7 (8.1%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
0 (0%)
Washington Redskins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots' Day: V - Screw Goodell  (Read 218727 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - Dak's Giant Problem
« Reply #2275 on: December 12, 2016, 08:53:00 PM »
Figures NE starts playing like garbage when I really want them to win tonight.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #2276 on: December 12, 2016, 08:56:27 PM »
This game shouldn't even be close right now... Belichick must be livid with all the special teams gaffes  :rollin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2277 on: December 12, 2016, 09:31:07 PM »
With the exception of that one bad throw that was picked, Brady has made the Ravens D look like chumps tonight.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2278 on: December 12, 2016, 10:20:56 PM »
Harry Potter refused to say Voldemorts name because he feared him.

All the other wizards refused to say his name, Harry never had a problem saying it.

#HPNerd

On topic, I just heard Jim Harbaugh is a srong candidate for the Rams job. Even if he wants back in the NFL, and of course if makes sense for LA mgmt to make a big splash after the humdrum Fisher era, would Harbaugh really leave UM after 2 years, especially when they are a top 10, if not a top 5 program again?

And the Seahawks just dropped to 3rd place in the playoff standings, behind the Lions of all teams!

That loss was good for the Cowboys. They have room in the standings to take some lessons from a loss.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 11:04:43 PM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2279 on: December 13, 2016, 12:01:27 AM »
On topic, I just heard Jim Harbaugh is a srong candidate for the Rams job. Even if he wants back in the NFL, and of course if makes sense for LA mgmt to make a big splash after the humdrum Fisher era, would Harbaugh really leave UM after 2 years, especially when they are a top 10, if not a top 5 program again?
No way. In a couple years, maybe, but not now. They'd also probably have to pay him $10-$15 million per year. Of course Gruden's name has come up, as it has with every coaching vacancy in the last 8 years. But why would he leave ESPN, where he makes boatloads of money for doing very little work (relative to coaching)?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 09:20:46 AM by pogoowner »

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2280 on: December 13, 2016, 07:02:00 AM »
Good game Pats fans. The Pats were brilliant again. That blocked FG in the 1st was a thing of beauty. And Brady to Hogan.... damn.

If Ravens can win out, they'll win the division, but I think that Pittsburgh gets them on Christmas. We'll see.

Harry Potter refused to say Voldemorts name because he feared him.

All the other wizards refused to say his name, Harry never had a problem saying it.

#HPNerd

And the Seahawks just dropped to 3rd place in the playoff standings, behind the Lions of all teams!

That loss was good for the Cowboys. They have room in the standings to take some lessons from a loss.

It's really a win/win for Harbaugh. He can go to LA and try to stick it to the 49ers....or he can stay at Michigan where the HC is essentially God.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - Cowboys Clinch!
« Reply #2281 on: December 13, 2016, 08:18:48 AM »
Le'Veon Bell might want to remove those bulls-eye targets from his knee pads before going against Burfict next Sunday. Speaking of Bell:

Most yards from scrimmage, first 10 games played in a season:
1964 Jim Brown 1,704
2016 Le'Veon Bell 1,616
1975 OJ Simpson 1,609

Wow, that's a crazy stat. Best back in the league right now for sure. He's been playing so well since he came back from suspension. Would you sign him long term or tag him for next year?

Eeesh...  I don't know.  I know I'm going to take flack for being a homer, but what about Blount?  He made the best run defense in the league look stupid on a couple of occasions.    He flattened Weddle on one play like it was a video game.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2282 on: December 13, 2016, 08:29:59 AM »
Le'Veon Bell might want to remove those bulls-eye targets from his knee pads before going against Burfict next Sunday. Speaking of Bell:

1964 Jim Brown 1,704
2016 Le'Veon Bell 1,616
1975 OJ Simpson 1,609

Wow, that's a crazy stat. Best back in the league right now for sure. He's been playing so well since he came back from suspension. Would you sign him long term or tag him for next year?

Eeesh...  I don't know.  I know I'm going to take flack for being a homer, but what about Blount?  He made the best run defense in the league look stupid on a couple of occasions.    He flattened Weddle on one play like it was a video game.
He's a good pounder, but NE employs different backs for different purposes. It wasn't Blount making 40 yard receptions last night. I didn't see him distinguish himself in pass protection, as did White. He's an excellent situational back, but versatility matters.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2283 on: December 13, 2016, 08:33:33 AM »

Honestly, Blount is having a good year. Quick look at the stats, Bell has a couple more years than him (in less games mind you), and his yards per carry is a little better. But, Blount has more TDs this year.

Also- what Barto said. The threat Bell presents as a receiver is tremendous and opens up a lot of possibilities, that probably needs taken into account (versatility).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2284 on: December 13, 2016, 08:35:48 AM »

1964 Jim Brown 1,704
2016 Le'Veon Bell 1,616
1975 OJ Simpson 1,609

He's a good pounder, but NE employs different backs for different purposes. It wasn't Blount making 40 yard receptions last night. I didn't see him distinguish himself in pass protection, as did White. He's an excellent situational back, but versatility matters.

I agree with El Barto.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #2285 on: December 13, 2016, 10:02:06 AM »

On topic, I just heard Jim Harbaugh is a srong candidate for the Rams job.

Just think, if the Rams had made their move a bit earlier they could have gotten Lane Kiffin.  :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2286 on: December 13, 2016, 10:32:43 AM »

On topic, I just heard Jim Harbaugh is a srong candidate for the Rams job.

Just think, if the Rams had made their move a bit earlier they could have gotten Lane Kiffin.  :lol

They probably could still get him if they really wanted.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2287 on: December 13, 2016, 10:39:52 AM »
If anyone cares....

The Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland Browns and Arizona Cardinals will make their debut appearances in London next season as part of the NFL's four-game International Series slate for 2017.

The matchups, announced Tuesday by the league, will be played at Wembley Stadium and at Twickenham, a rugby stadium the NFL used for the first time this year.

Editor's Picks

London (not) calling: Packers know home, road limitations make trip unlikely

Because of the economic impact each home game has on the NFL's smallest market, the Packers refuse to give up one of their home games to play overseas.
    Jaguars have to decide if they want another early bye week in 2017

The Jaguars' bye week is typically after the London trip. But with next year's annual overseas game in Week 3 or 4, will the team request a later bye?

The Ravens will play the Jacksonville Jaguars in either Week 3 or 4 at Wembley, and the New Orleans Saints will play the Miami Dolphins in one of those weeks at Wembley. The Browns will play the Minnesota Vikings and the Cardinals will play the Los Angeles Rams at Twickenham in Weeks 7 or 8.

The Browns, Jaguars, Dolphins and Rams will be the home teams. Jacksonville is committed to playing one home game in London through the 2020 season. The league has never before played four games in one season in London.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18267996/nfl-announces-london-matchups-2017-baltimore-ravens-jacksonville-jaguars-new-orleans-saints-miami-dolphins-minnesota-vikings-cleveland-browns-arizona-cardinals-los-angeles-rams

Webpoet73 says: Thrilled that the Ravens are getting a London game. That much better that it isn't a "home" game.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2288 on: December 13, 2016, 04:38:04 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2289 on: December 13, 2016, 04:50:56 PM »
 :lol :lol

No offense, Stadler, but Blount even being in the conversation for best RB is too lol-worthy to even address. :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - No Romo? No Problem!
« Reply #2290 on: December 13, 2016, 06:05:55 PM »
A lot of changes this week...

Post-Week 14 Power Rankings
1. New England - their best is better than anybody's, plain and simple
2. Dallas - has their offense peaked?
3. Kansas City - the definition of not winning pretty, but they win
4. Oakland - Carr's finger needs to be okay for them to still have a chance for the division and a bye
5. Detroit - we'll see how good they really are the next three weeks, for now, they've earned this spot
6. NY Giants - offense still looks off, but that D is ferocious again
7. Seattle - I don't know what to expect from this team now on a week to week basis
8. Tampa Bay - D is suddenly stout
9. Atlanta - big win without their best player, albeit over a Rams team with a coach who was dead in the water
10. Pittsburgh - could be that AFC team no one wants to play in January

Trending Up:

Green Bay - hitting their stride
Tennessee - their biggest win in years
Cincinnati - can they save Marvin Lewis?

Trending Down:

Denver - 4-5 after a 4-0 start and in danger of missing the playoffs
Buffalo - Rex Ryan might be the next coach fired
Philadelphia - 2-8 after a 3-0 start

MVP contenders:

1. Derek Carr - despite last week's performance, his value is immense; they'd likely be 5-8 or 4-9 without him
2. Matt Ryan - even though it was against the Rams, great performance without his top two WRs; he's been money most of the year
3. Tom Brady - the best QB this year, but hard to give the MVP to a guy who missed four games and saw his team go 3-1 in those games
4. Ezekiel Elliott - it's clear now that he is much more valuable than Prescott
5. Matthew Stafford - EIGHT 4th quarter comebacks this year

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2291 on: December 14, 2016, 10:34:11 AM »
Zeke is more valuable than Dak easily.  Dak is good, but clearly not experienced enough to read complex defenses like the Giants.  He might want to start studying tape, a lot.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #2292 on: December 14, 2016, 03:50:59 PM »
I think that some people have come to expect too much from Prescott. Kev nailed it when he said that Zeke is much more valuable.

There are only two other QB's that come to mind that had great success in their rookie campaign's in recent years. Shaun King (1999 Bucs) and Ben Roethlisberger in 2004. Both of those guys took their teams to their conference championships, but each of them had much better defenses to lean on. Ben also had Jerome Bettis and a great offensive line. Neither one of those guys got their teams to the super bowl. I'm not sure that Dallas can get there without Romo coming back into the picture, either.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2293 on: December 14, 2016, 05:48:58 PM »
I think that some people have come to expect too much from Prescott. Kev nailed it when he said that Zeke is much more valuable.

There are only two other QB's that come to mind that had great success in their rookie campaign's in recent years. Shaun King (1999 Bucs) and Ben Roethlisberger in 2004. Both of those guys took their teams to their conference championships, but each of them had much better defenses to lean on. Ben also had Jerome Bettis and a great offensive line. Neither one of those guys got their teams to the super bowl. I'm not sure that Dallas can get there without Romo coming back into the picture, either.

Joe Flacco fits that description as well

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2294 on: December 14, 2016, 07:26:54 PM »
That's gonna be a fun story when Jerry Jones makes Garrett start Romo over Prescott.  Romo is still the better QB, obviously, so it might be the right move, IF Prescott keeps struggling.

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #2295 on: December 14, 2016, 07:37:51 PM »

Joe Flacco fits that description as well

I completely forgot about that. It's my Steelers fan/Ohio resident bias  :lol
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2296 on: December 14, 2016, 07:50:42 PM »
That's gonna be a fun story when Jerry Jones makes Garrett start Romo over Prescott.  Romo is still the better QB, obviously, so it might be the right move, IF Prescott keeps struggling.

It would be the wrong move to put Romo in.  Every player need adversity.   You need to go through it to better the playoff run. 

Dax needs to play.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #2297 on: December 14, 2016, 09:29:54 PM »
It'll be really interesting to see what Dallas ends up doing if Dak continues to struggle... it would be a shame to throw away the opportunity you have with a first round bye/possible home field advantage throughout the playoffs with a struggling rookie QB when you have a seasoned veteran behind him.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2298 on: December 14, 2016, 09:42:20 PM »
If they disappoint in the playoffs, they're going to get dragged by the fans and the media no matter which decision they make.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #2299 on: December 14, 2016, 09:46:18 PM »
That's the unfortunate truth... Denver fans were prepared for that if either Osweiler or Manning had failed in the playoffs last season. I do think Terrell Davis said it best when he implied that you'd be a lot more frustrated if you started the young guy and lost early in the playoffs than if you had gone with the vet and lost. The playoffs are a different animal...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2300 on: December 14, 2016, 09:52:44 PM »
The stupidest thing about this is that it should be Jason Garrett's decision, but it won't be.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2301 on: December 15, 2016, 07:13:14 AM »
While I understand the debate, personally if I were a Dallas fan I would not want to go back to Romo.  My only concern if I were dallas would be potentially facing the Giants in the divisional round. That's the only team they lost to so I don't see why anyone should be discussing this at this point. Situation is comparable to Denver last year but Dak has been performing well enoigh. Romo has done nothing in his career to make me think he could take this team to the Super Bowl.  If anything Romo maybe gets them a playoff win and Dakota does not. I see that as the trade off personally, but at the cost of mass debate about the team and would lead to a lot of talk in the off-season about Romo. I'd keep him for the remainder of the season if Dak got hurt and then trade or let him go end of season. He's old and Dak is the future, so let him play this out.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2302 on: December 15, 2016, 07:44:01 AM »
Had Dallas beaten the Giants, then it would be a different story.  Starting Romo would probably be a good idea to get him reps since he hasn't played in over a year.  At this point, with the div title and home field on the line, you continue to start Dak.  Don't deviate from the plan.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2303 on: December 15, 2016, 07:46:28 AM »
...  My only concern if I were dallas would be potentially facing the Giants in the divisional round. That's the only team they lost to so I don't see why anyone should be discussing this at this point.

They haven't played Seattle. That defense would probably give Dak fits as well.

I'm sure Dallas is worried about quite a few teams, as they should be. The film is out on Dak.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2304 on: December 15, 2016, 08:16:38 AM »

I'm sure Dallas is worried about quite a few teams, as they should be. The film is out on Dak.

I don't think so and it's not all on Dak either.  There were several missed opportunities, even on defense.  This isn't a major setback.  The 2 losses were only a combined 4 points.  It's not a big deal.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2305 on: December 15, 2016, 08:53:44 AM »
Love the Seahawks in bright green tonight!   :tup  Rams wearing classic blue and white helmets too.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2306 on: December 15, 2016, 08:55:59 AM »
Romo could come in and win games but loose the season and the progress they've made. Romo is the better QB right now, but he's not the future of the team and Jerry knows that. This is something that the Cowboys need to let Dak work out. Something to keep in mind is that Jerry knows full well the value of adversity (ask Troy Aikman). He also knows the value of lighting a fire under a young quarterback's ass (ask Steve Walsh). Just because his ego kept him from being able to work with Jimmy doesn't mean he didn't learn a lot from him. After all, he's essentially built a team around the O-line and a mixed rushing/passing attack with a new set of triplets.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2307 on: December 15, 2016, 09:17:27 AM »
...  My only concern if I were dallas would be potentially facing the Giants in the divisional round. That's the only team they lost to so I don't see why anyone should be discussing this at this point.

They haven't played Seattle. That defense would probably give Dak fits as well.

I actually think Seattle may be more worrisome than the Giants in the playoffs.  I'd find it hard for Dallas to beat them 3 times, but even if you put in Romo, I don't think it makes things much easier for them to beat Seattle or New York and therefore, to me, the risk of disrupting a young/learning team is not worth it.  The only way that works out is if they won the Super Bowl and I don't think putting Romo in makes them the favorite.  I don't think it's the same as putting a hall of famer and former super bowl champ Peyton Manning back in.  However, if Dallas turns to shit the next few weeks and stumble into the playoffs due to poor performances by Dak, maybe playing Romo at that point would make sense.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2308 on: December 15, 2016, 06:05:18 PM »
Love the Seahawks in bright green tonight!   

That is stretching the definition of "green" a bit. What in the hell color is that??
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2309 on: December 15, 2016, 06:57:20 PM »
Goff and the Rams vs Sigmund and the Sea Monsters.

It literally hurts my eyes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol