7 (8.1%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
0 (0%)
Washington Redskins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots' Day: V - Screw Goodell  (Read 218750 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD
« Reply #735 on: July 16, 2016, 06:32:01 AM »
True, but it's still difficult to make the playoffs with a shitty QB (Geno Smith).  The Jets upside is severely limited if he's their starter for most or all of the season.

Now, I know one could point to the 2015 Broncos and say, "They won the Super Bowl with mediocre QB play overall," but they had an all-time great defense that had to be every bit as great as they were for the Broncos to pull off what they did.  That is why I am not too optimistic about this season.  The defense should still be great, but not as crazy good (consider that the Broncos won four games by one possession in which the defense scored a touchdown; you cannot expect a defense to score touchdowns on a regular basis from year to year), and the QB situation appears to be a mess right now.  Three Super Bowl wins in the last 19 seasons is great, but it's kind of weird knowing that we as fans went into two of the three following seasons knowing they had little chance to repeat (same situation in '99 when Elway had retired). 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #736 on: July 16, 2016, 07:06:43 AM »
That's the hardest part. Getting "that" QB.  It's like pan handling for gold.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #737 on: July 16, 2016, 07:11:27 AM »
Let's be serious now; Geno Smith is shitty.  They couldn't even make the playoffs last year with Fitzpatrick having his best year ever, and you think they can make it this year with a major drop-off at QB? I say no way. I suspect a deal will be struck with Fitzpatrick just in time.

To be honest, I don't know that the drop off will be major if Geno ends up starting. He didn't look good his first two years, but he also had an absolutely horrific surrounding cast. This'll be his second year in Gailey's system, and if he gets a full offseason of reps (no more locker room fights pls) with the first string I'm kind of curious as to what he'll look like. Not saying there won't be a drop off, I just think there's a chance it won't be as severe as everyone's assuming it will be.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #738 on: July 16, 2016, 08:33:16 AM »
Let's be serious now; Geno Smith is shitty.  They couldn't even make the playoffs last year with Fitzpatrick having his best year ever, and you think they can make it this year with a major drop-off at QB? I say no way. I suspect a deal will be struck with Fitzpatrick just in time.

To be honest, I don't know that the drop off will be major if Geno ends up starting. He didn't look good his first two years, but he also had an absolutely horrific surrounding cast. This'll be his second year in Gailey's system, and if he gets a full offseason of reps (no more locker room fights pls) with the first string I'm kind of curious as to what he'll look like. Not saying there won't be a drop off, I just think there's a chance it won't be as severe as everyone's assuming it will be.

This. I'm not saying Geno is great, but he has shown some upside in a few games (his gusty performance against the Falcons in 2013 and his perfect game against the Dolphins in 2014 come to mind). The problem was the terrible team around him that was a result of John Idzik being cheap and leaving the cupboard bare. It put too much on his shoulders and he simply wasn't ready to be that QB. Now the roster is much better and all Geno has to do is be a game manager. With a head coach that puts a lot more focus on discipline than the last and an offensive coordinator that has the ability to maximize his players' strengths while masking their weaknesses, Geno may be able to capitalize on the raw talent that he undeniablely has and simply not throw games away. His receivers can easily grab a lead and his defense can easily keep it. He just can't blow it and with less pressure on his shoulders I think he could do just that.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: July 16, 2016, 08:36:19 AM »
I've got to say from the outside, I do not look at Geno as a go to QB.  He regressed durring a time when he should have progressed.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #740 on: July 16, 2016, 12:41:54 PM »
The Rams in-season practice facility is around 5 miles away from me and their practices won't be public.  Dammit.

That's weird.  All teams have open practice for at least 2 weeks.

They're practicing south of L.A. right now while their local complex is being built.

Yep!  UCI, for at least the next 3 training camps.

https://www.therams.com/ramscamp.html

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #741 on: July 16, 2016, 07:02:48 PM »
True, but it's still difficult to make the playoffs with a shitty QB (Geno Smith).  The Jets upside is severely limited if he's their starter for most or all of the season.

Now, I know one could point to the 2015 Broncos and say, "They won the Super Bowl with mediocre QB play overall," but they had an all-time great defense that had to be every bit as great as they were for the Broncos to pull off what they did.  That is why I am not too optimistic about this season.  The defense should still be great, but not as crazy good (consider that the Broncos won four games by one possession in which the defense scored a touchdown; you cannot expect a defense to score touchdowns on a regular basis from year to year), and the QB situation appears to be a mess right now.  Three Super Bowl wins in the last 19 seasons is great, but it's kind of weird knowing that we as fans went into two of the three following seasons knowing they had little chance to repeat (same situation in '99 when Elway had retired).

I wouldn't call the QB situation a mess. I think people like to exaggerate how "bad" Sanchez is because of one stupid play, and maybe because he struggled with the train wreck that was Chip Kelly's offense last season. Sanchez has shown us that he can play well with a good supporting cast. I think he could succeed in Kubiak's offense with a great receiving corps, solid running backs and an improved o-line. I think he'll end up starting all 16 games this season barring injury, as it sounds like Paxton Lynch is at least 1 full year away from being ready. I'm predicting Denver to win the division again, or at the very least, make it back to the post season. I do realize Oakland and Kansas City are legitimate threats, but I still think Denver is the best team in the AFC West. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not thrilled about Sanchez being the starting QB for the Broncos, but I am pretty optimistic that he will bounce back and play well enough. This will be the best team he's ever played on, so hopefully he doesn't blow it. I definitely don't have them repeating, but that's a pretty tall task. Just ask Russell Wilson and Tom Brady  ;)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #742 on: July 17, 2016, 07:06:14 AM »

I wouldn't call the QB situation a mess. I think people like to exaggerate how "bad" Sanchez is because of one stupid play, and maybe because he struggled with the train wreck that was Chip Kelly's offense last season. Sanchez has shown us that he can play well with a good supporting cast. I think he could succeed in Kubiak's offense with a great receiving corps, solid running backs and an improved o-line. I think he'll end up starting all 16 games this season barring injury, as it sounds like Paxton Lynch is at least 1 full year away from being ready. I'm predicting Denver to win the division again, or at the very least, make it back to the post season. I do realize Oakland and Kansas City are legitimate threats, but I still think Denver is the best team in the AFC West. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not thrilled about Sanchez being the starting QB for the Broncos, but I am pretty optimistic that he will bounce back and play well enough. This will be the best team he's ever played on, so hopefully he doesn't blow it. I definitely don't have them repeating, but that's a pretty tall task. Just ask Russell Wilson and Tom Brady  ;)

Sanchez played some good football for a Jets team that was built very closely to the way the Broncos are built now. People who aren't Jets fans forget that had Pittsburgh not converted that third down in the final minutes of the 2010 AFC Championship Game, the Jets may have very well marched down the field and won the conference. Sanchez played a big role in them getting closer to the Super Bowl than they had since they won it all in 1968. He's a decent QB who can be successful with the right team around him. The Broncos are the first time that this is the case since Mike Tannenbaum ruined the Jets roster in 2011 and 2012. Elway has proven to be a good GM who makes great personnel decisions and I think that signing Mark Sanchez will fall into that category as well.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #743 on: July 17, 2016, 08:11:07 AM »
Trevor Siemian, whom the Broncos took in the 7th round last year, is supposedly having a good offseason and might actually have a good shot at being the starter this year. Time will tell.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: July 17, 2016, 10:59:10 AM »
Trevor Siemian, whom the Broncos took in the 7th round last year, is supposedly having a good offseason and might actually have a good shot at being the starter this year. Time will tell.

It's always awesome to see a late rounder, or better yet an UDFA turn into a solid starter!

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #745 on: July 21, 2016, 01:28:08 PM »
That's the hardest part. Getting "that" QB.  It's like pan handling for gold.
More like green and gold.  :biggrin:
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #746 on: July 21, 2016, 03:12:50 PM »
Sanchez isn't my first choice, but he is a good choice - again, with the right team around him - and certainly better than Geno Smith.   I see Sanchez being a Joe Flacco-type.  Never be the guy to carry an entire, bad team (like Brady) but certainly can be a very good player on a very good team.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #747 on: July 21, 2016, 04:36:30 PM »
Please name one bad team Brady has ever carried.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: July 21, 2016, 04:38:36 PM »

So Kev, you have your answer .  Lol

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #749 on: July 21, 2016, 06:26:34 PM »

Maybe the '09 Patriots team? The one that got curb stomped by Baltimore at home in the first round of the playoffs  :rollin I still wouldn't call that team bad, but that's the closest thing I can think of that could be considered a "bad team" that Brady carried. They did lose to a Kyle Orton/Josh McDouchebag lead Bronco team after all  :P

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #750 on: July 21, 2016, 08:49:52 PM »
The '09 Patriots with the 6th best scoring defense, pro bowlers on their lines and Moss and Welker both still killing it, were a "bad" team?  Not even close.

Don't get me wrong, Brady, like I always say, is one of the best QBs ever, but it's pure nonsense to say that he has or could carry bad teams on his back.  The Patriots are never set up that way, thanks to their team concept that always starts at the top.

Oh, and I remember that Broncos win over them. That was kind of a lucky win, but then again, the Broncos have mostly owned the Patriots in head to head match-ups in the Brady/Belichick era. :coolio :hat

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #751 on: July 21, 2016, 08:55:03 PM »
They sure have you son of a bitch. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #752 on: July 21, 2016, 08:57:07 PM »
3-1 in the playoffs alone, with that lone playoff win for the Patriots being when we started...Tebow.  Score!!! :biggrin: :lol

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #753 on: July 22, 2016, 06:21:25 AM »
Denver will have the best defense and worst offense in the division. I don't see them winning the division this year. I the AFC west will be the toughest division this year and will have two playoff teams.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #754 on: July 22, 2016, 07:42:53 AM »

As a team, no, I'll give you that.  What I mean is, "on any given Sunday".  Tom Brady can beat you if the D isn't playing well, if the running game is stymied, or if the passing attack isn't quite clicking.  Look at early in the season two years ago. 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #755 on: July 22, 2016, 10:30:39 AM »
Rest in peace Dennis Green. The hits just keep on coming this year.

-MirrorMask

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #756 on: July 22, 2016, 10:32:18 AM »
Rest in peace Dennis Green. The hits just keep on coming this year.

Yeah that's too bad. He was who we thought he was. But death didn't let him off the hook.

And if this is true... not a good way to start your career.....

Dallas Cowboys rookie Ezekiel Elliott has been accused of domestic violence but has denied the allegation.

https://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/17124913/ezekiel-elliott-dallas-cowboys-denies-domestic-assault-accusation

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - RIP Dennis Green
« Reply #759 on: July 22, 2016, 05:22:52 PM »
A lot of stories about what really happened with Elliot, so I guess we'll have to see how this plays out.

Bell is just another idiot who would rather get high than make his money and play football.  Stupid.

R.I.P. Dennis Green. One of the more underrated head coaches of the last 25 years.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Cable

« Reply #761 on: July 22, 2016, 10:28:10 PM »
^ :lol :rollin :lol

R.I.P. Dennis Green. One of the more underrated head coaches of the last 25 years.

Agree Kev, Green was underrated.
---

Offline Cable

« Reply #762 on: July 22, 2016, 10:29:02 PM »
*double post edit*
---

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #763 on: July 23, 2016, 06:56:23 AM »
I looked his coaching W/L record up and was surprised to see it wasn't as great as I would have thought.  Three sub -500 years in Arizona didn't help.  A lot of fans here in St. Louis will alway remember Green as a crybaby for going to the rules committee to make team end zone celebrations illegal, after the Rams did their "bob and weave" repeatedly in their beatdown of the Vikings in the 1999 divisional round.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #764 on: July 23, 2016, 07:03:16 AM »
I always thought Polian and Jeff Fisher complained in those committees to help their teams every time someone beat them. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #765 on: July 23, 2016, 07:10:44 AM »
Maybe, but I believe Green was the main one pounding the drum to get rid of team celebrations in the end zone.

Offline Cable

« Reply #766 on: July 23, 2016, 08:33:27 AM »
I looked his coaching W/L record up and was surprised to see it wasn't as great as I would have thought.  Three sub -500 years in Arizona didn't help.  A lot of fans here in St. Louis will alway remember Green as a crybaby for going to the rules committee to make team end zone celebrations illegal, after the Rams did their "bob and weave" repeatedly in their beatdown of the Vikings in the 1999 divisional round.

Well, in AZ he was part of an organization, that at the time, was a black hole for coaches and players. So I would not necessarily fault the total failure on him. But on the other side, the rest of his coaching career was in the single to double A minor leagues so to speak. :-\
---

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #767 on: July 23, 2016, 09:02:28 AM »
I never replied to this...

As a team, no, I'll give you that.  What I mean is, "on any given Sunday".  Tom Brady can beat you if the D isn't playing well, if the running game is stymied, or if the passing attack isn't quite clicking.  Look at early in the season two years ago.

That's fine, but Flacco is capable of doing the same thing.  No, Flacco is no Tom Brady, but he has been a good, and at times great, QB for the Ravens for quite a while now.  Saying Sanchez is on the same level as Flacco, which started this whole conversation, is unfair.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #768 on: July 23, 2016, 11:21:18 AM »
I never replied to this...

That's fine, but Flacco is capable of doing the same thing.  No, Flacco is no Tom Brady, but he has been a good, and at times great, QB for the Ravens for quite a while now.  Saying Sanchez is on the same level as Flacco, which started this whole conversation, is unfair.
Agreed. Flacco seems to have peaked, rather than continuing to elevate himself to the top level of QBs after his Super Bowl win, but trying to put Sanchez on a similar level to Flacco is both odd and an extreme stretch, in my opinion.