7 (8.1%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
0 (0%)
Washington Redskins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots' Day: V - Screw Goodell  (Read 218700 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - Raiding the West
« Reply #2100 on: November 27, 2016, 09:25:33 PM »
Siemian = CLUTCH.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2101 on: November 27, 2016, 10:14:47 PM »
Unbelievable game!
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2102 on: November 27, 2016, 10:23:15 PM »
I'm a big Kubiak fan, but I disagree with attempting that FG.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2103 on: November 27, 2016, 10:24:16 PM »
Certainly has a lot of faith in his D.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2104 on: November 27, 2016, 10:25:22 PM »
Not sure why, considering they've gagged the game away twice. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2105 on: November 27, 2016, 10:26:32 PM »
Agreed, and it burned him here as well.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2106 on: November 27, 2016, 10:28:56 PM »
Christ. Only fitting that this game ends on a game winner doinking through the goalposts. Bad call from Kubiak but an otherwise fantastic game.
E.F. Benson

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2107 on: November 28, 2016, 03:29:57 AM »
Christ. Only fitting that this game ends on a game winner doinking through the goalposts. Bad call from Kubiak but an otherwise fantastic game.

I disagree about it being a bad call. With the thin air in Denver, that kick was far from impossible. And even if he did miss it (which of course is what happened), the Broncos have a strong enough defense for him to have faith in them to hold onto the victory. Why accept a tie when you can go for the win?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2108 on: November 28, 2016, 07:09:06 AM »
Because he only had about a 5% chance for that win, and a tie you can count on is better than a loss you can avoid.

Also, the Panthers showed a lot of heart in the second half, but I guess they just played too much like ass in the first half to fully overcome.  Gnarly finger dislocation for Carr, but he came back to lead his team to victory, so kudos.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2109 on: November 28, 2016, 08:52:51 AM »
Not only that, but Denver's D was gassed. The way they played the first half you consider trying that kick. After the second half and subsequent OT you don't give KC a short field. Add to that, splitting a game with a division rival isn't such an awful thing.
E.F. Benson

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #2110 on: November 28, 2016, 09:40:18 AM »
Might we be seeing the death of Thursday Night Football? And might we actually see a good decision from the NFL? Possibly...

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-reportedly-considering-pulling-the-plug-on-thursday-night-football-112816
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2111 on: November 28, 2016, 10:12:43 AM »
Might we be seeing the death of Thursday Night Football? And might we actually see a good decision from the NFL? Possibly...

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-reportedly-considering-pulling-the-plug-on-thursday-night-football-112816

It's weird because it's hard to vote against more accessible NFL games, but the Thursday night games are for the most part, uninteresting or bad and the impact on the teams is negative (less time to prepare).  I actually think it's a good decision for the league overall.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2112 on: November 28, 2016, 11:09:21 AM »

It's weird because it's hard to vote against more accessible NFL games, but the Thursday night games are for the most part, uninteresting or bad and the impact on the teams is negative (less time to prepare).  I actually think it's a good decision for the league overall.

Not hard for me, I think the NFL would be doing itself a favor to throw out the Thursday evening game. Like we have discussed previously in this thread, I think the NFL may have reached the over saturation point and making football games all on Sunday and Monday night would help with that, IMO.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2113 on: November 28, 2016, 12:07:28 PM »
The Thursday games have never been a good idea, with the exception of Thanksgiving.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2114 on: November 28, 2016, 12:10:46 PM »
TNF has never been appealing to me. Maybe it's just the mental habit of Sunday and Monday being NFL days or perhaps it's the aforementioned short week/poor performance situation. I also can't stand the Color Rush bullshit, so if this does in fact ring in the death knell of TNF, I'm fine with it.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2115 on: November 28, 2016, 03:32:28 PM »
Well, as mentioned previously in this thread, TNF isn't going away any time soon....and with Dallas playing in Minnesota this Thursday, the ratings will probably be the highest they've been all season.  Color rush never bothered me at all.  It's football FFS.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2116 on: November 28, 2016, 03:35:07 PM »
Well, as mentioned previously in this thread, TNF isn't going away any time soon....and with Dallas playing in Minnesota this Thursday, the ratings will probably be the highest they've been all season.  Color rush never bothered me at all.  It's football FFS.

The article stated 2017 was the last year of the contract so that could be the end.  But you are right about this week's game.  Dallas has been featured in 4 of the 5 highest rated games this year including this past thursday's Dallas game that was the highest rated regular season game EVER on Fox.  https://www.sbnation.com/2016/11/25/13748024/dallas-cowboys-washington-thanksgiving-tv-ratings-fox-viewers-record

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2117 on: November 28, 2016, 05:42:26 PM »
Not only that, but Denver's D was gassed. The way they played the first half you consider trying that kick. After the second half and subsequent OT you don't give KC a short field. Add to that, splitting a game with a division rival isn't such an awful thing.

I think Kubiak got it in his head that they needed this win to be able to win the division, which he was probably right about. I think if the Chiefs and they were fighting for 1st, with the Raiders and Chiefs both under .500, he punts it and settles for the tie.  But hey, Kubiak's decision took the heat off the defense, which lost the game for them at the end of regulation and OT.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2118 on: November 28, 2016, 08:39:11 PM »
Doug Pederson just used his last challenge of the game in the 3rd quarter on overturning a 2-yard pass on 1st down. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2119 on: November 29, 2016, 01:22:35 PM »
Interesting: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/29/ravens-propose-a-bonus-point-for-kickoffs-through-the-uprights/

On the face this seems silly to me, but it appears to have more underlying positives to it, according to this article. I certainly don't expect to ever see this happen.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2120 on: November 29, 2016, 02:01:44 PM »
Interesting: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/29/ravens-propose-a-bonus-point-for-kickoffs-through-the-uprights/

On the face this seems silly to me, but it appears to have more underlying positives to it, according to this article. I certainly don't expect to ever see this happen.
Better idea than color rush uniforms or games in Mexico City.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #2121 on: November 29, 2016, 06:48:30 PM »

TNF has mostly been lousy at best this season outside of a small handful of games... I don't think it's a just a coincidence; the sport is too physical for these guys to have just 3 full days of rest before the next game (I realize DAL vs. MIN is an exception to that). It's not the color rush that's the problem, it's a league that claims to care about player safety, yet they couldn't care less about throwing these guys back out on the field as soon as possible to make as much money as they can. I hope the drop in ratings is a wake up call to them and they eventually get rid of TNF. It's clearly watering down their product.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - No Romo? No Problem!
« Reply #2122 on: November 29, 2016, 09:26:33 PM »
Post-Week 12 Power Rankings
1. Dallas - looking like THE team to beat
2. New England - they keep winning, but you just get the feeling that something's not right
3. Oakland - season-defining win over the Panthers
4. Kansas City - stole a win on the road
5. Seattle - amazing how the offense can be so good and then so bad
6. Atlanta - hard to figure them out at times
7. Denver - will have to fight to make the playoffs now after the D let them down big time
8. NY Giants - hard to believe this team is 8-3
9. Miami - six wins in a row!
10. Detroit - NFC North is theirs for the taking now

Trending Up:

Tampa Bay - can they sneak up and steal the NFC South?
Pittsburgh - caught a break by getting the Colts without Luck and now have a favorable schedule down the stretch
Buffalo - Rex has probably saved his job, but probably looking at 8-8

Trending Down:

Los Angeles - Jeff Fisher is a joke
Cincinnati - adios, Marvin Lewis
Arizona - biggest disappointment this season

MVP contenders:

1. Derek Carr
2. Dak Prescott
3. Matt Ryan
4. Tom Brady
5. Ezekiel Elliot

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #2123 on: November 29, 2016, 11:37:41 PM »
Packers D looked horrendous last night, per usual. Weak zone defenses cooked up by Dom Capers. I can't wait till he is out of GB.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2124 on: November 30, 2016, 02:31:30 PM »
The NFL is moving next year's London games to 1pm EST kick offs, not that 9:30am stuff we got this year (maybe before too, I don't remember, I just recall NYG getting stuck with an early game and I hated it). 

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2125 on: November 30, 2016, 09:08:19 PM »
Packers D looked horrendous last night, per usual. Weak zone defenses cooked up by Dom Capers. I can't wait till he is out of GB.

The healthy 2nd-4th stringers that he has available, held Philly to 13 points.  I'd say that's pretty darn good.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2126 on: December 01, 2016, 07:19:05 AM »
Well, Philly's O-line didn't play that great, but GB's defense did play better than previous weeks.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2127 on: December 01, 2016, 10:58:59 AM »
Well, I have tickets to see the JETS in San Francisco on the 11th. My brother and I are pretty excited about going to a game together (been awhile), but man...this is going to be ugly. And the beer...probably way too expensive.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2128 on: December 01, 2016, 11:34:28 AM »
Well, I have tickets to see the JETS in San Francisco on the 11th. My brother and I are pretty excited about going to a game together (been awhile), but man...this is going to be ugly. And the beer...probably way too expensive.

Yet sadly you will need a lot of beer to get through that game  :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2129 on: December 01, 2016, 11:37:14 AM »

Yet sadly you will need a lot of beer to get through that game  :lol

:rollin
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2130 on: December 01, 2016, 12:09:23 PM »
Funny thing happened on Gronk's road to being the best tight end ever: he got hurt.  And then got hurt.  Again.  And again.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2131 on: December 01, 2016, 12:27:03 PM »
Funny thing happened on Gronk's road to being the best tight end ever: he got hurt.  And then got hurt.  Again.  And again.

Herm Edwards said he is incapable of falling gracefully.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2132 on: December 01, 2016, 12:51:58 PM »
Well, I have tickets to see the JETS in San Francisco SANTA CLARA on the 11th. My brother and I are pretty excited about going to a game together (been awhile), but man...this is going to be ugly. And the beer...probably way too expensive.
Fixed.   :)

Not a bad stadium.  You should have a good time.  And it's a game the Jets should win, so there's that.  I hope your seats aren't on the "sunny" side of the stadium.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2133 on: December 01, 2016, 01:10:16 PM »

8 weeks.  Might as well put him on the IR.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2134 on: December 01, 2016, 01:16:14 PM »
Well, I have tickets to see the JETS in San Francisco SANTA CLARA on the 11th. My brother and I are pretty excited about going to a game together (been awhile), but man...this is going to be ugly. And the beer...probably way too expensive.
Fixed.   :)

Not a bad stadium.  You should have a good time.  And it's a game the Jets should win, so there's that.  I hope your seats aren't on the "sunny" side of the stadium.

Oh yeah. hahahaha. That's still so wrong. Then again, the Jets play in Jersey, so...

I am in one of the endzones. One deck up, first row.