7 (8.1%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
0 (0%)
Washington Redskins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots' Day: V - Screw Goodell  (Read 218920 times)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - Purple Reign
« Reply #1715 on: October 20, 2016, 09:34:10 PM »
These Green Bay whites have to be one of the best color rush uniforms.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1716 on: October 20, 2016, 09:38:51 PM »
In other news, Jay Feely is a TNF kicking expert.  :lol Commenting on that blocked FG.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1717 on: October 20, 2016, 09:43:28 PM »
I think tonight's game said way more about the Bears than it did the Packers.  The Bears are one of the three worst teams in the leagues; the Packers are barely a fringe playoff team.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1718 on: October 21, 2016, 07:21:01 AM »
In other news, Jay Feely is a TNF kicking expert.  :lol Commenting on that blocked FG.

I noticed that a couple of weeks ago. Seems like a waste of money to have a kicking expert.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1719 on: October 21, 2016, 08:34:32 AM »
The NFL is a jobs program.  I think it's hilarious that they have an analyst for everything except jock straps. :rollin
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1720 on: October 21, 2016, 06:55:19 PM »
I've actually found Feely halfway insightful. Kicking is one area where none of the commentators have any knowledge whatsoever. Gruden's probably the most knowledgeable of the lot, but what can he tell you about kicking after a bobbled snap or dodging some crazed 4th string lineman?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1721 on: October 21, 2016, 07:03:48 PM »
I've actually found Feely halfway insightful. Kicking is one area where none of the commentators have any knowledge whatsoever. Gruden's probably the most knowledgeable of the lot, but what can he tell you about kicking after a bobbled snap or dodging some crazed 4th string lineman?

Plenty. He had Martin Gramatica as his kicker

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1722 on: October 22, 2016, 06:33:14 AM »
Shannon Sharpe was on Colin Cowherd's The Herd recently and told a great story about the 2000 AFCCG when he was on the Ravens.  He said he went to Marvin Lewis (Ravens DC at the time) and asked him how many points they needed to win the game.  Lewis told him, "7."  Sharpe was like, "What? We're playing the Raiders, who have the number 1 offense in the league!" And Lewis reiterated, "Give me one touchdown and we'll win."  And sure enough, when Sharpe scored the first touchdown of the game early in the game to make it 7-0, the defense was like, "We are going to the Super Bowl!" And sure enough they went on to win the game 16-3, before clobbering the Giants in the Super Bowl.

People can talk about the '85 Bears all they want, or even the '13 Seahawks, but the 2000 Ravens defense is the best I've ever seen.  To hell with scoring, I remember watching teams struggle to even get 1st downs against them in the playoffs.  And they pitched the only shutout in Super Bowl history (and I am sure it still irks them that the Giants scored a touchdown on a kickoff return to make the game not technically a shutout).

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1723 on: October 22, 2016, 01:59:01 PM »
Shannon Sharpe was on Colin Cowherd's The Herd recently and told a great story about the 2000 AFCCG when he was on the Ravens.  He said he went to Marvin Lewis (Ravens DC at the time) and asked him how many points they needed to win the game.  Lewis told him, "7."  Sharpe was like, "What? We're playing the Raiders, who have the number 1 offense in the league!" And Lewis reiterated, "Give me one touchdown and we'll win."  And sure enough, when Sharpe scored the first touchdown of the game early in the game to make it 7-0, the defense was like, "We are going to the Super Bowl!" And sure enough they went on to win the game 16-3, before clobbering the Giants in the Super Bowl.

People can talk about the '85 Bears all they want, or even the '13 Seahawks, but the 2000 Ravens defense is the best I've ever seen.  To hell with scoring, I remember watching teams struggle to even get 1st downs against them in the playoffs.  And they pitched the only shutout in Super Bowl history (and I am sure it still irks them that the Giants scored a touchdown on a kickoff return to make the game not technically a shutout).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Pittsburgh_Steelers_season

They started off a little rough, but from the 6th game onward they allowed a total of 28 points in 9 games. Yes, the game was much different back then, but this would be impressive in any era.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1724 on: October 22, 2016, 05:14:03 PM »
Well, first off, I was talking about defenses I have seen ;), and I never saw any defense prior to the mid 80s.

Second, that Steelers team didn't even win the Super Bowl.  In fact, they didn't even make it to the Super Bowl, so that disqualifies them from this conversation, since greatest single season defense talk always involves defenses that won the Super Bowl.

From a collective standpoint, that Steelers D, which was largely responsible for 4 titles in 6 years, is one of the best ever, but none of their single seasons would be in the conversation, especially since none of their postseasons were as dominant as the '85 Bears, '00 Ravens, '02 Bucs, '13 Seahawks or '15 Broncos.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1725 on: October 22, 2016, 05:15:37 PM »

Amen.  I try not to be a homer... but that defense was special, and that run was amazing.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1726 on: October 22, 2016, 06:45:54 PM »
Well, first off, I was talking about defenses I have seen ;), and I never saw any defense prior to the mid 80s.

I had assumed that you were my age. I was very young, but I do remember the steelers of the very late 70's and early 80's.

Second, that Steelers team didn't even win the Super Bowl.  In fact, they didn't even make it to the Super Bowl, so that disqualifies them from this conversation, since greatest single season defense talk always involves defenses that won the Super Bowl.

Usually it's true that people only talk about Super Bowl teams, however nowhere has anyone(and certainly not in your post that I was responding to) made a "rule" that only those teams should be mentioned or considered. It's a shame if that's the case.

In the nine game streak that I had mentioned before, they had 5 shutouts, 2 games where they only allowed 1 field goal, 1 game where they only allowed 2 field goals and only allowed 2 touchdowns over the 9 game run. If that doesn't garner mention as one of the greatest of all times, then I don't know what would.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1727 on: October 22, 2016, 07:03:37 PM »
As much as I am annoyed that the Giants are playing at 9:30am my time tomorrow, it must suck even more for the Rams fans at 6:30am.  I HATE these games  >:(

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1728 on: October 22, 2016, 07:10:30 PM »
As much as I am annoyed that the Giants are playing at 9:30am my time tomorrow, it must suck even more for the Rams fans at 6:30am.  I HATE these games  >:(

Why would you hate a 9:30 start? Roll out of bed and ..BAM..Football!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1729 on: October 22, 2016, 07:13:10 PM »

Why would you hate a 9:30 start? Roll out of bed and ..BAM..Football!!

Too early to get worked up for my team and have a beer I guess (I know that's not a real excuse  :lol).  I actually set the DVR and will just not turn on the internet when I wake up until I've watched the game. (I'd normally be up, but I'll be at work till 6am tonight).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1730 on: October 22, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »
I'd start drinking as soon as you get home and crash after the game.  ;D

The DVR is no fun.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1731 on: October 22, 2016, 07:18:19 PM »
930am is a half out late when I was tailgating.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1732 on: October 22, 2016, 07:21:19 PM »

:lol

And you're at least, what, twice Cram's age!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1733 on: October 22, 2016, 07:22:49 PM »

:lol

And you're at least, what, twice Cram's age!

Hey, it's different if you are tailgating and going to the game, that's a scenario when I would be up and boozing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1734 on: October 22, 2016, 07:30:29 PM »
I've actually tailgated at the Meadowlands a number of times. Not for football. Just concerts.
Monsters Of Rock VH/Scorps/Dokken/Metallica  '88
Metallica '89
Iron Maiden '91
Operation RnR (Judas Priest/Alice Cooper/Motorhead  '91

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1735 on: October 22, 2016, 07:32:24 PM »
Pretend you're in London and it's 330pm! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1736 on: October 22, 2016, 08:13:36 PM »
   I try not to be a homer... but that defense was special, and that run was amazing.

Be a homer all you want on this one; that defense was beyond amazing.

Usually it's true that people only talk about Super Bowl teams, however nowhere has anyone(and certainly not in your post that I was responding to) made a "rule" that only those teams should be mentioned or considered. It's a shame if that's the case.

In the nine game streak that I had mentioned before, they had 5 shutouts, 2 games where they only allowed 1 field goal, 1 game where they only allowed 2 field goals and only allowed 2 touchdowns over the 9 game run. If that doesn't garner mention as one of the greatest of all times, then I don't know what would.

That 9-game streak was certainly unreal, but you have to look at the season as a whole, and they allowed 110 points in their first five games (not GOAT-worthy) and then 38 points in the two playoff games.  They'd be in the conversation, sure, but at the top?  Nope.

As for having to win the Super Bowl, call it unfair, but it's the way it is.  Neither the '07 Patriots nor the '13 Broncos can claim being the best single season offense because both gagged it up in the Super Bowl.  Now, had either scored a ton of points in a losing effort, then the argument would be a lot stronger, just like had the '76 Steelers gotten eliminated in a 9-6 game in the playoffs, but it didn't happen that way. 

Consider this: in the Super Bowls for the four defenses I mentioned, their net points (points allowed - points the defense actually scored) are:

Ravens +7 (scored 7, allowed 0)
Bucs 0 (scored 21, allowed 21, although really it should be -3 since the Raiders went for 2 after all three touchdowns and failed)
Seahawks -1 (scored 7, allowed 8)
Broncos -3 (scored 7, allowed 10)

Heck, for that entire playoff run, the Ravens D was -2 net points (scored 14 points on defense, allowed 16).  That is unreal.

And the Broncos were thisclose to being +4, had T.J. Ward scored on that fumble return near the end instead of falling down.

Also, the '85 Bears were -1 in the Super Bowl (scored 9, allowed 10).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 08:19:07 PM by KevShmev »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1737 on: October 23, 2016, 08:51:53 AM »
There has been a lot of chatter about why the NFL's ratings are down, and I honestly think the biggest reason is simple: the product is not that good anymore.  Look at the prime time games we have this year:

Carolina at Denver: good game
New England at Arizona: good game
Pittsburgh at Washington: mediocre game
Los Angeles at San Francisco: awful game
NY Jets at Buffalo: decent game
Green Bay at Minnesota: good game
Philadelphia at Chicago: awful game
Houston at New England: awful game
Chicago at Dallas: awful game
Atlanta at New Orleans: decent game
Miami at Cincinnati: awful game
Kansas City at Pittsburgh: awful game
NY Giants at Minnesota: okay game
Arizona at San Francisco: dreadful game
NY Giants at Green Bay: okay game
Tampa Bay at Carolina: awful game
Denver at San Diego: awful game
Indianapolis at Houston: awful game
NY Jets at Arizona: awful game
Chicago at Green Bay: awful game

Not a single game there that makes you say to anybody, "Hey, did you see that game last night?!"  Just loaded with awfulness.  Even some of the close games there were awful to watch.

Plus, I think the change in how the game is played now is a big reason why.  Exciting plays are what make games fun, and it seems like we rarely get those anymore.  The Beckham winning TD last week was a rare play nowadays that wowed you, and then all anybody talked about after it was him taking his helmet off, so even when we get exciting plays/moments, the stupid ass media ruins them by talking about other stuff.  If I see one more team throw a 3-yard pass on 3rd and 7, I am going to scream.  It used to be, I couldn't wait to watch football, but I am reaching the point where I will not go out of my way anymore to watch.  I am tired of watching bad football.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1738 on: October 23, 2016, 10:25:27 AM »
Alright guys, Shady with a 30 snap pitch count, or TJ Yeldon?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1739 on: October 23, 2016, 10:29:11 AM »
Touch call.  I am not starting McCoy today.  My team is stacked, so I have the depth to not start him (going with J White and J Rodgers at RB, and have Brady, Gronk, Mike Evans, both Denver WRs), but it's gonna hurt if he goes off. Fortunately, my team is 1st in standings and points. Not saying I can afford a bad week, but if this were a must-win week, I'd be rolling the dice with him.  Brady and Gronk will make up for it today. :coolio

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1740 on: October 23, 2016, 10:51:22 AM »
Thanks Keenum for giving the Giants the game!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1741 on: October 23, 2016, 11:02:59 AM »
Can't blame him for the pick-6; that was a perfect throw that Austin let bounce off his hands.  The real question is, why is a team with Case Keenum at QB throwing over 50 times a game?  Oh yeah, Jeff Fisher. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1742 on: October 23, 2016, 01:11:54 PM »
Kessler is injured, Hogan is the Browns 6th string QB.  Who is their 7th?  :lol
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 03:28:37 PM by Dr. DTVT »

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1743 on: October 23, 2016, 02:22:10 PM »
Woo! The Jets are back in the win column. The season is still probably over but it's nice to get a win against a team who they had only beaten once before until today.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1744 on: October 23, 2016, 02:27:20 PM »
Woo! The Jets are back in the win column. The season is still probably over but it's nice to get a win against a team who they had only beaten once before until today.

And us Patriots fans thank you.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1745 on: October 23, 2016, 02:28:11 PM »

And us Patriots fans thank you.

We also thank the Dolphins.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1746 on: October 23, 2016, 02:32:34 PM »
Yup.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1747 on: October 23, 2016, 03:23:14 PM »
Kudos to Dolphins running back Jay Ajayi. 4th player ever to rush for over 200 yards in back-to-back games. And he was born on this side of the Pond too!  :tup

I didn't realise until after the fact as well that today's Giants-Rams game at Twickenham was the first non-rugby sporting event held there ever. A good day for the sport here in the UK.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #1748 on: October 23, 2016, 04:17:03 PM »
No matter what happens today I think I like our chances in a playoff rematch if Ben's healthy.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1749 on: October 23, 2016, 04:19:03 PM »
Steelers D playing great right now.