7 (8.1%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
0 (0%)
Washington Redskins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots' Day: V - Screw Goodell  (Read 218714 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - Regular Season Schedule Unveiled
« Reply #385 on: April 15, 2016, 05:55:34 PM »
He's Harry Ellis in Die Hard.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #386 on: April 15, 2016, 06:21:21 PM »
I doubt he's into anything that will kill him. I see him acting a fool for a few more years until he actually has to work for a living and then settling down and selling real estate.

I see him going down the Ryan Leaf path.  What an epic fuck-up this guy is.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #387 on: April 15, 2016, 06:26:47 PM »
:lol
It's true on so many levels.

I doubt he's into anything that will kill him. I see him acting a fool for a few more years until he actually has to work for a living and then settling down and selling real estate.

Certainly similarities, but in Maniel's case his parents are filthy stinking rich. That makes all the difference in the world. Rich people can be junkies.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #388 on: April 16, 2016, 07:11:23 AM »
I have Manziel in my Death Pool,

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #389 on: April 17, 2016, 05:44:44 PM »

Not a bad call.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #390 on: April 17, 2016, 06:03:35 PM »
This is the first year in forever that I'm not in a death pool, but he wouldn't have made my list. A penchant for partying alone never makes the cut. It has to include psychological problems or drug use beyond one's ability to cope. I don't gather JM is doing anything immediately dangerous, even for somebody of his limited faculties. He's not smart enough to do heroin safely, and pills combined with alcohol are tricky for anybody, but I suspect he's just doing lots of coke and a variety of head drugs. He's not depressed and he has a good safety net, so as long as he's just being young and having a good time, I don't see anything likely to kill him at this point.

Which pool are you in, by the way?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: April 18, 2016, 07:47:35 AM »

Certainly similarities, but in Maniel's case his parents are filthy stinking rich. That makes all the difference in the world. Rich people can be junkies.

But it also likely means he won't have to result into working for a living to get that realization.  I don't see him dying anytime soon, he's just a raging alcoholic and as long as he doesn't kill himself or anyone else with a car, he'll linger on.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #392 on: April 18, 2016, 04:52:10 PM »

:rollin :rollin

OMG that is perfect
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: April 20, 2016, 09:34:12 AM »
Interesting read on when the Browns passed on Big Ben in the 2004 draft.

https://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/story/_/id/15232563/the-day-browns-passed-big-ben

Roethlisberger: "Two quarterbacks had already been picked, so as a competitor, I felt underestimated. When Cleveland passed on me, technically my hometown team, that was it. I couldn't wait to have a team and play the Browns at some point. Funny how it works out I'd go to Pittsburgh and play them twice a year."

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - NFL Draft begins on April 28th
« Reply #394 on: April 20, 2016, 10:14:15 AM »
I'm going to try to head downtown to the draft probably on Saturday the 30th so my daughter can participate in some of those activities in Grant Park. It looked like they had a ton of stuff that catered to kids last year. Maybe I'll see a face or two as well.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: April 20, 2016, 12:00:05 PM »
https://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15280364/cleveland-browns-trade-no-2-pick-draft-philadelphia-eagles-five-picks

Guess their QB trade (Bradford for Foles) didn't work out for either Philly or LA. Both traded up and sacrificed a number of draft picks to get in position to get one of the two QBs at the top of the draft order.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #396 on: April 20, 2016, 12:52:36 PM »
Seems like a weird year to make those kinds of moves for QBs.

Oh well.  I wish them luck.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: April 20, 2016, 01:45:22 PM »
Can't wait to watch the Browns blow all the draft picks they just acquired just like they did after the Julio Jones trade.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: April 20, 2016, 01:49:37 PM »
Still a very good move by the Browns.

Sounds weird to say that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: April 20, 2016, 02:24:23 PM »
Still a very good move by the Browns.

Sounds weird to say that.

Yea, Im all for trading down to get extra picks and they still get a top 10 pick this year so great move for them if you ask me.  Not sure about for Philly though, I don't really think this is the year to draft a QB so high, but what do I know.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #400 on: April 20, 2016, 03:30:21 PM »
Not liking this trade at all. Too many picks for a non slam-dunk prospect.

Oh well, just gonna have to hope the QB they get turns into a star.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: April 20, 2016, 03:52:21 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - Josh Norman = UFA
« Reply #402 on: April 20, 2016, 08:21:55 PM »
Josh Norman is really good, but really great?  I don't see it.  I think he benefits greatly by the Panthers tremendous front 7.  Smart move by Carolina to not overpay him. 

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #403 on: April 21, 2016, 06:40:22 AM »
What in the blue hell are the Eagles thinking? Apparently Chip Kelly wasn't the only one to blame for their issues.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #404 on: April 21, 2016, 07:03:35 AM »
Too bad the Panthers couldn't make a deal with Norman, but I don't blame them for their move.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #406 on: April 22, 2016, 07:05:43 PM »
https://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15280364/cleveland-browns-trade-no-2-pick-draft-philadelphia-eagles-five-picks

Guess their QB trade (Bradford for Foles) didn't work out for either Philly or LA. Both traded up and sacrificed a number of draft picks to get in position to get one of the two QBs at the top of the draft order.

It's funny how guys get so worked up about the draft. Remember Brady's crying jag a few years ago when discussing it? They should just feel blessed to be in the NFL period.

Edit: whoops, meant to quote your post about Ben being passed over by Cleveland
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 07:08:20 AM by Dream Team »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - Josh Norman signs with Washington
« Reply #407 on: April 22, 2016, 07:16:27 PM »
You mean territorial QB's feeling threatened?  And I don't remember Brady ever saying what you did.  It did light a fire in his assound.  It always does when they hire for your postion.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #408 on: April 22, 2016, 08:22:52 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: April 22, 2016, 08:28:38 PM »
Ain't that the truth.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #410 on: April 25, 2016, 10:17:39 AM »
Tom Brady's four game suspension has been reinstated. As a Jets fan, I'm happy. As a football fan in general, I don't know how to feel. I truly think he cheated (which may be my bias showing) but if the court had overruled it originally, I don't see how they came to the decision to overrule the overruling. I just hope that Brady can't appeal this, because I'm so sick of this saga and just want it to be over.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: April 25, 2016, 10:25:51 AM »
It can be but it sounds in the end it will only delay the suspension.  To me, it allows the NFL to do whatever they want with no checks and balances.  Now the NFLPA did sign the CBA but lets be honest, giving the owners this power is very dangerous for all NFL fans of all the teams.  Beware all NFL fans enjoying this moment.  Your team will be next.  Ask Miami, ask N.O.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #412 on: April 25, 2016, 11:10:58 AM »
It can be but it sounds in the end it will only delay the suspension.  To me, it allows the NFL to do whatever they want with no checks and balances.  Now the NFLPA did sign the CBA but lets be honest, giving the owners this power is very dangerous for all NFL fans of all the teams. Beware all NFL fans enjoying this moment.  Your team will be next.  Ask Miami, ask N.O.
Times have changed, though. It's increasingly apparent that a handful of owners run the league. While the league has established the ability to act capriciously at the will of the owners, it's only certain owners. Panthers fans have something to worry about. Cowboys fans, not so much. It's simply a matter of seeing both sides of the rift. The discussions regarding the LA relocation and the sanctions against Kraft/Patriots made that pretty clear.

Honestly, I'm ready for the NFL to die. It's become corrupt to the point of rendering it a joke, and its stance on concussions is insulting to anybody with more than 7 brain cells. I'm ready for an anti-trust challenge.
E.F. Benson

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #413 on: April 25, 2016, 11:24:22 AM »
I wouldn't say I'm ready for the NFL to die but I'm 100% ready for Rodger Goodell to go away. Brady should not be suspended and the Patriots should not have been docked draft picks. This whole thing has been a joke from day one and the black eye of the NFL keeps getting blacker becasue of Goodell.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: April 25, 2016, 11:25:40 AM »
Goodell is a puppet for the owners as El Barto pointed out. 

All I know is there will be a strike the next contract.  That's obvious.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #415 on: April 25, 2016, 11:30:42 AM »
Yeah, Goodell's job is to take the black eyes for the owners. The problem is that he earns a few more of them from his own incompetence. That's why I figure the owners will eventually sack him.  They need a lightning rod, but they don't need somebody creating the storms around them.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: April 25, 2016, 11:49:39 AM »
It can be but it sounds in the end it will only delay the suspension.  To me, it allows the NFL to do whatever they want with no checks and balances.  Now the NFLPA did sign the CBA but lets be honest, giving the owners this power is very dangerous for all NFL fans of all the teams. Beware all NFL fans enjoying this moment.  Your team will be next.  Ask Miami, ask N.O.
Times have changed, though. It's increasingly apparent that a handful of owners run the league. While the league has established the ability to act capriciously at the will of the owners, it's only certain owners. Panthers fans have something to worry about. Cowboys fans, not so much. It's simply a matter of seeing both sides of the rift. The discussions regarding the LA relocation and the sanctions against Kraft/Patriots made that pretty clear.

Honestly, I'm ready for the NFL to die. It's become corrupt to the point of rendering it a joke, and its stance on concussions is insulting to anybody with more than 7 brain cells. I'm ready for an anti-trust challenge.

Dallas didn't get out of the "No salary cap year" rule break which was ridiculous since it was quite clear they didn't break any rule.

I want Goodell out too, this is getting ridiculous and I can't believe how Brady is now suspended again  :facepalm: I haven't looked into it this time around and not even sure I want to, it's just old now and it rubs me the wrong way at this point (And I am one who thinks Brady was guilty too).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: April 25, 2016, 11:55:00 AM »
It's also about structure for punishment.  He's free to set any punishment.  Some get a slap on the wrist for using stuck um, heating footballs but you let out air and it's 4 games.  That's why there needs to be a neutral arbiter. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #419 on: April 25, 2016, 12:02:02 PM »

Dallas didn't get out of the "No salary cap year" rule break which was ridiculous since it was quite clear they didn't break any rule.

I want Goodell out too, this is getting ridiculous and I can't believe how Brady is now suspended again  :facepalm: I haven't looked into it this time around and not even sure I want to, it's just old now and it rubs me the wrong way at this point (And I am one who thinks Brady was guilty too).
That was then and this is now. In fact, that was a key impetus in Jerry (and Little Danny, as well) becoming as involved as they have. If you do a search for old money and new money in the NFL there is plenty written about the schism between the owners. Sticking it to Kraft was an outcome of that. Bullying the Chargers out of their relocation was a bigger one.

Interestingly, I doubt the owners actually want Brady suspended at all. He's one of the NFL's biggest stars (sold more merchandise than any other player last year). The teams they play in weeks 1-4 will enjoy playing a weakened team but won't enjoy the lack of interest the games get without Brady. The owners wanted to stick it to Kraft and the Patriots, which they did (and quietly convinced him not to appeal). Two of those are prime-time games, as well. That's certainly not good business for the NFL.

And Rex Ryan is a fucking idiot.
E.F. Benson