7 (8.1%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
0 (0%)
Washington Redskins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots' Day: V - Screw Goodell  (Read 218744 times)

Offline Shooters1221

Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - Ryan vs. Rodgers, Pats vs. Pitt
« Reply #3010 on: January 20, 2017, 08:24:43 AM »
Vegas is a sports betting capitol.  Should be business as usual.  Not much of a change at all.

Agreed, but I think the NHL team is more likely to struggle.  Hockey in the heat hasn't been terribly popular in the past and with 41 home games, that's a lot more seats to sell than an NFL team.

Well, they do have SJ, LA, Phoenix, Dallas, and a couple of Florida teams. They seem to be doing ok in the heat. I think Vegas is a different type of city though, it's gonna be interesting to see.

Out of all those, I believe LA is the only one doing well.  Phoenix is a disaster.  I'm not saying it'll fail, but I think it'll be more difficult than the NFL team.

SJ does well too. Yes, I agree that the NFL will be an easier sell with fans just due to the number of home games.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3011 on: January 20, 2017, 08:29:07 AM »
Vegas is a sports betting capitol.  Should be business as usual.  Not much of a change at all.

Agreed, but I think the NHL team is more likely to struggle.  Hockey in the heat hasn't been terribly popular in the past and with 41 home games, that's a lot more seats to sell than an NFL team.

Well, they do have SJ, LA, Phoenix, Dallas, and a couple of Florida teams. They seem to be doing ok in the heat. I think Vegas is a different type of city though, it's gonna be interesting to see.

Out of all those, I believe LA is the only one doing well.  Phoenix is a disaster.  I'm not saying it'll fail, but I think it'll be more difficult than the NFL team.

Bingo. I'm more curious to see if the NHL team sells well there. SJ is doing well because the team is good. LA does well because it's a long standing franchise with recent success. Phoenix is horrible, and the FL teams have started to catch on because they have actually started to compete.

I don't see the Vegas expansion team competing right away, so I'm curious to see how the franchise does when the new car smell wears off.

Also - @ Dublagent66 being a betting town doesn't necessarily mean they will support those franchises with ticket, merch, etc... sales and TV ratings. It might translate or it might not.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3012 on: January 20, 2017, 08:46:29 AM »
Yeah, I don't see the NHL getting as much support simply because it's not nearly as popular as the NFL.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3013 on: January 20, 2017, 10:34:33 AM »
I don't know much details about Oakland. Were they unable to get a new stadium deal there like San Diego?
Yup. They've been trying forever, because the Coliseum, while charming in some ways, is very old, and it's a total dump by today's standards.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3014 on: January 20, 2017, 10:38:03 AM »
It's a shame they couldn't get the money approved to do a new stadium in the same location.  That neighborhood isn't great.  But in terms of access, it is terrific.  But yeah, the stadium itself is bad.  Oracle, as old as it is, is decent, IMO.  But the outdoor stadium...no.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3015 on: January 20, 2017, 10:47:47 AM »
I don't know much details about Oakland. Were they unable to get a new stadium deal there like San Diego?
Yup. They've been trying forever, because the Coliseum, while charming in some ways, is very old, and it's a total dump by today's standards.

By trying do you mean trying to get the taxpayers to fund the development? I'm asking honestly because I don't know.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3016 on: January 20, 2017, 10:49:19 AM »
My understanding is that they have been trying for the better part of the last four decades to get finding and approval through just about every means possible, and keep getting stonewalled.  That fight has been going on since before they left Oakland the first time.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3017 on: January 20, 2017, 10:50:09 AM »
My understanding is that they have been trying for the better part of the last four decades to get finding and approval through just about every means possible, and keep getting stonewalled.  That fight has been going on since before they left Oakland the first time.

Ah gotcha, thanks!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3018 on: January 20, 2017, 11:38:36 AM »
Damn... I feel so bad for this young man. A promising career cut way too short.

Baltimore Ravens linebacker Zach Orr, the team's leading tackler this season, has retired at age 24 because of a congenital neck and spine condition, the team announced Friday.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18517245/baltimore-ravens-lb-zach-orr-retire

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #3019 on: January 20, 2017, 12:14:45 PM »

I lived out there from late 80's - late 90's and it was always bad, worse than the 'stick' and that's long gone.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3020 on: January 20, 2017, 12:34:18 PM »

I lived out there from late 80's - late 90's and it was always bad, worse than the 'stick' and that's long gone.
Me too (well, I got there before the late '80s, but was still there during the time you mention).  In fact, my first concert ever was Quiet Riot/Whitesnake/Kick Axe at what is now Oracle Arena.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3021 on: January 20, 2017, 12:34:49 PM »
I like the Falcons, something like 34 - 30.

The second game . . . everyone knows BB is a defensive guru, they've never won the SB without a good to great defense. For me this is a match between Todd Haley and BB. Will Haley be creative and dynamic with his play calling? Or will they go no-huddle like they did against Balt when they scored 3TDs in the fourth quarter? On defense, I think they need to focus on limiting those easy throws to a Edelman and take a chance with man coverage on the outside receivers.

As Cowherd said yesterday, instead of getting completely wrapped up in results, take a moment just to enjoy these games and QB matchups. Some of them may not happen again.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3022 on: January 20, 2017, 08:09:54 PM »

Baltimore Ravens linebacker Zach Orr, the team's leading tackler this season, has retired at age 24 because of a congenital neck and spine condition, the team announced Friday.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18517245/baltimore-ravens-lb-zach-orr-retire

Bummer for the team, but hopefully he got out before being disabled for life.

As Cowherd said yesterday, instead of getting completely wrapped up in results, take a moment just to enjoy these games and QB matchups. Some of them may not happen again.

Yep, I saw his take on that, too.  Hard to believe this is only the second time NE has played Pittsburgh in the Roethlisberger era (2004-present). 

We were spoiled to get five Peyton/Brady playoff games.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3023 on: January 20, 2017, 08:14:11 PM »
No Kev, I've been spoiled.  I wondered how The Steelers, SF, and Dallas did it in 3 decades growing up?

I've lived 15 years of "having a chance" every year.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3024 on: January 20, 2017, 09:03:58 PM »
What's really crazy is that every AFC Super Bowl team since 2003 has had Peyton, Brady or Roethlisberger at QB, except the 2012 Ravens.  And this year it is guaranteed to be one of them again.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3025 on: January 20, 2017, 09:07:30 PM »
By trying do you mean trying to get the taxpayers to fund the development? I'm asking honestly because I don't know.

So yes, multimillionaires are having trouble getting taxpayers to pay for their buildings.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #3026 on: January 20, 2017, 10:02:35 PM »
I like the Falcons, something like 34 - 30.

Reverse the scores and you get my thinking, although I think it'll be packers 38 falcons 28.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3027 on: January 20, 2017, 10:08:26 PM »
I'm taking the home teams for the 3rd straight week.

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #3028 on: January 21, 2017, 01:13:04 AM »

It's sad that a young man won't be able to live his dream, and use his talent in the prime of his life. However, thank the deity of your choice that he wasn't seriously injured. Hopefully he did well in college and took his studies seriously.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3029 on: January 21, 2017, 03:55:19 PM »
Well Irsay's drug haze finally wore off and he fired Grigson.  He is the main reason Luck has regressed.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3030 on: January 21, 2017, 06:26:57 PM »
Well Irsay's drug haze finally wore off and he fired Grigson.  He is the main reason Luck has regressed.
I don't know why he waited, rather than make the move when more candidates were available (several of the guys SF was going after already got raises to stay at their current teams, for instance). Or why he kept Pagano, who'll likely get fired after yet another middling season.

Of course it seems very likely that he just promotes the in-house candidate, Jimmy Raye III.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3031 on: January 21, 2017, 06:31:05 PM »
Should have been done last year!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3033 on: January 21, 2017, 09:02:00 PM »
^
The NFL has really done well with social media in the last week :facepalm:

More on Zachary Orr
https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens-zachary-orr-will-announce-retirement-today-because-of-neck-injury-20170120-story.html

It's worth the couple of minutes.  An undrafted free agent out of North Texas becomes the Ravens' leading tackler, a 2nd team All-Pro, and then his career is over at 24.  A well spoken young man from a great family.  You won't hear about these players on the Jerry Springer-ish type sports shows. 

fwiw, taking the Pats and Falcons.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3034 on: January 21, 2017, 11:39:52 PM »
Good for Pat McAfee. Everyone's been thinking it for a few years anyway.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3036 on: January 22, 2017, 08:11:58 AM »
 :lol

Lock that dumb kid up.  Btw, the kid tweeted Scott Zolak that he did it. :facepalm:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3037 on: January 22, 2017, 08:15:50 AM »
I haven't watched a game all year. Something tells me not to start today because the Steelers will give me more anxiety than I feel like dealing with.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3038 on: January 22, 2017, 09:07:31 AM »
Belichick at it again!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/fans-blame-%e2%80%98cheat%e2%80%99-patriots-after-3-am-evacuation-of-steelers-hotel/ar-AAm72LR?li=BBnbfcL

Shit like that happens in sports all the time. 

I still remember the stories about how Lawrence Taylor would pay a hooker to go keep a player up all night the night before a big game, and always the player he was most worried about on the offensive line. :lol :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3039 on: January 22, 2017, 09:22:32 AM »
NE and ATL in SB.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3040 on: January 22, 2017, 09:30:40 AM »
I'm definitely rooting for whoever come out of the NFC to win it all since Pittsburgh and New England are by far my two least favorite teams in the league. I'm not making any actual predictions for today since I'm very superstitious (cue clavichord) and I don't want to jinx anything, but as far as what I want, I would love for the Steelers to win a hard fought and physical game so that they're beat up (not injured but very sore) for the Super Bowl and then for Atlanta to beat Green Bay. I obviously want the Falcons to win the Super Bowl and the reason is because I want someone different. The other three teams have 14 Super Bowls and 21 conference titles between them while Atlanta is 0-1 in the big game. It would just be nice to see a different city get a parade for once.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3041 on: January 22, 2017, 09:34:25 AM »
I think Atlanta will win today.  GB has too many injuries in the secondary to stop the Atlanta offense, and while Rodgers can still be all-world, Nelson and Adams not being close to 100 percent really hurts them.  Plus, Atlanta is just really good; better than most realize.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3042 on: January 22, 2017, 10:02:17 AM »
I think Atlanta will win today.  GB has too many injuries in the secondary to stop the Atlanta offense, and while Rodgers can still be all-world, Nelson and Adams not being close to 100 percent really hurts them.  Plus, Atlanta is just really good; better than most realize.

I was thinking this as well.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3043 on: January 22, 2017, 12:09:33 PM »
Just locking in my predictions for the Championship games. I'm going for Packers and Patriots wins tonight. I'm hoping for lots of points in the Packers-Falcons game.

I'm 6-2 for playoff predictions after last week's games, so at least I'm guaranteed a winning record even if I get all 3 remaining games wrong.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3044 on: January 22, 2017, 12:17:06 PM »
I'm definitely rooting for whoever come out of the NFC to win it all since Pittsburgh and New England are by far my two least favorite teams in the league. I'm not making any actual predictions for today since I'm very superstitious (cue clavichord) and I don't want to jinx anything, but as far as what I want, I would love for the Steelers to win a hard fought and physical game so that they're beat up (not injured but very sore) for the Super Bowl and then for Atlanta to beat Green Bay. I obviously want the Falcons to win the Super Bowl and the reason is because I want someone different. The other three teams have 14 Super Bowls and 21 conference titles between them while Atlanta is 0-1 in the big game. It would just be nice to see a different city get a parade for once.

I agree with all of this except, I don't want to see Pitt go to the SB.  If that happened, they just might get their 7th world championship and I definitely don't want to see that.  However, I don't think they get through NE.