7 (8.1%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
0 (0%)
Washington Redskins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots' Day: V - Screw Goodell  (Read 218679 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD
« Reply #560 on: June 24, 2016, 07:07:24 AM »
Getting kids excited is a step in the right direction.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #561 on: June 24, 2016, 08:25:28 AM »
His young boys, 5-7, are already asking if they can be Rams fans! 

You had me right up to this part.  Nobody wants to be a Rams fan.  It just happens when you are born into it and don't know any better.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #562 on: June 24, 2016, 08:39:22 AM »

You had me right up to this part.  Nobody wants to be a Rams fan.  It just happens when you are born into it and don't know any better.
I realize that you're mostly getting a dig in at Rams fans, but it's still very much true with almost all sports fans. It's something that has interested me ever since I reevaluated my partiality for my home town team. When I was in NY last month I asked a couple of people what determined if they were Giants or Jets fans and none of them had an answer other than "I dunno, just always have been." People really do tend to be born into fandom.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #563 on: June 24, 2016, 08:46:44 AM »

I realize that you're mostly getting a dig in at Rams fans, but it's still very much true with almost all sports fans. It's something that has interested me ever since I reevaluated my partiality for my home town team. When I was in NY last month I asked a couple of people what determined if they were Giants or Jets fans and none of them had an answer other than "I dunno, just always have been." People really do tend to be born into fandom.

I always find it funny that my dad and I only agree on one out of the four major sports. We're both Yankees fans, but he roots for the Giants, Rangers, and Knicks, while I root for the Jets, Devils, and Nets. With the Devils and Nets, my take was that they're the only two sports teams that admitted to playing in New Jersey (I'm looking at you Giants and Jets), so I was going to root for them. It helped that the Devils were hitting a pretty remarkable run of success at the time (I was 8 when they surprised everyone and swept the Red Wings for the cup). I'm not totally sure what led me to the Jets instead of the Giants, but I think 6 year old me thought it was cool that their QB was named Boomer :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: June 24, 2016, 08:52:33 AM »
Same here actually, my father and I are Rangers fans and thats it  He's Jets, I'm Giants.  He's Mets, I'm Yankees...neither of us care too much about the NBA.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #565 on: June 24, 2016, 08:59:14 AM »
I cared more about the Nets when they were still in NJ, not so much anymore. The only thing I've been to Barclays for so far has been professional wrestling :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #566 on: June 24, 2016, 09:12:26 AM »
My dad and I agree on all sports (Yankees, Jets, Rangers, and I like the Nets while he doesn't really care for basketball) but most of my family members are Mets and Giants fans. The only sport we all agree on is hockey with us all being die hard Ranger fans. I wish I didn't follow my dad's footsteps with football but the green blood runs deep in me just like him.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: June 24, 2016, 06:23:08 PM »
Getting kids excited is a step in the right direction.
Exactly.. that's one of the "X" factors as to whether we will succeed this time.  Of all the possible regions, this one is probably the most tricky.  Having fresh young new fans can help galvanize a solid fan base.  Like you mentioned earlier, Hef...  I want to be optimistic, but our market is a dicey market.  By the way!  11/6/16 at the Coliseum...Panthers vs. Rams.  3 current teams have never played in LA.  Panthers, Jags, and Texans.  The Panthers/Rams game should be awesome!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #568 on: June 27, 2016, 06:48:32 AM »
ROAD TRIP!

Well, no, probably not.  But that would be sweet.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: June 27, 2016, 10:22:44 PM »
ROAD TRIP!

Well, no, probably not.  But that would be sweet.

Yes it would!  :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #570 on: June 28, 2016, 07:00:40 AM »
Hopefully I get out that way some day, pal.  :tup

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #571 on: June 28, 2016, 09:08:39 AM »
Rest in Peace Buddy Ryan. A true innovator who revolutionized defensive strategy and changed the game for the better as a result.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: June 28, 2016, 09:08:45 AM »
RIP Buddy Ryan.  A defensive guru and a true character.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #573 on: June 28, 2016, 11:59:10 AM »
Oh wow.  RIP

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: June 28, 2016, 05:05:22 PM »
Yeah, what a sad day.  Growing up watching Buddy-Ball was always fun.  He was the Defensive Master!  Rest in Peace, Coach.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #575 on: June 30, 2016, 06:29:19 AM »
So Andrew Luck is not the highest paid player in NFL history. Thoughts? Personally I think it's a terrible deal by the Colts to spend so much money on someone who hasn't won them much in the playoffs. Plus how are they going to afford to surround him with talent?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #576 on: June 30, 2016, 06:35:13 AM »
You have to pay Luck.  I don't blame him at all for their problems in the playoffs.  Grigson the GM has been atrocious with drafting and free agency.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #577 on: June 30, 2016, 07:00:45 AM »
You have to pay Luck.  I don't blame him at all for their problems in the playoffs.  Grigson the GM has been atrocious with drafting and free agency.
This.  You have to lock him down.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #578 on: June 30, 2016, 08:19:06 AM »
Yup. Whether or not he's the second coming isn't really the point right now. He's the very best they have access to now or for the foreseeable future. If that's what the market demands then you have to pay him.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: June 30, 2016, 08:25:06 AM »
Agreed. There are far less "Franchise QBs" than franchises. If you have one, you've got to pay the hell out of him. Just the way it goes.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #580 on: June 30, 2016, 08:31:57 AM »
I agree.  And if he chose to test the market, there would be a TON of teams that would pay him.  Despite that he hasn't gone very far in the playoffs yet, he is playing QB at a very high level in the NFL.  You have to reward that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #581 on: July 01, 2016, 04:35:30 PM »
Yep, smart signing by the Colts.  Even though Luck hasn't gotten to the level yet that most thought he would be at by now, his upside is still tremendous, and let's face it, in the NFL, having a good QB over the long haul puts you in contention most years, so if you have one and a chance to lock him in, you do it.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #582 on: July 04, 2016, 07:48:21 AM »
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2016/film-room-joe-flacco

Flacco exposed! Not due to poor receiving corps, but bad mechanics and accuracy.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: July 04, 2016, 08:23:45 AM »

Flacco exposed! Not due to poor receiving corps, but bad mechanics and accuracy.

I'm sure Flacco is all broken up over this article. 

2015 was an abysmal season for the Ravens, but somehow, they still were able to sweep the Steelers.

Happy 4th of July!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #584 on: July 04, 2016, 08:43:34 AM »
Yep, I'd love to see them break down Roethlisberger and his 2015 season, which saw him managing to only throw 21 touchdowns, while throwing 16 interceptions (3rd most in the league despite missing a month), and all this despite having arguably the best skill position players in the NFL.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #585 on: July 04, 2016, 12:57:33 PM »
Yep, I'd love to see them break down Roethlisberger and his 2015 season, which saw him managing to only throw 21 touchdowns, while throwing 16 interceptions (3rd most in the league despite missing a month), and all this despite having arguably the best skill position players in the NFL.

Thank you! People give Big Ben way too much credit. He had the worst passer rating by a winning QB in Super Bowl history in Super Bowl XL and if it wasn't for James Harrison's ridiculous interception return and Santonio Holmes one clutch moment in his career in Super Bowl XLIII, Roethlisberger's Super Bowl legacy would be that one terrible game where he was carried to victory. He's a good QB but I can't stand when people put him on the level of Brady and Rodgers, who are both guys that have enhanced the talent around them and lead mediocre players to successful seasons time and time again. Flacco at this point in their careers is a way better QB than Ben.

-MirrorMask

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #586 on: July 04, 2016, 08:03:43 PM »

Pretty lame article, was that written by a Steelers fan that was sour about that banged up Ravens team that swept them last year? I stopped reading after the writer accused Flacco of giving up on his mechanics after signing that big contract with the Ravens  ::)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #587 on: July 04, 2016, 08:25:05 PM »

Thank you! People give Big Ben way too much credit. He had the worst passer rating by a winning QB in Super Bowl history in Super Bowl XL and if it wasn't for James Harrison's ridiculous interception return and Santonio Holmes one clutch moment in his career in Super Bowl XLIII, Roethlisberger's Super Bowl legacy would be that one terrible game where he was carried to victory. He's a good QB but I can't stand when people put him on the level of Brady and Rodgers, who are both guys that have enhanced the talent around them and lead mediocre players to successful seasons time and time again. Flacco at this point in their careers is a way better QB than Ben.

Now, now, let's not get too crazy. :lol :big grin:

Roethlisberger is still probably the 6th or 7th best QB in the league, while Flacco needs to find his way back into the top 10 after last year.

It's true that Roethlisberger was awful in his first SB, but to his credit, he was great during their run through the AFC in that postseason.

I think just some want to elevate him to 3rd best since he has never been that good and some want him to finally get up there.  It's been Rodgers, Peyton, Brady and Brees as the top 4 for the last 7-8 years, but last year, with Manning falling off the cliff and Brees appearing to decline a bit, it was easy for some to promote Ben up to 3rd, but the reality is that Wilson had already passed him, Cam blew past him last year, and Brees' alleged slight decline was premature (I think the perception is there because they haven't won as many games).  Right now, the best five QBs in the NFL are clearly, IMO, Rodgers, Brady, Wilson, Cam and Brees.  Roethlisberger is fighting for 6th with Palmer and Rivers and maybe even Dalton (or a healthy Romo).  I can't put Palmer top 5 despite his great numbers last year, because his playoff performances were too poor (he was bad in the GB game, but got incredibly lucky three times, and then was dreadful against Carolina).

Pretty lame article, was that written by a Steelers fan that was sour about that banged up Ravens team that swept them last year?

It sure seems like it, doesn't it? I cracked up at the writer trying to demean the 2012 playoff performance of Flacco, who had one of the greatest postseasons any QB has ever had.  Yeah, he just threw the balls up in the air and Boldin went and got them. :lol :lol :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #588 on: July 05, 2016, 07:14:14 AM »
Ben is without question in the top 3 quarterbacks in the NFL  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #589 on: July 05, 2016, 07:19:56 AM »
Panthers training camp opens July 28th.  I assume the other clubs start around the same time.   :metal

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #590 on: July 05, 2016, 08:23:36 AM »
Go Dolphins

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #591 on: July 05, 2016, 04:46:20 PM »

How?  Please explain.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #592 on: July 05, 2016, 08:48:56 PM »

Not sure if you're just sticking up for your guy, but it's hard for me to speak about the top 3 QBs in the NFL as if it were set in stone right now. As of last season, Brees, Brady and Rodgers are the top 3 QBs in my opinion. Are you suggesting that it's not even debatable that Ben is better than one of them? I'm sure some may disagree with Brees being in the top 3, but could you imagine if he had Antonio Brown, Martavis Bryant and Leveon Bell (just to name a few)? Not to mention, if the guy had a competent defense…

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: July 06, 2016, 05:41:19 AM »

How?  Please explain.

Somewhere between 5-10 for me

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #594 on: July 06, 2016, 06:51:46 AM »

How?  Please explain.

IMO, the top three quarterbacks in the league are Brady, Rodgers, and Ben (in no particular order). Those are the three guys I would want starting at quarterback for my team above anyone else. Not sure what you want me to explain? That's just my opinion, I could cherry-pick some stats in there to prove my point and then you could cherry-pick some of your own to disprove it and so on and so on...

I'm actually surprised that (1) you guys are surprised I'd put Ben in the top three (he is widely considered by experts to be in the top three) and (2) I'm seeing Brees' name as a top three quarterback in this discussion, I don't think he is that good at this point in his career.