Author Topic: Evermind's Second Roulette v. The Aftermath  (Read 124721 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I think I have a band, just gotta narrow it down to 2 songs.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I have this feeling my EP is about to be cock blocked  ;D

So Ruslan - is the EP a hard limit of 35 mins or do we have 30 secs leeway like the other rounds?  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I have this feeling my EP is about to be cock blocked  ;D

So Ruslan - is the EP a hard limit of 35 mins or do we have 30 secs leeway like the other rounds?  :lol

Hmmm....I don't think so mate, I think you're safe.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Bout time someone got something..

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
The thing is, it's sometimes hard to know if these guesses are serious or not.  Considering how obscure many submissions are,  "Deathstar - Love For Less" could seem legit.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Has anyone ever submitted something of their own?  The first one could be Lonestar  :biggrin:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Has anyone ever submitted something of their own?  The first one could be Lonestar  :biggrin:

I keep waiting for Elite to, but haven't seen it yet.  There are two other DTF'rs who have some great music, and I'm dying to use one of them in an upcoming roulette.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I know Lucien has sent his compositions in roulettes before. I can't think of anyone else who has off the top of my head.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
when i actually sit down and record a song i've written then maybe i will but submitting gp5/6 rse-generated songs feels like a bad idea  :lol
also i haven't written anything in yeeeeaaars because life

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
The song I sent was from Adami.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
The song I sent was from Adami.

Oh, right... Fanticide.  That slipped my mind.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

Hard limit this time. :lol If you can't fit it in 35 minutes even after you cut the silences and all, you may need to rethink you EP.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Well?

:corn

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, I'm at work.

I'll get home in three or four hours, will do one or two final listens and post the results then. That makes it... 5-6 hours from now on I think. Could be earlier too.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Coolio, just itching to send you the next round...

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Awww... come ride the pine with me.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's Second Roulette v. There's only one way (Tiebreaker Results)
« Reply #1242 on: April 01, 2016, 10:12:46 AM »
Here we go.

Round 6 Tiebreaker Results:

Bolsters: Burnclear – Lost For Life

You said you wanted to save this song for one of the next two rounds… I honestly don’t know what you were thinking. This was as generic as it gets, and the guitar riffs even got djenty at one point, which is a big no for me.

The intro was actually fine, intense and all, but then, well, why does the section from 1:15 to 1:20 sound like someone is rapidly farting right into the mic? The singer sounds capable but he’s buried in the mix and it’s difficult to discern then in the vast sea of overwhelming (and at the same time quite underwhelming musically) guitar riffs. This song sounds like the band tried too hard to sound heavy and have this certain edge in their music, and the result is deplorable, really. While it has its rare moments, overall this song is as bland as it gets.

I know you thought this song will get a nice score, but apparently it’s just not for me. Too generic, too heavy and not really enjoyable overall. Your only consolation is that the other player didn’t do too well in this round too.

6/10

lonestar: Day Six – 7th Sign

First thing I’ve noticed about this is song is how slow-paced and plodding it is in the first half. They’re like that Avatarium song I received in the previous round, only with the male vocalist – and you probably remember that female vocalist was the main highlight of Avatarium. Draw your conclusions.

While there are some moments that I like, the amount of moments I don’t like is considerably huger. Like, what’s the deal with that ripping heavy riff at ~1:33? Or with the vocal effects in the next passage? Those sound like the guy was about to swallow the microphone during the recording. The song is actually somewhat decent until it gets to that breakdown at 4:25, changing the rhythm and the pace in the way that makes me feel like I’ve been hit on my head with a brick. This transition is so disjointed it’s ridiculous, really. And the instrumental part that comes after it is another part being heavy for heaviness sake.

I wanted to like this song, I really did, but now that I reflect on this tune, it’s not any better than the one Bolsters sent. It’s so mediocre it’s disturbing.

6/10

I’ve been thinking about it all the way from my work to home, and I just can’t decide which song is better here. Both songs are very mediocre and unexciting, and I had to make a cutting decision anyway. I was looking forward to get some great tunes from you guys, but this round left me disappointed, and with such songs I received here… eventually I came to a decision, and I bet you won’t like this one, but hey, that’s how I think it should be.

In the end, I decided you’re both eliminated since you both didn’t impress me in this round at all. Sorry to say that; I had high hopes for both of you, but that’s just how it is.

The remaining five participants can send me their Round 7 songs now. I’ll post the official description for this round in a bit, but since you already have it in your PM, there should be no problem for you to send your entries.

Good luck and send your songs!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
you guys probably should have sent these songs

Deathstar - Love For Less
Hey Slim - The Sign (Ace of Base cover)
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1244 on: April 01, 2016, 10:18:44 AM »
I think I gave Mr Bolsters a decent score for that track  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1245 on: April 01, 2016, 10:25:42 AM »
That's rough.. Evermind, did you take your evil pill today?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1246 on: April 01, 2016, 10:31:55 AM »
In the end, I decided you’re both eliminated since you both didn’t impress me in this round at all. Sorry to say that; I had high hopes for both of you, but that’s just how it is.

Ruslan, I would applaud the size of your stones if it wasn't April 1st.

*awaits real post*

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1247 on: April 01, 2016, 10:32:43 AM »
:neverusethis:

Real results in ~30 minutes.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1248 on: April 01, 2016, 10:37:48 AM »
Honestly you should've done the Sacul writeups. Though that would make it seem less believable. I must admit you got me there for a second, not bad.

Gets me thinking, I can't actually have gotten a silver star in Bolsters' roulette, must be an April Fools joke aswell.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1249 on: April 01, 2016, 10:39:31 AM »
 :lol  I just looked at the scores and the summary.  It's 2nd April here so you're too late  :P

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1250 on: April 01, 2016, 10:42:38 AM »
If you compete in the Russian competition, you better damn well adjust to Russian timezones m8

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1251 on: April 01, 2016, 10:46:23 AM »
It easy for you to say, since you're only a few hours behind. ;)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1252 on: April 01, 2016, 10:50:50 AM »
If you compete in the Russian competition, you better damn well adjust to Russian timezones m8

I think someone's sense of humour needs an adjustment m8? 

I was more referring to David anyway .  By the time he sees it , it'll be well and truly beyond April Fools.  It's approaching 4am here ......... twas a big night .  Hic   :)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 10:57:10 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1253 on: April 01, 2016, 10:58:44 AM »
Perfect  :rollin

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I was more referring to David anyway .  By the time he sees it , it'll be well and truly beyond April Fools.  It's approaching 4am here ......... twas a big night .  Hic   :)

Well, that was just a general attempt to joke. I didn't consider anyone's time zone, if Dave and RJ weren't there to be fooled, well, that's their loss. :D

Anyway, I just couldn't miss that fine opportunity with these fake results. Now, here are the serious, real ones.

Round 6 Tiebreaker Real Results:

lonestar: Day Six – 7th Sign

Alright, look, RJ, how about that... can you do every round with “Oh well, enough fucking around” approach? From this one example it seems to work like a charm. I’ll be honest, writing the fake writeup for this song was torturous and incredibly difficult, because this song is the very definition of awesome for me.

I knew where to start with the fake write-up, since there were some parts – like that transition at 4:25 – I only liked, while the other sections I loved dearly. So I don’t really know where to start with that positive write-up. I love the singer, he sounds beyond awesome. He won me over with one of the very first lines, “never to be suuuure”. The whole intro is bloody magnificent, with the prominent bassline and the tasteful guitar licks all over it, very atmospheric. The singer is a perfect fit for the mood this song builds up. I especially like how he adjusts his voice to the more intense moments of this song, yet staying in his vocal range. The vocal effects at the second verse are still the weak point of this tune, yes, but the rest is really magnificent.

RJ, I know I didn’t like Barracuda too much, but I guess that’s just the age differences showing. I really liked this song. You’re like an endless storage of wonderful progressive metal music. Just when I think you used up all your bands, you manage to send something like this. This is fantastic. Welcome to the Round 7.

9.5/10

Bolsters: Burnclear – Lost For Life

So, you indeed said you wanted to save this song for one of the next two rounds, and I can indeed understand why you wanted to do it. This song is quite a good one, really solid metal track.

I think it’s sufficient to say that the part I mentioned in my fake writeup (the one with farting from 1:15 to 1:20) is the one that bothers me the most; other than that, this song is very solid and enjoyable. Cool vocalist with deep and somewhat raspy voice when needed, nice heavy vibe all along, and the big plus here is the fact the singer fits the music really well. I think there is another thing I can complain about, even though those complaints are pretty small… for what it’s worth, I think the chorus sounds too happy, and that’s the same problem I had with that Beautiful Sin track from the last round.

Other than that, I really enjoyed this tune. I think it’s a solid 8.5 bordering on 9, and it’s one of the best tracks you sent to me if you don’t count The Bonding. Unfortunately for you, RJ just didn’t allow for the competition here.

It’s kind of sad, really, because I thought you had a huge potential to, well, maybe not win this one, but to kick some people asses alright. Your qualifying songs were really great, but then you just struggled to find something that would align well with me. Still, you introduced me to some great bands I will definitely explore further – Edenbridge, Pantommind, Pandora’s Box, Burnclear, Beyond the Black and Dave Kerzner are all on my radar. I can’t help but think I should’ve bumped your Beyond the Black score to 8.5, but then I think I should’ve bumped RJ’s Prospekt score to 8.5 either, so it just doesn’t work like that. I’m not going to change any scores, I’m sticking with the choices I’ve made when I ranked your songs, and I feel this is a good decision. So, unfortunately, you’re out. I hope this event won’t bite my ass in your roulette later.

8.5/10

Bands added to banned list:

Day Six
Burnclear

The scoreboard:

wolfking - 52
Big Hath - 52
TAC – 51
bl5150 - 49.5
senecadawg2 - 49.5
lonestar - 49

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Round 7: Open: Two songs from the same band

Alright, so this round is what I like to call "Introduce me to that band" round. You have to send two songs from one band. You can use whatever strategy you like - you can send two consecutive songs from the album, you can send two polar opposites (like death metal and progressive rock in case of Anathema), you can just send two of your favourite songs - anything will do. If I like both songs, there's a great chance I will explore this band further, so if you ever wanted to get me into your favourite bands and you don't fear the risks, go ahead.

I will accept three and even four tracks in this round, in case one (or two) tracks are the short instrumental intros to the actual songs - like I did it in the previous six rounds (Jon sent me Rise / Wolf and the Moon and it was totally fine), but I won't accept three actual songs even if they form a suite. If that doesn't make sense, feel free to ask additional questions via PM or in the thread.

So, you have to send me two songs from the same band. I will rate each song separately - the flow doesn't matter in this round - and the rating for each song will be out of 10. Therefore, the maximum amount of points you can grab in this round is 20.

The time-limit for both songs combined is 20 minutes.

Send your songs!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Well, that was just a general attempt to joke.

Me too - didn't mean to start a debate around time zones  :lol

I'll look into Day Six again.  I do remember sampling them and didn't take it any further.  But then our tastes in prog metal aren't quite as in sync as in some other areas :) .
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 11:26:24 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Sweet bro!!!  Had a good feeling about that one had an absolute priority feel to it. I'll send after work.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Those bands are now both on 'the list'.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Round 7 sent.