Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 264694 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #2205 on: March 07, 2019, 09:52:23 AM »
I find it interesting that on the two last tours Yes tours with Rabin (1994 and this most recent one), Rhythm of Love was played, but Love Will Find a Way was not, when the latter was the much bigger hit.  Neither Leave it nor It Can Happen were played on either tour either.  Makes me wonder why none of those songs were played. 

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2206 on: March 07, 2019, 10:55:44 AM »
I find it interesting that on the two last tours Yes tours with Rabin (1994 and this most recent one), Rhythm of Love was played, but Love Will Find a Way was not, when the latter was the much bigger hit.  Neither Leave it nor It Can Happen were played on either tour either.  Makes me wonder why none of those songs were played.

I usually question Yes set lists.  It seems like each current and former member of Yes has an aversion to playing certain things.  With Howe, it's no Rabin material.  With Wakeman, it's no material from Relayer or Drama.  Jon, no Drama.  Rabin seems to only want to do the same 70's songs he's always done, plus Awaken.  Etc.  So we get the same tired material as always, with few exceptions, like them playing In the Presence Of with Wakeman or actually getting Mind Drive or Footprints on the 2003/2004 tours.

Although, I just checked out their current set lists, and it looks like they're playing Parallels and Madrigal in the main set, and No Opportunity Necessary, No Experience Needed in the encore.  That's something.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2207 on: March 08, 2019, 12:06:27 AM »
#3. The More We Live (Let Go)

Your #3 is an interesting choice.  What about that song resonates with you? 

I absolutely adore the ambiance of the song (lol alliteration). It has such a way of moving me into its world, & I love songs that have the ability to do that to me (Queensryche's Disconnected and Ayreon's Comatose are also good examples). I also really love the melodies. The "it's time to reach the goals we set for ourselves" section especially brings me to tears, & every time it transitions into the chorus I get chills. It's such a beautiful song & I think it's extremely underrated among Yes fans.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2208 on: March 08, 2019, 12:49:26 AM »

I absolutely adore the ambiance of the song (lol alliteration). It has such a way of moving me into its world, & I love songs that have the ability to do that to me (Queensryche's Disconnected and Ayreon's Comatose are also good examples). I also really love the melodies. The "it's time to reach the goals we set for ourselves" section especially brings me to tears, & every time it transitions into the chorus I get chills. It's such a beautiful song & I think it's extremely underrated among Yes fans.
Oh I love this song too. Beautiful melodies and a very captivating vibe, a song with Alot of depth.
My question is, what is there not to like about this song??
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2209 on: March 08, 2019, 02:41:07 AM »
The More We Live (Let Go) is one of the few gems of the OnionUnion record. I wouldn't put it in my top 10 but I still love that song. Great moody atmospheric piece.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline DTA

« Reply #2210 on: March 08, 2019, 05:50:17 AM »
The More We Live (Let Go) is one of the few gems of the OnionUnion record. I wouldn't put it in my top 10 but I still love that song. Great moody atmospheric piece.

I actually think the high point of Union is the minute-long Evensong. I wish this would've been expanded a bit more and turned into a real song.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2211 on: March 08, 2019, 06:41:31 AM »
Co written by Billy Sherwood.  Atmospheric is his strength as a writer.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2212 on: March 08, 2019, 06:55:36 AM »
That might explaing why The Ladder is such a good album.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2213 on: March 08, 2019, 06:55:42 AM »

Oh I love this song too. Beautiful melodies and a very captivating vibe, a song with Alot of depth.

It's one of my favorites from Union as well.  I think it would have been interesting if YesWest had continued with Billy Sherwood as their front man after Jon Anderson left to do ABWH.  If you had taken the four YesWest songs from Union and added Love Conquers All from the YesYears boxset you would have had a good start to a solid album, I think.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #2214 on: March 08, 2019, 07:08:06 AM »

Count me as another one who really loves that song, especially for that ambiance. Definitely my favorite song from Union and one of my favorites overall.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2215 on: March 08, 2019, 08:44:28 AM »
I don't remember much of the back half of Union, because I always thought it was trash.  From the first half, I do like Lift Me Up, Miracle of Life and Shock to the System all quite a bit.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2216 on: March 08, 2019, 09:49:20 AM »
I don't remember much of the back half of Union, because I always thought it was trash.  From the first half, I do like Lift Me Up, Miracle of Life and Shock to the System all quite a bit.
My fav tracks from the second half of Union are Miracle of Life, The More We Live Let Go, and Silent Talking. All three great songs.
 " it doesn't rain, it doesn't doesn't rain,,,  TRUE" 🎶
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #2217 on: March 08, 2019, 09:50:36 AM »
I've always had a soft spot for Holding On as well, but a bit of that might be nostalgia since I really liked that song as a kid.

I could do without Dangerous (What The Hell Was That Drum Break) though.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2218 on: March 08, 2019, 09:57:54 AM »
That drum part is bombastic. It reminds me of some fat happy dude dancing around a bonfire hoping that it will bring the rain.  :lol

Offline DTA

« Reply #2219 on: March 08, 2019, 11:12:13 AM »

Miracle Of Life falls apart after the first 2 minutes, but that may be the most exciting 2 minutes from the entire YesWest lineup. I wish the rest of the song attempted to tie into that intro. Shock To The System is awesome, I don't care who plays on it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2220 on: March 08, 2019, 12:15:26 PM »
Ok the strongest Union tracks.
I Would Have Waited Forever
Shock to the System
Lift Me Up
Miracle of Life
Silent Talking
The More We Live Let Go
Saving My Heart

This is the album that got me into Yes.  I know the band doesn't like the album and I think they're crazy!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2221 on: March 08, 2019, 03:19:23 PM »
ALL of Union is great. :D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2223 on: March 08, 2019, 03:45:27 PM »
 :lol

Hey wait a second.....

Btw, Rick Wakeman used to call the album "Onion" because it made him cry listening to it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline DTA

« Reply #2224 on: March 08, 2019, 05:05:53 PM »
It's not THAT bad. Sure, Dangerous is goofy as shit, Angkor Wat is pointless, and the band members barely play on it, but the songs are pretty catchy and fun.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2225 on: March 08, 2019, 09:15:58 PM »
It's not that good, though.  Even though it has a few songs I like, there are only two Yes albums I'd put below it for sure (Heaven and Earth & Tormato), and maybe one more depending on what day it is (Fly from Here).

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2226 on: March 08, 2019, 10:29:19 PM »
It's not that good, though.  Even though it has a few songs I like, there are only two Yes albums I'd put below it for sure (Heaven and Earth & Tormato), and maybe one more depending on what day it is (Fly from Here).

not Open Your Eyes?  :omg:

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2227 on: March 09, 2019, 03:06:31 AM »
Last time I ranked the Yes albums, the only one that ended up below Union was the debut. I find it odd that such a huge and complex record like Union doesn't have a single memorable moment. I recall Silent talking being tolerable, but that's about it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2228 on: March 09, 2019, 06:57:44 AM »

not Open Your Eyes?  :omg:

Open Your Eyes isn't great, but it is solid, and most of the songs are likable.  I remember it coming out the same month as Keys to Ascension 2 back in 1997, and thought it was cool to have two new Yes albums that were not like each other, so I enjoyed both quite a bit. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2229 on: March 09, 2019, 07:28:11 AM »
Same here.  I like Open Your Eyes.  I avoided it for a long time because I was so bummed that the "classic" lineup had broken up again that I didn't give it a chance, and it was pretty bizarre how their final album came out within weeks of the first album by the new lineup.  Also, the cover was boring and I'd heard the single (the title track) and it was okay, but money was tight at the time, so it was not worth the risk.

When I finally got it years later, it was a batch of regular songs, no epics, but most were catchy and it all sounded great.  The Yes harmonies, Howe's guitars, Squire's bass, everything was there except for a strong keyboard performance, but Wakeman had already been hit or miss for a while.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2230 on: March 09, 2019, 07:40:00 AM »
It's in the lower tier for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2231 on: March 09, 2019, 08:33:19 AM »
Same here.  I like Open Your Eyes.  I avoided it for a long time because I was so bummed that the "classic" lineup had broken up again that I didn't give it a chance, and it was pretty bizarre how their final album came out within weeks of the first album by the new lineup.  Also, the cover was boring and I'd heard the single (the title track) and it was okay, but money was tight at the time, so it was not worth the risk.

When I finally got it years later, it was a batch of regular songs, no epics, but most were catchy and it all sounded great.  The Yes harmonies, Howe's guitars, Squire's bass, everything was there except for a strong keyboard performance, but Wakeman had already been hit or miss for a while.

The harmonies were what really stood out to me when I first heard Open Your Eyes; tons of catchy vocal harmonies all over the place. Some of the songwriting was clunky, but with so many good harmonies all over the place, it was hard to not like it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2232 on: March 09, 2019, 09:13:36 AM »
I totally agree. It Can Happen would be incredible in a live setting, and Love Will Find A Way should be a live staple too. 
Another song that gets no love in a live setting is Shoot High Aim Low. That is an absolute abomination that they didn't play that on the Talk tour or the most recent ARW tour. One of the cooler YES songs ever written!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2233 on: March 09, 2019, 09:25:29 AM »
Open Your Eyes is an embarrassment.  I rank it below the "lost Tomato" tracks, which are, shall we say, underwhelming.

As for Union,

I Would Have Waited Forever (with the harmonies)
Lift Me Up
Saving My Heart
Miracle Of Life
The More We Live - Let Go

are the only songs I really listen to regularly.  On my iPod I even broke the songs out to the two "groups".   The Anderson/Howe songs desperately - DESPERATELY - needed Squire's input, vocally and instrumentally.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2234 on: March 09, 2019, 09:48:00 AM »
It Can Happen would be incredible in a live setting, and Love Will Find A Way should be a live staple too. 
Another song that gets no love in a live setting is Shoot High Aim Low. That is an absolute abomination that they didn't play that on the Talk tour or the most recent ARW tour. One of the cooler YES songs ever written!

Shoot High Aim Low is probably considered too much of a deep cut from a not widely-loved album. 

As for Love Will Find a Way, after listening to it again, while they could played it in 1994, I get why not this time around.  The whole song is basically a Rabin/Squire vocal harmony, with Anderson largely in the background for most of the song, and I am just not sure it would work without Chris Squire's voice. 

All that said, the prog snobs can trash it all they want, but I am still a big fan of Big Generator as a whole.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2235 on: March 09, 2019, 10:15:50 AM »
Yeah I like BG too. I do remember hearing Shoot High Aim Low on the radio, but not in a long time. I don't really know if it would be considered a deep cut, but it is definitely a top 2 Rabin era song for me along with Endless Dream.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2236 on: March 09, 2019, 10:56:14 AM »
I always loved I Would Have Waited Forever. Surprised it hardly gets mentioned here. That 6/4-groove is sick!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2237 on: March 09, 2019, 12:21:16 PM »
I always loved I Would Have Waited Forever. Surprised it hardly gets mentioned here. That 6/4-groove is sick!
One of my favorite's off of Union.  That would be fun to hear live, the vocal harmonies in the chorus would sound so powerful. Especially after the long ascending build-up later in the song.  :hefdaddy

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2238 on: March 09, 2019, 02:26:42 PM »
Yeah I like BG too. I do remember hearing Shoot High Aim Low on the radio, but not in a long time. I don't really know if it would be considered a deep cut, but it is definitely a top 2 Rabin era song for me along with Endless Dream.

Shoot High Aim Low might be my 3rd favorite from the Rabin era after Endless Dream and Changes.  But wait, there is The Calling, and Hearts, and I Am Waiting, and Owner of a Lonely Heart, and Love Will Find a Way, and...so many good songs!!!!!! :tup :tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2239 on: March 09, 2019, 04:07:30 PM »
Listening to Open Your Eyes right now, enjoying it.  Haters are missing out.