7 (8.1%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
0 (0%)
Washington Redskins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots' Day: V - Screw Goodell  (Read 219081 times)

Offline Rattlehead

Re: 2016 NFL THREAD
« Reply #770 on: July 23, 2016, 10:36:50 PM »
The '09 Patriots with the 6th best scoring defense, pro bowlers on their lines and Moss and Welker both still killing it, were a "bad" team?  Not even close.

Don't get me wrong, Brady, like I always say, is one of the best QBs ever, but it's pure nonsense to say that he has or could carry bad teams on his back.  The Patriots are never set up that way, thanks to their team concept that always starts at the top.

Oh, and I remember that Broncos win over them. That was kind of a lucky win, but then again, the Broncos have mostly owned the Patriots in head to head match-ups in the Brady/Belichick era. :coolio :hat

I didn't say they were a bad team… I guess the only thing I really remember about that Patriots team is them losing to Orton and the Broncos, and the Ravens annihilating them at Foxborough in the playoffs. It just sticks out in my head because Brady is so damn good in the playoffs, I can't seem to think of ever having seen him lose that badly in the playoffs aside from that game.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - RIP Dennis Green
« Reply #771 on: July 24, 2016, 06:45:37 AM »
I was at the Raven's game. It was the first time I was late getting in. I left 40 minutes before the start of the game.  The lines at the gates were incredible.

By the time we got to the seat, it was,14-0 Ravens. It was a terrible game.

An NFL show showed Belichick talking to Brady durring the season saying "I can't get this team to play tye,way they should".

Even though they were 10-6 they were not going anywhere and it was apparent.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #772 on: July 24, 2016, 09:11:29 AM »
It was a strange game… you rarely ever see a Belichick coached team look that flat. The next year they lost at home to the Jets in the playoffs, but since then they've had 5 straight AFC Championship game appearances, 2 Super Bowl appearances and 1 Super Bowl win, so it's safe to say Belichick got his shit together after that  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #773 on: July 24, 2016, 09:19:58 AM »
It was Belichick the GM that got his shit together.

For sure!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #774 on: July 24, 2016, 09:29:57 AM »
I was at the Raven's game. It was the first time I was late getting in. I left 40 minutes before the start of the game.  The lines at the gates were incredible.

By the time we got to the seat, it was,14-0 Ravens. It was a terrible game.

An NFL show showed Belichick talking to Brady durring the season saying "I can't get this team to play tye,way they should".

Even though they were 10-6 they were not going anywhere and it was apparent.

I enjoyed it. :)

It just sticks out in my head because Brady is so damn good in the playoffs, I can't seem to think of ever having seen him lose that badly in the playoffs aside from that game.

Despite the public misperception that he elevates his play in the playoffs, it isn't as good as his play in the regular season, by a pretty good margin.  Just an FYI.  If you don't believe me, look it up. :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #775 on: July 24, 2016, 09:31:15 AM »
You revel in my pain Kev. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #776 on: July 24, 2016, 09:41:37 AM »
I try. :P

Then again, your team has won four Super Bowls in the last 15 years, so let's not act like your pain is so awful. ;)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #777 on: July 24, 2016, 09:50:06 AM »
Well, I never thought I'd see this.  I was always on the outside.  It has been an incredible run and to be at some iconic games is something I'll always cherish as a sports fan.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #778 on: July 24, 2016, 09:54:47 AM »
And really, you can't ask for more than that. :coolio :hat

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #779 on: July 24, 2016, 09:56:26 AM »
Despite the public misperception that he elevates his play in the playoffs, it isn't as good as his play in the regular season, by a pretty good margin.  Just an FYI.  If you don't believe me, look it up. :biggrin:

What about the win to loss ratio? Maybe it's not as good as his regular season ratio, but it's not really fair to compare the two as the level of competition changes in the post season. I never said Brady is better statistically in the playoffs than the regular season, I just said he is damn good, which I think is hard to argue.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #780 on: July 24, 2016, 10:02:31 AM »

What about the win to loss ratio?

Win to loss is far greater in the regular season, too.

Besides, win to loss ratio is a team sport.  The Patriots have won plenty of playoff games this century where Brady didn't play particularly well (all three games in 2001, 2006 divisional round win over SD, 2007 AFCCG, 2011 AFCCG, etc.). 

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #781 on: July 24, 2016, 10:09:33 AM »
I did go back and edit that before you had replied, because I realize it came off as if I thought the ratio was better in the post season, even though it is not. I make the same argument for the Manning bashers, that competition is so different in the post season, it's not really fair to act as if a QB is not as good in the playoffs because his numbers aren't as good as the regular season.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #782 on: July 24, 2016, 10:24:23 AM »
Well, it goes without saying that you are facing better teams in the postseason, so it is hard to put up monster games every playoff game, so yeah, that goes without saying.

I just laugh when some act like Brady is this postseason god, while Manning is a postseason chump, when their overall postseason numbers, from an individual standpoint, are extremely similar.  Brady's passer rating is a whopping .6 better than Manning's in the playoffs, despite usually playing on better teams and always having better coaching.

But yeah, let's not have another Manning vs Brady debate... :lol :lol

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #783 on: July 24, 2016, 10:35:04 AM »
Well, it goes without saying that you are facing better teams in the postseason, so it is hard to put up monster games every playoff game, so yeah, that goes without saying.

I just laugh when some act like Brady is this postseason god, while Manning is a postseason chump, when their overall postseason numbers, from an individual standpoint, are extremely similar.  Brady's passer rating is a whopping .6 better than Manning's in the playoffs, despite usually playing on better teams and always having better coaching.

I am totally with you on that… they are both great QBs who have won multiple Super Bowls, so let's just leave it at that.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #784 on: July 24, 2016, 12:31:06 PM »

Then don't bring up that retired guy then. :biggrin:

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #785 on: July 24, 2016, 12:53:49 PM »
That Ravens game was one of the very few times I've ever put a loss largely on Belichick. While there's no question the team was flat, he made a couple of decisions that really hobbled them. The fake punt to end the first half was a terrible call. There was no reason to even try. Even if they'd made it they weren't going to do anything with that amount of time left and the way they were playing. Any emotional boost they gained would have helped for 2 minutes until halftime. There was just no benefit to meaure up against the risk. The consequence of it was another 7 points for Baltimore, though. They would have run the clock out after a punt and gone into halftime with a 17-7 lead. After that of course they're going to score on you and now you're down 17 and completely deflated. There was another decision in there somewhere that I also thought was boneheaded, but I don't recall what it was.  It was also the case that at time NE played very aggressive football and it worked for them. It was just never at the right time and they never stuck with it. They just didn't strike me as a team trying to play their own game and they weren't good enough to play somebody else's.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #786 on: July 24, 2016, 12:58:04 PM »
Over the years Belichick takes chances because he sees the team is flat. It's questionable but I think he sees it's a chance tolight a fire up their asses.

When it doesn't work they look real bad.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 01:41:50 PM by kingshmegland »

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #787 on: July 24, 2016, 01:16:48 PM »
I just read a stat that Joe Flacco had a passer rating of 2.8 at halftime when the Ravens were leading by a score of 24-7 in that game :o

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #788 on: July 24, 2016, 01:40:34 PM »
Barto, I think that is the Jets game you are thinking of.  The failed punt in that game near the end of the half led to the Jets go-ahead score and they never trailed again, IIRC.  The Ravens game was 24-0 in the first quarter.  And yeah, Flacco was terrible in that game, but it didn't matter since Rice ripped off that TD on the first play of the game and then the Ravens D kept getting turnovers.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #789 on: July 24, 2016, 01:42:22 PM »
I just read a stat that Joe Flacco had a passer rating of 2.8 at halftime when the Ravens were leading by a score of 24-7 in that game :o

Yup. They were running all over the Pats and turnovers.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #790 on: July 24, 2016, 01:52:31 PM »
Barto, I think that is the Jets game you are thinking of.  The failed punt in that game near the end of the half led to the Jets go-ahead score and they never trailed again, IIRC.  The Ravens game was 24-0 in the first quarter.  And yeah, Flacco was terrible in that game, but it didn't matter since Rice ripped off that TD on the first play of the game and then the Ravens D kept getting turnovers.
Yup. You're right. It also seems that the fake was called on the field and not the sidelines, so it's not on Bill anyway. I just remember being pretty disgusted by the whole thing.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #791 on: July 24, 2016, 06:04:07 PM »
That was one of the strangest playoffs games ever.  The Patriots were miles better than the Jets that year, yet the Jets played the game of their lives, while the Patriots looked unprepared and disinterested.  It was weird to watch.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #792 on: July 24, 2016, 06:05:42 PM »
It was weird and upsetting to be at.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #793 on: July 25, 2016, 04:15:24 PM »
Remember when Roger Goodell said deflating footballs is the same as take PED's? Yeah, I do. 

Funny how Ted Wells was not involved.

Also funny how the investigations are still going on with the players that are in the league still but retired players are cleared quicker.

Peyton's wife to taking HGH while I'll early getting them.  Yup.  Seems like an agenda to me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #794 on: July 25, 2016, 04:44:42 PM »
I think it's time for a) acceptance, and b) moving on.  Deflategate is over.  :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: July 25, 2016, 04:48:45 PM »
 :lol

NEVER!!!

I think it shows a clear pattern to the NFL offices.  I will bang this gone every chance I get. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #797 on: July 25, 2016, 04:54:48 PM »
I would have gone with Power Station's version. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #798 on: July 25, 2016, 05:16:15 PM »
I went old school. :big grin:

So...I think the stat was that every year, 4-5 teams that made the playoffs the previous year, miss them the next year. So, who will be those 4-5 teams this year?

The most likely, IMO:

1. Washington - I doubt they will win the NFC East again, since Dallas is better when healthy and NYG and Philly should both be improved.  I'll be shocked if they make it again.
2. Houston - JJ Watt's back injury is a concern, and if that lingers too far into the season, that defense won't be nearly as good.
3. Cincinnati - strange pick to some probably, but they lost their number 2 and 3 WRs, they had a couple of crazy comeback wins last year that could easily be losses this year, and the Ravens will be a force again in that division.
4. Minnesota - maybe it's their lack of playoff history, but I have a hard time seeing this team being really good again.
5. Denver - it pains me to type that, but the mess at QB is a major concern, and their defense is almost guaranteed to not be as awesome.  Division is getting tougher, too.  I hope I am wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #799 on: July 25, 2016, 05:18:26 PM »
And the teams, IMO, most likely to make the playoffs this year that didn't last year:

1. Dallas
2. Indy
3. Baltimore

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #800 on: July 25, 2016, 05:20:11 PM »
While I like you pics I still think the Denver D is that good so a wild card is not out of the question.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #801 on: July 25, 2016, 06:37:30 PM »
And it's not like Denver's QB play was very good last year, either. It ranged anywhere from decent to awful, week to week.

My hunch is that Carolina is a pretty average team this year.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #802 on: July 25, 2016, 06:49:10 PM »
Okay, but Manning, despite his drop-off, made some big plays at the end of the wins against KC, Detroit, Cleveland and San Diego.  And Osweiler did the same in the win against NE. It remains to be seen if their QBs this year can play as well at the end of games.

Carolina will fall back to the pack - almost hard not to after going 15-1 - but they should still win 10-12 games.  Cam might have a bit of a hangover from his Super Bowl performance, but he should still be a major force.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #803 on: July 25, 2016, 07:19:05 PM »
Okay, but Manning, despite his drop-off, made some big plays at the end of the wins against KC, Detroit, Cleveland and San Diego.  And Osweiler did the same in the win against NE. It remains to be seen if their QBs this year can play as well at the end of games.
Indeed. But it's also possible they play just well enough for the first 50 minutes that they don't need the last second heroics. I think a few of those games Peyton was digging them out of a hole of his own creation.

And Carolina just struck me as a team playing above themselves. You don't generally see teams repeat that.
E.F. Benson

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #804 on: July 26, 2016, 10:46:47 AM »
Great article by Peter King about the new movie about Steve Gleason and his battle with ALS. I teared up just reading the article, I'm sure I'd be a bawling mess by the end of the film.
https://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/07/22/nfl-steve-gleason-movie-review