the overall sound of these fresh new recordings, hoping that our emphasis on melody, coupled with some expansive instrumental solo breaks, keeps up the momentum for our listeners,” said Steve.

The Quest was recorded across the globe. The sessions took place in the UK with Steve Howe, Geoff Downes & Jon Davison, while Alan White & Billy Sherwood got together in the studio in the US. “Billy Sherwood and myself did all the rhythm sections, bass and drum, in America,” says Alan White, “down in Los Angeles at Uncle Studios, where he works a lot. It helps when you’ve got a good place to work,” Alan laughs, “and Billy’s really good on the recording desk, so we got things down relatively quickly.  I spent quite a while studying the music before I went down to LA so I was prepared.”

YES are pleased to reveal the first track to be taken from the album - "The Ice Bridge" - watch the video here: https://youtu.be/PbGEa7ju8bg

Alan White comments: “I’m extremely proud to be a part of this music and believe the video graphics are outstanding. A collaboration of many talents coming together to produce ‘The Ice Bridge’.   I hope our fans/audiences will appreciate the creativity put forward. I’m pleased to share it with the world and hope everyone will enjoy the ride.”

Steve Howe adds: “’The Ice Bridge’ opens the album in the dark and moody key of C minor, aided by the orchestra. The rolling bass part kicks things into gear as the vocals and guitars start a winding journey through the various structures till the breakdown happens, where ice breaking is heard.”

Jon Davison was working with Geoff Downes on The Ice Bridge (Davison/Downes), looking at the dangers of climate change. He explained how he sets about collaborating with his bandmates.

“Usually what happens is each member is left to write their respective parts and put their stamp on things. Geoff sent me a selection of exciting and often gorgeous snippets he had created and made it clear that he wished I experiment freely and develop as needed. This, in turn, gave me the confidence to take on the vocal role - lyrics, vocal melody and harmony, how the vocals are presented and uniquely phrased - but all the while striving to stay faithful to Geoff’s initial ideas.”

“Jon’s vocals are fantastic,” adds Geoff Downes, “he’s really come into his own as a YES vocalist. This time he’s started to get the writing side together and working with the other musicians has been developmental for him. I think he’s hit a rich seam on this one.”

The Quest is also now available for pre-order on various formats, including a Limited Deluxe Box-Set that features a Gatefold 180g 2LP on exclusive colored vinyl, 2CD+Blu-ray Digipak (featuring 5.1 mix & backing tracks), 36-page perfect-bound booklet, enamel pin badge, 60x90cm poster, slipmat & hand-numbered certificate of authenticity, all housed in a rigid lift-off box. 

Containing 11 songs, 8 on the main CD with 3 extra tracks on a bonus CD, The Quest will also be available as Limited 2CD+Blu-ray Artbook, 2CD Digipak, Gatefold 2LP+2CD & as Digital Album.

The Quest - 2CD Digipak tracklisting:

CD1:
01. The Ice Bridge 7.01
02. Dare To Know 6.00
03. Minus The Man 5.35
04. Leave Well Alone 8.06
05. The Western Edge 4.26
06. Future Memories 5.08
07. Music To My Ears 4.41
08. A Living Island 6.52

CD2:
01. Sister Sleeping Soul 4.51
02. Mystery Tour 3.33
03. Damaged World 5.20

Formats are:
•Limited Edition Deluxe 2LP & 2CD plus Blu-ray Box-set
•Limited Edition 2CD & Blu-ray Artbook
•Gatefold 2LP & 2CD plus LP-booklet
•2CD Digipak
•Digital Album

Cover artwork designed and created by the band’s long-term collaborator Roger Dean.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2896 on: July 23, 2021, 07:25:09 AM »
I will wait for the full album, but I am looking forward to reading your reactions.  :tup

Offline devieira73

« Reply #2897 on: July 23, 2021, 08:03:43 AM »
Good song, at least, the band sounds like back from the dead (specially White). :tup

Offline Lupton

« Reply #2898 on: July 23, 2021, 10:09:44 AM »
Remember the 1st time I listened to H&E. A few seconds in I thought: "Hey, is this the theme to Top Gun?" Now, here we have the lead off song from the new album. A few seconds in I think: "Hey, is this ELPowell's Touch N Go?".  If Yes continues to make new music, I hope they continue this trend of intro fake-outs in opening tracks!  :lol

In all seriousness though, sounds much better than H&E already. Isn't great, but certainly has some interesting bits. Jon D's choice of vocal melodies are...different. The ending doesn't really go anywhere. But, overall an improvement. If the rest of the album is on this level...well I would say it is not a bad album.  I guess that's something.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2899 on: July 23, 2021, 10:29:18 AM »
I thought that was "Touch and Go" by ELPowell at first! 

EDIT:  NINJA'D BY LUPTON!   

Also, at 0:35 the right hand "tower" looks like it's giving us the finger.  Incorrectly, I might add, but still.  :)

I like it, though.  It's not "Going For The One", but it's good.   It sounds a bit like "Arc Of Life", which is not a bad thing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2900 on: July 23, 2021, 11:45:45 AM »
Just listened... And I can't see a desire to listen again coming. I'll check out the album of course, but my expectations are very low. I actually stopped H&E halfway through and never returned to it, so the bar is painfully low.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2901 on: July 23, 2021, 02:01:36 PM »
It's a pleasant song with a similar vibe and feel to Fly From Here.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2902 on: July 23, 2021, 06:00:18 PM »
I liked Fly From Here (lost my copy, for some reason it's not on my hard drive, and the only version I can find out there is the re-released version, which is different... so I haven't heard it in a long time...)

but I didn't like Fly From Here THAT much, so I'm not overly excited over this new album. No Squire, no Anderson, no Wakeman, but Howe and White are there??
Hmmmm... I'll hold off on opinions until I hear the music.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2903 on: July 23, 2021, 09:22:49 PM »
The new song is alright
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2904 on: July 24, 2021, 11:47:33 AM »
I liked the song ok.  The solo section is my favorite part of the song with the dueling guitar/ keys and reoccurring themes.
It's still really hard for me to warm up to Yes without Jon Anderson on Vocals.  His voice would have done that song a huge service..