7 (8.1%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
0 (0%)
Washington Redskins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots' Day: V - Screw Goodell  (Read 218752 times)

Online PowerSlave

Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots vs. Falcons
« Reply #3185 on: January 30, 2017, 12:45:34 PM »
In a season littered with low-scoring games (6-6 tie after 75 minutes, anyone?), it feels appropriate that the Pro Bowl was low-scoring. Let's hope the Super Bowl (featuring a team with six 40pt+ games this season) can buck that trend.

I somewhat disagree with this. High scores don't always equal good football. Sure, everyone wants to see more than a 6-6 tie, but when points are harder to come by then it makes the points that do get scored more important. That sentence runs the risk of sounding silly, but hopefully my point comes across.

To put it another way, a 24-20 score is more exciting to me than a 50-48 score. The 24-20 score means that the points that were scored were much harder fought for and earned.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3186 on: January 30, 2017, 12:49:17 PM »
In a season littered with low-scoring games (6-6 tie after 75 minutes, anyone?), it feels appropriate that the Pro Bowl was low-scoring. Let's hope the Super Bowl (featuring a team with six 40pt+ games this season) can buck that trend.

I somewhat disagree with this. High scores don't always equal good football. Sure, everyone wants to see more than a 6-6 tie, but when points are harder to come by then it makes the points that do get scored more important. That sentence runs the risk of sounding silly, but hopefully my point comes across.

To put it another way, a 24-20 score is more exciting to me than a 50-48 score. The 24-20 score means that the points that were scored were much harder fought for and earned.

Agreed.  I prefer those 17-14 type of games than the 52-49 whoever has the ball last will win games.  Shoot outs are fun to watch and all, but I like an even good defensive match up where one play could change the game.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3187 on: January 30, 2017, 03:15:41 PM »
I think we are talking high 20's low 30's down to the wire last to have the ball type of game.

Hell, would the Pats have it any other way in Superbowls?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #3188 on: January 30, 2017, 07:03:41 PM »
I think we are talking high 20's low 30's down to the wire last to have the ball type of game.

Hell, would the Pats have it any other way in Superbowls?

That's something that I've got to hand to the Pats. The superbowls in the BB era have all been close and interesting games. Lots of memorable moments in all of those games.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3189 on: January 31, 2017, 09:58:47 AM »
No one ever remembers highly defensive games in any sport, and if they are remembered, it's for how dull they are. Goals, scores, points bring about the biggest cheers, the euphoria, what makes it the best thing ever to be a sports fan.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3190 on: January 31, 2017, 10:22:21 AM »
No one ever remembers highly defensive games in any sport, and if they are remembered, it's for how dull they are. Goals, scores, points bring about the biggest cheers, the euphoria, what makes it the best thing ever to be a sports fan.

Not true at all.   I will never forget Penn State's loss to Iowa 6-4.  Not because it was a defensive showdown, but because it was the worst game I have ever witnessed in person  :lol

But in reality, I still disagree.  People definitely remember this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XLII

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3191 on: January 31, 2017, 11:29:48 AM »
Yeah, I don't want to remember that. ;D
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #3192 on: January 31, 2017, 12:47:07 PM »

If I remember right you're from England(sorry if I got that wrong), so I don't know how much (if at all) you follow American Baseball. Some of the greatest games in that sport are low scoring games where the pitcher shuts out/dominates the opposing team. I'm a Chicago Cubs fan and one of the most memorable games for me was in 1998. We had a rookie pitcher named Kerry Wood that had one of the most amazing performances in the team's history. The opposing team's pitcher also had an amazing day. Fans of the team still talk about that single game to this day as one of the greatest games they've ever seen. The final score was 2-0 and KW struck out 20 batters that day.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3193 on: January 31, 2017, 02:31:48 PM »
Backpackgate!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3194 on: January 31, 2017, 02:51:35 PM »
Dummycoorinatorgate!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3195 on: January 31, 2017, 03:12:44 PM »
LOL. If Matt Ryan gets busted after drunkenly crashing his car in the company of two hookers with a briefcase full of blow, it'll definitely be The Patriots who are responsible.

And almost all of the Patriots superbowls have been memorable. Two last second field goals, including the upset against STL. Losing twice after circus catches. The interception on second and goal. All good games.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3196 on: January 31, 2017, 03:37:35 PM »
A story came out that Brady's mom has been ill for a year and 1/2 and she's just feeling better recently and will attend her first game this year.

So people are speculating that he got choked up when asked about his hero when he said his dad because of the strife the family has been going through.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3197 on: January 31, 2017, 06:10:46 PM »
I think nearly every story this week is about New England.  Who are they playing??  I forgot.  Oh yeah, that Falcons team that is apparently an afterthought.

Reminds me of last year when it was all about the Panthers for two weeks, and then the Broncos punched them in the mouth and won the Super Bowl. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3198 on: January 31, 2017, 06:28:37 PM »
I can't tell from N.E. but is that's what's going on out their Kev? 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3199 on: January 31, 2017, 06:35:28 PM »
their Kev?

He's our Kev!

Falcons not getting respect around here. Everyone I've talked to thinks the Pats are going to roll them. I completely disagree. The Falcons are dangerous.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3200 on: January 31, 2017, 06:39:11 PM »
There jerky.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3201 on: January 31, 2017, 07:43:34 PM »
I think NE will win, but it's a shame how little respect the Falcons are getting. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3202 on: January 31, 2017, 07:50:12 PM »
I think so too but it's one game.  If they can get a fewe turnovers.......

I still think it's a close game in the high 20's to the low 30's.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #3203 on: January 31, 2017, 08:18:02 PM »
I have a gut feeling that Atlanta is going to win this game... go Falcons  :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3204 on: January 31, 2017, 08:32:17 PM »
I know Goodell is the puppet but I want the other 31 owners to see him hand the 5th Lombardi Trophy to the Pats.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3205 on: January 31, 2017, 08:35:23 PM »
Everything I've heard has been fairly balanced between ATL and NE. Of course NE has the more compelling story lines, but I haven't felt ATL has been neglected or written off.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3206 on: January 31, 2017, 09:20:09 PM »
I know Goodell is the puppet but I want the other 31 owners to see him hand the 5th Lombardi Trophy to the Pats.

I don't think it will be the big thing some think it will, should it come to that.  He will hand it to Kraft, put on a fake smile for two seconds, and duck out of the way.  No big deal at all. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3207 on: February 01, 2017, 04:08:09 AM »
Of corse Goodell will be his same old drone he always is.  It's tge,behind the scenes where it hurts the other jealous owners.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #3208 on: February 02, 2017, 08:16:41 AM »
theringer.com (grantland 2.0) has had pretty balanced coverage/articles on both teams... only one writer actually picked the Falcons though.

I of course hope my Falcons can pull it out, but I have no idea what will happen. I see a lot of people picking NE with scores of like 30-24. I will be surprised if we are held under 30 points. Not that it can't happen, of course (look at Denver/Seattle or Denver/Carolina), but I think a lot of people are underrating the difficulty of our schedule this year and NE's relatively easy one. That being said, if our front 4 can't get good pressure on Brady (and I'm not certain they can), it's gonna be a long day for our defense.

https://theringer.com/nfl/home

#RISEUP  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3209 on: February 02, 2017, 08:32:14 AM »
I'm picking Atlanta.  I'll say 34-20.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3210 on: February 02, 2017, 08:44:35 AM »
Atlanta 27-24

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3211 on: February 02, 2017, 08:45:21 AM »
24 - 17 Pats

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3212 on: February 02, 2017, 08:50:37 AM »
Atlanta 33-28
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3213 on: February 02, 2017, 09:45:05 AM »
OK...overly defensive low-scoring games are never positively remembered, looked back fondly upon.

I'm hoping both teams score at least 25 points, if not more. I want Atlanta to win, but NE are probably going to edge it. 38-35.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3214 on: February 02, 2017, 10:53:12 AM »
Pats - 34
Falcons - 31

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3215 on: February 02, 2017, 10:55:17 AM »
I'll be happy for either team for various reasons. Rarely do the patriots get blown out so barring any injury I think they pull it out 35-24.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3216 on: February 02, 2017, 10:57:21 AM »
31-24 Pats

I think Atlanta keeps it close, but the Pats have a lead throughout the game and Atlanta is always playing catch up but can never get there.  I really don't see Atlanta winning and my gut wants me to say the Pats win by even more, but the Pats don't dominate in superbowls and the spread is 3 so I'm not going for a big win prediction.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3217 on: February 02, 2017, 11:11:21 AM »
Atl 34-30

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3218 on: February 02, 2017, 11:35:44 AM »
31-24 Pats

I think Atlanta keeps it close, but the Pats have a lead throughout the game and Atlanta is always playing catch up but can never get there.  I really don't see Atlanta winning and my gut wants me to say the Pats win by even more, but the Pats don't dominate in superbowls and the spread is 3 so I'm not going for a big win prediction.
See, I think just the opposite.  With Atlanta's explosive offense, I think they jump out to an early lead, and the Pats end up in catch-up mode, which then causes mistakes that Atlanta's D feasts upon.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3219 on: February 02, 2017, 11:42:09 AM »
If I'm Belichick, I'm harping all week long on NOT GETTING BEHIND.   Few teams can play catch-up against the Falcons, and if you can't stop them 5:00 into the first quarter, what makes you think you can stop them with 5:00 left in the game and the Super Bowl on the line.