7 (8.1%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
0 (0%)
Washington Redskins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots' Day: V - Screw Goodell  (Read 218805 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - Purple Reign
« Reply #1645 on: October 16, 2016, 07:37:49 PM »
I'm starting to actually feel sorry for Carolina. I refuse to believe that they're even close to as bad as their record is right now...

Every time I see like Cam Newton acting like a pouty baby in post-game press conferences, any sadness I might feel for the Panthers goes right out the window. 

Like Bill Parcells once said, you are what your record is.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1646 on: October 16, 2016, 08:54:15 PM »
I'm starting to actually feel sorry for Carolina. I refuse to believe that they're even close to as bad as their record is right now...

Every time I see like Cam Newton acting like a pouty baby in post-game press conferences, any sadness I might feel for the Panthers goes right out the window. 

Yes, and an immature punk is what Newton is.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1647 on: October 16, 2016, 08:55:58 PM »
That's okay.  That was fun seeing him get inside Burfict's head.

Well, plenty of room for him in there.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1648 on: October 16, 2016, 08:56:13 PM »
Torn meniscus for Roethlisberger.  So much for looking forward to next week's Pitt/NE game.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1649 on: October 16, 2016, 09:00:51 PM »
NFL football games have the lowest ratio of actual game action to length of broadcast of probably any sport in existence. That's the number one thing people worldwide complain about when they say they don't like American football. It's a legitimate concern.

People from other countries shouldn't even be a factor in this conversation though because they represent a microscopic fraction of the NFL's fan base and American football will very likely never become popular to any meaningful extent outside of America anyway due to how rabid most of the world is for soccer coupled with how drastically football differs from it for all the wrong reasons ("wrong" by the opinions of soccer fans.)

I'm with you on the fact that the games would be better off if they were presented more concisely but it's something we literally only watch 16-20 days of the year depending on whether or not our teams make the playoffs plus any other prime time games that may catch our interest so it's not like an extra 20-30 minutes per game is really ruining anything if that's what it takes to get calls right. Again, I'm in favor of conciseness, but I'll take longer games if that's what has to happen to avoid more egregious calls given the currently sluggish review format.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1650 on: October 16, 2016, 09:50:28 PM »
That was the most personable referee I've ever seen. I like that guy.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1651 on: October 17, 2016, 07:41:00 AM »

I've been saying this for years now.   Athletes have been talking about "adversity" for decades now - and many have actually faced "adversity".    Cam has not, and when the situation starts to veer from what he thinks it should be in his head, he folds like a bed sheet in a nice hotel.  He's their leader, and he needs to recognize that the game and the team is bigger than him.   Frankly, I think this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, and it's been clear to me for a while that the petulance and childishness is not the anomaly.  Last season is the anomaly.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1652 on: October 17, 2016, 07:45:31 AM »
NFL football games have the lowest ratio of actual game action to length of broadcast of probably any sport in existence. That's the number one thing people worldwide complain about when they say they don't like American football. It's a legitimate concern.

People from other countries shouldn't even be a factor in this conversation though because they represent a microscopic fraction of the NFL's fan base and American football will very likely never become popular to any meaningful extent outside of America anyway due to how rabid most of the world is for soccer coupled with how drastically football differs from it for all the wrong reasons ("wrong" by the opinions of soccer fans.)

I'm with you on the fact that the games would be better off if they were presented more concisely but it's something we literally only watch 16-20 days of the year depending on whether or not our teams make the playoffs plus any other prime time games that may catch our interest so it's not like an extra 20-30 minutes per game is really ruining anything if that's what it takes to get calls right. Again, I'm in favor of conciseness, but I'll take longer games if that's what has to happen to avoid more egregious calls given the currently sluggish review format.

It's also a different way of viewing.    You are so on with the "16 to 20, tops" comment, but i'll go a step further:  being on Sunday afternoon, probably half of those are a social event with friends and family.   So having the periodic breaks isn't a "bad thing", it's actually the beauty of the game.   On Thanksgiving, men, women and children all get to watch Gronk flex his guns, then go in the kitchen for another plate, then come back and see Brady looking all hot, then go in the other room for another beer, then come back and look at how cool Belichick is with his cutoff hoodie...    It's actually perfect, and that criticism will have ZERO traction with the NFL at this point. 

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1653 on: October 17, 2016, 08:14:07 AM »
Wait, the Colts lost that game? How the hell did that happen. That division is just terrible.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1654 on: October 17, 2016, 08:27:06 AM »

It's also a different way of viewing.    You are so on with the "16 to 20, tops" comment, but i'll go a step further:  being on Sunday afternoon, probably half of those are a social event with friends and family.   So having the periodic breaks isn't a "bad thing", it's actually the beauty of the game.   On Thanksgiving, men, women and children all get to watch Gronk flex his guns, then go in the kitchen for another plate, then come back and see Brady looking all hot, then go in the other room for another beer, then come back and look at how cool Belichick is with his cutoff hoodie...    It's actually perfect, and that criticism will have ZERO traction with the NFL at this point.

My biggest problem with the breaks are that the NFL changed the rules so that kick offs are mostly meaningless plays.  Yet we have commercial breaks before and after them.  So after a touchdown its like 10 minutes until the next meaningful play.  Do what college football does (which are even longer games) and remove that commercial break and I think the games would be much more enjoyable for everyone, but I doubt the NFL would consider giving up those $$$

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1655 on: October 17, 2016, 09:02:35 AM »

My biggest problem with the breaks are that the NFL changed the rules so that kick offs are mostly meaningless plays.  Yet we have commercial breaks before and after them.  So after a touchdown its like 10 minutes until the next meaningful play.  Do what college football does (which are even longer games) and remove that commercial break and I think the games would be much more enjoyable for everyone, but I doubt the NFL would consider giving up those $$$

I agree that the touchdown commercial kickoff commercial drive routine is terrible.... but that's totally different than taking a minute or two to see if a play was correctly enforced penalty-wise.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1656 on: October 17, 2016, 09:08:17 AM »
The solution is to put the refs in the booth in charge of everything, but I'm not sure we'd like that any better. Three guys upstairs can look at every play, and rather than telling the referee on the field to take a look at something, they ring him up and say "move the ball 4 inches forward" and "there was a PI you missed on that play." At that point you'll double the amount of officiating taking place and it'll suck. As we know, there's something happening on every single play, and I'm not sure we actually want the game officiated that tightly.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1657 on: October 17, 2016, 09:18:14 AM »
The solution is to put the refs in the booth in charge of everything, but I'm not sure we'd like that any better. Three guys upstairs can look at every play, and rather than telling the referee on the field to take a look at something, they ring him up and say "move the ball 4 inches forward" and "there was a PI you missed on that play." At that point you'll double the amount of officiating taking place and it'll suck. As we know, there's something happening on every single play, and I'm not sure we actually want the game officiated that tightly.

That sounds great. and I'm fine with tight officiating. Eventually, the guys will adapt and follow the rules.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1658 on: October 17, 2016, 09:22:15 AM »
Eh, there's already an insane amount of penalties a game.  One thing I noticed too when watching is now not only does every incomplete pass gets the receiver yelling for a flag, but the coaches too.  It's becoming trained to expect a flag when there is any contact during a pass.  The late flags after the complaining are terrible too.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1659 on: October 17, 2016, 09:25:12 AM »
Eh, there's already an insane amount of penalties a game.  One thing I noticed too when watching is now not only does every incomplete pass gets the receiver yelling for a flag, but the coaches too.  It's becoming trained to expect a flag when there is any contact during a pass.  The late flags after the complaining are terrible too.

I'm sure that the latter has caused teaching of the former.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1660 on: October 17, 2016, 10:02:16 AM »
Carolina's offense finally started clicking yesterday (although that's probably a function of NO's defense), which was good.  Jonathan Stewart being back was huge.

But for the life of me, I can't figure out the suddenly porous defense.  I know there have been huge changes in the defensive backfield, but they are having serious problems in the front seven, which has always been the strength of the defense.  I have no idea what is going on.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1661 on: October 17, 2016, 10:05:47 AM »
Carolina's offense finally started clicking yesterday (although that's probably a function of NO's defense), which was good.  Jonathan Stewart being back was huge.

But for the life of me, I can't figure out the suddenly porous defense.  I know there have been huge changes in the defensive backfield, but they are having serious problems in the front seven, which has always been the strength of the defense.  I have no idea what is going on.

Two Words: Josh Norman

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1662 on: October 17, 2016, 10:07:16 AM »
I've long said that if you're going to have a review process, it should be totally independent of the officials on the field. But you do sort of run into this "when does it end?" issue. I already get annoyed and walk away during most reviews. There's only so many times I can deal with the "what is a catch" scenario.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1663 on: October 17, 2016, 10:08:01 AM »

...who does not play on the front seven, which is the unexpected problem my post was about.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1664 on: October 17, 2016, 10:14:24 AM »
I'm just hoping the Jets don't get embarassed on national TV tonight :lol

regarding replay, I think it's definitely a fine line between not letting incorrect calls have a potentially huge impact on the game (like that awful non-call on the PI at the end of the SEA/ATL game) and not having what momentum rhythm the game does have get totally derailed. I'd prefer to keep the mechanism for challenges (coaches 2-3 a game, all turnover/sscoring plays and plays inside of 2 minutes originating from the booth), but open up the restrictions on what can and can't be subject to review.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1665 on: October 17, 2016, 10:22:56 AM »

...who does not play on the front seven, which is the unexpected problem my post was about.

My bad, that's what I get for skimming.  :D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1666 on: October 17, 2016, 10:57:55 AM »
 :tup

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1667 on: October 17, 2016, 11:14:22 AM »
Tomlin now 5-17 against sub-.500 teams on the road. It was never like that under Noll and Cowher.

Re: torn meniscus. Ben has gone from being Gumby to being made of glass. Too many hits I guess, plus age. As a Pitt fan I should just face reality and be satisfied with the 2 Lombardis they got during his career. It will be a LONG time before the next one.

Why is Burfict still allowed to play? Another blatant attempt to injure yesterday. He and Jeff Fisher would be a great combo.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #1668 on: October 17, 2016, 11:22:27 AM »
re: replays -- what if they made ALL non-line of scrimmage penalties/missed penalties challenge-able only during the last two minutes... and maybe add in a severe consequence if the challenge was unsuccessful. Don't know, just a salty Falcons fan here...

Here's hoping we see Seattle again in the playoffs!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1669 on: October 17, 2016, 01:15:08 PM »
re: replays -- what if they made ALL non-line of scrimmage penalties/missed penalties challenge-able only during the last two minutes... and maybe add in a severe consequence if the challenge was unsuccessful. Don't know, just a salty Falcons fan here...

Here's hoping we see Seattle again in the playoffs!

If I was a Falcons fan I would not want to see Seattle in the playoffs.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1670 on: October 17, 2016, 03:16:36 PM »
That was the most personable referee I've ever seen. I like that guy.

Screw personable. I want hardasses calling the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eslz06J9hFw&feature=youtu.be&t=15s
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1671 on: October 17, 2016, 03:29:29 PM »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1672 on: October 17, 2016, 03:30:28 PM »
Whoever was reffing the Giants game yesterday seemed to really enjoy giving calls against the Giants.  His voice seemed like he was loving getting the crowd worked up  :lol which was actually really entertaining.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1673 on: October 17, 2016, 05:29:19 PM »

I've been saying this for years now.   Athletes have been talking about "adversity" for decades now - and many have actually faced "adversity".    Cam has not, and when the situation starts to veer from what he thinks it should be in his head, he folds like a bed sheet in a nice hotel.  He's their leader, and he needs to recognize that the game and the team is bigger than him.   Frankly, I think this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, and it's been clear to me for a while that the petulance and childishness is not the anomaly.  Last season is the anomaly.

He is apparently the first NFL player ever who doesn't like to lose.

Wait, the Colts lost that game? How the hell did that happen. That division is just terrible.

I couldn't believe that when I woke up this morning.  Osweiler and the Texans both looked dead in the water last night early in the 4th, and that is not a game I expected to see a comeback.

Tomlin now 5-17 against sub-.500 teams on the road. It was never like that under Noll and Cowher.

Re: torn meniscus. Ben has gone from being Gumby to being made of glass. Too many hits I guess, plus age. As a Pitt fan I should just face reality and be satisfied with the 2 Lombardis they got during his career. It will be a LONG time before the next one.

Him being so injury-prone is partially why I have argued that Roethlisberger is not elite.  Part of being truly great is being lucky enough to stay healthy all or most of the time.

Why is Burfict still allowed to play? Another blatant attempt to injure yesterday. He and Jeff Fisher would be a great combo.

For sure.

That crap the Rams pulled at the end of their game yesterday was classic Fisher/Williams.

And yeah, Burfict ought to just be kicked out of the league.  He is a POS.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1674 on: October 17, 2016, 09:15:45 PM »
Oh I missed the Blount leg stomp by Burfict. Goodall is such a hypocrite for letting him stay in the league. Player safety!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1675 on: October 18, 2016, 06:58:08 AM »
Oh I missed the Blount leg stomp by Burfict. Goodall is such a hypocrite for letting him stay in the league. Player safety!

But he'd be gone if he stepped on and deflated Blount's balls.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1676 on: October 18, 2016, 08:16:33 AM »
I'm just hoping the Jets don't get embarassed on national TV tonight :lol

lol

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1677 on: October 18, 2016, 08:25:43 AM »
How bad must Geno Smith be if they aren't yanking Fitzpatrick?

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1678 on: October 18, 2016, 09:01:39 AM »
They did yank him.

He fumbled and threw an INT in his one drive.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1679 on: October 18, 2016, 09:11:06 AM »
At 1-5 in a conference with the Patriots, Broncos, Chiefs, and Steelers, the Jets season is pretty much over. They would most likely have to go 9-1 or even 10-0 for the rest of the season to make the playoffs. This is with two games against the Patriots and a game against the Ravens left to play. 6-10 is my generous prediction.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask