Author Topic: Evermind's Second Roulette v. The Aftermath  (Read 123015 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Evermind's Second Roulette v. The god of man is a failure (#5)
« Reply #1575 on: April 17, 2016, 03:35:09 PM »
As much as I like Daedalus, Milly Michaelson has always been my favorite on that album. Something so serene about it... And along with Fly, I wanted the middle section to be more relaxing, coming before Agalloch
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Evermind's Second Roulette v. The black hole has shuffled your cards (#4)
« Reply #1576 on: April 17, 2016, 03:36:12 PM »
Good choice on Milly Michaelson; I've actually covered that song at an open mic night once. It's a very nice tune indeed :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1577 on: April 17, 2016, 03:42:18 PM »
I wish I could've heard your cover

Because there are screams in Daedalus :lol

:rollin

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1578 on: April 17, 2016, 03:45:14 PM »
“Zantera / Sacul music”

I'm gonna sig this :lol

Also, surprised about Agalloch doing THAT well, I guess I'll have to check your EP, seneca  :tup

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1579 on: April 17, 2016, 03:51:39 PM »
Looking back at my writeup for Agalloch - As Embers Dress the Sky while listening to it just now, I don't know why I still haven't really tried out this band, I remember how beautiful the music is instrumentally, still not 100% on the vocals though..
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's Second Roulette v. My life was just an empty hollow (#3)
« Reply #1580 on: April 17, 2016, 03:55:18 PM »
This is a penultimate reveal. So I guess ba-dum-tiss or something like that? I hope you're ready for all this.

#3: bl5150

The Empty Hollow

Pathosray – The Sad Game
Dyscordia – The Empty Room
Labyrinth – State of Grace
Rage – Empty Hollow Suite
   I. Empty Hollow
   II. Strings to a Web
   III. Fatal Grace
   IV. Connected
   V. Empty Hollow (Reprise)

Pathosray – The Sad Game

Alright, this song reminds me of Iris Divine, and not in a good way too. It’s intense, heavy as hell (It’s heavy as hell! I can tell. Fool fool~ ... uh. Don't mind me.),  and the ripping bassline makes it sound mechanical and lifeless. Tim thought Hibria would be too busy for me instrumentally – well, this song is too busy for me instrumentally, and Hibria is musical paradise compared to this.

Still, there are a lot of moments I like on this one. Weirdly enough, when the singer goes aggressive spouting all those single words, I think that’s one of my favourite moments; and when he gets to the proper soaring chorus where the track title is mentioned, I think that part is awesome too.

Given that you had a certain concept in mind – more on that in the EP flow section – I think this song works just fine. This was definitely the sound you were going for, and despite my initial dislike of this tune, I’ve grown to really enjoy it. So I’d say this isn’t amazing, but this is decent alright.

15.5/20

Dyscordia – The Empty Room

This is one of the two tunes with growls I’ve got in this round. And I don’t know what happened or what I’m thinking here, but I liked both of them!

This song reminds me – don’t laugh – of Gamma Ray with growls. The clean vocalist totally sounds like Kai Hansen, and the growls add that Ensiferum-like feel. I wonder what were you thinking when you sent this one, I guess you were striving to tie this track into overall concept, and I would say you succeeded. I actually like the contrast between the growls and the clean vocals – wait, is it the same singer? – and I think it really works in this song. Even where the growls going non-melodic, like in the chorus “Why? Why? Why?” parts, the clean vocals are doing their job providing me the power metal-infused lines. I’d say this song implements the so-called “beauty and the beast” technique only using the male voice and it’s not beautiful at all.

The standouts in this song include the second calm verse laid upon that powerful bassline, and the parts that follow it, where the singer goes really high on the screamed lines and guttural on the growly parts. If that’s indeed one singer, holy shit.

Overall I liked it way more than I should. And this song had growls. Go figure.

17.5/20

Labyrinth – State of Grace

This was the least memorable song from your EP, and I thought it felt too out of place. I know what it supposed to do in the concept, and I get you had to include something like that, but I wish you found a different song for this spot too. This song is just an another power metal song I didn’t really care about.

I mean, it’s kind of nice, but when you have three songs in your EP with very distinct sound and – I’ll go ahead and say that – personalities, you just don’t include the dull power metal song in that mix. This is probably the shortest write-up ever in this round, but I just don’t know what to say here.

13/20

Rage – Empty Hollow Suite

But in the end, your EP indeed comes out with a bang, both lyrically and musically. It was a good idea to actually close the EP with an epic that wasn’t cut or anything, and you picked just the right song for it, heavy metal, with orchestra, epic as hell too. I love this song, so let me fawn over it for a bit.

The main melody here is very memorable, and you just know it’s going to be a main melody when the orchestra plays it for the first time. I guess it’s really useful to have a father who’s a famous orchestra conductor (if your information is right), because you can get him to – surprise! – conduct an orchestra to make your heavy/power metal song more awesome. Now, the singer is incredible too, when he goes serious with “dark and grey!” line it’s only more awesome with each second passing. I liked the little callback to The Empty Room with “Tell me why! (why)” too.

And then the main melody comes in with the actual vocalist. Just, well, holy shit, this is really amazing. Then we get through three different sections, the second one is a cool instrumental (the highlight here is when the orchestra gets in the mix), the third one is a cool instrumental with a weird name, and the fourth one called Connected is a really nice and soulful piece of music, I like how calm and longing the singer sounds on this one. If it weren’t for that fantastic, brilliant main melody, I’d call this part my favourite. Very well done.

And of course, there’s the reprise. Just getting to hear this melody against was great, but there’s also that lyrical twist I’m going to talk in the next section… I’m just going to say this is very close to a perfect score. My second favourite song in this round.

19.5/20

EP review:

“Have probably taken the concept of the ‘flow’ to ridiculous lengths with this?” Yeah, no kidding! :lol I mean, I expected anything but a concept EP with the similar music themes a bloody story to go along with it. And you pulled this off with using four different artists, no less! I’m impressed.

You did a damn good job in this department, bringing something really unexpected to the table – a concept EP. And what’s even more impressive, it actually worked big time, if you ask me. I’m going to copy-paste the story description here for other people:

“So all of these songs have a dark emotional edge to them and I have created a story of a guy who is depressed and paranoid (song 1), then finds himself committed to a mental institution (song 2). In song 3 he finds the strength to dream of better things and is eventually released. In song 4 he finds himself on the outside but with no family/friends to support him and begins to feel very alone and depressed again.  But over the course of the epic finale he reconnects with friends and family and by the end he finds happiness and his life is no longer an “empty hollow”.

I can’t believe it actually works, but it does. I also liked how both The Sad Game, The Empty Room and The Empty Hollow had some similar melodies and similar mood to them, and of course the twist with “my life is just an empty hollow” to “my life was just an empty hollow” that made this EP work… well, it gives me chills alright.

The only thing I wasn’t too fond of is the transition from The Empty Room to State of Grace. I know you screwed up the editing in this one, but even if you didn’t, the transition still feels too abrupt. I can write off the growls and the chaotic nature of the first song to the intense, unhinged nature of the EP due to the story, but I thought this transition was a weak point of your EP. But that’s a minor complain for such an undertaking.

Flow points: 4.5/5

The average songs score: (15.5 + 17.5 + 13 + 19.5) / 4 = 16.375

The whole EP score: 16.375 + 4.5 = 20.875(3)

Total score: 67 + 20.875 = 87.875
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1581 on: April 17, 2016, 03:55:38 PM »
Looking back at my writeup for Agalloch - As Embers Dress the Sky while listening to it just now, I don't know why I still haven't really tried out this band, I remember how beautiful the music is instrumentally, still not 100% on the vocals though..

I find the vocals on both The Mantle and Ashes Against the Grain to be more... accessible, for lack of a better term, than on Pale Folklore and Marrow of the Spirit, even though I still really like both of those albums. Not quite sure what it is, but I had a hard time getting into Pale Folklore at first too - getting into The Mantle and AAtG helped with that.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1582 on: April 17, 2016, 04:00:50 PM »
That whole Rage suite is amazing.  The solo is incredible.

Dyscordia sounds awesome.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1583 on: April 17, 2016, 04:01:56 PM »
Okay, so we got two most metal EPs competing now, Tim against Kade... and it's really close. The results are coming in ~10 minutes because I need to get the posts ready.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1584 on: April 17, 2016, 04:06:35 PM »
OK, this sounds intriguing as hell, definitely giving Brent's EP a spin.

Also Ruslan, your anti-growl stance is slipping; next thing you know, you'll be jamming Meshuggah! ;)
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1585 on: April 17, 2016, 04:08:23 PM »
i've heard a lot of good things about marrow of the spirit even if it's not as universally praised as the mantle or ashes
the mantle is barely a metal album tho, only three tracks have growls and the longest of them doesn't even have that many  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1586 on: April 17, 2016, 04:09:15 PM »
Okay, so we got two most metal EPs competing now, Tim against Kade... and it's really close. The results are coming in ~10 minutes because I need to get the posts ready.

Damn, gotta step away from the PC for a few hours.  :lol

Let the better man win.  If I lose, I'm happy to lose to a man that loves Kip Winger more than I do.  :tup

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1587 on: April 17, 2016, 04:10:18 PM »
OK, this sounds intriguing as hell, definitely giving Brent's EP a spin.

Also Ruslan, your anti-growl stance is slipping; next thing you know, you'll be jamming Meshuggah! ;)

Yeah, no shit. I'm surprised as much as you are. :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1588 on: April 17, 2016, 04:12:16 PM »
i've heard a lot of good things about marrow of the spirit even if it's not as universally praised as the mantle or ashes
the mantle is barely a metal album tho, only three tracks have growls and the longest of them doesn't even have that many  :lol

The Mantle gets my blessing.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline 425

« Reply #1589 on: April 17, 2016, 04:20:48 PM »
“Zantera / Sacul music”

This is my favorite thing that I've read all day!
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's Second Roulette v. See-e-e-e my comma-a-a-a-ands! (#2 and #1)
« Reply #1590 on: April 17, 2016, 04:20:56 PM »
Alright, please don't be offended. You all rock, but only one person can win this one.

#2: wolfking

Off the Metal Cuff EP

UDO – Speeder
Bob Catley – Children of the Circle
Black Majesty – Firestorm
Trivium – The Ghost That’s Haunting You
Eden’s Curse – Turn the Page
UDO – Shadow Eyes
Trivium – The Darkness of My Mind

U.D.O. – Speeder

I have Accept in my banned list, true, but I actually never enjoyed Udo’s vocals that much. I think this song just emphasizes everything I don’t like about him. I know I said this before in this very roulette, and this time I was prepared since I’ve heard this singer even before I did this roulette – but it doesn’t really help Udo sounds like he’s throwing up here, or as Chad would put it, “got a little twerp in his mouth”. This song is also somewhat an opposite to a term “melodic”, because, I mean, the instruments here are melodic alright, but the vocal melodies are just the screamed parts. “Speeder! Deadlier than all! Like a wrecked ball! Faster than you are!”. There’s no melody behind these lines, just grit and the power, and I’ll be honest, I like my metal melodic enough, and this kind of song just doesn’t register with me.

12/20

Bob Catley – Children of the Circle

And speaking of melodic metal, this is just how I like it. Of course, sending Bob Catley was cheating on the grand scale of things, but as long as you get a high score, who the hell cares? I love the man’s voice, I love his work with Magnum and Avantasia, and this? This isn’t an exception. I’ve got chills from the very first line. “Standing tall, we worship the night…”, damn. Chills all over.

This was my favourite song from your EP by far. Instead of using two songs from Udo and Trivium I think you should’ve just stuck with Bob Catley, because this is the very definition of awesome. Unless this is the only highlight from his album, I fail to see why you decided not to send more songs from this… I’m listening to the song while I’m writing this and this tune is just brilliant. Fantastic pick right there.
(I’ve no idea what he’s singing though. “We are the sickles of the miracle?” I don’t really care though, it sounds awesome and I’m content with it. I’m just imagining him waving his hand in every direction like he always does live and that makes me smile. Damn, I love seeing Catley live. He kicks ass.)

19/20

Black Majesty – Firestorm

Here’s another awesome track, my second favourite from your EP. This reminds me of Nocturnal Rites, only not as kickass and impressive. Still, I think this is one of the better songs I received from you, and it does a good job to keep up with the heaviness and the overall metal style of your EP. The singer here is really impressive, the vocal melodies are well-written, the instrumental section is creative and engaging… the whole track is quite enjoyable indeed. Love it.

And of course, the ending deserves a separate mention. The way they have this intense keyboard riff punctuated with some guitar notes lead into the reckless scream, this is bloody great.

Sorry for the short write-up, by the way.

18/20

Trivium – The Ghost That’s Haunting You

Okay, so, Trivium. I’m going to get my main complaint about this band out right now, seeing how you sent two tracks from them and all. It might sound ridiculous, but well, this is my roulette and my tastes, so you’ll just have to deal with it I guess!

So I just think – alright, don’t laugh – that Trivium singer sounds arrogant as hell. That’s the best description I was able to come up with, really, and I feel it really does him justice, both on this song and on another one you sent my way. Now, I’m not saying it’s a real bad thing, you know; I think this song works alright, especially with the vocal melodies that are great here: “What have I done? What have I become? Standing six feet thick, and I’m the only one” is one of my favourite parts of your EP – by the way, I have no idea if those are the right lyrics. So overall this is a really solid song, but I think the band just isn’t for me. I kind of liked it, but it’s not something I would go out of my way to listen to – for example, I liked The Tea Party more. This tune sounds like a generic metal I would stay away from.

14.5/20

Eden’s Curse – Turn the Page

This is a funny song, in fact, I always forget it’s actually on your EP. I’m just like, alright, Kade included Catley, UDO, Trivium and Black Majesty, nice selection of artists and wait, what is that? At the first listen I thought it was Trivium, because it actually had those melodic rock catchy melodies and I thought maybe they had a different singer, but no, this was another band entirely.

I’ll be honest, I like this tune, but it’s just not spectacular enough to warrant an awesome score. It’s just a standard metal tune that I definitely enjoy, but that’s it.

16/20

U.D.O. – Shadow Eyes

Look, it’s another Udo’s song, and I actually like this one much more than Speeder. This has some melody behind it, and I really like Udo on this tune – I haven’t put Accept on my banned list just for hoots and giggles, I like his voice on the right songs, and this is one of them. “Can you hear me, hear me calling again?” gives me chills right here, love it.

I think that’s actually a bonus track? I don’t have time to check it right now since I’m just typing these with some incredible speed, but if it is, I’m baffled. This is loads better than Speeder, I like this song a lot. Of course, that’s the case with a lot of bonus tracks, hell, think about Over the Rainbow by Unisonic on their s/t, I think it was a Top 3 track easily. And it’s just the same thing here, awesome tune. Really liked it.

16.5/20

Trivium – The Darkness of My Mind

Here’s another Trivium song where the singer sounds arrogant and not to my taste. I think the intro is really cool, and the whole song actually has some great hooks and melodies, but once again it just comes down to the singer. I can’t put my finger on it but I really dislike him for some reason.

Obviously I can’t get past it, but I think this song is quite good despite singer getting on my nerves. They obviously tried to get the vocal melodies straight and memorable (even though I couldn’t make out the lyrics and ended up with “my sesai besai” instead of “demise is our design”), and they succeeded – this song is catchy as hell, but I wish they had different singer. Oh well, it’s kind of like beating a dead horse, isn’t it?

15/20

EP review:

Well, I feel like you just took the first metal tracks you thought of and dumped them into an EP – and you probably did exactly this – but it works surprisingly well. The outcome is quite consistent and solid. I liked how you cut all the silences between tracks and I liked how consistent the EP is, always energetic, and at the same time I liked the variety – UDO was a pure metal and speed, Bob Catley was melodic as hell, Trivium were straightforward, Black Majesty was a slight foray into prog… I thought the flow worked pretty well in this EP. Good job.

Flow points: 4/5

The average songs score: (12 + 19 + 18 + 14.5 + 16 + 16.5 + 15) / 7 = 15.857142(857142)

The whole EP score: 15.857142(857142) + 4 = 19.857142(857142)

Total score: 68,5 + 19.857142(857142) = 88.357142(357142)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 04:35:09 PM by Evermind »

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's Second Roulette v. See-e-e-e my comma-a-a-a-ands! (#2 and #1)
« Reply #1591 on: April 17, 2016, 04:21:13 PM »
#1: TAC

The TAC EP: A Bunch Of Cool Songs Plus One That Might Be Too Heavy

Golden Resurrection – See My Commands
Shadowquest – All One
Lords of the Trident – Shattered Skies
Hibria – Millenium Quest
Innerwish – Rain of a Thousand Years
Nightmare World – The Ever Becoming

Golden Resurrection – See My Commands

Kicking the EP off with a bang, Tim sent me the song from the heretic Christian band. You see, they write Christian lyrics, but their guitarist worships Gary Moore (that’s what Tim told me!). That’s certainly a unique occurrence, so I decided to avoid the lyrics whatsoever – but I have to say they’re cheesy as hell, which is fine with me – and just focus on the music.

And this is how you open your EP with a bang. There’s nothing spectacular in this song whatsoever, but it offers me a solid cut of well-written power metal, with the playful, shredding guitars all along, decent and somewhat gritty vocals, speedy and rhythmic drumming, and some fantastic vocal melodies. I think that musically this track – and your EP represents everything you’re standing for – more on that later in the write-ups (probably in the closing one that's coming up tomorrow).

So yeah, nice song indeed, even though – spoilers – it’s in the lower half of this EP. See my commands, get the good score.

17/20

Shadowquest – All One

This song serves a great continuation to the first one, not dropping any bit of energy on this one. At the first listen, I thought this reminds me of Bloodbound and then I read your write-up and it clicked. This is less intense than most of Bloodbound material though, it’s more like a mid-paced song bordering on some hymn-like power ballad in the choruses.

And the choruses are by far my favourite parts of this song. They’re cheesy and predictable as hell – and they’re also fit in the previous song’s theme: “I shelter you all” has almost the same number of syllables as “See my commands”, and the melodies and the message could be interpreted as the same themed-wise.

What actually brings this song down is the pre-choruses. The verses are nice with that certain heavy metal feel Bloodbound often uses, and the choruses are typical anthemic power metal, but the pre-choruses are some anti-melodic metal or something. I also don’t like how the chorus ends with that anti-climactic moment (“Because we are the one”), going into that raw guitar riff first time and the instrumental section second time. This is an enjoyable song, no doubt about that, but I think that was my second-least favourite from the batch. But it still gets a good score… talk about consistency here.

16/20

Lords of the Trident – Shattered Skies

Guess what? Another power metal song! Every EP featured some varying entries between the different genres, and you just went ahead and sent me an EP full or different kinds of power metal songs. And the thing is, I love power metal. I’m open to other genres, I like to think I’m open-minded enough, but I just can’t resist some good cheesy power metal – see my ranking for Broken Wings or Mermaids From Their Moons. I’m convinced you’re just exploiting my love for the power metal in this EP… which doesn’t make it any less good.

This song offers a fairly standard power metal fare, even more standard than the previous two – there are no Christian lyrics or such, they’re just full-blown fantasy here. The atmosphere is less grand and more business-like too, the chugging guitars, the serious Blind Guardian-like singer, they all add to it. The chorus is a standard one too, the singer goes higher here, but there’s nothing outstanding. It’s just another solid power metal song until the instrumental break comes up. I love the calm guitar solo here – probably my favourite part of the song along with the whole instrumental part.

The thing is, I love power metal songs. Other people may ridicule me for it, but this genre just appeals to me big time. I don’t care what other people think regarding this one. Cool song.

17.5/20

Hibria – Millenium Quest

Okay Tim, I literally have no idea what you were worrying about. Have you even heard those Iris Divine and Sunburst songs? Well obviously you heard Iris Divine, but… either you were too careful or you misread my tastes by a mile. Take that: this is by far my favourite song from your EP. It’s not even close. I’ll say even more, this song is my third favourite from the whole round.

This is power metal, yeah, and it’s leaning on the heavy side, but it’s still power metal and it’s amazing. The singer is reckless, capable of hitting some very high notes, and he reminds me of Kiske in a few moments. This band is what I wish Helloween would’ve became. Don’t get me wrong, I like the present Helloween, but this is on another level entirely. First off, this song is absolutely not too busy, it’s just perfect. Second, the singer is so relentless and awesome it’s difficult to find the proper words to describe him. And like it’s just not enough, we have the instrumental part in the middle of the song that obliterates any doubts I had about this tune.

This song is just incredible.

19/20

Innerwish – Rain of a Thousand Years

I won't lie, I liked how you put all the power metal songs in your EP, and at the same time you managed to find different power metal songs – See My Commands and All One were straightforward and serious, Shattered Skies was fantasy-like and with pronounced vibe, Hibria track was absolutely unique and unrepeatable, and this one feels like an epic one for sure. The very intro screams epic, and when the chorus comes it just reinforces that epic scale once again.

This tune was another business-like one, and I liked it from start to finish. You said the singer has a lot of Dio in him – I noticed he has a lot of Jorn in him, and since Jorn has a lot of Dio in him, I think that’s a fair description. I liked the singer a lot, and I thought the whole song was quite great. Good pick with an epic power metal song after the relentless Hibria. The instrumental break here was very satisfying too, and I loved the way it led into the acoustic part, only to explode with “Rise!” a few seconds after. And then there are those rare harmonies in the end. Fantastic tune.

18.5/20

Nightmare World – The Ever Becoming

And you decided to change the pace right at the end, closing your EP with the slow ballad-like song. And I thought you could choose better. Don’t get me wrong, the instrumentation here is wonderful, I especially appreciate the slow, melodic electric guitar soloing both in the intro and the instrumental part, and it’s also nice how the rest is mostly acoustic guitar and vocals and some keyboards creating the musical landscapes.

But the thing is, the vocals are bordering on annoying for me here, and the vocal melodies actually are annoying. The parts with “Yes even you can become confused” are the best example of that, but overall the whole vocal performance on this song could be much better. The instrumental parts here are wonderful (especially the solo at 2:20), but the other parts aren’t that brilliant, and this doesn’t bode well with this song’s score.

14/20

EP review:

Well you decided not to take any chances and just sent me a full-blown power metal EP. And guess what, I think it’s one of the best EPs I received. I thought it was quite well done, it’s also very energetic and somewhat varied despite mostly done in one style. There’s only one song on your EP I’m not too fond of, but, ironically, it will give you some additional points, because it’s essential to the overall flow, in my opinion. I just wish you found a better song to fill that spot. All in all, I really like power metal, and really liked almost all the songs you sent my way… obviously the score will be high. Good picks all around.

Flow points: 4/5

The average songs score: (17 + 16 + 17.5 + 19 + 18.5 + 14) / 6 = 17

The whole EP score: 17 + 4 = 21

Total score: 69 + 21 = 90

Congratulations! You won! Now you can tell Chad to shut up because you are on the scoreboard.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 04:27:01 PM by Evermind »

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's Second Roulette v. Perpetual power to rule the times (#1)
« Reply #1592 on: April 17, 2016, 04:25:21 PM »
I'll do a round-up farewell post tomorrow, because honestly, it's 1:30 A.M. here and I've got get up at 5 A.M., which means I've got exactly 3 hours and a half to sleep, which sucks big time.

So thank you everyone for following this, and tune in tomorrow for that last post if you even care about that.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1593 on: April 17, 2016, 04:49:03 PM »
Congrats to DTF's resident Kip-lover! :metal

Too bad to see Trivium having played a pretty big factor in losing wolfking the crown, along with UDO of course. I kinda don't like Trivium's all clean songs as much, the metalcore stuff ala Ascendancy worked best for them IMO (alas, harsh verses, clean chorus), In Waves is great too tho. The song I momentarily considered for this roulette is all clean too apart from like 2 lines, but has a more agressive tone to the vocals to give it some more power. (That song would be Built to Fall from In Waves)
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1594 on: April 17, 2016, 05:30:09 PM »
Congrats to Tim for his first win!! 

I got a lot of catchup reading to do tonight/tomorrow.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1595 on: April 17, 2016, 05:59:57 PM »
Congratulations Tim, indeed!

(but I should say--that's not his first win. He also won my second roulette)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1596 on: April 17, 2016, 06:00:32 PM »
Congrats to Tim for his first win!! 

I got a lot of catchup reading to do tonight/tomorrow.

Ditto - won't get time to read up properly until much later today but congrats to Tim and Ruslan on a job well done , even if the end result was unacceptable  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1597 on: April 17, 2016, 06:33:00 PM »

Woot!

I think I'm gonna go to Disney World!

Oh wait, I'm already here!!

Thanks Ruslan. More in the AM. Space Mountain now!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1598 on: April 17, 2016, 06:34:05 PM »
congrats, TAC!

so yeah, when Almanac got banned last round, it got replaced with guess what, DMB and Soundgarden.  Oh well.  I also had Hibria in that slot at one point, but your comments about songs being too heavy scrapped that one.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1599 on: April 17, 2016, 06:35:27 PM »
so let me get this straight, during this roulette, evermind
1. liked a djent song
2. liked the growls in a song

what the hell

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1600 on: April 17, 2016, 06:56:29 PM »

Right! JBoy thinks the Canadian Excgange Rate reduces roulette wins too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1601 on: April 17, 2016, 06:57:51 PM »
Well done Tim!!!

And yeah, that Bob Catley album is superb Ruslan, check it out. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1602 on: April 17, 2016, 07:39:38 PM »
Congrats Timmy boy!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1603 on: April 17, 2016, 08:16:06 PM »
Thank you :tup

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1604 on: April 17, 2016, 09:25:57 PM »

Right! JBoy thinks the Canadian Excgange Rate reduces roulette wins too.

Jesus... you got the Shmeglands over here too!!!  Get your ass back on vacation man!

And yes, the exchange does affect wins.  I'm only at 3.25 wins ... still more than you :neverusethis: 

Well, congratulations to graduating to the big-boy font.   :D :-*
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1605 on: April 17, 2016, 10:27:28 PM »
(alas, harsh verses, clean chorus)

Good description. :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1606 on: April 17, 2016, 10:29:32 PM »
That was a lot of reading!  Not much here that I need to go and check out - naturally, it's Brent's that I haven't already heard.  That Empty Holllow Suite sounds sweet. I already know the acts, or the submissions were recycled from what they sent me at some point - though it wasn't RJ who gave me Sun Caged.  Jon maybe?  Can't be bothered to look it up atm... it's late.

DMB and Soundgarden?  You sir have the balls of an uncaged rhino roaming the Serengeti.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1607 on: April 18, 2016, 05:54:08 AM »
I did.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1609 on: April 18, 2016, 11:37:10 AM »
:lol

Alright, the wrap-up post and another round of PMs will be posted / sent-out tomorrow instead of today because Monday. I hate those. But I never failed to meet a deadline for posting results, so I guess it's alright now.