7 (8.1%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
0 (0%)
Washington Redskins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots' Day: V - Screw Goodell  (Read 218786 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots vs. Falcons
« Reply #3220 on: February 02, 2017, 11:52:35 AM »
Of course he will harp on that.  But whether they can actually stop it from happening is a different matter altogether.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3221 on: February 02, 2017, 11:58:32 AM »
See, I think just the opposite.  With Atlanta's explosive offense, I think they jump out to an early lead, and the Pats end up in catch-up mode, which then causes mistakes that Atlanta's D feasts upon.

I'm guessing this is how the game turns out. Dammit.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 12:05:10 PM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3222 on: February 02, 2017, 12:51:12 PM »
I'm going with the Patriots simply because I'm expecting a close game, which is the norm for NE in superbowls. In a close game I'll always take NE. So would most anybody else.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3223 on: February 02, 2017, 01:05:05 PM »
31-24 Pats

I think Atlanta keeps it close, but the Pats have a lead throughout the game and Atlanta is always playing catch up but can never get there.  I really don't see Atlanta winning and my gut wants me to say the Pats win by even more, but the Pats don't dominate in superbowls and the spread is 3 so I'm not going for a big win prediction.
See, I think just the opposite.  With Atlanta's explosive offense, I think they jump out to an early lead, and the Pats end up in catch-up mode, which then causes mistakes that Atlanta's D feasts upon.

I just think it's more likely Belichick outcoaches and gets the early lead although the Falcons have been great at scoring on first possession so I can easily see it going the other way as well.  I am just not going against the Pats essentially.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3224 on: February 02, 2017, 09:11:33 PM »
I think NE will win, but it's a shame how little respect the Falcons are getting.

I think ATL is a dangerous team and could very well win.  NE better bring their A game and they most likely will, but even then, ATL could still win.  They're that good.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3225 on: February 03, 2017, 01:18:33 AM »
Usually not a huge football fan (more of a casual observer), but my mom is a huge Falcons fan who is of course super happy with them making it this far. So I'm gonna be super into this one for my mom. :D

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3226 on: February 03, 2017, 07:00:52 AM »
Interesting to see a number of people picking Atlanta in this thread. I've got no horse in this race, so it doesn't matter either way to me, but I see NE winning this game and never really having the result in question throughout.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3227 on: February 03, 2017, 07:14:25 AM »
Interesting to see a number of people picking Atlanta in this thread. I've got no horse in this race, so it doesn't matter either way to me, but I see NE winning this game and never really having the result in question throughout.

Because 95% want the Pats to lose so they are voting with their heart.  It will be a close game that can go both ways.  Whatever D can make more stops or turnovers will win.  Both teams will score.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3228 on: February 03, 2017, 07:16:02 AM »
I have a feeling that Atlanta is going to have a great drive on their first possession only to end with an INT near the goal line.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3229 on: February 03, 2017, 07:19:47 AM »

Because 95% want the Pats to lose so they are voting with their heart.  It will be a close game that can go both ways.  Whatever D can make more stops or turnovers will win.  Both teams will score.

I hear ya, you know I'm a Steeler fan, so clearly I'd like to see the Pats lose, but at the end of the day either team winning won't bother me. I'm just looking at it as clearly as I can, and I agree with you, basically whatever D can slow the other team down will probably win.

More specifically, the thing that I think will screw Atlanta up is their zone coverage. After watching Brady pick apart the Steelers zone coverage, which had been playing really well the entire second half, I don't see Atlanta's D stopping Tom with any consistency. On the flip side, I can definitely see the Pats D stopping Matty Ice with some big splash plays.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3230 on: February 03, 2017, 08:20:31 AM »

Well, I want NE to win.  But my head tells me the Falcons have their number.  I think it is going to take a better defense than the Pats have to stop the Falcons offense.  And once they fall behind and are forced to play catchup and to press more and more as the game wears on, I think the Pats offense starts making mistakes.  That's what I see happening.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3231 on: February 03, 2017, 08:32:30 AM »

Well, I want NE to win.  But my head tells me the Falcons have their number.  I think it is going to take a better defense than the Pats have to stop the Falcons offense.  And once they fall behind and are forced to play catchup and to press more and more as the game wears on, I think the Pats offense starts making mistakes.  That's what I see happening.

This. I'll be pulling for the Pats big time, but Atlanta's offence is pretty impressive (scary). I think the first couple of defensive stands by the Patriots may be crucial. Three and outs, bend but don't break, and then I'll be less nervous.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3232 on: February 03, 2017, 08:37:31 AM »

I'd be willing to bet that there are way more ATL fans this weekend than NE fans.  A lot of people are sick of the Pats including myself.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3233 on: February 03, 2017, 08:46:50 AM »

I'd be willing to bet that there are way more ATL fans this weekend than NE fans.  A lot of people are sick of the Pats including myself.

I totally get that, but to me, who I root for to win and who I think will win aren't always the same team. This Superbowl is one of those times.

Like I said above, it doesn't matter to me who wins, I've got no invested interest in either team, but seeing the Pats lose after beating my Steelers would be nice I guess.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3234 on: February 03, 2017, 09:45:11 AM »
I can't blame anyone for being sick of the Pats.  I did that with other teams myself. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3235 on: February 03, 2017, 09:46:36 AM »
I was.  But then I got sick of being sick of them.  So I'm okay with them now.  :)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3236 on: February 03, 2017, 10:55:49 AM »
Don't worry, that will change again. :lol

I'm nervously excited for this game.  Big party with friends.  We've been blessed to do this 7 of the last 15 years.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3237 on: February 03, 2017, 11:02:10 AM »
Big party with friends.  We've been blessed to do this 7 of the last 15 years.

Totally.  I grew up with that and miss it now.  I am cautiously optimistic we may get to have one a few years down the road with the changes they are making with the coaching staff and GM positions, but they have a lot to prove and a long haul ahead of them, so we'll see.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3238 on: February 03, 2017, 11:12:54 AM »
Having the GM and the coach on the same page is extremely important as you know out in SF.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3239 on: February 03, 2017, 11:18:14 AM »

I'm nervously excited for this game.  Big party with friends.  We've been blessed to do this 7 of the last 15 years.
I'm kind of on the fence about this one. Some friends are likely having a superbowl party, but I'm not sure that's how I want to watch the game. More to the point, I think I'll want to watch the game. In my experience superbowl parties are rarely conducive to that. This one might be a game to watch at home with a ribeye and a bottle of wine.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3240 on: February 03, 2017, 11:22:09 AM »
I hear you. We have hosted every SB party since 44 except, ironically, the two Seahawks ones for unrelated reasons. When the game is dull, I am all about being the gracious host, filling drinks, replenishing food.... When the game is exciting, get your own beer.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3241 on: February 03, 2017, 12:09:31 PM »

I'm kind of on the fence about this one. Some friends are likely having a superbowl party, but I'm not sure that's how I want to watch the game. More to the point, I think I'll want to watch the game. In my experience superbowl parties are rarely conducive to that. This one might be a game to watch at home with a ribeye and a bottle of wine.

The thing about that is we are left alone to watch and the bonus of great food. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3242 on: February 03, 2017, 12:11:29 PM »
Where you are everybody is interested in the game. Down here there will be some people interested in seeing NE lose, but no where near vested enough to actually bother watching the game.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3243 on: February 03, 2017, 12:12:42 PM »
We are just having my brother over.  It will be fun with all of us actually watching the game (and eating and drinking).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3244 on: February 03, 2017, 12:22:51 PM »
Where you are everybody is interested in the game. Down here there will be some people interested in seeing NE lose, but no where near vested enough to actually bother watching the game.

I get that.  i watch it but not really invested and I float in and out a bit.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #3245 on: February 03, 2017, 09:48:20 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3246 on: February 04, 2017, 05:10:56 AM »
Maine follows the Falcons?  Somebody was drunk that made that map.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3247 on: February 04, 2017, 07:01:54 AM »
Coz, I believe you posted the Trump vs Hillary map by mistake.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3248 on: February 04, 2017, 10:22:00 AM »
Connecticut and Maine are pretty Pats heavy.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3249 on: February 04, 2017, 11:22:37 AM »
One year at college, my roommates and I hosted about 40 people.  We even made makeshift bleachers.  Years ago, my wife and I used to host 10-20.  TVs in the living room, basement, and the garage for smokers.  Even had an old B&W 8" in the bathroom.  The basement became the 'kids area'.  We also had plenty of space for people to sleep over.  Great memories.  Now, it's me and the wife and the dog.

Also now, ten minutes after the game, that's when the first siren from an accident will be heard in the distance, as 'Amateur Night' begins.

Prediction:  27-24 Pats. It would be fun to see these two teams play without the long commercial and half time breaks, then it would probably be 38-35.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3250 on: February 04, 2017, 06:13:00 PM »
Terrell Davis finally makes the Hall of Fame!!!!!!!!!!!!

Long overdue, but  better late than never.  :coolio :coolio :coolio

Awesome to see Kurt Warner make it, too.  :tup :tup

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3251 on: February 04, 2017, 06:17:52 PM »
Both well deserved!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3252 on: February 04, 2017, 06:25:54 PM »
Terrell Davis finally makes the Hall of Fame!!!!!!!!!!!!

They've already designed his bust.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3253 on: February 04, 2017, 06:30:21 PM »
I've got to different Night Shift Brewing beers, a 22oz bottle from Clown Shoes and 2 home brewed beers.  High % with the homebrews.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3254 on: February 04, 2017, 06:31:31 PM »
I've got to different Night Shift Brewing beers, a 22oz bottle from Clown Shoes and 2 home brewed beers.  High % with the homebrews.

Wrong thread, bro!