7 (8.1%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
0 (0%)
Washington Redskins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots' Day: V - Screw Goodell  (Read 218657 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - Purple Reign
« Reply #1680 on: October 18, 2016, 09:21:21 AM »
I'm just hoping the Jets don't get embarassed on national TV tonight :lol

lol

Yeah. To add insult to injury, they did it with Larry Fitzgerald not getting too much production, simultaneously costing me wins in two FF leagues.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1681 on: October 18, 2016, 11:35:16 AM »
I'm just hoping the Jets don't get embarassed on national TV tonight :lol

lol

Yeah. To add insult to injury, they did it with Larry Fitzgerald not getting too much production, simultaneously costing me wins in two FF leagues.

My fantasy opponent had a 50 point lead going into last night.

I played Palmer and Johnson, hoping that at least if those guys shred up my Jets, I would win the fantasy match. 

Well, turns out, Johnson shredded up my jets, I came within 10 points and still lost.

Same ol' Jets. At least there's my Madden franchise :P

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1682 on: October 18, 2016, 11:52:06 AM »

That crap the Rams pulled at the end of their game yesterday was classic Fisher/Williams.

I don't think that's a fair assessment. I think that was sheer player frustration.  Fisher discusses it here...

https://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/rams-week-6-kneel-down-blitz-vs-lions-jeff-fisher/1w0h0c8qw2rqt11uzy6itxfk9g

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1683 on: October 18, 2016, 02:09:52 PM »
Then Fisher needs to discipline if damn players. What is he, Marvin Lewis?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1684 on: October 18, 2016, 03:17:46 PM »
That's some 7-9 bullshit if I've ever seen it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1685 on: October 18, 2016, 04:04:55 PM »
Fisher always bugged me like the Colts management always crying every year to change rules to benefit them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1686 on: October 18, 2016, 05:29:27 PM »

That crap the Rams pulled at the end of their game yesterday was classic Fisher/Williams.

I don't think that's a fair assessment. I think that was sheer player frustration.  Fisher discusses it here...

https://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/rams-week-6-kneel-down-blitz-vs-lions-jeff-fisher/1w0h0c8qw2rqt11uzy6itxfk9g

Fisher can say what he wants, but his teams have always played on the edge when it comes to crossing the line being tough and dirty, plus he hired Gregg Williams, the DC responsible for Bountygate.  That speaks for itself.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - No Romo? No Problem!
« Reply #1687 on: October 18, 2016, 06:08:41 PM »
Post-Week 6 Power Rankings
1. Minnesota - big game this week, at Philly, to see how they play coming out of the bye after being stroked by everyone
2. New England - took the best shot from a desperate Bengals team and then wiped them out
3. Atlanta - should be 5-1, if not for an awful non-call, and have proven they are for real this year
4. Dallas - Very legit, and winning like that at GB was huge
5. Denver - ugly loss without their head coach, but get him back this week
6. Seattle - got a gift, which could end up deciding home field
7. Buffalo - not sure it will last, but they deserve mad props for getting to 4-2 after many thought they fall to 0-4 after that 0-2 start
8. Kansas City - Andy Reid after a bye is always a lock
9. Pittsburgh - showing to be a paper "champion" once again
10. Washington - four in a row, like the Bills, is impressive, but can it continue?

Trending Up:

Arizona - Carson Palmer still looks iffy, but David Johnson is awesome, and that D looks ferocious again
Detroit - Matt Stafford's evolution into an above average NFL QB is being totally overlooked
Tennessee - this team is at 3-3 all of a sudden

Trending Down:

Carolina - awful D and terrible leadership
NY Jets - they are done
Philadelphia - two straight losses after a 3-0 start with a rookie QB

MVP contenders:

1. Matt Ryan
2. LeSean McCoy
3. David Johnson
4. Sam Bradford
5. Ben Roethlisberger

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1688 on: October 19, 2016, 12:52:09 AM »
Seattle made some great plays. Remember there were some non calls in Atlanta's favor earlier in the game. Pass interference on Kearse and Lockett that Atlanta got away with, it evened out. Both teams played well.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1689 on: October 19, 2016, 09:36:06 AM »
Jets have named Geno Smith the starter now.  I'm going to guess the Jets are looking for a new coach and QB next season. 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1690 on: October 19, 2016, 10:35:44 AM »
Jets have named Geno Smith the starter now.  I'm going to guess the Jets are looking for a new coach and QB next season.

I don't think they'll be looking for a new coach. He's only in his second year, they went 10-6 last year, his top corner isn't 100%, arguably his top receiver is on IR which leads to his other top receiver getting more coverage, and his starting QB has thrown games away from trying to do too much to compensate for the absence of Decker. Also, their first six game stretch of the season was hell. Only one of the teams missed the playoffs last year (the Bills, who they beat) and this is exactly where a lot of experts thought they would be at this point in the season. I think Woody decides to keep Bowles for at least another year. They definitely will be getting a new QB. I personally think that if Geno still stinks and the season really is lost, they should see what they have in Petty and Hackenberg. Look at what Trevor Siemian and Dak Prescott have done this year as later round draft picks. If either Petty or Hackenberg turn out anything like that, the Jets may have their answer at QB already in house. This was supposed to be a season where the Jets were a contender, but I don't think changing coaches yet again is the solution. Look at the Browns. Their constant carousel of coaches has led to the stunted growth of players due to a lack of continuity and a lot of coaches don't want to go there because they don't want to worry about losing their jobs after the slightest failure. Todd Bowles has shown what he can do when his entire team is at their best, and he deserves the chance to do it again.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1691 on: October 19, 2016, 11:07:48 AM »

Fisher can say what he wants, but his teams have always played on the edge when it comes to crossing the line being tough and dirty, plus he hired Gregg Williams, the DC responsible for Bountygate.  That speaks for itself.

Fisher teams have always played tough and "Through" the whistle.  He surely isn't the only coach to instill that philosophy.  Dirty?  I don't think so.  Even though I might be a little biased I don't see them as "Dirty" and I watch every game they play. I grew up watching "Dirty" with teams in the 70's and even 80's.  With the Rams, I see tough play, but that's about it.  What happened at the end of the Lions game seemed to me like frustration by the D-line over a tough fought battle in the trenches all day.  Personaly, I'm not a huge Fisher fan.  Never have been.  As far as Williams, well, I would venture a guess that he isn't the only Defensive Coordinater/Coach to have had that "Bountygate" mentality.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1692 on: October 19, 2016, 11:34:20 AM »

I don't think they'll be looking for a new coach. He's only in his second year, they went 10-6 last year, his top corner isn't 100%, arguably his top receiver is on IR which leads to his other top receiver getting more coverage, and his starting QB has thrown games away from trying to do too much to compensate for the absence of Decker. Also, their first six game stretch of the season was hell. Only one of the teams missed the playoffs last year (the Bills, who they beat) and this is exactly where a lot of experts thought they would be at this point in the season. I think Woody decides to keep Bowles for at least another year. They definitely will be getting a new QB. I personally think that if Geno still stinks and the season really is lost, they should see what they have in Petty and Hackenberg. Look at what Trevor Siemian and Dak Prescott have done this year as later round draft picks. If either Petty or Hackenberg turn out anything like that, the Jets may have their answer at QB already in house. This was supposed to be a season where the Jets were a contender, but I don't think changing coaches yet again is the solution. Look at the Browns. Their constant carousel of coaches has led to the stunted growth of players due to a lack of continuity and a lot of coaches don't want to go there because they don't want to worry about losing their jobs after the slightest failure. Todd Bowles has shown what he can do when his entire team is at their best, and he deserves the chance to do it again.

I wouldn't personally think so either about the coach given it's his second year, but after listening to some sports radio yesterday, man the media really seems against him and they have a lot of good points as to why.  Specifically the defense being terrible.  I don't know enough about Petty, but as a PSU alum, I know Hackenberg is not the answer.  I'm going to say that the Jets QB next year is not on the roster for sure and the coach is on a very hot seat even if he stays next year.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1693 on: October 19, 2016, 12:19:20 PM »
I always wonder why teams have guys like this on the roster if they're not going to develop them.

Also just heard Burfict got a fine and no suspension.  ::)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1694 on: October 19, 2016, 12:26:16 PM »

In what would has Decker proven to be as good as Marshall let better? On a team where stopping Marshall is the primary objective of any gameplan against them?

Marvin Lewis said that Burfict didn't do anything wrong. I'd say that it's time for Lewis to go, but the Bengals deserve him. Questionable leadership and managerial skills from the owner on down.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1695 on: October 19, 2016, 01:25:46 PM »
Somebody - Goodell, a collective agreement from every team's player personnel department, or another player on the field - needs to end Vontez Buttfuct's career.  I'd prefer the first two, but if some player dove at the inside of his knee from behind and gave him a catastrophic injury, it is the one time I would cheer for a player injury.

An issue to unite Steelers, Ravens, and Patriots fans.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1696 on: October 19, 2016, 02:27:27 PM »

They need a whole new team from top to bottom.

Somebody - Goodell, a collective agreement from every team's player personnel department, or another player on the field - needs to end Vontez Buttfuct's career.  I'd prefer the first two, but if some player dove at the inside of his knee from behind and gave him a catastrophic injury, it is the one time I would cheer for a player injury.

An issue to unite Steelers, Ravens, and Patriots fans.

Don't forget the Saints.   :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1697 on: October 19, 2016, 02:51:04 PM »

In what would has Decker proven to be as good as Marshall let better? On a team where stopping Marshall is the primary objective of any gameplan against them?

Marvin Lewis said that Burfict didn't do anything wrong. I'd say that it's time for Lewis to go, but the Bengals deserve him. Questionable leadership and managerial skills from the owner on down.

Marshall is definitely the more talented receiver but Decker is Fitzpatrick's go to guy when the Jets absolutely need a first down conversion or a touchdown. He is used in a more versatile way than Marshall which usually leads to him getting more targets. With him now out for the season, the Jets lost their most trusted receiver. It's a tremendous loss and one that they clearly can't overcome.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1698 on: October 19, 2016, 04:33:28 PM »
I always wonder why teams have guys like this on the roster if they're not going to develop them.

Also just heard Burfict got a fine and no suspension.  ::)

And yet with no proof that the NFL said under oath in court, Brady got 4 games.  I saw that asshole stomp on Blunt's leg. What a joke.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1699 on: October 19, 2016, 04:56:26 PM »
So maybe if the Steelers can run the ball well and play ok on special teams they can keep it within 2or 3 scores lol. One thing at least, with two supposedly model organizations with stability and success there should be hopefully little or no extra-curricular activity.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1700 on: October 19, 2016, 05:23:36 PM »
Go 2 and 2 and the Steelers should be ok.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1701 on: October 19, 2016, 07:51:31 PM »
Wow, so it turns out my prediction was right after all. On the Patriots message board someone posted a gif of Suh kicking Ben in the knee  :facepalm:.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1702 on: October 19, 2016, 07:53:34 PM »
So what does that even mean?  Asshole fans post dumb stuff? Every team has those.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1703 on: October 19, 2016, 07:57:22 PM »

Fisher teams have always played tough and "Through" the whistle.  He surely isn't the only coach to instill that philosophy.  Dirty?  I don't think so.  Even though I might be a little biased I don't see them as "Dirty" and I watch every game they play. I grew up watching "Dirty" with teams in the 70's and even 80's.  With the Rams, I see tough play, but that's about it.  What happened at the end of the Lions game seemed to me like frustration by the D-line over a tough fought battle in the trenches all day.  Personaly, I'm not a huge Fisher fan.  Never have been.  As far as Williams, well, I would venture a guess that he isn't the only Defensive Coordinater/Coach to have had that "Bountygate" mentality.

Having the mentality is one thing; coaching your players to play that way is another. 

And this isn't the 70s or 80s anymore; you have to adjust to the rules of the era, and their defense goes over the line way too often.

Lewis has to stick up for his player, but he clearly has no idea how or any interest in stopping Burfict's on field thuggish behavior.

And neither does the NFL.  What a joke this is.  He tries to take a player's knees out and gets a slap on the wrist.  How awful.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1704 on: October 20, 2016, 06:37:04 AM »
So what does that even mean?  Asshole fans post dumb stuff? Every team has those.

Whoa, calm down. I was referring to my prediction of Suh aiming at a knee, I don't have a problem with the Patriots board.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1705 on: October 20, 2016, 06:39:39 AM »
Go 2 and 2 and the Steelers should be ok.

With Jones as QB, I would be amazed if the Steelers went .500 without Ben.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1706 on: October 20, 2016, 03:54:37 PM »
Pittsburgh has no shot against NE without him, they always have a tough team agains the Ravens WITH Ben, and Dallas will be very tough to beat, so they could conceivably lose the next three.  Fortunately for them, their division isn't as good this year, so they could get him back and win the division with a 10-6 or even 9-7 record maybe.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1707 on: October 20, 2016, 05:04:06 PM »
Late to the party I know, but count me in on NFL games being too damn long. It might just be the commercials though. I am an automatic channel-changer when it comes to commercials, and eventually I get tired of either pressing buttons, or watching Peyton make cupcakes.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1708 on: October 20, 2016, 08:12:21 PM »
I can't believe how bad Aaron Rodgers is now.  This is like a Tiger Woods-esque plummet; very sudden and very fast and no one saw it coming.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1709 on: October 20, 2016, 08:15:35 PM »
This game is even more dreadful than I was expecting.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1710 on: October 20, 2016, 08:17:04 PM »
Fortunately, there is a Blues game and a baseball game on right now, as well, but every time I turn to football, it just looks awful.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1711 on: October 20, 2016, 08:26:24 PM »
Officials just gave GB 4 points.  No way was that a catch.  Just awful.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1712 on: October 20, 2016, 09:22:25 PM »
I missed that.  Been switching to other channels.  How do you figure 4 points Kev?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1713 on: October 20, 2016, 09:24:03 PM »
That bad call gave them a 1st down inside the 10 instead of it being 4th down, so instead of kicking a FG, they got a bogus 1st down and then scored a touchdown.  The way this has gone, it probably wouldn't have mattered, but it's sad to see blown calls of that nature, especially when it was looked at on replay.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1714 on: October 20, 2016, 09:29:23 PM »
Ah, I see.  Par for the course.  So far, another season of bad officiating.  Well, we can't have GB losing at home back to back.   :lol

Seriously though, as bad as GB has been playing, I still expected them to win.