7 (8.1%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
0 (0%)
Washington Redskins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots' Day: V - Screw Goodell  (Read 218931 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - Raiding the West
« Reply #2170 on: December 05, 2016, 10:30:55 AM »
Steelers had 12 penalties for 115 yds, Giants 4 for 24 but OBJ whines about the officiating. What a tool.

That game was really difficult to watch as a Giants fan.  I'm starting to get frustrated with him again, his whining is out of control and uncalled for.  I think it's having an effect on the rest of the recievers too since last week Sheppard didn't get targetted, and then this week Cruz didn't get targetted.

Sounds like OBJ and Brown are a match made in heaven.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - Cowboys Clinch!
« Reply #2171 on: December 05, 2016, 11:13:14 AM »
Chiefs are gonna win that division, not the Raiders or Broncos. 
That division is going to be fun to watch this final month.  It could go any one of a number of ways.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2172 on: December 05, 2016, 11:23:52 AM »
Chiefs are gonna win that division, not the Raiders or Broncos. 
That division is going to be fun to watch this final month.  It could go any one of a number of ways.

Agreed.

On another note, this Sunday, the second and third worst teams of the league square off in Silicon Valley. Jets will find a way to lose...even to the pathetic 49ers. Man this is gonna be a brutal game to be at. Last year we got crushed by the Raiders, and this year likely losing to the ridiculous 49ers. At least we beat the Browns.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2173 on: December 05, 2016, 11:50:43 AM »
I don't think so with Brady.  Many in the national media don't have him in their top 5 because he missed 4 games and the Pats went 3 and 1.

Carr is right there with the Wonder Twins from Dallas.  They may negate each other.
I think they have to negate each other, which is a shame because either might be a contender otherwise.

And I don't see Brady as MVP material this year. They're functioning more as a team right now.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2174 on: December 05, 2016, 12:05:17 PM »
Steelers had 12 penalties for 115 yds, Giants 4 for 24 but OBJ whines about the officiating. What a tool.

That game was really difficult to watch as a Giants fan.  I'm starting to get frustrated with him again, his whining is out of control and uncalled for.  I think it's having an effect on the rest of the recievers too since last week Sheppard didn't get targetted, and then this week Cruz didn't get targetted.

Antonio? I've never heard or seen anything like that from him.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2175 on: December 05, 2016, 02:20:16 PM »

AB whines from time to time, probably no more than your ordinary all-star wide receiver, I was more referring to the fact that OBJ seems like a bit of a diva, which Brown most certainly is. I mean we are talking about a guy who insists on taking celebration penalties when he scores a touchdown. The coach has told him not to, Ben (who has a lot of say in that locker room) has told him not to and he still does. Why? Because his own ego and getting to flex that ego is more important than the team.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great receiver, I'd argue probably the best in the league, but I guarantee you if you hooked Brown up to a lie detector and asked him if he'd rather get his numbers and have the team lose than not get his numbers and have the team win, no question he'd rather just get his.

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #2176 on: December 05, 2016, 04:01:58 PM »
I'm still the only one whose chosen the Raiders as my favorite.  C'mon guys, get on the bandwagon before it's too late.  ;)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2177 on: December 05, 2016, 04:24:27 PM »
I don't think so with Brady.  Many in the national media don't have him in their top 5 because he missed 4 games and the Pats went 3 and 1.

Carr is right there with the Wonder Twins from Dallas.  They may negate each other.
I think they have to negate each other, which is a shame because either might be a contender otherwise.

And I don't see Brady as MVP material this year. They're functioning more as a team right now.

Until this last game against a very bad team Brady has carried them.  Third D has been putrid.   My vote is still Carr but Brady is right there.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2178 on: December 05, 2016, 04:27:42 PM »
 ??? New England is 2nd in the NFL in scoring defense.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2179 on: December 05, 2016, 04:34:07 PM »
Kev.  You an i know numbers lie.  This team hasn't played many tough teams. I sure hope I'm wrong.  It's easy to put up good #'s against the 29th best offense.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2180 on: December 05, 2016, 04:37:38 PM »
That's another point in Carr's favor. While Brady has been playing mostly patsies, Carr has been leading Oakland to wins (many of them comeback wins) over playoff caliber-teams like Denver, Tampa Bay, Houston, Baltimore, etc. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2181 on: December 05, 2016, 04:39:12 PM »
Right and even @ Pittsburgh was gift wrapped when Big Ben missed the game.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2182 on: December 05, 2016, 04:47:54 PM »
That's why I say Carr. Like El Barto said, both Dallas rookies are worthy but both will negate each other.  I look at Oakland as battle tested.  I'm not worried about Brady's play, I'm worried about the rest of the team not challenged by tough games.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2183 on: December 05, 2016, 06:07:14 PM »

AB whines from time to time, probably no more than your ordinary all-star wide receiver, I was more referring to the fact that OBJ seems like a bit of a diva, which Brown most certainly is. I mean we are talking about a guy who insists on taking celebration penalties when he scores a touchdown. The coach has told him not to, Ben (who has a lot of say in that locker room) has told him not to and he still does. Why? Because his own ego and getting to flex that ego is more important than the team.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great receiver, I'd argue probably the best in the league, but I guarantee you if you hooked Brown up to a lie detector and asked him if he'd rather get his numbers and have the team lose than not get his numbers and have the team win, no question he'd rather just get his.

I expect some of that from all of them from time to time. Guys like Heath Miller are a rare bread (I really miss that guy). I do admit that I hate seeing him take the celebration penalties, but he doesn't come off as whiny to me. Now, when they had Mike Wallace I most definitely seen him as being a super diva. I tend to think of AB as being somewhere between Wallace(super diva) and Hines Ward who was there to just play football no matter what.

Also, I'm not sure of your age, or how long you've been a fan of the team, but they had a tight end in the early 90's by the name of Eric Green that was a huge problem all the way around. Drugs, poor attitude... you name it.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2184 on: December 05, 2016, 06:56:43 PM »
Wow, the Colts had travel problems getting to the stadium and the Jets haven't shown up yet.  Looks like another blow out in the making.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2185 on: December 06, 2016, 06:02:20 AM »
HERE ARE YOUR 2016 WEEK 14 OFFICIAL PLAYOFF SCENARIOS:

DALLAS COWBOYS
   Dallas clinches division title:
    1) DAL win
   Dallas clinches a first-round bye:
    1) DAL win + DET loss or tie
    2) DAL win + SEA loss
   Dallas clinches homefield advantage throughout NFC playoffs:
    1) DAL win + DET loss or tie + SEA loss

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
   Seattle clinches division title:
    1) SEA win + ARI loss or tie
    2) SEA tie + ARI loss

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
   New England clinches division title:
    1) NE win + MIA loss or tie
    2) NE tie + MIA loss
   New England clinches a first-round bye:
    1) NE win + MIA loss or tie + PIT loss or tie

OAKLAND RAIDERS
   Oakland clinches a playoff berth:
    1) OAK win + MIA loss or tie
    2) OAK win + DEN loss
    3) OAK tie + MIA loss + BAL loss or tie
    4) OAK tie + MIA loss + PIT loss or tie 

https://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/week-14-playoff-scenarios-cowboys-and-patriots-can-earn-playoff-byes-seahawks-raiders

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2186 on: December 06, 2016, 08:46:45 AM »
The Raiders are 10-2 and the media are STILL calling him David Carr (his brother).   ::)
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2187 on: December 06, 2016, 09:08:55 AM »
I expect some of that from all of them from time to time. Guys like Heath Miller are a rare bread (I really miss that guy). I do admit that I hate seeing him take the celebration penalties, but he doesn't come off as whiny to me. Now, when they had Mike Wallace I most definitely seen him as being a super diva. I tend to think of AB as being somewhere between Wallace(super diva) and Hines Ward who was there to just play football no matter what.

Also, I'm not sure of your age, or how long you've been a fan of the team, but they had a tight end in the early 90's by the name of Eric Green that was a huge problem all the way around. Drugs, poor attitude... you name it.

I'm 27, so I was probably a kid watching the Steelers games with my dad when Eric Green played, the name doesn't ring a bell.

Just to be clear, I don't care that AB can be a whiner or a diva, or whatever. That stuff is pretty much par for the course in today's NFL, heck being a criminal is becoming the normal on a lot of teams. What I do care about is continuing to take celebration penalties that cost the team 15 yards after he's been told not to. That's all. The dude is a great receiver, I'm not hating, I'm just saying.

I agree about missing a guy like Heath, that personality type and leadership style is lacking on this football team now outside of big number 7. Also - while Ward was a good, hard working football player, off the field he pretty much was as much of an egomaniac as AB is now. Once again, as long as it doesn't hurt the team on the field, I don't really care, just pointing it out.  :lol

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2188 on: December 06, 2016, 10:35:35 AM »
I'm still the only one whose chosen the Raiders as my favorite.  C'mon guys, get on the bandwagon before it's too late.  ;)
I've been contemplating just becoming a Raiders fan since last season, because I'm sick of watching the Yorks run the 49ers so badly.

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #2189 on: December 06, 2016, 12:30:36 PM »
I've been contemplating just becoming a Raiders fan since last season, because I'm sick of watching the Yorks run the 49ers so badly.

As a fan this season has been fun.  It's been so long since I was cheering for a winner; it still feels strange.

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #2190 on: December 06, 2016, 12:45:56 PM »
My prediction for playoffs.
NFC championship - Seattle / Dallas
AFC championship - Oakland / New England

Anything can happen though..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2191 on: December 06, 2016, 12:48:52 PM »
My dad is a Raiders fan. Prior to this season it was always reassuring that no matter how badly the Niners would do, the Raiders would always be worse. Years of mediocrity pre-Harbaugh was always slightly lessened by having the Raiders be awful year after year. Not so much this year.

I'm just praying the Browns win a game or two and we continue to suck. Get a top draft pick and more importantly we see Baalke get shipped out. I mean Chip has to go, but that won't help too much if Baalke is still there. York needs to go, but you can't easily see that happening. The best reasonable scenario is to see Baalke go and then Chip after that.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2192 on: December 06, 2016, 01:23:50 PM »
My prediction for playoffs.
NFC championship - Seattle / Dallas
AFC championship - Oakland / New England

Anything can happen though..

Again....way to go out on a limb.

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #2193 on: December 06, 2016, 04:28:42 PM »
I'll go even further out on a limb. Dallas and Oakland in the SB.  I'm not really going out on a limb though because I'm not betting on anything. I always lose when I bet, I don't want to jinx my team by betting on them..  :biggrin:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - No Romo? No Problem!
« Reply #2194 on: December 06, 2016, 05:47:15 PM »
Post-Week 13 Power Rankings
1. Dallas - winning a game you didn't play well in is always the mark of a great team
2. Oakland - with all three road games left within the division, they will certainly have to earn the division
3. Kansas City - the best non-flashy team we've seen in years
4. Seattle - they best is so good, as we saw again, but consistency is their issue
5. New England - seems odd to drop them after they won, but losing Gronk and looking disinterested against the Rams made me drop them a bit
6. Detroit - have won seven of their last eight; they look legit
7. Denver - will likely sneak in as the 6 seed that no one wants to play
8. Atlanta - brutal loss, and now on the verge of blowing the division
9. Pittsburgh - getting hot at the just the right time
10. Baltimore - impressive beat down of a Miami team that was red hot

Trending Up:

Tampa Bay - narrowly missed the top 10; looking really good
Green Bay - need to win three in a row and hope Detroit loses one, in order to steal the division from the Lions in week 17
Indianapolis - poised to steal the AFC South

Trending Down:

Houston - such a soft team
Minnesota - still stunned by their collapse
Philadelphia - this team needs WRs who can catch, but I think these growing pains by a rookie head coach and QB will help long term

MVP contenders:

1. Derek Carr
2. Dak Prescott
3. Tom Brady
4. Andrew Luck
5. Matt Ryan

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #2195 on: December 06, 2016, 08:10:53 PM »
I think it's time to put Stafford in the MVP conversation. I know he'll never get it because he's a Detroit Lion, but he's been just as valuable to his team as any QB aside from Carr in my opinion. We all know how valuable Brady is, but Belichick seems to be able to win with any QB in the regular season. The Lions would be in the basement of the NFC North without Stafford.

Definitely agree with Luck being in the top 5 though, especially because I finally got to see him in person last night at Metlife Stadium (went with a co-worker who is a Colts fan). Even though it was against the Jets, it was still special to see how incredibly talented Luck is in person. There's another team that would probably be garbage without the elite QB play they're getting.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2196 on: December 06, 2016, 08:35:10 PM »
Honestly, leaving out Stafford was a total oversight on my part.  You could really argue for him being 3rd on the list, especially when you consider how big he has played at the end of games.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - No Romo? No Problem!
« Reply #2197 on: December 07, 2016, 08:02:50 AM »
Post-Week 13 Power Rankings
1. Dallas - winning a game you didn't play well in is always the mark of a great team
2. Oakland - with all three road games left within the division, they will certainly have to earn the division
3. Kansas City - the best non-flashy team we've seen in years
4. Seattle - they best is so good, as we saw again, but consistency is their issue
5. New England - seems odd to drop them after they won, but losing Gronk and looking disinterested against the Rams made me drop them a bit

I have no issue outing Oakland over NE. I was very impressed with KC the one game I saw them play. NE just hasn't played anyone this year. And it's not just losing Gronk. Amendola is out for the next month as well.
Big game this weekend against Baltimore, who has been a real thorn in their side over the years. The Pats still have to go to Denver. If Simean (sp?) is healthy, I don't like the Pats' chances.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2198 on: December 07, 2016, 08:14:43 AM »
I never thought I'd say this, but...the game of the week is on Thursday.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2199 on: December 07, 2016, 10:18:44 AM »
The Raiders are 10-2 and the media are STILL calling him David Carr (his brother).   ::)

I wonder how many teams wrote him off for being David's brother. It's hard to believe in hindsight that Bortles, Manziel and Bridgewater were selected ahead of him. Yes another lol Cleveland moment for sure, but those happen all too often, like back in 2016 when the browns could have drafted Zeke & Dak...... hindsight being what it is and all.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2200 on: December 07, 2016, 09:47:56 PM »
Those guys wouldn't be nearly as good on the Browns, though.  Don't get me wrong, both guys are really good, but both guys benefit big time playing behind that line, and Prescott has the added advantage of being coached by a former QB. 

Along those lines, isn't it amazing how guys who were never more than backup QBs in the NFL become great QB coaches?  Gary Kubiak, for one, and Jason Garrett, for two.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2201 on: December 07, 2016, 10:13:26 PM »
Along those lines, isn't it amazing how guys who were never more than backup QBs in the NFL become great QB coaches?  Gary Kubiak, for one, and Jason Garrett, for two.

Other than Del Rio and Rivera, I can't think of any somewhat successful headcoach in recent years that wasn't a backup/non-starter when they were a player. Mike Singletary was the last one that comes to mind that was a huge name on the field, but his coaching career wasn't very good.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2202 on: December 07, 2016, 11:20:26 PM »
Other than Del Rio and Rivera, I can't think of any somewhat successful headcoach in recent years that wasn't a backup/non-starter when they were a player. Mike Singletary was the last one that comes to mind that was a huge name on the field, but his coaching career wasn't very good.
Understatement. :lol

That is, if we're talking about his head coaching career. He's done just fine for himself working with linebackers.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #2203 on: December 08, 2016, 06:28:48 AM »
This is too bad, there's always been mutual respect and admiration between the Giants' and Steelers' fan bases:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18230160/offensive-line-ride-whenever

This Sheppard guy seems like the black sheep of an otherwise classy organization (minus OBJ).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2204 on: December 08, 2016, 06:34:36 AM »
Every team has players like that.  Even your beloved Steelers.