7 (8.1%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
0 (0%)
Washington Redskins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots' Day: V - Screw Goodell  (Read 218812 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - No Brady? No Problem!
« Reply #1295 on: September 25, 2016, 07:02:43 PM »
Jason Garrett is an idiot.  Wasted a challenge and timeout on the opening drive when he's got 1st & goal on the half yd line.   :lol

Yep! He must have Witten on his fantasy team.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1296 on: September 25, 2016, 07:44:55 PM »
If the season ended today, the Rams would win the NFC West. :lol :lol :lol

Days like today are why I think Tomlin is overrated.  The Steelers have a few games every year under him where they just don't show up.

Carson Wentz is the real deal already.

I wonder if those ESPN dopes will still have Carolina ranked ahead of the Broncos... :lol :lol

Oh, and Ryan Fitzpatrick just threw another pick.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1297 on: September 25, 2016, 07:54:33 PM »
I'm just wondering when the Vikings can get a win and have the commentary say they're the real deal. Each victory, there seems to be some excuse. Last week: "Oh, Aaron Rodgers had an off day, what happened?!" This week: "The protests and heat really was distracting for Carolina."
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1298 on: September 25, 2016, 08:02:22 PM »
Yep, they are getting disrespected big time.  On PTI the other day, they actually wondered if they were done altogether, simply because AP was hurt.  It's like, have people not seen their defense play??  And Bradford is probably an upgrade over Bridgewater.

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #1299 on: September 25, 2016, 08:28:26 PM »

Days like today are why I think Tomlin is overrated.  The Steelers have a few games every year under him where they just don't show up.

They've done the same under every coach they've ever had. The only exceptions that I can think of are the two separate seasons in the early 2000's when they went 15-1 then lost to the patriots in the AFC Championship each time. They're just one of those teams that makes you scratch your head on occasion.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1300 on: September 25, 2016, 09:42:16 PM »
I guess Elway never forgets...

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1301 on: September 26, 2016, 06:37:51 AM »
Holy smokes the Eagles are for real. Another NFL record falls, Steelers had gone 300+ games without trailing by more than 30 until yesterday's debacle. If they don't bounce back strong against KC next week I'm writing them off for this year.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1302 on: September 26, 2016, 06:44:44 AM »
Since the beginning of last season, Roethlisberger has 27 touchdown passes and 20 interceptions; that is Jay Cutler-like.  But he's the 3rd best QB in the league, right? :lol :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1303 on: September 26, 2016, 06:46:49 AM »
Since the beginning of last season, Roethlisberger has 27 touchdown passes and 20 interceptions; that is Jay Cutler-like.  But he's the 3rd best QB in the league, right? :lol :lol

Well, as usual you're cherry-picking one stat (TD to INT ratio). I could do that with any QB and make them look worse than they are.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1304 on: September 26, 2016, 06:58:07 AM »
You don't think touchdowns and interceptions are important?

To me, the best indicators statistically of how good a QB is are TD-INT ratio, YPA and passer rating or QBR (both of which I would concede are flawed stats, but still good indicators).  I don't put as much stock in total passing yards as others do (YPA is better, since it tells you what a QB does with his passes, instead of them racking up lots of yards in blowouts or shootouts), and I think completion percentage is now totally overrated, largely because so many QBs throw a million passes that are behind the line of scrimmage or no more than five yards past.  That is why I was impressed with Siemian yesterday; he was throwing it down field, and throwing it well.  And that is something Roethlisberger usually does well, too.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1305 on: September 26, 2016, 07:29:43 AM »
Not to pile on, but the Jets looked horrible.  I get it, the INTs were Fitz looking to be a hero, but even beyond that, they looked horrible.   No fire, no guts...  the last score, the offense played that INT return like it was two-hand touch.   

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1306 on: September 26, 2016, 08:30:35 AM »
The Panthers really stunk it up after the first quarter.  Not only did they have a good team they were facing, they also made too many mistakes, and too many turnovers.  Can't do that against a good team.

One big thing they need to improve on is in-game adjustments to the offensive game plan.  Minnesota figured out fairly quickly what Carolina was doing, but we never changed what we were doing. 

Not to take anything away from the Vikings.  They played great and deserved to win.  Their front 7 played lights out.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1307 on: September 26, 2016, 10:09:08 AM »
Jason Garrett is an idiot.  Wasted a challenge and timeout on the opening drive when he's got 1st & goal on the half yd line.   :lol

Yep! He must have Witten on his fantasy team.

:lol  Yeah, too bad he didn't see Witten's foot go out of bounds before the ball crossed the pylon.

Yep, they are getting disrespected big time.  On PTI the other day, they actually wondered if they were done altogether, simply because AP was hurt.  It's like, have people not seen their defense play??  And Bradford is probably an upgrade over Bridgewater.

Yeah, Viking's defense is lights out.  Stopping the other team from scoring is just as important as offensive scoring, if not more so.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1308 on: September 26, 2016, 10:34:28 AM »
Heck, if we look at the champions in the 21st century, how many great defenses?

How many had stud QBs?

The number is far more lopsided in favor of defense (especially since Manning wasn't a stud QB anymore last year; Brady wasn't a stud for NE's first two titles, maybe even three; same for Roethlisberger for the Steelers '05 title). 

Play really good/great defense, have a QB who can make plays when he has to, win in the trenches, and get great coaching; that is a recipe for winning it all.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1309 on: September 26, 2016, 10:49:44 AM »
Yeah, the 2000 Ravens are also a good example.  They kickstarted the 21st Century with lights out defense.  Dilfer was never even close to being an elite QB and they still won it all.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1310 on: September 26, 2016, 10:55:32 AM »
You've got to have a better than average D to win a SB.  The only D I think of that was not un the upper half of the league was the 2009 Saints.  Though, they caused a ton of turnovers.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1311 on: September 26, 2016, 11:31:55 AM »
I didn't get to see the game Thur night, but starting a game with only one QB on the active roster blows my mind. Part of me is sorry that Edelman didn't have to play a series. I love seeing emergency quarterbacks and kickers kicking having to sub for each other (not to mention Chad Johnson). Edelman in particular, since he's also been an emergency DB in the past, helping to seal a playoff win against Baltimore, if I'm not mistaken (and Kev will certainly point out if I am  :lol).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1312 on: September 26, 2016, 11:33:55 AM »
Speaking of being low on QB's, Terrelle Pryor certainly had a hell of a performance this week.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1313 on: September 26, 2016, 11:41:12 AM »
Speaking of being low on QB's, Terrelle Pryor certainly had a hell of a performance this week.
Their rookie starter actually played very well. The reason I picked Cleveland in that game was because an unknown rookie was sure to be a huge improvement over anybody they ever actually intend to start.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1314 on: September 26, 2016, 12:08:31 PM »
Their rookie starter actually played very well. The reason I picked Cleveland in that game was because an unknown rookie was sure to be a huge improvement over anybody they ever actually intend to start.
I was convinced they would beat Baltimore (and I paid the price for that pick). They almost did, and they certainly should have. But so it goes with Cleveland.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1315 on: September 26, 2016, 12:19:26 PM »
I'll never understand head coaches that coach not to win.  Cleveland gets a fumble victory at the Miami 27 with 20 seconds left in a tie game with one timeout left.  And their kicker had struggled all day, so what does Hue Jackson do?  Have his QB kneel to lose a yard so they can kick the FG as time runs out. :facepalm: :lol  And of course the kicker missed the FG, and they later lost in OT. Not like it matters since neither Miami nor Cleveland are going anywhere this year, but to be that gutless? I just don't get it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1316 on: September 26, 2016, 12:30:17 PM »
They certainly could have afforded a play or two to get closer than 47yds. They'd played fairly mistake free, and even if something did go wrong Ryan Tannehill was Cleveland's best player.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1317 on: September 26, 2016, 04:10:46 PM »
Amazing that with all of the young talent at QB in the NFL, teams like the Browns and Dolphins still can't find a good one. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1318 on: September 26, 2016, 04:46:29 PM »
The QB is the hardest position to get the greats.  You can get average then it's up to them to progress or regress.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1319 on: September 26, 2016, 05:20:13 PM »
Amazing that with all of the young talent at QB in the NFL, teams like the Browns and Dolphins still can't find a good one.
And then some teams just blunder their way into one. It's early, but I think it's fair to say that Dak Prescott is at the very least a good quarterback. Maybe not a franchise guy, but compared to the losers Cleveland and Miami are always stuck with he's a find.
E.F. Benson

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1320 on: September 26, 2016, 05:35:03 PM »
If the season ended today, the Rams would win the NFC West. :lol :lol :lol

Well...no need to get nasty!   ;D

If they get by the Gridbirds Sunday...I'll have a lil more hope.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1321 on: September 26, 2016, 06:35:12 PM »
Actually, that's more of a slam to the other 3 teams in that division.   :lol

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1322 on: September 26, 2016, 08:10:30 PM »
You've got to have a better than average D to win a SB.  The only D I think of that was not un the upper half of the league was the 2009 Saints.  Though, they caused a ton of turnovers.
I don't want to remember the 2009 Saints. As a Minnesotan and Vikings fan, it's still a hard thing to talk to about  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1323 on: September 26, 2016, 08:59:13 PM »
Wow, Bree's got jinxed by Gruden on that 90 yd pick six.  Giving him accolades for the great pass on the previous play.  Hmmm...nice pass.  :o

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #1324 on: September 27, 2016, 06:01:29 PM »
I'll take this opportunity to say "Go Falcons" -- as who knows when such a chance will present itself again. Last year we were 5-0 and missed the playoffs, so my enthusiasm will stay sufficiently curbed for now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1325 on: September 27, 2016, 07:00:49 PM »
Post-Week 3 Power Rankings
1. Denver - great performance by Siemian in his first road start ever
2. New England - Just give Belichick Coach of the Year now
3. Minnesota - Vikings defense is becoming scary good
4. Philadelphia - Doug Pederson is doing a fantastic job
5. Baltimore - I'll be curious to see how they fare against the big boys this year, but 3-0 cannot be argued with
6. Pittsburgh - shameful performance, but I suspect they will bounce back
7. Carolina - might seem odd to have a 1-2 team this high, but they've lost to the number 1 and 3 teams
8. Kansas City - utter domination of a good Jets team
9. Green Bay - is the offense really back or was that just a really bad Lions D?
10. Dallas - brutal stretch coming up soon will tell the tale as to how good this team really is

Trending Up:

Atlanta - two road wins is impressive, but they've got some really tough games coming up
Los Angeles - I will give them props for winning two straight after that debacle against SF opening weekend
Oakland - I suspect this team will be schizo all year, but they have some actual hope for the first time in over a decade

Trending Down:

Houston - still 2-1, but any team that loses like that to a 3rd string QB is trending down, at least for now
Cincinnati - brutal schedule so far; can they turn it around?
NY Jets - did Ryan Fitzpatrick finally remember who he is?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1326 on: September 27, 2016, 07:10:08 PM »
You're top 5 is perfect.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1327 on: September 27, 2016, 07:12:54 PM »
Thanks. :coolio

Wanna good laugh?  I checked out ESPN's power rankings, and they have Arizona at number 5.  The same Arizona team that is 1-2 and just got pummeled by a crappy Bills team. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1328 on: September 27, 2016, 07:20:18 PM »
You're top 5 is perfect.

Arizona definitely does not belong at #5, Kev.

But I have a had time ranking the Ravens at #5, despite their 3-0 record.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1329 on: September 27, 2016, 07:21:03 PM »
I know. Wtf is wrong with them?!