7 (8.1%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
0 (0%)
Washington Redskins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots' Day: V - Screw Goodell  (Read 219086 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD
« Reply #595 on: July 06, 2016, 07:21:22 AM »
I like Ben.  He's just a notch below Brady and Rodgers and for all but last year, Peyton.  He's always been around 4 or 5 with Brees being the other.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #596 on: July 06, 2016, 07:27:53 AM »
Brees is definitely fading now that his career is closer to ending.

I personally think Cam Newton, Eli Manning (maybe a homer pick), and Russell Wilson are better than Ben.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #597 on: July 06, 2016, 07:30:54 AM »
I personally think Cam Newton, Eli Manning (maybe a homer pick), and Russell Wilson are better than Ben.
I agree with Newton and Wilson.

Ben is fantastic sometimes.  He's just a little too unpredictable for me to place as high as the top 3.

In fact, at the moment, I'm not sure of a top 3.  I think Brady and Rogers are the top 2.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #598 on: July 06, 2016, 07:37:17 AM »
I don't consider Cam or Wilson in that class of quarterback yet, they both might get there someday, but they aren't there yet.

Super homer pick  :lol Eli isn't close to some of these guys we are talking about.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #599 on: July 06, 2016, 07:50:16 AM »
Brees is definitely fading now that his career is closer to ending.

Yes, last year both moved the needle into the top 5. no doubt.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #600 on: July 06, 2016, 07:52:58 AM »
I don't consider Cam or Wilson in that class of quarterback yet, they both might get there someday, but they aren't there yet.

Super homer pick  :lol Eli isn't close to some of these guys we are talking about.

Stats and Rings say something different, but agree that he isn't top 3 either, but maybe the first ahead of Ben IMO. 

Wilson and Newton don't have the longevity of Ben to compare full careers but they are better QBs at the moment which is what I thought we were debating, hence why I don't list Brees up there anymore.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #601 on: July 06, 2016, 08:08:28 AM »

Stats and Rings say something different, but agree that he isn't top 3 either, but maybe the first ahead of Ben IMO. 

Stats and rings in regards to Ben vs. Eli?

They both have two rings (which separates them a great deal from guys with one) but Ben's career regular season rating is better than Eli's...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #602 on: July 06, 2016, 08:17:54 AM »
Yeah, Eli is top 10 but towards the bottom half for me.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #603 on: July 06, 2016, 08:28:17 AM »
Andrew Luck has top 1-3 potential. Let's see how his bounce back season goes.

But yeah, Roethlisburger has ALWAYS benefited from the weapons around him. But I'll give him his due... one of the toughest QBs I've ever seen play the game.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #604 on: July 06, 2016, 08:56:36 AM »
Yeah, Eli is top 10 but towards the bottom half for me.

Right around where Ben would be for me.

Stats and rings in regards to Ben vs. Eli?

They both have two rings (which separates them a great deal from guys with one) but Ben's career regular season rating is better than Eli's...

But one guy actually was a beast in those playoffs wins and one was not as much.  Granted, they are so close and for me I ahve Eli just ahead of Ben most likely if I wrote this all out, but my homerism could be pushing it.

But yeah, Roethlisburger has ALWAYS benefited from the weapons around him. But I'll give him his due... one of the toughest QBs I've ever seen play the game.

This is the best part about him IMO, he is hard to take down and he plays through injuries.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #605 on: July 06, 2016, 09:06:26 AM »

Aaron Rodgers only has one.... and he's considered to be much better than those two dudes with two (rightly so).

Sorry.... hate the ring argument. That kind of thinking puts Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson over Dan Marino. Hard to use team championships to measure individual talent.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: July 06, 2016, 09:38:05 AM »
It's not just rings though.  I can't see how that doesn't hold some value.  It's not everything, it's a team sport, but it's still important.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #607 on: July 06, 2016, 09:40:10 AM »
It's not just rings though.  I can't see how that doesn't hold some value.  It's not everything, it's a team sport, but it's still important.

Right on. Rings aren't the only criteria that go into assessing how good a player is, but it certainly is an important criteria.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #608 on: July 06, 2016, 10:00:41 AM »

Right on. Rings aren't the only criteria that go into assessing how good a player is, but it certainly is an important criteria.

To me, they aren't much more than a tie-breaker. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #609 on: July 06, 2016, 10:18:36 AM »

Aaron Rodgers only has one.... and he's considered to be much better than those two dudes with two (rightly so).

Sorry.... hate the ring argument. That kind of thinking puts Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson over Dan Marino. Hard to use team championships to measure individual talent.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #610 on: July 06, 2016, 10:34:24 AM »
Yeah like I said before, championships aren't the only criteria to measure a quarterback, but they certainly should be taken into account.

Quarterbacks are the most important players on football teams, so suggesting that a quarterbacks' success that lead to a teams success (winning a championship) isn't a measure of the player that should be taken into account is a little silly.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #611 on: July 06, 2016, 10:41:00 AM »
Yeah like I said before, championships aren't the only criteria to measure a quarterback, but they certainly should be taken into account.

Quarterbacks are the most important players on football teams, so suggesting that a quarterbacks' success that lead to a teams success (winning a championship) isn't a measure of the player that should be taken into account is a little silly.

Not silly at all. Compare Rotheslisburger's stake in the Super Bowl XL championship versus Joe Flacco's in SB XVII. Flacco was a big reason why the Ravens won that game. Big Ben was a casualty in Pittsburgh's efforts that day.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #612 on: July 06, 2016, 10:44:45 AM »
So whether or not a quarterback has won zero championships or five, it shouldn't matter in assessing how good that player is at all? That's what you are saying?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #613 on: July 06, 2016, 10:47:23 AM »

Not silly at all. Compare Rotheslisburger's stake in the Super Bowl XL championship versus Joe Flacco's in SB XVII. Flacco was a big reason why the Ravens won that game. Big Ben was a casualty in Pittsburgh's efforts that day.

Yet I heard a lot of the Brady haters say, Brady wouldn't have won without Vinatieri yet who drove them down to get those field goals?  QB's take a lot of beef because they are in the limelight.  Ben did well.  I look at him between 4 and 6 right now.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #614 on: July 06, 2016, 10:50:15 AM »
So whether or not a quarterback has won zero championships or five, it shouldn't matter in assessing how good that player is at all? That's what you are saying?

Correct. If a player is great, his greatness won't rely on how many rings he may have won along the way.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #615 on: July 06, 2016, 10:51:36 AM »

Correct. If a player is great, his greatness won't rely on how many rings he may have won along the way.

Alright we can just agree to disagree on that one.  :)

I think that one of the things that makes great players great is winning championships.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #616 on: July 06, 2016, 10:55:49 AM »
Joe Flacco's not a great player, but he had a great postseason. Led to a championship, and a ginormous payday.

I'm just saying that player A isn't better than player B solely on rings is silly. Putting Ben and Eli above Rodgers because 2>1 is silly in my opinion.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #617 on: July 06, 2016, 10:59:07 AM »
Joe Flacco's not a great player, but he had a great postseason. Led to a championship, and a ginormous payday.

I'm just saying that player A isn't better than player B solely on rings is silly. Putting Ben and Eli above Rodgers because 2>1 is silly in my opinion.

Right, and I never disagreed with that. I never suggested that rings should be "solely" used as THE criteria to assess players. I simply said that it should be taken into account as ONE of the criteria used to assess players.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #618 on: July 06, 2016, 11:03:16 AM »
Right.  If Marino had 4 rings like Brady, it would catapult him to that all time level.  He's still great but he's never in the conversation as Montana, Brady, Manning.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #619 on: July 06, 2016, 11:26:00 AM »
Interesting stat that I just came across: since 2004, New Orleans has averaged the most points per game in games lost. I don't think Drew Brees gets enough credit for what he's done with that team.

Now, if you have a consistently bad defense, that number's naturally going to be higher, but he's done a lot without much support.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #620 on: July 06, 2016, 11:37:04 AM »
Which is why he only got one SB ring.  After 2007, the Pats went way to one sided.  Their D was poor until 2014.  Yes a tram can win a SB being unbalanced but can they win more SB's if they are unbalanced?  I think not.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #621 on: July 06, 2016, 12:00:33 PM »
Who knows what various trams could or could not do?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #622 on: July 06, 2016, 01:50:47 PM »
Which is why he only got one SB ring.  After 2007, the Pats went way to one sided.  Their D was poor until 2014.  Yes a tram can win a SB being unbalanced but can they win more SB's if they are unbalanced?  I think not.

I agree. Here's some examples:

We see here a tram too focused on offense. They obviously have to score a ton of points or they lose because their defense is like a sieve and plays worse than most peoples' grandmas. Examples are the Saints as mentioned above or the Oregon Ducks.

And on the opposite side, we have those too focused on defense. The ones who won the turnover battle, but still lose because the offense can't run a simple screen or draw to save their life  They also often own a mediocre, or worse, QB. Examples could be the 00's Bears or last year's Utah Utes team. (God I'm glad Travis Wilson is gone...)

And finally a balanced tram. One that operates smoothly and does its job well. Problem is people flock to these teams and bandwagon the shit out of them. Much like the Seattle Seahawks or Carolina Panthers in recent years, or the Patriots for the past two decades.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #623 on: July 06, 2016, 02:00:12 PM »
Tram, team. It's all the same. :lol

You jerks. :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #624 on: July 06, 2016, 02:38:14 PM »
lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #625 on: July 06, 2016, 02:52:40 PM »
So, have you heard Russell Wilson got married? Because THAT IS ALL PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT IN SEATTLE. FFS!

Except apparently the chick he married, who is/was apparently famous in her own right, though I never heard of her till she and Wilson got together, is baby-mama to some d-bag who I also had never heard of, and who is apparently e-threatening Wilson. Or maybe just trying to sell albums/build street cred.

So yeah, when does the season start?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #626 on: July 06, 2016, 02:54:26 PM »
So I guess that means that Russell Wilson is no longer a virgin! Good for him

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #627 on: July 06, 2016, 03:38:33 PM »
Funny to see some say Brees has dropped off, when even last year he was better than most including Roethlisberger.

As for titles, sure, they matter, but when talking who is better currently, Ben's rings from 11 and 8 years ago do not. In the last couple years, Wilson and Newton have been better QBs and have had more team success.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #628 on: July 06, 2016, 04:23:25 PM »

Alright we can just agree to disagree on that one.  :)

I think that one of the things that makes great players great is winning championships.

I agree with this.  Anyone - well, virtually - can throw for 400 yards and three touchdowns against a defense that has nothing to play for.  Do that year in and year out in the playoffs against the very best of the best playing like their lives depended on it...

... and you have Joe Montana and Tom Brady and a few select others. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #629 on: July 06, 2016, 07:27:14 PM »
Except not even Brady and Montana played lights out year in and year out in the playoffs.  Montana had an awful 3-year stretch in the mid 80s, and Brady has had plenty of clunkers over the years. Even the best of the best aren't great in every playoff game.