7 (8.1%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
0 (0%)
Washington Redskins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots' Day: V - Screw Goodell  (Read 219073 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - RIP Dennis Green
« Reply #1085 on: September 11, 2016, 06:19:47 PM »
Just poured myself a giant glass of 10% ABV beer because I'm a fucking Jets fan  :censored

Nick Folk leaving four points on the table really screwed them. Four very easy points. Fitz may have thrown a pick, but he should have never been in that situation in the first place. A waste of an outstanding game from the D-line. Still, the Bengals are a great team and the Jets played them hard until the end of the game and had Folk not missed a chip shot field goal and an extra point, they probably would have won against a team that has made the playoffs for five straight seasons. I'm still optimistic for this season despite the loss.

Thanks Jets  ::)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1086 on: September 11, 2016, 06:31:10 PM »
Notice to all.... Luck is back.....

Instant top 5.

Dude, it was against the Lions.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1087 on: September 11, 2016, 07:08:29 PM »
I'll never get over how stupid some NFL players are when it comes to time management and situational awareness.

See: Terrance Williams and Marvin Jones.
We figured Williams knew the CB was going to keep him in bounds and opted to go for it. However, if he had that situational awareness, he should have known the safety was behind him and taken the chance for the sideline.  Nevertheless, promising start for Dallas.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1088 on: September 11, 2016, 07:34:43 PM »
Notice to all.... Luck is back.....

Instant top 5.

Dude, it was against the Lions.

Far from the best defense but far from the worst in the league. Point is, Colts needed every bit of what Luck gave them to get that win.  When Luck is healthy, and has more than .5 seconds to get rid of the ball, he has proven that he can compete at an elite level.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1089 on: September 11, 2016, 08:55:36 PM »
I'll never get over how stupid some NFL players are when it comes to time management and situational awareness.

We figured Williams knew the CB was going to keep him in bounds and opted to go for it. However, if he had that situational awareness, he should have known the safety was behind him and taken the chance for the sideline.  Nevertheless, promising start for Dallas.

Eh, they looked like the Romo-less Cowboys of last year: good enough to dominate the time of possessions thanks to their offensive line, but not good enough to finish drives, and just good enough to barely lose.  And losing a home game to a division opponent is never a good start.

When Luck is healthy, and has more than .5 seconds to get rid of the ball, he has proven that he can compete at an elite level.

We'll see. 

He better hope his line shows up next week vs the Broncos, or he will get a lot of what Cam got the other night.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1090 on: September 11, 2016, 09:48:16 PM »

Eh, they looked like the Romo-less Cowboys of last year: good enough to dominate the time of possessions thanks to their offensive line, but not good enough to finish drives, and just good enough to barely lose.  And losing a home game to a division opponent is never a good start.
I can see that. At the same time, last year it looked like they were scraping the bottom of the barrel just to hang in games. I never got the impression they could be any better than they were with the players they had available. I thought that the team they fielded today could play a much better game than they did. That doesn't make them a playoff contender, but it did look like a big improvement over last year's Romo-less Cowboys.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1091 on: September 12, 2016, 04:22:56 AM »
Mother  :censored!!! So a missed field goal sinks the Jets AND leads the Pats to victory. This season is not off to a good start for me.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1092 on: September 12, 2016, 04:39:15 AM »
This was the chance for all 3 AFC East teams and to see all 3 lose and the Pats win had to be disheartening for all of those teams fans.  I myself did not expect this outcome in week 1.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1093 on: September 12, 2016, 06:04:25 AM »
I can see that. At the same time, last year it looked like they were scraping the bottom of the barrel just to hang in games. I never got the impression they could be any better than they were with the players they had available. I thought that the team they fielded today could play a much better game than they did. That doesn't make them a playoff contender, but it did look like a big improvement over last year's Romo-less Cowboys.

Prescott certainly has more upside than the bozos they threw out there last year when Romo was hurt, but while you don't want your rookie QB playing reckless, they can't expect to win with him by coaching him to play that conservatively.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1094 on: September 12, 2016, 06:40:56 AM »
This was the chance for all 3 AFC East teams and to see all 3 lose and the Pats win had to be disheartening for all of those teams fans.  I myself did not expect this outcome in week 1.

The Patriots have not had to compete against an elite QB in their division during the entirety of the Belichick/Brady era, so this does not surprise me at all. Business as usual in the AFC East. Yesterday's result also showed that anyone QBing for that team can win; on the road; against a great team even. Heck, they went 11-5 with Matt Cassell.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1095 on: September 12, 2016, 07:00:16 AM »

The Patriots have not had to compete against an elite QB in their division during the entirety of the Belichick/Brady era, so this does not surprise me at all. Business as usual in the AFC East. Yesterday's result also showed that anyone QBing for that team can win; on the road; against a great team even. Heck, they went 11-5 with Matt Cassell.

Wow, that's some deep football analysis.  If you can't watch that game and see where Brady brings something intangible to the table - not to mention the mindset of knowing, as a team "we have to persevere through x (be it 4 or 16) games without our leader" - then you're not really paying attention.  Garoppolo is a very good QB, and he played well, but that's not the same team without Brady, no doubt.   

There's no doubt that's a very very good team, with great depth and great coaching.   They were missing Brady, Gronk, Ninkovich, and Jones (who was on the other side of the ball) and yet they played very well.  It actually shouldn't have been that close.   Fitzgerald is a monster in every good meaning of that word (he is one of the very few receivers that can take control of a field; watch the last two drives if you need proof), and that fumble by LeGarrett was a really unfortunate event (and thus overshadowed that incredible touchdown run about three minutes before.

Haters gonna hate, this isn't a surprise to those that know this team.   In post 713 on page 21 (yes, I looked it up) I called "3-1 on Brady's return".   Ploayoffs are a totally different story (the Cassells team didn't make the playoffs, it should be noted, and Belichick didn't lift a finger to keep him once he got a whiff of "I can start in this league"). 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 07:06:17 AM by Stadler »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1096 on: September 12, 2016, 07:02:35 AM »

11-5 from a stacked 18-1 team.  Yes the team is well coached but Brady makes the difference to have a yearly chance to get to the Superbowl.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1097 on: September 12, 2016, 07:15:35 AM »
The Patriots are going to have another great season.  Go figure.

I watched the Tampa Bay/Atlanta game, and it was very entertaining.  Not sure if TB has improved that much or Atlanta is worse.  Probably a bit of both, I suppose.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1098 on: September 12, 2016, 07:17:39 AM »
There is something to be said about a Belichick coached team.  I don't think you can put just anyone in at QB but if you understand the system and have decent skill, you could win pretty consistently.  These guys who have filled in for Brady fit those molds, I wouldn't expect them to be 18-1 type teams without Brady but 10-11 wins is very possible.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1099 on: September 12, 2016, 07:18:21 AM »
I watched the Tampa Bay/Atlanta game, and it was very entertaining.  Not sure if TB has improved that much or Atlanta is worse.  Probably a bit of both, I suppose.

Tampa looked like a much improved team if you ask me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1100 on: September 12, 2016, 07:25:05 AM »
There were a couple of incredible catches for TDs for Tampa Bay.  If Winston and his receivers stay on the same page like that all season, they will have a good year.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1101 on: September 12, 2016, 07:31:03 AM »
Huge win for the Chiefs against a division opponent. I think the AFC West is going to be the best division in the NFL this year.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1102 on: September 12, 2016, 08:53:51 AM »
Russell Wilson might miss his next start for the first time.  Thanks Suh.  Hawks looking for another QB.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1103 on: September 12, 2016, 09:29:48 AM »
There is something to be said about a Belichick coached team.  I don't think you can put just anyone in at QB but if you understand the system and have decent skill, you could win pretty consistently.  These guys who have filled in for Brady fit those molds, I wouldn't expect them to be 18-1 type teams without Brady but 10-11 wins is very possible.
I think the quality of play that they were able to get out of Matt Cassell will always be the ultimate example of what Belichick and his coaching staff can do. He was positively abysmal everywhere else he went.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1104 on: September 12, 2016, 01:19:11 PM »
Russell Wilson might miss his next start for the first time.  Thanks Suh.  Hawks looking for another QB.

Sam Bradford!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1105 on: September 12, 2016, 02:09:29 PM »

Sam Bradford!

Sam Bradford might be hoisting a Lombardi Trophy. The NFC is up for grabs, and that Minnesota defense and running game are good enough to shock some folks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1106 on: September 12, 2016, 05:01:06 PM »

Sam Bradford!

Sam Bradford might be hoisting a Lombardi Trophy. The NFC is up for grabs, and that Minnesota defense and running game are good enough to shock some folks.

I can't see them winning it all, but they are legit, especially after seeing how not great some of the supposed other NFC contenders looked this way. Carolina looked fine despite the loss, but Arizona, GB and Seattle all look like they have a ways to go.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1107 on: September 12, 2016, 05:18:38 PM »
LOLbert Griffin III is on IR. WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THAT COMING?

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1108 on: September 12, 2016, 05:32:33 PM »
LOLbert Griffin III is on IR. WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THAT COMING?

Stay classy?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1109 on: September 12, 2016, 05:44:36 PM »
I know, glass houses, praying that Russell Wilson isn't hurt that bad. It's just RG3 just doesn't seem like he's going to carve out a career anywhere. It is unfortunate because of all the talent. It was a LOL at the team who signed him.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1110 on: September 12, 2016, 06:02:29 PM »
RG3 is just not a smart player.  He still hasn't figured out that sliding is the way to go, and that is why he broke a bone in his shoulder. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1111 on: September 12, 2016, 10:15:02 PM »
I actually feel bad for LA football fans.  They finally got a team, one that is a complete and total embarrassment.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1112 on: September 12, 2016, 11:33:34 PM »
This felt just like San Francisco's beatdown of Minnesota in their opening game last year. Except LA isn't going to turn it around to nearly the extent that Minnesota did.

San Francisco still doesn't have the quarterback or receivers to hang with anybody that can score, though. They didn't show much on offense tonight. They just got a ton opportunities due to the Rams being so inept. Gabbert also had about 3 passes that probably should've been intercepted.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 11:41:39 PM by pogoowner »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1113 on: September 13, 2016, 05:16:20 AM »
Shaping up to be another "Year of the QB". Congrats to all whose teams' won.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1114 on: September 13, 2016, 05:43:29 AM »
Man, how is Jeff Fisher on year 5 when most NFL coaches get 1 or 2 bad years before getting fired?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1115 on: September 13, 2016, 06:34:16 AM »
Man, how is Jeff Fisher on year 5 when most NFL coaches get 1 or 2 bad years before getting fired?

He must have pictures of someone having sex with a goat. There is no other way to explain it. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1116 on: September 13, 2016, 06:44:26 AM »
Good game last night from the Steelers, strong first game in spite of injuries and suspensions.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1117 on: September 13, 2016, 06:55:54 AM »
Good game last night from the Steelers, strong first game in spite of injuries and suspensions.
Yeah, no kidding.

Good to see DeAngelo Williams play so strong.  I miss him, it was great having the one-two punch of him and Jonathan Stewart.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1118 on: September 13, 2016, 07:01:04 AM »

He must have pictures of someone having sex with a goat. There is no other way to explain it.

How you didn't post that picture of Brady with a goat is mindblowing. :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1119 on: September 13, 2016, 07:02:22 AM »
Good to see DeAngelo Williams play so strong.  I miss him, it was great having the one-two punch of him and Jonathan Stewart.

DeAngelo has literally been a god-send in Pittsburgh while Bell has been hurt and/or suspended over the last couple years. Great back, can't say enough good about him. Hopefully they both stay health and in a couple weeks when Bell comes back the Steelers will have arguably the best one two running back punch in the league with Bell and Williams.