Author Topic: Top Mike Mangini moments in The Astonishing  (Read 10024 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Top Mike Mangini moments in The Astonishing
« on: February 10, 2016, 02:19:00 AM »
I guess I am the resident Mike Mangini thread starter.  :lol

As expected, I love what Mangini brought to the table in The Astonishing (although he occasionally fell in love too much with the double bass  :lol ). Superb playing and drum composition all throughout. Here, for me, are the top 10 Mangini moments:

10. Begin Again outro (3:15 onwards) - this groovy section has Mangini using his clockwise & counter-clockwise limb system playing a basic snare and drum pattern while one limb syncopates a hi-hat in the right speaker and another limb does a more playful pattern on the left speaker.

9. Dystopian Overture (2:56 to 3:25) - Mangini does a nice pattern with the toms, which is not extraordinary, but the thing that made me smile here is the added texture of cymbals playing a ride pattern on the right speaker (which basically means Mangini is playing the toms and snare with his left hand only).

8. The Gift of Music intro (0:10 to 0:23) - the pulsating drum pattern in the intro really sets the tone of the song for me, with just the right amount of off-beat bass and snare hits to keep me from doing traditional headbanging.  :metal

7. Moment of Betrayal outro (5:25 onwards) - what I love in this part is that Mangini is doing the usual highlighting of what the other instruments are doing, but his choices of what to highlight and how to highlight it comes from out of left field that he keeps you on your toes.

6. Three Days outro (3:26 onwards) - swing jazz blastbeat. nobody saw that coming.

5. A New Beginning instrumental and outro (3:47 onwards) - the drumming orchestration in the instrumental is textbook Mangini keeping a tight beat while highlighting what the other instruments are doing. And then that beautiful outro. Mangini keeping it simple and tight, making JP's guitar solo and JM's 80s bass groove work. Sort of reminds me of his work in early Annihilator or some Steve Vai (Black Forest, for example).

4. Ravenskill (2:10 to 4:00) - Mangini doing just straight up old-school rock drumming and it just :metal . I keep on picturing people in the concert just headbanging to this beat. I also love the drumming in the more theatrical parts, very dramatic.

3. The Path That Divides (2:04 to 3:58) - One of Mangini's best assets is his kick drum technique and it is in this song that it really shines. Best part was when his bass drum synced up with James during the "rap" portion while the hi-hats and the snare keep a tight beat.

2. A Life Left Behind (0:08 to 1:23) - This is elegant orchestration. It's like Mangini channeling Terry Bozzio during his UK stint. I love the changes in cymbal choices in the orchestration (using the ride when complementing the piano, shifting to hi-hats for guitars, etc). I am a Mangini fanboy so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but for me, this is flawless.

1. The Walking Shadow (whole song) - This is a technical drumming masterpiece that is also very musical. This is how you use drums in helping tell a story. When the hi-hat goes "tic tic tic" as Daryus waits for the walking shadow, you get that sense of foreboding, being disrupted by clever shifts in downbeats to contrast with the riffing. But the best part is the drumming after the interlude, with one of the most complex polyrhythmic drumming in a Dream Theater song. It's a set of ten bars of 14/8 (or 7/4) marked by the crash cymbal. In the first three bars, the snare hits on the 8th eighth note, but on the 4th bar, the snare hits on the 7th eighth note, following LaBrie's lines that goes 4 bars of 6/8, 4 bars of 5/8, 4 bars of 4/8, 4 bars of 3/8 and 3 bars of 2/8, with the final snare hit leading to the roll (the 20th syllable "...Faythe) coinciding with the crash cymbal after the final bar of the 14/8 underlying beat. All this while the bass drum syncs with John Myung's irregular bass. All this craziness not just being a technical exercise but actually contributing to the confusing and climactic atmosphere being called for in the song. Amazing.

EDITED to correct the counting in the Walking Shadow.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:09:09 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Re: Top Mike Mangini moments in The Astonishing
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 02:26:13 AM »
Damn right, The Walking Shadow is an example of how over-the-top technicality can work amazingly for a song. Mangini gave his best in DT12 so far, but in this album there are tons of cool subtleties. It will be interesting to watch videos of him playing the songs live.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 02:46:58 AM »
Nice writeup!

I love the final fill (outburst) he does in The Walking Shadow.  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 02:57:41 AM »
Great thread, I would have probably opened a similar one if I could actually penetrate this album (or is it vice versa? :lol). It was a pleasure listening to the parts you highlighted. Mangini does indeed use a lot of double bass on this album, but I love it, I'm a huge double bass enthusiast and it never gets old with me. I also love the sound of the kick drum, it's deep, powerful, yet snappy and tight, one of my favorite DT kick drum sounds. Some of the cymbals sound spectacular too, like the crisp clear hi-hat at 01:06 during The Walking Shadow.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 03:58:46 AM »
Fantastic thread. I loved Mangini's drumwork on this album, it's so over the top!

Offline theinuu

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 04:08:01 AM »
Great thread and good remarks! Those were the things I paid attention to when I listened the album few times. As a drummer, I really enjoy MM's drumming. I think MM really shines on drums when the band is playing more complex stuff. I totally understand if people think that MM uses triggers on both DT12 and TA. His playing is so consistent that it really feels that he is using triggers, even if he does not.

One thing I really needed to get used to when MM replaced MP was that MM does not use splashes and stax cymbals as much as MP did. In addition, MP used a alot more crash cymbals in choruses and guitar solos than MM. For example, I'm pretty sure that MP would not have played the outro of A New Beginning the way that MM played it. I'm not stating that this is a bad thing. It is really refreshing to hear MM's playing. And it is damn difficult to practice his parts :D

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 04:31:52 AM »
Three Days outro is obviously remarkable, but my favorite Mangini moments have pretty much always been his ride cymbals in some of the choruses, a la Lost Not Forgotten, he has quite a few of those on the new album.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 04:56:31 AM »
Three Days outro is obviously remarkable, but my favorite Mangini moments have pretty much always been his ride cymbals in some of the choruses, a la Lost Not Forgotten, he has quite a few of those on the new album.

There's this part in Three Days where his ride was amazing, playing with the piano. He loves using the ride to highlight piano parts. Examples would be in Dystopian Overture and when the drums come in in A Tempting Offer.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 05:33:53 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 07:37:52 AM »
Not the most crazy thing, but I like the drum fill at 1:16 in Our New World. Actually I find the whole song very air-drummable.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 10:38:40 AM »
MM is awesome on TA, his best album so far (although I'd lean toward ADTOE if it had better production). Still not up with MP's best efforts but great nonetheless.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 10:53:33 AM »
That's a great OP! :tup
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 11:46:41 AM »
Mangini's great at the parts that very good and very musically complicated, but seem simple if you don't analyze them. It shows how he does a lot of subtle things to add a little extra to the music without ever distracting from it.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 12:11:01 PM »
Mangini's great at the parts that very good and very musically complicated, but seem simple if you don't analyze them. It shows how he does a lot of subtle things to add a little extra to the music without ever distracting from it.

I completely agree!

In this regard, if I had to compare DT drummers to legendary prog drummers I would say MM is like Bill Bruford while MP is like Neil Peart.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 12:20:07 PM »
Excellent thread, and this may very well be his best DT album performance so far. I noticed most of these, but a few I hadn't really thought about (noteably The Walking Shadow), but it's spot-on. He is the master of making complicated parts sound simple -- until you try and learn them! :lol

As far as MM not using splashes and stacks as much, splashes maybe so, but he uses his stacks plenty on this album. The thing is, the ones he tends to use are larger than MP's so they won't have the same type of sound. If you hear a china cymbal with a very fast decay, it's probably one of his larger stacks too.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 03:00:31 PM »

I completely agree!

In this regard, if I had to compare DT drummers to legendary prog drummers I would say MM is like Bill Bruford while MP is like Neil Peart.

MM as Bruford is a good comparison. For me, though, MM really sounds more like a metal version of Terry Bozzio. When I hear a song like this, I keep picturing MM playing a lot of the parts that way.

Offline pringkaarwanda

• Thanks for beautiful music, Dream Theater
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2016, 08:20:59 PM »
Woaah man !!! Very happy to read this kind of thread !!!  :biggrin: :tup
You notice all that drum detail just like me, I notice all of that too
I always concentrate and put my focus to listening the drum. I always focus on my stereo speaker or headset, so I can find out what cymbal, or tom mangini hit on the song
Every body did very very good job in this album, not only petrucci, or rudess, or labrie, but all of them., Myung and mangini very did a great job too...  :tup :tup :tup :tup
cant wait too see they playing this album live !!!
hope someone focus to record mangini when they play live, so we all can know what actually he doing back there...  :tup :biggrin:

Do you think in A New Beginning, 00:30 to 00:48, and 01:25 to 01:41, mangini hit left and right hihat cymbal??
and then 04:14 to 04:21, that left hihat and right stack???? in crazy time signature 15/8, 7/4, 15/8 and 8/4 !!??
it just like what he doing in Lost Not Forgotten in 05:22 to 05:38 ??? you know what I mean??  :huh: :tup :omg:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 08:28:23 PM by pringkaarwanda »

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 09:04:37 PM »
I do not quite get what you mean about the ealier part of ANB, but the playing in the solo that you mentioned, that was killer. I love how the hi-hats are keeping a metronomic beat while the other limbs are following the other instruments with the changing time signatures. It was a reversal of the section before where the bass and snare are keeping a constant beat while the cymbals are following JR's keys.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:22:06 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 09:10:29 PM »
I'm amazed nobody has said the "Meet me tonight where the stars touch the sky...."  that whole part, his drumming just makes it so climatic.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 09:25:57 PM »
Yeah, the drums in that section of MOB was amazing, especially the bass. Much more impressed with The Path That Divides, though. I would be interested to see if he can pull off live the bass during the rap portion.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 09:28:42 PM »
Speaking of MoB, the drumming in the second verse is also really cool.

Offline pringkaarwanda

• Thanks for beautiful music, Dream Theater
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 09:30:52 PM »
I do not quite get what you mean about the ealier part of ANB, but the playing in the solo that you mentioned, that was killer. I love how the hi-hats are keeping a metronomic beat while the other limbs are following the other instruments with the changing time signatures. It was a reversal of the section before where the bass and snare are keeping a constant beat while the cymbals are following JR's keys.
well, maybe I am wrong in the earlier part of A New Beginning.. But at least you understand what I am talking about part 04:14 to 04:21
that was mind blowing !!!  :omg: :omg: :omg:
I'll try to make drum midi for that part so everyone can hear what actually we're talking about hahahaha  :tup :tup :lol :lol

Offline FsF

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 10:22:04 PM »
Hard Mode: Try doing one for Myung...

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 01:29:24 AM »
Hard Mode: Try doing one for Myung...

Wait for it later today. You might be surprised.  :metal

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 01:35:58 AM »
Amazing post you did there, although most of that stuff I should pay attention to.

I have a question regarding this bit on "The Walking Shadow":

(...) and 4 bars of 2/8, with the final snare hit leading to the roll (the 15th syllable "...Faythe) coinciding with the crash cymbal after the final bar of the 14/8 underlying beat.

Every time I hear the song, I count 3 bars of 2/8 (during which James only sings "Shadow is"), and I always assume that's it - on "Faythe!", some sort of musical madness begins.

Is it really 4 bars of 2/8? Should I look at it from another angle? I'm no drummer, but I enjoy understanding about rhythm and odd time signatures/polyrhythms, so maybe I should re-read your post tomorrow.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2016, 02:08:01 AM »
Amazing post you did there, although most of that stuff I should pay attention to.

I have a question regarding this bit on "The Walking Shadow":

(...) and 4 bars of 2/8, with the final snare hit leading to the roll (the 15th syllable "...Faythe) coinciding with the crash cymbal after the final bar of the 14/8 underlying beat.

Every time I hear the song, I count 3 bars of 2/8 (during which James only sings "Shadow is"), and I always assume that's it - on "Faythe!", some sort of musical madness begins.

Is it really 4 bars of 2/8? Should I look at it from another angle? I'm no drummer, but I enjoy understanding about rhythm and odd time signatures/polyrhythms, so maybe I should re-read your post tomorrow.

Yep, you're correct. I looked at my notes and now I'm wondering why I wrote that. Let me edit. Hahaha. So it goes something like this:

4 bars of 6/8 - As his weapon
4 bars of 5/8 - Finds its victim
4 bars of 4/8 - Mortified, he's
4 bars of 3/8 - shocked to find the
3 bars of 2/8 - shadow is
20th hit - Faythe

« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 08:45:29 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2016, 02:24:29 AM »
Really like the part at about 3:00 in Ravenskill, just pure energy with the china cymbals, i can imagine Mike beating the shit out of the drums on this part live.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2016, 02:41:40 AM »
Really like the part at about 3:00 in Ravenskill, just pure energy with the china cymbals, i can imagine Mike beating the shit out of the drums on this part live.

Yeah, this would be killer when played live.

Offline Rickharris1011

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2016, 04:47:52 AM »
Not a drummer, but love the thread.  I think MM really shines in the half-time grooves all over TA, like the heavy part of Heaven's Cove where he plays a little bit behind the beat (am I saying that right?)...the double bass fills are awesome. I also love the groove in A tempting offer under that evil JR keyboard solo. 

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2016, 07:50:43 AM »
That part in A Tempting Offer is cool. My favorite from that song is the intro, when Mangini was doing a melodic run on the cymbals to mirror JR's piano. Then he also did the same thing with the toms.

My number 11 on the list would have been the drums during the second guitar solo in Our New World. No overdrumming, just excellent drum composition hitting the right accents to let JP shine.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2016, 10:07:59 AM »
Yep, you're correct. I looked at my notes and now I'm wondering why I wrote that. Let me edit. Hahaha. So it goes something like this:

4 bars of 6/8 - As his weapon
4 bars of 5/8 - Finds its victim
4 bars of 4/8 - Mortified, he's
4 bars of 3/8 - shocked to find the
3 bars of 2/8 - The shadow is
20th hit - Faythe

Thanks, man. You clearly are more knowledgeable than I am, so maybe you can help me with this?
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=45974.0

Thanks!

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2016, 10:16:30 AM »
I find MMs playing on Lord Nafaryus similar to MPs style.  And agreed its MMs best DT performance 
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2016, 11:01:57 AM »
There's this drum fill in A Savior In The Square @2:58 that makes me mad...

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2016, 11:27:25 PM »
Recent post from Mangini on Facebook:

"Technical Tidbit about the drum subtleties you'll see live- the double snares military part in The Astonishing is played as follows: My right-hand plays the 10" snare part of triplet twos and thress while the left plays the two rolls on the main snare. Those are a 13:2 and a 7 tuplet. Since both are odd, it is the upstroke of the one-handed roll in both cases that lands on "1" against the right-hand mini snare part. Really hard to do for me, but normal, even rolls do not work as well as odd ones even though most of the world won't even know what's going on. That's OK. We know smile emoticon As Tuplets go, the Gong drum rolls through out the album are all timed as huge tuplets. They aren't just rolls. Join me for the fun !"

So he was playing the two snares simultaneously in the march part in Astonishing (3:17 to 4:08). I thought those were two snares recorded separately, and they were just going for a marching band effect. That's crazy.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2016, 11:56:07 PM »
And Mangini seems really excited for the live shows.  :metal Again, from his Facebook:

"Just sharing some good vibes: The space in these new songs sounds and feels huge with a real, full band - shakes the room and is not easy to keep the feel from rushing for the sake of weakness for the moment. I thought it would be dynamic, but for it to be as powerful as I experienced is just tremendous. This show is going to take discipline, especially with a LOT of subtle notes between the lines and I know it is going to shake bones and walls. Nothing like a band in a room crushing a PA system. Even the quiet moments are haunting in person, but it is those quite moments that makes the bombastic, melodic outbursts hit even hards. Again, just sharing some excitement."

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2016, 02:06:18 AM »
And Mangini seems really excited for the live shows.  :metal Again, from his Facebook:

"Just sharing some good vibes: The space in these new songs sounds and feels huge with a real, full band - shakes the room and is not easy to keep the feel from rushing for the sake of weakness for the moment. I thought it would be dynamic, but for it to be as powerful as I experienced is just tremendous. This show is going to take discipline, especially with a LOT of subtle notes between the lines and I know it is going to shake bones and walls. Nothing like a band in a room crushing a PA system. Even the quiet moments are haunting in person, but it is those quite moments that makes the bombastic, melodic outbursts hit even hards. Again, just sharing some excitement."

This is going to be such an incredible tour. Really jelly.