7 (8.1%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
0 (0%)
Washington Redskins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots' Day: V - Screw Goodell  (Read 219049 times)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - RIP Dennis Green
« Reply #840 on: August 11, 2016, 01:00:18 AM »
I beg your indulgence, I know I'm the only Rams fan here.. but.....  I finally got my Season Tickets today, and it helped hammer down the reality of this historical moment for us Rams Fans.  Less than 3 days from our first game at the Coliseum.  The Return of my beloved Rams....

I never thought I'd actually see this day come.  I may have always fantasized about my team returning, but my rational minds told me it probably wasn't in the cards.

Back in the early 80's by the time I was an adult, able to pay for game tickets, the Rams had moved down to Anaheim.  I never had, nor could afford season tickets back then, but made it to at least a few games a year.  My Dad, now 80, had season tickets back in the early 1950's.  He went to the '51 Championship game against the Browns.  Coincidentally, through a unique set of circumstances, I was able to go to the Super Bowl game in Atlanta in Jan 2000.  It's quite the coincidence... the two of us seeing the 2 Championships.  Both of them being won on 73 yd TD passes....49 years apart.

Now... beyond all hope, and dreams,   My Rams return, to their original home, the Coliseum.  Even though it's only a weigh station for the next 3 years, it's still so fitting.  I don't give a rats ass if the concrete is crumbling from the decrepit bones of the Coliseum.  Or that my seats are up in the stratosphere.  All I care about is my football life...is now complete.  Whatever comes with the future, new stadium, wins/championships/losses, doesn't matter.  What does matter, is my team is home. 

By the Way!!  Check out Hard Knocks!!!!!  Last night's first episode was awesome!

My SB story....  My sister in law at the time worked in a bank in Nashville.  Her bank did a lot of the Titans banking.  When the Rams lost to the Titans in week 7 of 1999, she called me and told me that if we both made it to the SB, she would hook me up.  True to her word, as soon as we got by the Bucs she called me and told me to book my flight!

About 2 mins after the "Tackle"

My Sister in law... (even though I'm now divorced from her sister...this woman is still at the top of my list as far as "Most Spectacular Women in the World"

Some pics from the game....  (mind the actual printed 4x6 photos amongst the newspaper clippings)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #841 on: August 11, 2016, 05:18:09 AM »
*INCREDIBLE POST*

I'm so happy that you got your team back. Enjoy the game on Saturday night, and the seasons to come.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #842 on: August 11, 2016, 05:26:17 AM »
In honor of the Rams going back to L.A...... here's one of the biggest up and coming talents in the league.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #843 on: August 11, 2016, 06:46:12 AM »
Looks like an ESPN poll of 42 coaches, scouts, and coordinators have Big Ben as the #3 QB behind Brady and Rodgers. Too bad they don't know football like all the experts at DTF. :P

Those coaches, scouts and coordinators are wrong a lot, as shown by how often they miss when it comes to the draft every year.  This is just another example of them being wrong.

:lol of course....

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #844 on: August 11, 2016, 07:17:13 AM »
I find it interesting that two different people yesterday have both asked me "wait, the rams are in LA?!"

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #845 on: August 11, 2016, 07:21:57 AM »
Looks like an ESPN poll of 42 coaches, scouts, and coordinators have Big Ben as the #3 QB behind Brady and Rodgers. Too bad they don't know football like all the experts at DTF. :P

Those coaches, scouts and coordinators are wrong a lot, as shown by how often they miss when it comes to the draft every year.  This is just another example of them being wrong.

:lol of course....

The top two right this second are clearly Rodgers and Brady. I don't think there is a dispute.

The #3 could be a number of dudes, and Big Ben is certainly in the conversation.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 07:33:17 AM by Destiny Of Chaos »

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #846 on: August 11, 2016, 07:51:27 AM »
Yeah, I just find it funny because I had this debate in this thread and said Ben was number 3. I was told by several people that was ridiculous, that's all.  :lol

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #847 on: August 11, 2016, 09:19:59 AM »
Yeah, I just find it funny because I had this debate in this thread and said Ben was number 3. I was told by several people that was ridiculous, that's all.  :lol
I think there are at least 3 guys who could fit into that slot, and Ben is one of them.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #848 on: August 11, 2016, 09:20:27 AM »
Argue about Ben all you want, what's glaring to me (and correct, if you ask me) is who's NOT there.  These are coordinators, therefore people tasked with STOPPING them, and so presumably they've either explicitly or implicitly listed them in order of who is toughest to stop, and Cam Newton isn't there.  Boom. 

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #849 on: August 11, 2016, 09:22:58 AM »
Thanks Doc!!

In honor of the Rams going back to L.A...... here's one of the biggest up and coming talents in the league.

You are correct Doc!   He's an absolute BEAST!  If Quinn is fully recovered from his back troubles of last year...look out!  Can't double up on everyone!  :tup

I went to Training camp last week, got a couple good shots of Aaron...

Here Tavon Austin did a slant across the middle right into Aarons arms.  Donald picked him up like a feather and did a fake "Im gonna body slam your ass" move.  Everyone laughed their ass off.

Couple other camp pics

Tavon...

Goff

Gurley

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #850 on: August 11, 2016, 09:31:24 AM »
Awesome pics. Tavon Austin is a Baltimore guy, so I want to see him do well. Fortunately for him, he didn't wind up in Donald's grasp during an actual game.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #851 on: August 11, 2016, 09:33:19 AM »
Some sweet pics

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #852 on: August 11, 2016, 01:25:32 PM »
Steelers offense continues to weaken:

https://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000683334/article/headaches-not-ankle-injury-sidelining-ladarius-green

Man, on paper, this offense should have been so good going into the season... Now Bryant is out the whole year, Bell the first 4, and Green, their big pick-up might retire?! Yikes

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #853 on: August 11, 2016, 02:20:29 PM »
First preseason game of the season for my team is tonight, fantasy draft on Monday.... so happy football season is back :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #854 on: August 11, 2016, 03:51:26 PM »
FOOTBALL   :metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #855 on: August 11, 2016, 07:15:56 PM »
Argue about Ben all you want, what's glaring to me (and correct, if you ask me) is who's NOT there.  These are coordinators, therefore people tasked with STOPPING them, and so presumably they've either explicitly or implicitly listed them in order of who is toughest to stop, and Cam Newton isn't there.  Boom.

I can understand not putting Newton in there yet, since he has only been elite for one year.

However, not having Wilson and Brees in the top tier is nonsense.  Brees has been part of the 4-man top tier for like 7-8 years prior to this and was still great last year; no reason to drop him down a tier yet.  I think Wilson gets knocked down a bit by some who think their defense carries him, but that is pure silliness. The guy passes the eye test and puts up great passing numbers (per attempt) every year despite never having anything close to a top WR.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #856 on: August 12, 2016, 07:49:28 AM »
Coach Fisher on Hard Knocks:

""Little things are important, you follow me?" Fisher said. "I am not f---ing going 7-9 or 8-8 or 9-7, OK? Or 10-6 for that matter. This team is too talented. I am not going to settle for that, OK? I know what I am doing. We had some 7-9 bulls--- this morning. Now, Deon's gone. That is 7-9 bulls---. We don't need it."

You're right coach...you're not going 7-9.

You're going 6-10  :biggrin:

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #857 on: August 12, 2016, 10:24:34 AM »
May as well finish up the NFC West....

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #858 on: August 12, 2016, 12:35:53 PM »
Panthers starters looked pretty good last night.  All I can ask for.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #859 on: August 13, 2016, 06:16:18 AM »
Coach Fisher on Hard Knocks:

""Little things are important, you follow me?" Fisher said. "I am not f---ing going 7-9 or 8-8 or 9-7, OK? Or 10-6 for that matter. This team is too talented. I am not going to settle for that, OK? I know what I am doing. We had some 7-9 bulls--- this morning. Now, Deon's gone. That is 7-9 bulls---. We don't need it."

You're right coach...you're not going 7-9.

You're going 6-10  :biggrin:

In 21 seasons as an NFL head coach, Fisher has had an above .500 record a mere six times.

Meanwhile, he has 10 seasons with either 7 or 8 wins.  If that doesn't define average, I don't know what does. :lol :lol
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 07:02:13 AM by KevShmev »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #860 on: August 13, 2016, 06:37:55 AM »
He irks me as well.   Always bitching about rule changes in those rules committees.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #861 on: August 13, 2016, 09:29:49 AM »
Cut him slack. A rule change could mean he goes 8-8 instead of 7-9.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #862 on: August 13, 2016, 09:30:56 AM »
Screw his mediocrity! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #863 on: August 13, 2016, 12:14:07 PM »
So Tyrod Taylor got a 6 year, 92 million dollar extension. I loved him during his four seasons in Baltimore. So glad that he got his chance. And I wish him the best of luck, except in week 1, of course!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #864 on: August 14, 2016, 01:37:37 PM »
A year ago today, DOC asked this:

Who are the top 10 QBs in the league right this second, and which of them are "Elite"?

So hey, let's do the same thing this year.  I will bold the elite ones.

1. Rodgers
2. Brady
3. Wilson
4. Brees

5. Newton
6. Roethlisberger
7. Rivers
8. Palmer
9. E. Manning
10. Dalton

I think Dalton finally earned his way into the top 10 last year; a shame he got hurt so late in the season.

Palmer is somewhat of a product of the system, but it's hard to deny how well he plays in it, most of the time (he was not good in either playoff game).

Rivers seems doomed to forever be the really good QB stuck on a team in disarray around him.

Newton needs to have another elite season before I can call him elite; I think he will.

Romo and Luck both missed way too much time last year to stay in the top 10. Luck will get back there this year I think, but Romo I'm not sure.  I could see Dak Prescott taking over the next time Romo gets hurt and never looking back.

Regarding Tyrod Taylor, mentioned in DOC's post above this one, I think he's the real deal, so it was cool to see the Bills take care of him.

Bortles is a guy I could see in the top 10 very soon.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #865 on: August 15, 2016, 04:44:00 AM »
For me:

1. Rodgers
2. Brady
3. Brees

4. Roethlisberger
5. Luck
6. Rivers
7. Newton
8. Wilson
9. Palmer
10. Dalton

Taylor,Bortles, Cousins and Winston are a ways from cracking this list but could with their current trajectory.. and of course, Romo, Flacco and Manning are capable of jumping right back into it.

Edit: @Kev.... Dak did look very impressive in his debut the other night. He might just be the future of the Cowboys...we shall see.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 04:49:06 AM by Destiny Of Chaos »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #866 on: August 15, 2016, 06:18:36 AM »
Luck still at 5 after last year (not playing well before getting hurt)?  Interesting.

Wilson all the way down at 8 just looks goofy to me. :P

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #867 on: August 15, 2016, 07:29:26 AM »
Why is Rivers even on that list?  I think Newton is one of the most overrated players in the history of the NFL, and even HE'S better than Phillip Rivers.   How many times have they been close, oh so close, and Rivers does something stupid, then the camera is on him on the sideline and he's pouting and yelling at one of his teammates for who knows what?   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #868 on: August 15, 2016, 07:37:24 AM »
Why is Rivers even on that list?  I think Newton is one of the most overrated players in the history of the NFL, and even HE'S better than Phillip Rivers.   How many times have they been close, oh so close, and Rivers does something stupid, then the camera is on him on the sideline and he's pouting and yelling at one of his teammates for who knows what?

Remove Rivers and insert Manning.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #869 on: August 15, 2016, 08:02:43 AM »
Luck still at 5 after last year (not playing well before getting hurt)?  Interesting.

Wilson all the way down at 8 just looks goofy to me. :P

Lucks 2015 campaign being what it was is the only thing keeping me from bolding his name.  He's incredible. Let's see any QB do better with what he had around him.

Wilson is getting much better but needs to show more consistency to leapfrog the guys ahead of him imo.

I can't think of one time where Rivers blew a game, other than in cases where he has to overextend himself to make up for the terrible team around him.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 08:08:42 AM by Destiny Of Chaos »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #870 on: August 15, 2016, 05:38:41 PM »
Luck has everything you want in a QB, which is why so many drool over him, but he has still yet to put it all together in the NFL.  I know he was banged up last year even when he was playing, but he threw some INTs that were Dilfer-like, even when he had time to throw, that made you think, "What in the hell was he doing?"

And yeah, Rivers is great.  If anything, he is underrated.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #871 on: August 15, 2016, 07:31:18 PM »

I can't think of one time where Rivers blew a game, other than in cases where he has to overextend himself to make up for the terrible team around him.

This game came immediately to mind (and you may qualify it as one where he had to overextend himself, but I'd argue they were still up 24-0 at the half):

https://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000080962/article/denver-broncos-pull-off-shocking-comeback-vs-san-diego-chargers

Manning threw three touchdown passes in the second half and Tony Carter and Chris Harris scored off turnovers by Philip Rivers as the Broncos overcame a 24-0 halftime deficit to shock the San Diego Chargers 35-24 on Monday night.

Rivers was intercepted four times -- three in the fourth quarter -- and lost two fumbles. The four pickoffs and six turnovers were both career-highs.

But this is just the only example I can think of.  Even though I think Rivers is, as one person so eloquently put it on another forum, a "beady-eyed shitbag," his talent is undeniable.  I can't let my extreme dislike of his tendency to blame anyone but himself bias my views against his pretty decent numbers overall, and I also have to admit that Rivers arguably belongs in a top 10 current QBs list

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #872 on: August 15, 2016, 08:18:12 PM »
Rivers is a good example of how some put too much stock into wins and losses.  By just about any individual measure, he has actually been the 5th best QB of the last 10 years (behind Manning, Brady, Rodgers and Brees), but because he hasn't had a lot of team success in the playoffs, he gets dismissed by many.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #873 on: August 16, 2016, 07:12:59 AM »
Rivers is a good example of how some put too much stock into wins and losses.  By just about any individual measure, he has actually been the 5th best QB of the last 10 years (behind Manning, Brady, Rodgers and Brees), but because he hasn't had a lot of team success in the playoffs, he gets dismissed by many.

Eh, I think we've had this conversation before, while winning certainly isn't the main measure of how great a player is, for me, it's a big one. I get that a great quarterback could have awesome stats and be really good but be on a crap team and never win anything, but to me whether a player is a winner (especially of championships) or not makes a different when evaluating that player.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #874 on: August 16, 2016, 10:05:36 AM »
I tend to agree.  Rivers tends to get shortchanged because San Diego has never assembled a great team around him the way that other teams have around their QBs.