Author Topic: Under a Glass Moon  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
Under a Glass Moon
« on: April 23, 2016, 01:15:04 PM »
A kind member of this site told me to look at the index of songs before posting a thread about a Dream Theater song or album. I didn't find anything for this song, so here it is. Personally, I only find two dislikes for this song. I don't like the snare sound (the album suffers from it, but it's still enjoyable), and when the singer sings: "Praying for TIIIME to disappear," it gets grating the third fourth time.

Other then that, I absolutely loved Petrucci's guitar solo and the lyrics of this song. It was really spiritual, deep, and calming on the verses.
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Outcrier

Re: Under a Glass Moon
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 04:38:22 PM »
Get's obfuscated by Metropolis, Learning to Live and Take The Time, but still a great DT song nonetheless.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 06:50:13 PM »
I think it is JPs most distinct solo.  There are others of his that I think are better, but this one is unique in all his work.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 03:53:00 PM »
One of my favs from I@W and yes, JP's solo caught my attention right away.  Classic DT song.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline t-bone2112

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 07:04:35 AM »
I'll never forget seeing them for the first time on the Falling Into Infinity tour and they played it.  I watched in amazement as Petrucci played the solo perfectly!

There are generally two types of guitar players with regards to solos.  Those who try to recreate the recorded solo, and those who want to "improvise" and play it different every time they play the song.  You can argue both ways, but I like to hear the solo at least close to what was recorded.  I realize it might be boring for them, but.....