7 (8.1%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
0 (0%)
Washington Redskins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots' Day: V - Screw Goodell  (Read 219061 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - Raiding the West
« Reply #2135 on: December 01, 2016, 03:36:56 PM »
The NFL is going to have 16 full time officials?!  Well it's a first step.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2136 on: December 01, 2016, 04:10:13 PM »
I don't understand why they don't go all-in on it, but it's something. It's so strange when you see guys like Gene Steratore also officiating D1 NCAA basketball.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2137 on: December 01, 2016, 06:23:15 PM »
Funny thing happened on Gronk's road to being the best tight end ever: he got hurt.  And then got hurt.  Again.  And again.

8 weeks.  Might as well put him on the IR.

I would worry about his health in regards to ever playing again.  Another back surgery and he is getting older. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2138 on: December 01, 2016, 06:23:51 PM »
I don't understand why they don't go all-in on it, but it's something. It's so strange when you see guys like Gene Steratore also officiating D1 NCAA basketball.

Yea, I don't understand why they don't make all refs full time NFL officials and keep them interested and occupied only with the NFL game.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2139 on: December 02, 2016, 10:05:53 AM »
Because games are only once a week.

I've never understood the drive to make them full-time.  Basketball, hockey, and baseball refs kind of have to be full-time, because games are all the time.  But NFL games are only on Sundays (with the exception of Monday and Thursday nights).

What will be the benefit of them being full time?  What are they going to do during the week?  Watch tape?  Study the rule book?  Take tests?  I just don't get it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2140 on: December 02, 2016, 10:31:35 AM »
Same goes for players and coaches.  The refs can spend time during the week working on improving their craft like players and coaches do.   :justjen
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2141 on: December 02, 2016, 10:35:38 AM »
Players have practice.  They practice plays.

Can refs "practice"?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2142 on: December 02, 2016, 10:36:49 AM »
Same goes for players and coaches.  The refs can spend time during the week working on improving their craft like players and coaches do.   :justjen

Yea, I don't understand why it doesnt make sense.  They can practice, watch film, tighten their skills, also stay DEDICATED.  Doing other things takes away your focus and thier job requires them to be extremely focusesd for a few hours a week, which isn't much, but we all bitch about the officiating and this will help make it better. 

Also, these refs make enough money from the NFL to justify them being dedicated to the NFL.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2143 on: December 02, 2016, 10:46:25 AM »
I agree that the refs need to be full-time. This is a multi-billion dollar producing entity....there's money for it.

Their weeks could be filled with training, tape review. Visits to team's practices like they do in mini camp.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2144 on: December 02, 2016, 10:51:18 AM »
Yea, I'm not even saying these guys need to work 40 hour weeks off season, but they should be dedicated to the NFL and to perfecting their jobs. 

Can refs "practice"?

Yes, they can practice by performing their job in simulation (whether that be practice of NFL teams, or some other form).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2145 on: December 02, 2016, 10:52:48 AM »
Most of the refs go home to be with their families during the week, right? If there were all full time, would they have to relocate to a central location? Surely the refs, if full time couldn't be video conferencing all day.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2146 on: December 02, 2016, 11:38:39 AM »
The problem is most of the Ref are lawyers and such and this is not their full time gig which should say it all.  As the NFL hires new Refs they should be full time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2147 on: December 02, 2016, 12:25:33 PM »
OK, whatever.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2148 on: December 02, 2016, 12:38:24 PM »
Who me?  I want them to be full time.  I think they old farts that are still lawyers in the off season and such will put up a fight.  That's why i said every time they get a new ref in make him full time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2149 on: December 03, 2016, 06:33:46 AM »
Full time officials should be a no-brainer.  Think of how many flags are judgment calls, like pass interference.  They can spend all week watching tape so calls are more consistent across the board, instead of watching one game where defenses are allowed to grab all day, and then another where if you breathe on the WR, a flag comes flying.

I get that it's a difficult sport to officiate, but far too many games these days are tainted by bad calls (or non-calls, like Dallas winning the other night when they got away with clocking Bradford in the face on the 2-point conversion at the end that could have tied the game), and while going with full time officials won't eliminate everything, it will help.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2150 on: December 03, 2016, 09:46:10 AM »
Agreed Kev.  That hands to the face no-call was pretty bad and should not have been missed.  Definitely a game changer and BTW, that was an ugly win by Dallas.  Vikings had the best defense against them so far this season.  Although OT would've been interesting, the way the rules are set up, it just drags games out too long.  Especially on a week night.  I was happy to see it end despite the bad call.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2151 on: December 03, 2016, 09:54:11 AM »
I think technology has ruined it for us fans.  I think the refs are at the same level as it was in the 70's.  Now we get to see every mistake, every toe in or out.

Now add the league adding rule after rule to fix things it's got harder and harder to ref.

That is why they need full time refs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2152 on: December 04, 2016, 09:04:50 AM »
I agree that officiating is probably no better or worse than it used to be; it's just magnified more now because of better/more camera angles and constant reviews. 

In the meantime, the Rams gave Jeff Fisher an extension. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Enjoy that team, Los Angeles. :biggrin: :lol

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2153 on: December 04, 2016, 09:29:58 AM »
I agree that officiating is probably no better or worse than it used to be; it's just magnified more now because of better/more camera angles and constant reviews. 

In the meantime, the Rams gave Jeff Fisher an extension. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

:facepalm:  D'oh!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #2154 on: December 04, 2016, 01:14:08 PM »

I haven't read the details, but I'm guessing it was worth about 7-9 million?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2155 on: December 04, 2016, 01:17:43 PM »
I haven't read the details, but I'm guessing it was worth about 7-9 million?

Kudos to you, this literally made me laugh out loud.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2156 on: December 04, 2016, 01:31:07 PM »
 :lol :lol :lol

I don't think the Rams are making it to 7-9 this year.  This looks like a scrimmage today for the Patriots, who brought their C- game and still lead 26-3.

Broncos D needs to close the deal against the Jags today.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2157 on: December 04, 2016, 01:34:43 PM »
C game is correct. Doesn't give me any confidence at all.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2158 on: December 04, 2016, 01:59:55 PM »
Oh dear that KC/ATL dramatic turn of events! Gonna cost me a point in the pick 'em, and I already lost 2 by picking MIA and PHI.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2159 on: December 04, 2016, 02:15:23 PM »
Chiefs are gonna win that division, not the Raiders or Broncos. 

It's about time more people give the Lions and Matthew Stafford some serious props.

Miami is back to being Miami.

This Giants/Steelers game is gonna be good.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2160 on: December 04, 2016, 05:17:57 PM »
This Raiders team is so much fun to watch. If it's not going to be the Ravens, I could easily see myself rooting for them to come out of the AFC. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2161 on: December 04, 2016, 05:33:50 PM »
Chiefs are gonna win that division, not the Raiders or Broncos. 
Chiefs are one of those teams that look awful on paper but always finds some way to win. Today it was a a guy with a pick-6 and a crucial pick-2. Those are the teams that are scary.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2162 on: December 04, 2016, 05:37:05 PM »
This Raiders team is so much fun to watch. If it's not going to be the Ravens, I could easily see myself rooting for them to come out of the AFC.
Sub out Ravens with Patriots and I'm totally with you!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2163 on: December 04, 2016, 06:19:31 PM »
I think Carr is starting to separate himself from the pack in regards to the MVP race, although I suspect voters are dying to give it to Brady.  Carr, however, is probably the difference in the Raiders being 10-2 and maybe 5-7 or 4-8; they have 5-6 wins they pulled out late that they wouldn't have with another QB. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2164 on: December 04, 2016, 06:30:10 PM »
I don't think so with Brady.  Many in the national media don't have him in their top 5 because he missed 4 games and the Pats went 3 and 1.

Carr is right there with the Wonder Twins from Dallas.  They may negate each other.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2165 on: December 05, 2016, 05:46:51 AM »
Steelers had 12 penalties for 115 yds, Giants 4 for 24 but OBJ whines about the officiating. What a tool.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #2166 on: December 05, 2016, 08:25:35 AM »
One thing I will agree with him on is the unnecessary roughness on Mitchell that should've been called. If they really care about player safety, blowing someone up when it has absolutely no impact on the play should not be encouraged.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2167 on: December 05, 2016, 08:37:27 AM »
Hopefully tonight's game is better than last night.  Oh wait...it's Colts @ Jets.  Nevermind.  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2168 on: December 05, 2016, 09:19:41 AM »
Steelers had 12 penalties for 115 yds, Giants 4 for 24 but OBJ whines about the officiating. What a tool.

That game was really difficult to watch as a Giants fan.  I'm starting to get frustrated with him again, his whining is out of control and uncalled for.  I think it's having an effect on the rest of the recievers too since last week Sheppard didn't get targetted, and then this week Cruz didn't get targetted.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - Cowboys Clinch!
« Reply #2169 on: December 05, 2016, 09:31:37 AM »
So, the Panthers really looked great for one play last night.  :metal

#ComeOnNextSeason