7 (8.1%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
0 (0%)
Washington Redskins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots' Day: V - Screw Goodell  (Read 218837 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - Week V: The Empire Strikes Back
« Reply #1540 on: October 10, 2016, 07:53:25 AM »
Damn the Giants are hard to watch.  From the massive amount of penalties to not getting any bit of pressure on defense.  Their good start is really fading and crumbling.  Luckily for them, the two wins are in the division that could help if they actually fix their issues, but that seems unlikely as Dallas looks legit.  Glad to have Elliot on my fantasy team at least  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1541 on: October 10, 2016, 09:22:24 AM »
Eli looks awful this year.

Rodgers still isn't himself. Still not sure if it's the predictable play calling or maybe he's just not the player he once was. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1542 on: October 10, 2016, 09:24:08 AM »

Yea, he looks very lost.  It's crazy because the Giants have such good receivers, but i think not having a run game is really hurting the pass game.  Eli looked significantly better with Jennings and Vereen playing.  Lately he has looked like a deer in headlights. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1543 on: October 10, 2016, 09:41:42 AM »
Romo is the better passer. With that RB and O-line they will have the potential to make a run with Romo adding the deep pass threat. Dak has played well but you go with the most talent.

Dak has been more accurate than Romo and doesn't turn the ball over.  I'm sure Dak can throw the ball deep when the opportunity is there.  They don't need a long pass threat.  Their strategy has been methodical by running the ball and quick short passes.  Keeping the other team's defense on the field and theirs off the field.

If Dak continues to play well, then my vote is to keep him in.

Dallas needs to stick with Prescott.

And get rid of Dez Bryant.  They don't need that diva WR to win.  WRs are overrated anyway when it comes to winning real football games.

Totally agree and Dez is like TO.  Don't need that again.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1544 on: October 10, 2016, 09:43:50 AM »
I'd keep Dak.  He is more likely the future of Dallas than Romo. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1545 on: October 10, 2016, 10:23:47 AM »
Romo represents the higher upside for this season. DP is probably the better QB and certainly the future of the team, but we're seeing solid, consistent play from him. Romo can bring spectacular play, which I'm not sure DP is up for yet.

Either way. Dallas is a bona fide team at this point.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1546 on: October 10, 2016, 10:57:30 AM »
Not sure what you mean by DP not up for spectacular play.  He has already proven that he is.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1547 on: October 10, 2016, 11:18:48 AM »
Spectacular in his solidness, perhaps. He's yet to crack 300 yards. He's got one 2 touchdown game. Again, he's playing very, very well, but he hasn't seemed like he's ready to explode for 400 yards and 4 touchdowns. Romo is a threat to do that when he's healthy. Were it me, I'd keep the guy in even if Romo were healthy. I'm just pointing out that there is an argument to be made for Romo playing. Greater upside for the very immediate future.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1548 on: October 10, 2016, 12:04:27 PM »
I think the Patriots and Cowboys should both be pleased that they have their QB's of the future. Especially considering the amount of teams that don't have ONE solid starting QB.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1549 on: October 10, 2016, 03:43:54 PM »
I'm not banking on Garappalo being the QB of the future. Might be. Might pull a Cassel and bolt for stupid, unwarranted money.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1550 on: October 10, 2016, 03:48:46 PM »
It's hard to bank on it because there's no telling how much longer Brady can play. It's not like he'll be slated to take over in the near future.
The Pats do have a decision to make at some point though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1551 on: October 10, 2016, 04:14:44 PM »
The thing about Brady is how durable he is but also can read a play before and during that he can get rid of a pass so fast and not get hit.

People crap on the so called 2 yard dump but it's proven to keep him upright.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1552 on: October 10, 2016, 04:38:57 PM »

People crap on the so called 2 yard dump but it's proven to keep him upright.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1553 on: October 10, 2016, 05:08:08 PM »
 :rollin

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1554 on: October 10, 2016, 05:13:19 PM »
 :lol

Also :TAC:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1555 on: October 10, 2016, 05:56:45 PM »
It's hard to bank on it because there's no telling how much longer Brady can play. It's not like he'll be slated to take over in the near future.

If they are smart, and we know they are, they should count on Brady being Brady for the rest of this year and next, and that's it.  So it's a matter of whether or not Garappalo wants to wait two years to play again or how they'll have to work his contact for the time being (when is his contract up??).

Yea, he looks very lost.  It's crazy because the Giants have such good receivers, but i think not having a run game is really hurting the pass game.  Eli looked significantly better with Jennings and Vereen playing.  Lately he has looked like a deer in headlights.

He's missing way too many open receivers, and that has nothing to do with the running game, IMO.  He just looks like he forgot how to play QB.

And get rid of Dez Bryant.  They don't need that diva WR to win.  WRs are overrated anyway when it comes to winning real football games.

From a diva standpoint, yes.

From a playing standpoint, I say no.   Dez isn't nearly the WR that Owens in his prime was.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1556 on: October 10, 2016, 06:20:30 PM »

If they are smart, and we know they are, they should count on Brady being Brady for the rest of this year and next, and that's it.  So it's a matter of whether or not Garappalo wants to wait two years to play again or how they'll have to work his contact for the time being (when is his contract up??).
He's signed through 2017. End of next year they'll be facing a tough decision. Wacky as it may sound, they might up and dump Brady after next year.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1557 on: October 10, 2016, 06:29:26 PM »
All depends on how he plays and if he starts to show signs of Father Time catching up.  As we all know, Father Time usually doesn't slowly creep up on you; he tip toes up and clobbers you when you're not looking.  And Brady will be 40 in less than a year. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1558 on: October 10, 2016, 06:40:30 PM »
Bill's not generally one to wait around for people to lose it. If he really thinks that Jimmy is the future he won't for Brady, either.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1559 on: October 10, 2016, 06:53:42 PM »
The only monkey wrench is this is a one of a kind player that hasn't shown any decline.  It will happen very quick but damn, not so far.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1560 on: October 10, 2016, 07:45:13 PM »

From a diva standpoint, yes.

From a playing standpoint, I say no.   Dez isn't nearly the WR that Owens in his prime was.

Exactly, and Dez really hasn't done much of anything to even acquire diva status to begin with.

Also, this MNF game is a snooze fest if I ever saw one.  Almost feels like a Thursday night.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1561 on: October 10, 2016, 07:56:20 PM »
The only monkey wrench is this is a one of a kind player that hasn't shown any decline.  It will happen very quick but damn, not so far.

That's not true that he hasn't show any decline.  He can't throw the deep ball consistently as he used to (and the numbers over the last few years demonstrate this).  Don't get me wrong, he is still great, but I am sure much of the reason they have gone to the shorter passing game is because they know he can't throw it deep as accurately and consistently anymore.

Exactly, and Dez really hasn't done much of anything to even acquire diva status to begin with.

Not to the level of Owens, but last week's report about how he has missed a ton of team meetings over the last few years is a good start. :lol :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1562 on: October 10, 2016, 07:59:19 PM »
The deep pass mean nothing. They are not built to need it and he connected with 2 deep passes Sunday.   A great pitcher adapt when he doesn't have that 98 mph pitch all the time and that's what Brady is doing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1563 on: October 10, 2016, 08:06:48 PM »
I said "consistently." ;)  Of those two deep passes yesterday, one was a perfect throw, and the other he overthrew Hogan, who made a diving catch on what should have been an easy catch and score.  And, again, given how smart Belichick and his coaching staff are, I suspect they reworked the offense because they could see his deep ball wasn't as good as it used to be.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1564 on: October 10, 2016, 08:12:26 PM »
That's been the plan the last 5 or 6 years.  Also it's helped him style on the field. No need to throw the long ball unless they give it to you. 

I never get "He doesn't throw the long ball" talk.  So what, they have a hard time stopping the short ball with him., the stats prove that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1565 on: October 10, 2016, 08:12:52 PM »
Except when he plays the Broncos lately. :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1566 on: October 10, 2016, 08:20:58 PM »
 :lol

That's for sure!  Though. Good stats buy not Brady stats.  The Broncos D are so damn fast.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1567 on: October 10, 2016, 08:26:34 PM »
I forgot there was even a game on tonight.

WTF? Why the hell did that dude run into the punter??

Oh, and John Gruden SUCKS! Does anyone actually like him?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1568 on: October 10, 2016, 08:34:40 PM »
I wasn't wild about Gruden at first, because of his tendency to talk every player up, but he's toned that way down, and I think he does a really good job now; very insightful.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1569 on: October 10, 2016, 08:39:31 PM »
He's annoying, but his understanding of the game is just so damned good good.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1570 on: October 10, 2016, 08:54:13 PM »
I don't mind Gruden and he does have a very good understanding of the game.  Anybody know why Terico isn't there anymore?  Maybe he didn't like Gruden.   :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1571 on: October 10, 2016, 09:26:21 PM »
The lack of discipline by the Panthers is staggering.  This game is a prime example of how not to coach NFL football, on both sides.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1572 on: October 10, 2016, 10:18:14 PM »
I don't mind Gruden and he does have a very good understanding of the game.  Anybody know why Terico isn't there anymore?  Maybe he didn't like Gruden.   :lol
Well he moved to NBC and by all reports will be replacing Al Michaels. Not a bad gig to shoot for.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1573 on: October 11, 2016, 07:31:59 AM »
I made the call on Tampa in the football pool, proud to say. 

As for Brady, whether he lost a step or not, the odds favor that he has, but I think it's 10% that, and 90%, you don't need to air it out - risking interception, and more importantly, requiring more time to throw which puts HIM at risk - when you can connect regularly with Gronk, Bennett, Edelman, and Amendola on 20, 25 yarders down the middle.  The Pats OWN that section of the field, and it fits nicely with their precise timing and the one thing that Brady does as well as any quarterback in the history of the game:  GET RID OF THE BALL QUICKLY. 

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - No Romo? No Problem!
« Reply #1574 on: October 11, 2016, 12:07:32 PM »
I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE seeing the Vikings ranked that high. I can't wait to see them crash down.

You might be waiting a while. They look legit.

Yes and it makes me want to puke.

On the plus side, the packers are pretty much the only team they haven't completely dominated.
I don’t know what to put here anymore