7 (8.1%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
0 (0%)
Washington Redskins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots' Day: V - Screw Goodell  (Read 218766 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - Ryan vs. Rodgers, Pats vs. Pitt
« Reply #3080 on: January 22, 2017, 07:53:28 PM »
I knew they would go far this year, but I also knew this would be their final stop.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 08:09:42 PM by Prog Snob »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3081 on: January 22, 2017, 08:03:01 PM »
What was going on with Bob Kraft? I don't recall any speech impediments and that didn't seem like too much scotch up in the suite during the game.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3082 on: January 22, 2017, 08:06:50 PM »
NE absolutely destroyed Pittsburgh with the game plans.  Belichick showed again why he is the best coach ever, and it's not close.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3083 on: January 22, 2017, 08:17:35 PM »
Did not expect these games to be so one sided. I thought the Steelers would make it competitive and it looked like they did in the beginning but Patriots gonna Patriots. This superbowl should be another shootout. Can't wait.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3084 on: January 22, 2017, 08:44:55 PM »
What was going on with Bob Kraft? I don't recall any speech impediments and that didn't seem like too much scotch up in the suite during the game.

Bob has been slurring for a long time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3085 on: January 23, 2017, 03:11:34 AM »
Come on Falcons. Please, for the love of all things football, win your first title so the Patriots don't win their fifth. I don't think my heart can handle another Patriots Super Bowl.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #3086 on: January 23, 2017, 04:09:18 AM »
NE absolutely destroyed Pittsburgh with the game plans.  Belichick showed again why he is the best coach ever, and it's not close.

Agreed. Horrible game plan for Steelers, especially defensively. Just plain out coached.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3087 on: January 23, 2017, 04:12:04 AM »
I don't understand why they didn't use the same defensive game plan that they used when they beat them last time.  :censored

Offline contest_sanity

Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots vs. Falcons
« Reply #3088 on: January 23, 2017, 07:09:57 AM »
As an Atlanta sports fan jaded by years and years of false hopes, I will now finally allow myself to believe that the Falcons are actually good. It will be fascinating to see us square off against the genius of Belichick. Nobody has really been able to stop our offense, but if anyone can come up with a brilliant defensive scheme, it's him.
Oh yeah, and Brady's pretty good too. Although our defense has improved a lot over the season, and I think we are much better on that side of the ball than our overall numbers indicate. Should be a great game!

#RISE UP

ps -- if we lose, I will be taking like a year break from listening to Bill Simmons. His homerism is already a bit annoying; can't imagine what it's like when he's beaten your team for the championship.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:23:40 AM by contest_sanity »

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3089 on: January 23, 2017, 07:19:41 AM »
It's funny. 2 years ago, the NFC South was bashed as being the worst division in football. After sending a division champion with a losing record to the playoffs in 2014, they have sent teams to the next two Super Bowls. Funny how things can change.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3090 on: January 23, 2017, 07:24:21 AM »

Agreed. Horrible game plan for Steelers, especially defensively. Just plain out coached.

Amen. Terrible, terrible job by all involved on the Steelers coaching staff, and a lot of the players didn't show up either. Credit to the Pats for not only being prepared with a much better game plan, but also executing that plan FAR better than Pit.

I had a couple things in mind before the game that I thought the Steelers would need to do/have happen in order to win.

- Bell having a monster game
- Ben play great, not good, but great
- The D needed to get a couple big splash plays throughout

So...Bell gets hurt, Ben plays OK but definitely not great, and the D doesn't show up  :lol

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #3091 on: January 23, 2017, 07:26:26 AM »
As an Atlanta sports fan jaded by years and years of false hopes, I will now allow myself to believe that the Falcons are actually good. It will be fascinating to see us square off against the genius of Belichick. Nobody has really been able to stop our offense, but if anyone can come up with a brilliant defensive scheme, it's him.
Oh yeah, and Brady's pretty good too. Although our defense has improved a lot over the season, and I think we are much better on that side of the ball than our overall numbers indicate. Should be a great game!

#RISE UP

ps -- if we lose, I will be taking like a year break from listening to Bill Simmons. His homerism is already a bit annoying; can't imagine what it's like when he's beaten your team for the championship.

Yep, another long time Falcon fan here, but we have learned not to get our hopes up.  But this team really is different and Dan Quinn has certainly created a winning attitude in this team.  We are fast, we hit hard, quarterback at the top of his game.   A lot to feel good about.  Vegas has NE by 3.  That in itself says a lot.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3092 on: January 23, 2017, 07:40:08 AM »
As a Panthers fan, I have no love for Atlanta.  But they are certainly preferable to the dreaded Patriots, so that's who I'll root for in the Super Bowl.

Having said that, I really admire how the Patriots prepare.  Unbelievable.

One big difference that really stood out during that AFC game: NE doesn't miss tackles, and Pittsburgh does, a lot (as do most of the other teams in the league).

I don't think Brady will be able to play against Atlanta's D the same way that he did against Pittsburgh's, and I don't think NE's D will stifle Atlanta's offense the way that they do to others.  So my early pick is Atlanta.  Which means, of course, that the Patriots will hoist the Lombardi Trophy once more.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3093 on: January 23, 2017, 07:41:58 AM »

HAHA, he didn't get three words out and my wife says "He's bombed!"  Nance knew better and moved the conversation over to Belichick.    I've seen that before with him. 

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3094 on: January 23, 2017, 07:45:53 AM »
Come on Falcons. Please, for the love of all things football, win your first title so the Patriots don't win their fifth. I don't think my heart can handle another Patriots Super Bowl.

+1 Good for them.  First SB in 19 years! 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3095 on: January 23, 2017, 07:48:16 AM »
Too early to make my pick yet - I usually wait for the "head" pick till about Wednesday of game week, but couple thoughts:

I don't think the Steelers had the manpower to play man-to-man consistently against the Pats and hope to stop all phases of that offense.  It's a VERY good offense, and honestly, it could have been worse (as good a game as Hogan had, he had two or three pretty easy drops, and Edelman dropped a gimme as well).   

It wasn't the difference in the game, because Williams is good, and a different runner, but having Bell out took Brown out of the game too, and that was the difference.   If you're relying on James (who played very well) and Hamilton to be your stars against the Pats, well, it's going to be a good day up in New England.   

As to next game, "Wade Phillips", that's all I'm gonna say.   

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3096 on: January 23, 2017, 07:49:27 AM »
I've got to say I feel spoiled. I'll never see a run like this ever again in my lifetime with a team I follow.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3097 on: January 23, 2017, 07:49:52 AM »
I'm certainly not picking against the Pats, but I am rooting for Atlanta.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3098 on: January 23, 2017, 08:17:22 AM »
Well, this super bowl is good for me, rooting for both teams. I've never enjoyed the endless Patriots hate, since it's great coaching and great play that has gotten the franchise its deserved fame. I kinda root for them against all the bullshit that is hurled their way. That said, it's hard not to pull for Atlanta to win this year. I just hope it's a much closer game than either of the last games.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3099 on: January 23, 2017, 09:14:41 AM »
I don't think the Steelers had the manpower to play man-to-man consistently against the Pats and hope to stop all phases of that offense.  It's a VERY good offense, and honestly, it could have been worse (as good a game as Hogan had, he had two or three pretty easy drops, and Edelman dropped a gimme as well).   

They probably would have struggled to play man-on-man, but gosh they really, really needed to try something different. Historically, Brady has picked apart the zone coverages the Steelers run. Dick Lebeau ran pretty consistent zone looks during his tenure and Keith Butler hasn't really changed them much, meaning they have been running the same or similar zone coverage against Brady and BB for the entirety of their (Brady and BB) time together. Brady toasted them on this and made the Pittsburgh coaching staff look like the did not prepare well, or were just to stubborn to move away from their comfort zone (no pun intended).

It wasn't the difference in the game, because Williams is good, and a different runner, but having Bell out took Brown out of the game too, and that was the difference.   If you're relying on James (who played very well) and Hamilton to be your stars against the Pats, well, it's going to be a good day up in New England.   

No question. As soon as Bell was out, they were able to focus even more so on Brown and the Steelers were pretty much done.

Also - dear lord Sammie Coates and Cobi Hamilton - catch a freaking ball!  :lol

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #3100 on: January 23, 2017, 09:59:50 AM »

They probably would have struggled to play man-on-man, but gosh they really, really needed to try something different. Historically, Brady has picked apart the zone coverages the Steelers run. Dick Lebeau ran pretty consistent zone looks during his tenure and Keith Butler hasn't really changed them much, meaning they have been running the same or similar zone coverage against Brady and BB for the entirety of their (Brady and BB) time together. Brady toasted them on this and made the Pittsburgh coaching staff look like the did not prepare well, or were just to stubborn to move away from their comfort zone (no pun intended).

No question. As soon as Bell was out, they were able to focus even more so on Brown and the Steelers were pretty much done.

Also - dear lord Sammie Coates and Cobi Hamilton - catch a freaking ball!  :lol

I kind of agree with all of this. The thing that always bothered me with Cowher was the approach of "they're gonna have beat us at our game" or "we're not changing what got us here"...it appears that Tomlin has that same approach and he really doesn't game plan for each opponent separately. Any Steeler fan that watched that game probably yelled at the TV after the 1st Pats drive to switch to man on D. It's the same story every time they play, there are always receivers with absolutely no one covering them, over,and over. They also needed to find a way to pressure Brady, they just didn't. This, in my mind, is a coaching issue rather than a player issue. If they would have deployed a similar game plan as Houston, or at least made some in game adjustments, it would have been more competitive. The offense was just average, yes, there were a few drops that shouldn't have been, but the Pats had there share of drops too, the kind of drops that would have really made the game a blow out earlier. Bell getting injured didn't help, I just don't think it would've mattered. They got outplayed and thoroughly out coached.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3101 on: January 23, 2017, 10:09:19 AM »
Well, this super bowl is good for me, rooting for both teams. I've never enjoyed the endless Patriots hate, since it's great coaching and great play that has gotten the franchise its deserved fame. I kinda root for them against all the bullshit that is hurled their way. That said, it's hard not to pull for Atlanta to win this year. I just hope it's a much closer game than either of the last games.

And the cheating, can't forget the cheating :P

Should be a good game (although I also thought that about the NFC game yesterday), I'll be really curious to see how the Falcons offense matches up against the Pats defense.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3102 on: January 23, 2017, 10:10:43 AM »
I kind of agree with all of this. The thing that always bothered me with Cowher was the approach of "they're gonna have beat us at our game" or "we're not changing what got us here"...it appears that Tomlin has that same approach and he really doesn't game plan for each opponent separately. Any Steeler fan that watched that game probably yelled at the TV after the 1st Pats drive to switch to man on D. It's the same story every time they play, there are always receivers with absolutely no one covering them, over,and over. They also needed to find a way to pressure Brady, they just didn't. This, in my mind, is a coaching issue rather than a player issue. If they would have deployed a similar game plan as Houston, or at least made some in game adjustments, it would have been more competitive. The offense was just average, yes, there were a few drops that shouldn't have been, but the Pats had there share of drops too, the kind of drops that would have really made the game a blow out earlier. Bell getting injured didn't help, I just don't think it would've mattered. They got outplayed and thoroughly out coached.

Agreed. I was one of those Steeler fans yelling at my TV because it was clear from the start that Pittsburgh wasn't getting pressure and were playing soft zones. What struck me about the pass rush was that as soon as Brady started completing those Bradyish short yardage passes, they stopping trying to bring the inside LBs in on blitzes. Those inside LBs were dropping back to take zone coverage duties most of the time, that completely killed their pressure on Brady. Sure, people talk about outside LBs like Harrison getting pressure, but one of the Steelers strengths has always been leveraging inside guys in unique ways to pressure the QB. That didn't happen at all.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3103 on: January 23, 2017, 10:25:30 AM »
I've got to say I feel spoiled. I'll never see a run like this ever again in my lifetime with a team I follow.

Don't rub it in King.   :lol

Agreed.  Really tired of the Pats but I knew they would win at home.  ATL deserves to get their first SB win and I hope they do.

Just a few more notes on championship weekend.  Both games were a route by the winners.  Packers never showed up.  I believe if ATL had gone to Dallas, it would've been a much better game.  Steelers didn't really execute well and we all know that NE are masters at execution.  So, here we are.  2 weeks away from the big show.  Should be good.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3104 on: January 23, 2017, 11:19:55 AM »
This has been the worst NFL postseason that I can remember.

Only an Atlanta win over the Pats can save it.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3105 on: January 23, 2017, 11:38:42 AM »
Yeah, so that happened.

Tomlin was exposed last night as the clueless cheerleader he is. Obviously no cohesive game plan, no strategy adjustments. Rush 3 and drop the rest into soft zone and hope for some drops was his and the DC's game plan I guess. Inexcusable. Do they not remember the 2011/2012 (forgot) game when they beat NE with tight man-to-man?

As far as offense goes, it was pretty much one-on-eleven. Secondary receivers were straight-up hands-of-stone trash. No running game, didn't matter that Bell was hurt. Haley completely incapable of a game plan that didn't rely on Bell getting 150+ yards.

Finally, I am so SO SICK of the gutless, spineless, sackless conservatism of NFL coaches. McCarthy was at it again, learned NOTHING from last year. Happy to keep punting on 4th and short despite the fact that A) you have Aaron Frickin Rodgers who can pass or scramble for 2 measly yards most of the time, and B) there was no stopping the ATL offense. "field position" doesn't mean JACK SHIT when the opponent is getting 10+ yards per play. Punt the ball to them, and 2 plays later they are back to the yard line you punted from. The worst example: after the 15-yd roughing penalty, GB kicked off from the 50 into the end zone anyway instead of trying an onside kick. If the onside kick fails, you lose maybe 15 yds of field position (the 25 after the touchback vs around the 40 probably). You need to maximize your possessions when you are going against the best (by far) offense in the league. Nope, McCarthy was happy to keep giving the ball back to them. In a do-or-die game, you have FOUR chances to get your 10 yards, not THREE. Incomprehensible concept to ultra-conservative, coach-to-not-be-second-guessed cowardice of most NFL coaches.

Tomlin was at it too: punted from the the NE 39 when already well behind. Gutless, spineless, sackless. "Hey guys, after this punt we''ll gain maybe 20 yards of field position. Great strategy, right? Brady can't possiby engineer a drive from back there can he?". The whole approach to the game was cowardly, try to "ease into it" with predictable running plays instead of attacking NE where they are weaker (pass defense was not nearly good as run defense).

Patriot fans: what's it like to have a capable coach at the helm? I wish I could remember the feeling. Congrats on a great game plan and execution.

Go Falcons; would be nice to see them finally win one.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3106 on: January 23, 2017, 11:56:36 AM »
Tomlin's pretty awful. I liked when they asked him at the half what they needed to do better and his response was that it's only a 1 possession game and they just need to stick with the plan. One possession or not it was pretty obvious how things were going.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3107 on: January 23, 2017, 12:04:15 PM »
Tomlin's pretty awful. I liked when they asked him at the half what they needed to do better and his response was that it's only a 1 possession game and they just need to stick with the plan. One possession or not it was pretty obvious how things were going.

:lol For sure. As soon as I saw they were going to talk to Tomlin I told my wife to prepare for the BS. We were not disappointed.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #3108 on: January 23, 2017, 12:13:03 PM »

Yes, what a great plan they had going, why not stick with it :omg:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3109 on: January 23, 2017, 12:53:38 PM »
I want the Pats to win so I can see Goodell have to be right next to the team handing the Lombardi and the MVP trophies.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3110 on: January 23, 2017, 01:03:55 PM »
I want the Pats to win so I can see Goodell have to be right next to the team handing the Lombardi and the MVP trophies.
If he shows.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3111 on: January 23, 2017, 01:43:10 PM »
Whatever he does, don't hand it to Bob Kraft.  He'll probably drop it.  :rollin
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3112 on: January 23, 2017, 01:44:03 PM »
 :lol

Could you imagine?! :lol

Whatever he does, don't hand it to Bob Kraft.  He'll probably drop it.  :rollin

Hand it to BB's girlfriend.  Did you see her?!  Hot damn!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3113 on: January 23, 2017, 07:40:13 PM »
It's funny. 2 years ago, the NFC South was bashed as being the worst division in football. After sending a division champion with a losing record to the playoffs in 2014, they have sent teams to the next two Super Bowls. Funny how things can change.

On the flip side, the NFC West was absolutely stellar 3-4 years ago, and is now back to being not very good.

As an Atlanta sports fan jaded by years and years of false hopes, I will now finally allow myself to believe that the Falcons are actually good. It will be fascinating to see us square off against the genius of Belichick. Nobody has really been able to stop our offense, but if anyone can come up with a brilliant defensive scheme, it's him.

#RISE UP

Good luck. I hope your team wins.  :tup :tup

Yeah, so that happened.

Tomlin was exposed last night as the clueless cheerleader he is. Obviously no cohesive game plan, no strategy adjustments. Rush 3 and drop the rest into soft zone and hope for some drops was his and the DC's game plan I guess. Inexcusable. Do they not remember the 2011/2012 (forgot) game when they beat NE with tight man-to-man?

As far as offense goes, it was pretty much one-on-eleven. Secondary receivers were straight-up hands-of-stone trash. No running game, didn't matter that Bell was hurt. Haley completely incapable of a game plan that didn't rely on Bell getting 150+ yards.

Finally, I am so SO SICK of the gutless, spineless, sackless conservatism of NFL coaches. McCarthy was at it again, learned NOTHING from last year. Happy to keep punting on 4th and short despite the fact that A) you have Aaron Frickin Rodgers who can pass or scramble for 2 measly yards most of the time, and B) there was no stopping the ATL offense. "field position" doesn't mean JACK SHIT when the opponent is getting 10+ yards per play. Punt the ball to them, and 2 plays later they are back to the yard line you punted from. The worst example: after the 15-yd roughing penalty, GB kicked off from the 50 into the end zone anyway instead of trying an onside kick. If the onside kick fails, you lose maybe 15 yds of field position (the 25 after the touchback vs around the 40 probably). You need to maximize your possessions when you are going against the best (by far) offense in the league. Nope, McCarthy was happy to keep giving the ball back to them. In a do-or-die game, you have FOUR chances to get your 10 yards, not THREE. Incomprehensible concept to ultra-conservative, coach-to-not-be-second-guessed cowardice of most NFL coaches.

Tomlin was at it too: punted from the the NE 39 when already well behind. Gutless, spineless, sackless. "Hey guys, after this punt we''ll gain maybe 20 yards of field position. Great strategy, right? Brady can't possiby engineer a drive from back there can he?". The whole approach to the game was cowardly, try to "ease into it" with predictable running plays instead of attacking NE where they are weaker (pass defense was not nearly good as run defense).

I agree with just about all of this.

Pittsburgh's game plan was staggeringly bad.  Tomlin is not a bad coach by any means, but his inability to adjust in game is glaring.

Regarding gutless coaches, yes!! I cannot remember when it was, but GB punted on a 4th and short when the game was still in reach, and I remember thinking, "go for it!"  It's not like they were stopping Atlanta on defense.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3114 on: January 24, 2017, 12:40:42 AM »
Well, Patriot and Falcon fans....congratulations from a Raven fan.

And, savor this for the next to weeks, and to the victors, go the spoils.  Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_WgGpewMrs
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!