Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 264430 times)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #245 on: March 12, 2010, 04:18:23 PM »
Well from the sound of it it's all downhill from here.  :-\ It's too bad. Everything up to 90125 has been amazing.

Check out Big Generator, I like that album MUCH more than 90125.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #246 on: March 14, 2010, 11:07:18 PM »
We agree mostly, so I guess I'll just say Thanks for reading and responding!  I do tend to go on a bit when Yes is involved.

Moraz definitely brought a different dynamic to Yes, and a lot of Yesfans think a second album with him on keys could have been really interesting.  Supposedly he helped write some of what became Going for the One, but never got writing credit (he got a "Thank You" in the liner notes) for the same reason Wakeman rarely got proper writing credits: label politics.

Anyway, I've loved Moraz's work with Yes and even The Moody Blues, but to me, he's one of those musicians who really works better in collaboration with others, not so well solo.  There's nothing wrong with that.  Not every musician is a performance major and has everything it takes to make a good solo album.

I don't mind.  Keep going whenever you feel like it.

I KNOW I go overboard whenever Rush is involved.

I've not heard many Yes boots. The only one I have is on tape and it's from Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City from 1975 I think. I liked what I heard. I've not heard any Moraz solo work either.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #247 on: March 18, 2010, 09:37:55 PM »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #248 on: March 20, 2010, 06:41:13 PM »
My copy of Symphonic Live arrived in the mail yesterday.

It's amazing, to be quite honest. It has probably the best live version of "Close to the Edge" that I've heard and the versions of "Gates of Delirium" and "Ritual" are both fantastic, especially the extended jam in "Ritual".

Overall totally worth it, even the 3 songs from Magnification went over well in a live setting.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #249 on: March 20, 2010, 08:37:53 PM »
Hey, I happen to love the majority of Magnification.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: March 20, 2010, 08:46:10 PM »
Never really put the time into any Yes albums after 90125, but "Don't Go" is a fantastic, underrated song.  The type of song that could have been written by a younger band and become a huge hit.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #251 on: March 20, 2010, 09:00:17 PM »
Hey, I happen to love the majority of Magnification.

Me too, that and The Ladder are pretty awesome albums by a band that was over 30 years old when they made them.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #252 on: March 20, 2010, 09:15:20 PM »
Anyone gonna catch any of of the Yes/Frampton dates? I might go to Mohegan Sun to see them... I hope they change up the set though because I JUST saw them last month.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #253 on: March 20, 2010, 11:05:08 PM »

It's amazing, to be quite honest. It has probably the best live version of "Close to the Edge" that I've heard and the versions of "Gates of Delirium" and "Ritual" are both fantastic, especially the extended jam in "Ritual".

Overall totally worth it, even the 3 songs from Magnification went over well in a live setting.

I love Symphonic Live.  "Close to the Edge" as an opening number is brazen, but works.  "And You And I" with real strings playing those broad, amazing lines we've only ever heard played on a Mellotron is very cool also.  For an added bonus, some of the girls in the orchestra are really cute.  I'm just sayin'.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #254 on: March 21, 2010, 06:18:22 PM »

I love Symphonic Live.  "Close to the Edge" as an opening number is brazen, but works.  "And You And I" with real strings playing those broad, amazing lines we've only ever heard played on a Mellotron is very cool also.  For an added bonus, some of the girls in the orchestra are really cute.  I'm just sayin'.

I never picked this one up (Haven't found it in the used bins yet). I've got Live at the House of Blues (which I think was the live album before that).

I've also got the Symphonic Music Of Yes (which is essentially Anderson, Bruford and Howe with Wakeman being replaced by the London Philharmonic and a chamber orchestra and choir if I'm not mistaken).  David Palmer and Alan Parsons were involved in this as well. I think it was released around the time Talk came out as some sort of contractual obligation album, but I really have no idea.

It's been ages since I've listened to it. The only nod to the Rabin years was "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" obviously.  "Close To The Edge" in an abbreviated form is on there along classics like "Heart Of The Sunrise" and "Starship Trooper."

It's also been ages since I've put on Magnification. I'm always more likely to put on The Ladder from that period.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #255 on: March 21, 2010, 09:57:33 PM »
Yes needs a strong keyboard player, and Igor Khoroshev is capable, but didn't really blow anyone away.  When they decided to just have a real orchestra instead of keyboards (most of the time), it seemed like the punchline to a joke, but it also was a cool idea, and for the most part I like Magnification.  I think it worked.

Magnification and The Ladder are pretty different, though, and maybe for that reason I've never considered this to be a "period" of Yes.  The period of great wandering, perhaps.  Open Your Eyes is another oddball from this period.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #256 on: March 21, 2010, 10:03:25 PM »
I really hope they release something new soon, if that happened then they'd have music spanning over six decades.

But I think that after all the nostalgia tours they are ready to perhaps go back to the studio and try to make some music that looks back to the 70s. Who knows, maybe something great will come out of it?
space cadet, pull out.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #257 on: March 21, 2010, 10:20:47 PM »

I've also got the Symphonic Music Of Yes (which is essentially Anderson, Bruford and Howe with Wakeman being replaced by the London Philharmonic and a chamber orchestra and choir if I'm not mistaken).  David Palmer and Alan Parsons were involved in this as well. I think it was released around the time Talk came out as some sort of contractual obligation album, but I really have no idea.

Wait, so none of the band plays on that record? Or Squire does? I saw that CD in the store before but I was a little confused.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #258 on: March 21, 2010, 10:22:12 PM »

Wait, so none of the band plays on that record? Or Squire does? I saw that CD in the store before but I was a little confused.

I think he meant ABWH minus Wakeman.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #259 on: March 21, 2010, 10:23:52 PM »
Oops, you're right. Misread that. I really wish I picked up that CD when I saw it in stores, but I think I saw it pretty cheap online too.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #260 on: March 21, 2010, 10:29:54 PM »
Oops, you're right. Misread that. I really wish I picked up that CD when I saw it in stores, but I think I saw it pretty cheap online too.

If you mean the sole ABWH studio album, then yes, it's awesome. If anything it really shows how crucial Squire is to the mix because its sincerely lacking prominent bass, but other than that it's awesome.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #261 on: March 21, 2010, 10:32:42 PM »
Nope, I was talking about the Symphonic Music of Yes album. I already have ABWH, and it is indeed an absolutely killer album! The Meeting is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard, I think.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #262 on: March 21, 2010, 11:01:53 PM »
Yea that song is interesting because Jon mentions the word "Lord", whereas he usually had a more ambiguous way of mentioning a creator.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline DREAMS FTIME45

« Reply #263 on: March 21, 2010, 11:53:49 PM »
If you love Yes come join me on yesfans folks.
Simple.
www.yesfans.com

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #264 on: March 21, 2010, 11:57:03 PM »
Are you even allowed to blatantly advert sites like that?

Anyways, I don't really like that website anyway.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: March 22, 2010, 01:33:37 AM »
Yeah, I made an account then took one look at the layout of the forum and never went back.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #266 on: March 22, 2010, 09:43:47 AM »
Yeah, I made an account then took one look at the layout of the forum and never went back.

:lol Yea same here.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #267 on: March 22, 2010, 09:57:27 PM »

It still amuses me how they use the London Philharmonic and chamber orchestras as well as a gospel choir to essentailly fill in for Wakeman.

I'd imagine you can get this at a reasonable price. It's probably out of print, but I doubt there's a huge demand for it. 

I like it, but it's more of a curiosity. While there are some really cool interpretations, I wouldn't consider any of those versions to be definitive in any way. It's enjoyable to listen to once in a while.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #268 on: March 22, 2010, 10:27:10 PM »

:lol Yea same here.
Me too. I think I got about ten post into it and fell asleep.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #269 on: March 30, 2010, 02:41:59 PM »
Thread bump to say that I'm listening to And You And I, the most beautiful song ever written. 

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: March 30, 2010, 02:52:01 PM »
Thread bump to say that I'm listening to And You And I, the most beautiful song ever written. 

Not sure if I'd call it THE most beautiful, but it definitely is up there.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #271 on: March 30, 2010, 03:01:21 PM »

Not sure if I'd call it THE most beautiful, but it definitely is up there.
:tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #272 on: March 30, 2010, 03:40:29 PM »

I just love is song. Seeing them play it many times live, it still sound fresh to me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #273 on: March 31, 2010, 07:18:14 PM »

I just love is song. Seeing them play it many times live, it still sound fresh to me.

It's timeless. One of my favorites.

I've always liked side two better than side one on that album anyway.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #274 on: March 31, 2010, 09:19:40 PM »

It's timeless. One of my favorites.

I've always liked side two better than side one on that album anyway.

:omg:

I don't think SK has anything on CTTE. And You And I gives it a run for its money though.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #275 on: April 01, 2010, 11:43:53 AM »
"Siberian Khatru" is amazing.  I do like "And You And I" but consider it the weakest of the three songs on that album.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: April 01, 2010, 12:17:13 PM »
"Siberian Khatru" is amazing.  I do like "And You And I" but consider it the weakest of the three songs on that album.

This.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #277 on: April 01, 2010, 03:36:13 PM »
Calling any of the songs from a classic like Close to the Edge "the weakest" is like calling the girl in last place at the Miss Universe pageant "the ugliest."  "Least best" and "least attractive" are much more appropriate, respectively, me thinks. ;)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #278 on: April 01, 2010, 03:38:04 PM »
"Siberian Khatru" is amazing.

I think the bonus track of the demo of SK that came with the reissue of CTTE is better than the version that made it to the studio album.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #279 on: April 01, 2010, 03:55:49 PM »
Calling any of the songs from a classic like Close to the Edge "the weakest" is like calling the girl in last place at the Miss Universe pageant "the ugliest."  "Least best" and "least attractive" are much more appropriate, respectively, me thinks. ;)

Can you imagine Miss New York playing An You and I as part of her talent segment! :D
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC