Author Topic: VOLA appreciation thread - If Meshuggah and Depeche Mode had a baby  (Read 6535 times)

Offline Basekick

I discovered this band a few months ago and I'm already infatuated beyond belief.  I'm sure there are fans of them around here, and I imagine many who don't know who they are would fall in love just like I did.  Fans of soaring Devin Townsend choruses, Meshuggah syncopation, Depeche Mode vocals, or just prog-metal fans in general will find something to love about this band.

VOLA is a Danish band that manages to combine djent rhythm sections, 80s synths, poly-rhythms, and clean vocals to create a unique sound that just isn't found anywhere else. 

The result?  Pure bliss.  For the proper introduction check out these two songs:

Stray the Skies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Akzp5Oqww

Inmazes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8StWtCQ_Uo - (The outro starting at 4:16 is godlike)

They released their debut LP "Inmazes" just about a year ago and I for one cannot wait until their next record is released.  Anyone else here a fan of this unique band?
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline goo-goo

Re: VOLA appreciation thread - If Meshuggah and Depeche Mode had a baby
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 07:19:50 AM »
Their newest album dropped yesterday. Holy smokes. Might be my album of the year.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 07:44:24 AM »
Inmazes was a promising debut with some amazing songs. I've only listened to the new one twice and it still needs digesting, given how different it is. But either way, we're talking about a promising new prog act here.

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 01:00:33 PM »
Definitely check out the EP "Monsters" they released before Inmazes. It's only 20 minutes long but it's awesome all the way through.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 01:58:01 PM »
I've been aware of this band for a while and I thought I checked out Inmazes a while back. Turns out I actually didn't. Anyway, I knew they had a new album coming out and I've really been keeping on top of new releases this year.

I listened to Applause of a Distant Crowd earlier and really liked it. Went back and listened to the debut as well. Well, as usual I'm in the position where I have a new band I want to delve into and no money to do it (planning a wedding and buying our first home). Damn you DTF!! You always do me this way and I keep coming back for more, every time  :lol

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 09:02:21 PM »
Been a huge fan of VOLA since their debut LP! Played them numerous times in the DTF plug.dj room :D. Had been surprised more people haven't discussed them here but newer bands seem to take a while to grow on folks even in the prog community. THIS is a great band! :tup

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 11:32:26 PM »
I've had their debut saved in Spotify for a year or so and have dipped into it from time to time. Didn't know they had a new one out and just listened to the first two tracks. Sounds excellent. Thanks for the heads up!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 12:55:21 AM »
For a few months now VOLA has been playing hard in my spotify, the new album is really good! Can't say yet if it's better than Inmazes but we will see. Interesting really that there's no former conversation going on about this band!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 10:19:50 AM »
just happened into this band by chance recently. Took a brief listen to a couple of tracks from the new one and it sounds promising. From what little I heard it seems there is a Skyharbor vibe?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 10:57:55 AM »
just happened into this band by chance recently. Took a brief listen to a couple of tracks from the new one and it sounds promising. From what little I heard it seems there is a Skyharbor vibe?

Their new album to me sounds more like Katatonia.

By the way, the new Skyharbor is also a great album. 

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 10:58:32 AM »
I honestly coudln't get into them, even though plenty of comments and reviews compared them to Mew doing Metal.

But they also mentioned Djent/Meshuggah and I honestly can't be bothered by 95% of artists that use "djent."

so I guess their new album has no Djent?..I am going to give it a go, with very low expectations mind you.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 11:03:58 AM »
I haven't stopped listening to this record since it came out.  Quite possibly my album of the year.  Overall, I think it's a great evolution from Inmazes. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 04:57:58 AM »
So I've been listening to both albums quite a bit over the last few weeks. I heard their latest first, even though I had already heard the odd song off Inmazes. I pulled the trigger and purchased both at the same time. I've come to the conclusion that although I really wanted to like the latest, it's just not as good as their debut, in my opinion.

Online me7

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 06:55:14 AM »
Yes. Also make sure you listen to the Monsters EP. It's short but filler-free.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2018, 07:08:47 AM »
I absolutely love their newest album "Applause from a Distant Crowd". It's very catchy, has some great riffs, and the sound to me is very refreshing. This is the album of the year for me.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 12:44:17 PM »
Yes. Also make sure you listen to the Monsters EP. It's short but filler-free.

It's a 'name your price' purchase on Bandcamp, I'm on it  :metal

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2018, 12:59:19 PM »
I absolutely love their newest album "Applause from a Distant Crowd". It's very catchy, has some great riffs, and the sound to me is very refreshing. This is the album of the year for me.

Agree! Loving this album and it has been on my playlist since the release.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 04:35:49 AM »
Just saw the announcement they're supporting Haken on their European tour. Guess I'll have to give them a listen now!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 08:52:43 AM »
I just got their new album a week ago.  I really like it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JLa

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 02:31:14 PM »
The song "We are thin air" is phenomenal.

Offline TexansDT

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 06:10:22 PM »
Might have to agree with goo on this one... another incredible recommendation from DTF.  Can't stop listening to this album.

Just saw the announcement they're supporting Haken on their European tour. Guess I'll have to give them a listen now!
Welp, looks like I gotta tell the family we're moving to Europe.
If I seem superhuman, I have been misunderstood...

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2019, 04:59:44 PM »
Applause Of A Distant Crowd has grown on me a lot. I like how it's mostly focused on melody and cool synth stuff, but Smartfriend is still a total banger. I like the title track a lot too, for completely different reasons.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2019, 11:47:24 AM »
Thanks to Kattle, I have discovered this amazing band. It's exactly the music I need right now.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2019, 12:31:22 PM »
Thanks to Kattle, I have discovered this amazing band. It's exactly the music I need right now.

Superb band. Applause was my favorite release from last year and it's still alive and kicking and getting constant replays. Very solid effort.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2021, 07:15:48 AM »
VOLA RETURN WITH BRAND NEW STUDIO ALBUM 'WITNESS'

New Album: Witness
Released: 21 May 2021
Via: Mascot Records

Also watch the video for the brand-new song “Straight Lines” here:
https://youtu.be/DhcsSfCbl7Y

Pre-Order
http://smarturl.it/Vola-MLG

The genre-welding Danish-Swedish quartet VOLA return with their brand-new album, Witness, on 21 May, released on Mascot Records. Ahead of this they have revealed the official video for “Straight Lines,” which you can see here https://youtu.be/DhcsSfCbl7Y

Witness comes nearly three years after the release of ‘Applause of a Distant Crowd,’ which saw the band go deep into the rabbit-hole, exploring society’s distractions from thoughtfulness and examined the way human relationships have evolved. Their new album goes a step further, shining a light on the subject of failed relationships, on a societal scale—the friction between leaders and followers, which is caused by the misuse of power.

The band have also revealed the stunning video for the album opener, “Straight Lines.” Discussing the song, Mygind explains, “Imagine someone being on the run from the authorities. It is becoming increasingly hard for this person to hide, which “running low on straight lines” can be seen as a metaphor. He/she can’t just choose the direct route but has to be creative to escape. Whether the hunt is real or just in the person’s head should be an open question for the listener.”

Last year the band revealed their first taster of the new album with “Head Mounted Sideways.’’ The song elegantly flows in and out of crushing riffs and hauntingly beautiful melodies all with the musical complexity that has become the hallmark of a VOLA song. “The ‘head-mounted sideways’ is another metaphor, for ‘looking the other way,’” says Asger Mygind.

VOLA wrote the songs after they returned from their successful 2019 headline tour across Europe. The tour had a string of sold-out shows along the way. It capped off an incredible two years, which had seen them also tour with Dream Theater, Anathema, Katatonia, Haken, Monuments, as well as show-stealing performances at Euroblast, Ramblin’ Man Fair, Radar Festival, Bloodstock, Damnation Fest, Tech Fest and more.

The album’s themes are entwined into both the cover art and the title as Mygind elaborates; “The cover art of the album largely inspired the title. To me, the image could either portray the close-up of an eye, or a zoomed-out image of something burning. In case of the eye, I imagine that it belongs to someone witnessing an event. Something huge and life changing. In case of burning, it is the viewer of the cover art who becomes the witness. Or maybe this burning is what the eye is looking at. No matter how I look at it, the concept of being a witness seems very present in the artwork.”

The album was produced by the band and it was mixed and mastered by the Grammy nominated Jacob Hansen (Volbeat, The Black Dahlia Murder, Amaranthe). Each song presents its unique characters, some are fictional, and real events inspire some. “24 Light-Years,” follows someone searching for a vanished relative – are they lost/dead? How deep does the story dive? “Freak,“ delves into insecurity and power, “Napalm,” represents a failed relationship and the remorse and regret that follows, whilst “Stone Leader Falling Down,” highlights bullying and the misuse of power and “Inside Your Fur,” explores the ills of nostalgia.

“Future Bird” is a heartbreaking story based on real events. “I got the idea for those lyrics after having read a Facebook post by a couple who had lost an unborn child. They told about the pregnancy and their emotions directed towards this human being they never got to meet.” He continues, “The “future bird” is a metaphor for the child who never got the chance to grow up and make a mark on the world.”

“These Black Claws” is a metaphor for addiction and the experience of being pulled back through the darkness and features electronic/hip-hop duo, SHAHMEN. Bless (vocalist in SHAHMEN) contributed all the lyrics for his verse. Mygind says, “I think his vocals contribute with a demonic vibe while adding groove to the track. The beat in the verse is very hip hop inspired, so putting rap on top feels like fulfilling the potential of that part.” The lyrics “One straw in the drain/One word that you failed to sustain” echoes over and over before the band rip into a Panzer heavy attack as the song spirals deep into a suffocating heaviness.

Always evocative, VOLA glide along, barely a breath away from their subject matter, holding the listener close and silent as you observe the journey unfold. It’s their ability to create a cinematic aesthetic that allows you to be a detached observer, but also enveloped in the narrative, pulling you deeper within the rabbit hole, following the story further down into its veins.

VOLA are Asger Mygind (vocals/guitar), Martin Werner (keys), Nicolai Mogensen (bass) and Adam Janzi (drums).

Tracklist:

1.      Straight Lines
2.      24 Light-Years
3.      These Black Claws (feat. SHAHMEN)
4.      Freak
5.      Napalm
6.      Future Bird
7.      Stone Leader Falling Down
8.      Inside Your Fur
9.      Head Mounted Sideways

Available Formats:
Glow In The Dark, 180 gram 2LP(retail)
Translucent B&W, 180 gram 2LP (MLG web exclusive)
White Marble, 180 gram 2LP (volaband.com exclusive)
CD and Digital

VOLA Online:
www.volaband.com/   
facebook.com/volaband/
instagram.com/volaband/
twitter.com/volaband   

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2021, 07:34:56 AM »
Hoping this one's as good as their last one!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2021, 07:40:09 AM »
Yeah I quite liked Applause in a Pool or whatever it was called, will be checking this one out!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2021, 08:06:09 AM »
Applause in a Pool

yes

no, seriously, hyped for this one.
Head Mounted Sideways was an excellent single.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2021, 08:09:41 AM »
Head Mounted Sideways was an excellent single.

I'll need to give it a re-listen, only heard it once and it didn't leave much of an impression. I'll try the single they just released, as well.

Online me7

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2021, 08:11:14 AM »
Applause in a Pool wasn't my cup of tea, but I love their debut and the EPs they did before. Curious what comes next.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2021, 08:12:53 AM »
I liked Applause In A Pool way more than OwlMazes, personally.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2021, 08:14:00 AM »
I think I like both about equally
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online me7

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2021, 08:54:19 AM »

I really tried, but it never really clicked for me.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2021, 09:02:57 AM »
:lol

I blame the album art, I was sure there was something about a pool

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2021, 09:10:59 AM »
Ruby Pool is a song on the album, so there's that
Squ