7 (8.1%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
0 (0%)
Washington Redskins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots' Day: V - Screw Goodell  (Read 218834 times)

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - Purple Reign
« Reply #1610 on: October 14, 2016, 09:31:44 AM »
I saw Splent's post, and I instantly thought of  'Color Rush Thursday'.  I see these unis, and think of what would happen if I had to wear ridiculous things like this at work. 

TNF- recall that the NFL did try this in the late 70s, and it fell out of favor real fast.  I do not understand why teams don't have a bye the Sunday BEFORE these games, for player safety.  For viewing, well, I tuned in for the last two minutes.  How long did that take?  Thirty?  There's another culprit into not enjoying games as much.

And.....how many different ways can the Chargers think of to lose/try to lose games?  Itsa always somethin'.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1611 on: October 14, 2016, 09:57:16 AM »
LOL, the unis are the least of the NFL's problems.  Fans are interested in watching competitive football.  Want things to get really interesting?  Make all the unis the same color.   :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1612 on: October 14, 2016, 10:20:51 AM »
Yeah, the unis aren't the worst thing about TNF. 

But it's up there.

I don't think there are many cases where the same color jersey/pants works very well.  Black would work, and the Panthers did that a time or two several years ago, and they were very well received.

But green?  Red?  Orange?  Blue?  Hell no, especially in the electric/neon versions the NFL trots out for these games.  Ghastly.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #1613 on: October 14, 2016, 10:53:52 AM »
Color Rush is a bad idea. At least throwback is an historic rwference. Color rush is just dumb.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1614 on: October 14, 2016, 10:57:40 AM »
NFL Mobile: Cowboys / Packers game of the week.  :lol

Thoughts Kev?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1615 on: October 14, 2016, 01:38:52 PM »
LOL, the unis are the least of the NFL's problems.  Fans are interested in watching competitive football.  Want things to get really interesting?  Make all the unis the same color.   :lol

Don't disagree, but to some degree, "competitive football" is in the eye of the beerholder.   I thought the Pats game was "competitive" football, for obvious reasons.  I think any game with Cam Newton and/or Dallas is not, for (if you follow my screeds) obvious reasons.

But even me, who will watch any game between any two teams, and my wife, who views herself as a "football widow" can't stomach those live anime exhibits on Thursday night. 

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1616 on: October 14, 2016, 02:53:54 PM »
Las Vegas Raiders, anyone...?

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #1617 on: October 14, 2016, 04:35:07 PM »

I've heard that brought up a few times, but I wonder if the league would allow a team to relocate there. Gambling ect. ect...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1618 on: October 14, 2016, 04:35:13 PM »
NFL Mobile: Cowboys / Packers game of the week.  :lol

Thoughts Kev?

3-1 team vs 4-1 team...I am fine with that.  Last year was awful, though, when Dallas had a bad record and was still featured every week on national TV.

As for the Broncos, that was pretty gross last night.  I have never seen a Broncos offensive line play as awful as the one that did last night; that was god awful.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1619 on: October 14, 2016, 07:54:03 PM »
I've heard that brought up a few times, but I wonder if the league would allow a team to relocate there. Gambling ect. ect...

Everything in place in Las Vegas, everything is lacking in Oakland, and they think the required number of owners will approve it. It's gonna happen.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1620 on: October 14, 2016, 08:58:03 PM »
What an ugly game from Denver last night... not sure how you can expect to win with a game plan that conservative on offense, unless you are playing with a lead which they never had at any point last night. Obviously it didn't help that their offensive line was awful and got called for holding seemingly every time Denver did something decent on offense. I'm really hoping the extra time off to rest and prepare for Houston next Monday will help get them back on track. Hopefully they will also have Kubiak back for that game. I'm going to be there for the game, so they better get their act together  :biggrin:

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #1621 on: October 14, 2016, 09:55:41 PM »

Everything in place in Las Vegas, everything is lacking in Oakland, and they think the required number of owners will approve it. It's gonna happen.

Is it up to the owners alone, or does Goodell get any say in it? I know that the commissioner is put in place by the owners, but I don't know how the power is distributed beyond that point.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1622 on: October 14, 2016, 10:03:22 PM »

The NFL won't say it, but they care about gambling.  The reason they make such a big deal out of teams being accurate with injury reports is because of Vegas, and let's face it, they know that gambling and fantasy football play MASSIVE roles in the popularity of the league.  Vegas is perfect for them.

What an ugly game from Denver last night... not sure how you can expect to win with a game plan that conservative on offense, unless you are playing with a lead which they never had at any point last night. Obviously it didn't help that their offensive line was awful and got called for holding seemingly every time Denver did something decent on offense. I'm really hoping the extra time off to rest and prepare for Houston next Monday will help get them back on track. Hopefully they will also have Kubiak back for that game. I'm going to be there for the game, so they better get their act together  :biggrin:

Amen to that.  I worry, however, that the offensive line will wreck the offense this year, and defensive coaches are too smart to keep letting Siemian beat them week after week now that they have game tape on him.  And while the defense is still great, it's not all-time great like last year.  They aren't as great against the run this year, and teams are figuring out to match up TEs and RBs on their linebackers in the passing game.  Time for some adjustments.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1623 on: October 15, 2016, 08:07:56 AM »
Awesome read here, written by Denver CB Chris Harris:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/top-5-nfl-receivers-chris-harris-jr/

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1624 on: October 16, 2016, 08:28:06 AM »
Amen to that.  I worry, however, that the offensive line will wreck the offense this year, and defensive coaches are too smart to keep letting Siemian beat them week after week now that they have game tape on him.  And while the defense is still great, it's not all-time great like last year.  They aren't as great against the run this year, and teams are figuring out to match up TEs and RBs on their linebackers in the passing game.  Time for some adjustments.

Couldn't agree more... unfortunately, a lot of these problems may be too difficult to address this season. I think losing Malik Jackson left a huge void in this defense. He was one of the nastiest and most underrated players on the defense. The team may have been more equipped for the loss had they not lost Vance Walker for the entire season. The lack of pressure at times has been very concerning. This team was able to survive being without DeMarcus Ware for several games last season because of players like Malik Jackson and Vance Walker. The loss of Ware is clearly much more noticeable this season because of the lack of depth on the defensive line. You just can't expect to replace guys like Jackson and Walker with a rookie and a mediocre defensive lineman in Crick.

Without guys like Jackson consistently collapsing the pocket, Quarterbacks have had a disturbing amount of time to sit back in the pocket and exploit the linebackers on this defense. This is a weakness that New England clearly identified last season, but they weren't able to take advantage of it for the most part because Denver usually was collapsing the pocket before these routes were able to develop down the field.

Oh, and thanks for sharing that article from CHJ, it was a great read  :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1625 on: October 16, 2016, 12:04:42 PM »
Pats O line killing the team today.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1626 on: October 16, 2016, 12:31:28 PM »

Couldn't agree more... unfortunately, a lot of these problems may be too difficult to address this season. I think losing Malik Jackson left a huge void in this defense. He was one of the nastiest and most underrated players on the defense. The team may have been more equipped for the loss had they not lost Vance Walker for the entire season. The lack of pressure at times has been very concerning. This team was able to survive being without DeMarcus Ware for several games last season because of players like Malik Jackson and Vance Walker. The loss of Ware is clearly much more noticeable this season because of the lack of depth on the defensive line. You just can't expect to replace guys like Jackson and Walker with a rookie and a mediocre defensive lineman in Crick.

Without guys like Jackson consistently collapsing the pocket, Quarterbacks have had a disturbing amount of time to sit back in the pocket and exploit the linebackers on this defense. This is a weakness that New England clearly identified last season, but they weren't able to take advantage of it for the most part because Denver usually was collapsing the pocket before these routes were able to develop down the field.

Oh, and thanks for sharing that article from CHJ, it was a great read  :biggrin:

Very good summation.  :tup :tup

Pats O line killing the team today.

Bengals D came to play, but their offense isn't good enough.  Losing their number 2 and 3 WRs and not having their stud TE is really hurting them.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1627 on: October 16, 2016, 12:42:06 PM »
Their D was stellar last year.  They've struggled a bit this year but look great today.  4 man rush getting pressure.   The recipe to beat the Pat's O.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Dream Team

Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - Week V: The Empire Strikes Back
« Reply #1628 on: October 16, 2016, 12:50:22 PM »
Classic trap game for Pitt this Sunday, on the road vs an inferior opponent with NE looming around the corner. On top of that I have to worry about how many ankles and knees Suh will be trying to take out.

Well, just like I said, except it wasn't Suh.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1629 on: October 16, 2016, 12:57:37 PM »
Looked like his knee.   I hope it isn't bad. I hate seeing that.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1630 on: October 16, 2016, 01:36:49 PM »
Jesus Gronk.  Yapping away costing a possible 4 points.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1631 on: October 16, 2016, 01:37:31 PM »
That's okay.  That was fun seeing him get inside Burfict's head.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1632 on: October 16, 2016, 01:38:24 PM »
That's easy. :lol

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #1633 on: October 16, 2016, 04:06:49 PM »
Packers once again looking stagnant offensively. I'm getting REALLY frustrated with McCarthy
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1634 on: October 16, 2016, 04:10:42 PM »
McCarthy's play calling is awful, and Rodgers is not the QB he once was.  It's a combination of the two.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1635 on: October 16, 2016, 05:02:58 PM »
St. Rogers certainly doesn't look like himself, but they're losing because Dallas is beating them badly.

And I wouldn't have expected DP's first interception to look that ugly.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1636 on: October 16, 2016, 05:39:58 PM »
Atlanta just got totally robbed.  Unbelievable how officials can miss a PI that blatant.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1637 on: October 16, 2016, 05:41:46 PM »
Atlanta just got totally robbed.  Unbelievable how officials can miss a PI that blatant.

That was a terrible, game altering non-call. Quinn had every right to be irate.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1638 on: October 16, 2016, 05:43:37 PM »
It was only blatant on the instant replay, with the good angle and slow motion. In realtime I thought it was good, clean coverage and a really ill-advised throw. Yeah, they got robbed, but it's one of those things that can and will happen.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1639 on: October 16, 2016, 05:55:40 PM »
They use instant replay to get the calls right. Time to use it to get the penalties (or lack thereof) right too.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1640 on: October 16, 2016, 06:04:29 PM »
I'm starting to actually feel sorry for Carolina. I refuse to believe that they're even close to as bad as their record is right now...

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1641 on: October 16, 2016, 06:17:10 PM »
They use instant replay to get the calls right. Time to use it to get the penalties (or lack thereof) right too.
No way I want them spending time reviewing more things. Not the way they do it in the NFL. If they had a cleaner, faster process for it, maybe.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1642 on: October 16, 2016, 06:29:22 PM »
You know, I think the replay, slow motion in HDTV has made it easy to second guess the refs.  There is more replays these days.  I also think these rules on top of rules have made it harder to refresh these games.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1643 on: October 16, 2016, 07:03:37 PM »
No way I want them spending time reviewing more things. Not the way they do it in the NFL. If they had a cleaner, faster process for it, maybe.

I would rather them take their time and get it right instead of rushing and getting things wrong. Never understood the argument against games taking too long.  There's only 16 games per team per year. What's the rush?

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1644 on: October 16, 2016, 07:08:33 PM »

I would rather them take their time and get it right instead of rushing and getting things wrong. Never understood the argument against games taking too long.  There's only 16 games per team per year. What's the rush?
NFL football games have the lowest ratio of actual game action to length of broadcast of probably any sport in existence. That's the number one thing people worldwide complain about when they say they don't like American football. It's a legitimate concern.