Author Topic: Evermind's Second Roulette v. The Aftermath  (Read 124722 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Wait,  what, Floor Jansen and Final Fantasy? How have I never heard of that?! (I even listen to FF soundtracks of entries I have never played).

Well, apparently it's not that well-known at all. I thought I covered all Floor Jansen-related projects in my banned list. :lol

Alright then, I'm few listens in and this is - surprisingly - definitely not the strongest round. No bad songs of course, but most of them are either on the alright side or good but not great side. There are some standouts though, two songs in particular are just amazing. That's all I will ever say about the songs in this round until the results, no more spoilers regarding my thoughts on your entries. Well, except the tidbits.

Second picture will be up tomorrow evening, tidbits Tuesday evening, results most probably Wednesday evening.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I knew I should've sent the faster paced track!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice - they were up there in my calcs too , but decided to go for something a bit different.

I love Magali's voice.

She's one of the only female voices I really enjoy as much as male vox, might be my fav female vocalist.  Just never took to female vox all that much.

You know Ida Haukland (one of the female's on Fantasmagoria)?  Triosphere lead singer/bassist?  She's right up there as a "metal" female voice.  If you don't know them, no peaking.

BTW, I see mine and RJ's there - but that's all.

Don't know her, but yeah, like her on Fantasmagoria.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
No bad songs of course, but most of them are either on the alright side or good but not great side.
Nice. So lots of 6's then
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Alright then, I'm few listens in and this is - surprisingly - definitely not the strongest round. No bad songs of course, but most of them are either on the alright side or good but not great side. There are some standouts though, two songs in particular are just amazing.

Well... if by some miraculous act of God I landed a 'standout', there may be hope yet!

Never deprive a man of hope - it might be all he has.   :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
No spoilers from me, sorry guys. But have this second blurred pic. All the guessed songs are clear.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I see White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Alright, found one more I think:

Forgotten Tales - Born to Win

also, less certain on this one, but:

Daughter - Ladyfall
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Alright, found one more I think:

Forgotten Tales - Born to Win

also, less certain on this one, but:

Daughter - Ladyfall

See, it's much more fun without Spotify because you're getting all the song names wrong. :lol

Born to Win is a cool name for a power metal song though!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Yeah I suck at this :lol, it's definitely more fun without looking them up though.

Broken Wings? That's a bummer, Born to Win is such a cool high energy power metal title, whereas Broken Wings sounds like a metal ballad or something.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
"Ladyfall" :lol

Should be Landfill, but I'm just guessing. I don't know the band.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Broken Wings? That's a bummer, Born to Win is such a cool high energy power metal title, whereas Broken Wings sounds like a metal ballad or something.

Yeah, and then there's that:

Apparently I was going to get Born to Win but ended up getting Broken Wings instead. :lol

Online Tomislav95

"Ladyfall" :lol

Should be Landfill, but I'm just guessing. I don't know the band.
Correct :tup
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I know who sent MeatLoaf ... I mean, Pandora's Box.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Yeah, and then there's that:

Apparently I was going to get Born to Win but ended up getting Broken Wings instead. :lol

Well played. Just not by me.. :D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
No one sent Issa?  What a shame.  ;D
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Bolsters: Pandora's Box - It Just Won't Quit  ;)

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Bolsters: Pandora's Box - It Just Won't Quit  ;)

Missed that first post. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
my guesses on the rest

Terracotta Isles - Pelican Wing  :lol
Elite got this one
my song
Indea - Algae
Heart - Barracuda
Elite got this one, too
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
The first one is Forgotten Tales - Broken Wings

You're not far off on Indea - Algae but neither the song nor the band is 100% correct

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
I think they should have named it Pelican Wing
Winger would be better!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's Second Roulette v. Watching you falling, helpless (Tidbits)
« Reply #1142 on: March 29, 2016, 11:42:50 AM »
I think they should have named it Pelican Wing

:lol Terracota Isles wasn't too bad!

Here are the full picture and the tidbits:

It’s no secret I paid a lot of attention to the vocals this time, like I did in another vocal-related round in my first roulette, and frankly, this song has been somewhat of a disappointment in this regard. There are a lot of moments where I felt the vocals just don’t fit the song.

This is kind of a blend between power metal and some melodic rock I guess, and I found it lacks some edge and probably some heaviness too, kind of like The Chronicles Project song I’ve got earlier. And I wasn’t even sure the vocals were female at times.

I like how the ballads in this round divided into happy ones and the sad / bitter ones, and all of them are of roughly the same quality. Makes it a good contrast. Yours is among the former and maybe I like it just a bit more than the others. The last few listens will tell, but this is going to be difficult.

I like how song starts with intense and pronounced power metal sound – and it’s a perfect transition from the ballad that preceded it on the playlist. At first I thought it was one excellent progressive song, but turns out it’s actually two different tunes with only one of them being excellent.

This song has very inspiring and pleasant lyrics.
“I want you so much, but I hate your guts”? Nice.

I mostly didn’t like the heavy, slow-paced, plodding parts of the song, but in terms of pure utilization of the female singer’s voice, this is among the best tracks of the round.

Did that song really need to feature that death metal growl?

Results tomorrow evening.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1143 on: March 29, 2016, 11:45:52 AM »
uh oh
Winger would be better!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1144 on: March 29, 2016, 11:47:47 AM »
can't see anything there that would be mine
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1145 on: March 29, 2016, 11:54:05 AM »
Did that song really need to feature that death metal growl?

:lol :lol

It was one second! I should've just cut it out. But yeah, to be fair, if you're talking about my song, that's pretty damn random and I wish they didn't include it. I hope your thoughts on the rest of the song are a bit more in depth :lol

..I screwed up guys

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1146 on: March 29, 2016, 11:56:35 AM »
Here's my full write-up for this tidbit:

Going with Sacul's approach for this one. This is awful. Did that song really need to feature that death metal growl?

3/10

:lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1147 on: March 29, 2016, 11:59:59 AM »
It's like someone serves you a nice meal, then you sniff it like a fucking dog and leave the room :lol

Online Tomislav95

« Reply #1148 on: March 29, 2016, 12:01:24 PM »
"This song has very inspiring and pleasant lyrics. “I want you so much, but I hate your guts”? Nice."
Beautiful, indeed :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1149 on: March 29, 2016, 12:05:30 PM »
So, I only know four of the songs on the list, so the tidbits have to fit something.

This is kind of a blend between power metal and some melodic rock I guess, and I found it lacks some edge and probably some heaviness too, kind of like The Chronicles Project song I’ve got earlier. And I wasn’t even sure the vocals were female at times.

Sorry Kade, I think this is Beautiful Sin.  Maggi is great, but she does sometimes sound a little 'butch'.

I mostly didn’t like the heavy, slow-paced, plodding parts of the song, but in terms of pure utilization of the female singer’s voice, this is among the best tracks of the round.

I'm gonna guess me or RJ.  Hard to tell, because Barracuda isn't "slow-paced", but I wouldn't call White Rabbit "heavy"

These 'themed' rounds seem to be not working out so well for anyone - which means they aren't working out for Ruslan either.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1150 on: March 29, 2016, 12:06:20 PM »
heck yeah someone sent growls to evermind and it wasn't me  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1151 on: March 29, 2016, 12:12:32 PM »
These 'themed' rounds seem to be not working out so well for anyone - which means they aren't working out for Ruslan either.

No, I thought the ballads round was awesome — it's the round I keep coming back the most — and the weird-instrument round was mostly good / great with the few exceptions (Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, anyone?). This is probably the first one I'm not too fond of.

It's like someone serves you a nice meal, then you sniff it like a fucking dog and leave the room :lol

That would fit if I stopped listening after that growl and never came back to your song again. :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1152 on: March 29, 2016, 12:18:39 PM »
Yeah I know, was talking about the fake writeup.

heck yeah someone sent growls to evermind and it wasn't me  :lol

Well I already sent Native Construct - Mute so it's not a first.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1153 on: March 29, 2016, 12:43:16 PM »
yeah but you sent that in a qualifier round you didn't even need to participate in

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1154 on: March 29, 2016, 12:51:08 PM »
I like how song starts with intense and pronounced power metal sound – and it’s a perfect transition from the ballad that preceded it on the playlist. At first I thought it was one excellent progressive song, but turns out it’s actually two different tunes with only one of them being excellent.

This could be mine (I honestly do not know many of the songs/artists this round, though).  Given all ballads are roughly the same quality, that may be an indication of the power metal part being the excellent part. Here's hoping I go out in style, after my fall  :metal :P