Author Topic: Evermind's Second Roulette v. The Aftermath  (Read 124968 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Evermind's Second Roulette v. And your confidence is fading (Tidbits)
« Reply #1050 on: March 24, 2016, 07:01:59 AM »
So, is this shit gonna happen today or what? :corn

Someone's home from vacation?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1051 on: March 24, 2016, 09:07:14 AM »
So, is this shit gonna happen today or what? :corn

Yep, results today. Just got home from work. Except them to be up in about 4 - maybe 5 - hours from now on.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1052 on: March 24, 2016, 09:44:54 AM »
Great. Can't wait to see what fucker sent UFO.
It's MY band!

Honor the code!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1053 on: March 24, 2016, 10:21:59 AM »
It's MY band!

Honor the code!!!

Bro's before UFO's!  amirite?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1054 on: March 24, 2016, 10:25:12 AM »
Just an off note regarding Jorn and Beyond Twlilight, the song Crying is my fav all time Jorn performance.

Yeah, that one is fantastic as well. I sent Beyond Twilight. I was considering Crying as well, but went for Shadowland as I overall enjoy it more. At first I was caught off guard by the weirdness of the whole thing, as I was expecting more regular prog metal in the vein of Ark, for example. The music is often supportive to the vocals and aims on atmosphere (not to say the musicianship isn't admirable. It blends extremely well with the vocals like a soundtrack at times). But it grew massively on me and I consider Jorn's vocals to be one of the most intense vocal performances on any album. But I can totally see why it doesn't click with some, as is the case with Jingle Boy.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1055 on: March 24, 2016, 10:35:39 AM »
It's MY band!

Honor the code!!!

Bro's before UFO's!  amirite?

Youareright!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's Second Roulette v. Floating in seas of doubt (Results)
« Reply #1056 on: March 24, 2016, 01:26:43 PM »
I know I look like I'm too generous this round, but well, I was always generous with the songs I liked, and who can blame me that I gathered the twelve participants that I knew will be able to send me amazing songs in every round? Also, I warned you about a lot of high scores in this round, didn't I? Well, here we go.

Round 5 Results:

Bolsters: Edenbridge – The Bonding

You know, maybe some people thought the long songs won’t work in this roulette because I rated some of those quite low; and other people still think that on the prog forum the longer the song is, the better. I can’t confirm any of this, and the fact the longest song of this round ended up being the best… well, you can’t attribute that to the length. It’s just the song was that amazing.

Saving this for the EP round would’ve been a great call – provided you had some other short songs from different bands to fill the EP with – if only you weren’t in such a dire situation on the verge of elimination. In the EP round, this song might’ve secured you the victory… in this round though, this song secured you a perfect score. I’ve been thinking about this score a lot, it was an instant love at first listen worth 10 out of 10, then I began to find the minor flaws in this song and reduced the score to 9.5; in the end, I think I’ve grown to love even the moments I disliked before, and the score became perfect again. Because it’s simply awesome.

This is one of the most excellent symphonic metal songs I’ve heard. It really has it all, the initial build-up, the back-and-forth acoustic / aggressive middle section where the female and the guest male singer trade off their lines, the simple – but not simplistic – and quite magnificent and glorious acoustic instrumental section, and the highly grandiloquent ending in the vein of DT’s Octavarium, everything is polished to perfection in this song. Curiously, “I’m beyond belief” / “How can I feel you if it’s all beyond belief?” trade-off in the middle makes me chuckle just a bit – the male vocalist appropriately sounds a bit pissed; and I can’t help but mention that this guy – judging by his very first note where he goes “ooooh” – kind of sounds like Jorn. I like how his voice plays in contrast with the beautiful female vocals. I love the instrumental breakdown. Damn, it’s easier to say what I didn’t like about this song in the end – that would be nothing. I didn’t look on the scoreboard, and I don’t remember the standings, but I think you just improved your chances on making the cut dramatically.

By the way, does she sing “It’s not penis, it’s not warmth” at 13:38?

10/10

Train of Naught: The Dear Hunter - The Bitter Suite IV and V: The Congregation and The Sermon in the Silt

The Dear Hunter. It’s one of those bands I always was interested in, but never checked out. In case of TDH though, I’ve heard King of Swords (Reversed) from this very album, and I was not impressed at all, so I, well, not exactly gave up on them, but just put them out of my mind for a time. I knew you were a huge fan of them, so obviously I expected you to send them at some point. And I really don’t mind some oddballs in my roulette too, because with the right song picked out, you may get me into some bands I wouldn’t give any serious consideration otherwise. In fact, that’s part of the reason you made it in the main competition with that A7X song… and now that decision of mine paid off.

I suspect the metalheads and fogies and fogey-metalheads alike will be disappointed with me regarding this song, but I liked it a bloody lot and I can’t help it. This is just infectious to the point of ridiculousness. I’ve spent all these days starting from Monday humming the whole song quietly to myself. And what’s even better, the melodies are not infectious in annoying way, not at all – it’s rather they’re infectious in a “hell yeah” way. This song is a lot of fun, it’s playful and quirky, yet melodic and predictable enough. This was the most refreshing song of the round. Among all the rock and metal, this was one of the stand-outs.

The intro is quite slow here and it’s what keeps this song from getting a 9.5, but when all the gears get into motion on 1:35, I’m pulled into the song and it’s like I’m watching a scene in the theater unfold. Amazing song and I thought I will be checking more of this band, until – in fact, it’s ironic considering how you properly introduced me to them – you left me no chance to buy the most acclaimed Acts 3 and 4 from Bizkit. Maybe later then, if at all. I’ve bought some Haken and PT albums instead.

9/10

bl5150: Teramaze – An Ordinary Dream (Enla Momento)

So as I told you, I’ve heard the title track from this album before, and I wasn’t too impressed… but I guess the epic has slightly more potential to impress me than just an ordinary short title track. Because while this wasn’t a killer song in a way Dave’s tune was, this was much more impressive than Her Halo.

I still think there’s something off with this band, and I can’t quite pinpoint what. I think it’s probably the production – they sound kind of muddy during the choruses – especially during the choruses – the singer sounds a bit unconvincing and it’s like, I don’t know, the sound is kind of layered? Because the other instruments sound just fine, and the vocal melodies themselves are fine too, it’s just the singer sounds somewhat unnatural and he’s got exactly the sound I tend to dislike in a lot of power metal bands.

But this song totally redeems itself after the usual verse-chorus-verse-chorus routine. When it gets to the calm part, the singer does a few lines and they we get to that piano-fronted section with the samples… there are some songs where the spoken parts are my favourite parts of the whole composition – Song of Myself and When The Walls Go Down are good examples – and this one could’ve been on the verge of joining them. This voiceover is so short and yet so sad. But still, that stunning guitar solo that follows after takes the cake for being the best part of this song. That’s where this track begins to shine in earnest. And, well, when it gets more intense once again, the song suddenly sounds very fresh and exciting. Somehow, the guitar solo works wonders here, and of course the ending is quite impressive too. Chad really should’ve picked this one if he wanted a nine.

9/10

Dr. DTVT: Subsignal – Finisterre

Songs like this make me glad you’re still participating in this roulette despite your overall business with your musical and whatnot. This is much better than your previous two entries from Orphaned Land and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum *shudder*.

This reminds me of that Sieges Even song you’ve sent me in the very first round. True, it’s a bit darker in some calmer moments, but when this song comes alive in full force, it features the same happiness and just explodes with the flurry of keyboard notes, buzzes with that blissful, positive activity. The atmospheric instrumental break filled with some acoustic arpeggios is gorgeous too. It seems this is the kind of progressive music I somehow unconsciously tend to expect from you, not something I usually listen to, but also not too far from my comfort zone, and this time you delivered just fine. Not sure if it will help you in the long run, since you’re dead last and all – I remember that from the standings – but this is a great song.

9/10

TAC: Vision Divine – Mermaids From Their Moons

You chose Iris Divine over this? I know, going with your heart instead of your head and all that, but this song is of the kind that should be a no-brainer in my roulette. You really should’ve sent this song earlier, could’ve gained you more of those points everyone seem to be so crazy about. But seeing how you’re still above the elimination line, I guess you know what you’re doing.

As you said, this is a catchy power metal song, and it’s excellent at what it’s trying to achieve. The chorus is fantastic – that’s what I want from power metal song’s chorus, not the overblown “BEYOND! THE GATES!”; it’s melodic and it’s quite an earworm. It sounds even better in the intro, where they do a quiet acoustic version of it. The verses ain’t too shabby too. My only complaint is the pre-chorus, which seems kind of not so melodic with some of the notes they chose, but it’s small enough to warrant this song a fine score.

8.5/10

Big Hath: UFO – Love to Love (live)

Hey Tim, here’s that fucker who sent UFO! :lol

Well, seriously, this is a great call. You could’ve seen I have a soft spot for the music from 70s, and while of course modern albums prevailed in my Top 50, the 70s are still my favourite decade of music from the previous century. That wasn’t too obvious from my roulette, and it’s slightly more obvious from my banned list. I rated Journey – Of a Lifetime with 10 points in my previous roulette. I often end up liking the songs from 70s, and your song isn’t an exception.

This is a wonderful rock song. I’m not sure if I can call it a ballad – it probably would’ve qualified for Round 2 with a stretch, so I will just call it a rock song. Some very soulful vocals and vocal melodies, wistful chorus: “Misty green and blue / Love to love to love you”. Gorgeous stuff. Besides the chorus, the highlights for me are the keyboards in the lengthy intro, and also the ripping guitar solo in the end. You said it wasn’t in the studio version – I didn’t have time to check it out, honestly – but this solo added at least half a point to your score.

I wouldn’t say you’re precisely on fire, but if you don’t count that Odyssey song, you’re doing extremely well so far.

8.5/10

senecadawg2: The National – Slow Show

You mentioned this to be another whiskey and cat piece, and hey, I agree, this fits that approach like a glove.

This is a nice acoustic tune that gives me some Mark Knopfler-vibe musically, with the deep, almost speaking and not singing voice fronting the tune, but then the lyrics here are absolutely not Mark Knopfler-like, so this comparison only gets me that far. Still, this song has a lot of fantastic elements, such as the singer, the acoustic guitar and clarinet – I think it is clarinet and maybe some other unusual instruments too – and also the piano runs you mentioned in the second half of the tune. I know you said it’s your favourite out of the ones you sent, but I think I liked The Antlers tune just a bit more. Still, this is quite great and I’ll be checking out these guys, but as for the score, I think 8.5 is just right for this one.

8.5/10

lonestar: Prospekt – The Great Awakening

You seem quite diverse in your entries this time around, because first you hit me with some excellent progressive metal, then you go with folk power metal, a rock song, an eclectic instrumental, and now back to the progressive metal I see. Well I don’t know if it’s any coincidence (hint: it probably isn’t), but it seems your vaults of progressive metal are where it’s at for me.

Still, this song isn’t quite that amazing as My Soliloquy was. My main complaint about this song is the vocalist I guess, he sounds like he’s really straining to hit those high notes in the chorus, and while the instrumentation (which reminds me of djent on some points) and the vocal melodies are pretty much spot on, the singer makes it just a bit difficult to get into the song. Regarding the instrumental part, I do think the fast-paced part could be a bit trimmed before it all gets slow and Opeth-like. Damn, even the album cover looks a bit Opeth-like. The singer sounds much more confident and in control when he sings here, too. Overall, the calm part and the way they write it up right into the chorus are my favourite sections of this song. I wish the singer sounded more convincing, but still, this is a solid song.

8/10

jingle.boy: Consortium Project – Enemy Within

You thought it would be refreshing among the sea of longer songs, but it didn’t happen really – I’ve got only two songs over ten minutes and another one clocking at almost ten minutes too – but that’s about it.

But still, wow, without a doubt, this is by far the most intense song of the round. At some points I can’t help but acknowledge this might be just a bit too intense for me. The verses and pre-chorus are fine, but the chorus, when the mechanical sounding keyboards are kicking in, is too much for me. On the other hand, I like the aggressive vocals and I like the vibe of the song overall, it’s just it overdoes it just a tad. It’s like a train on the full-speed, it goes forward with such a momentum nothing is able to stop it. I wish this song had a few more minutes to add a bit more variety, but I guess that’s just the point of this tune – a constant, relentless, pounding heaviness. And that’s something I can enjoy in moderate doses.

You’re actually getting a good score, but with how well other people scored in this round, this is probably going to be small consolation for you. I don’t know how the standings look like, but if it’s all bad for you – and I suspect it is – will you be going out with the bang or is it Animotion time?

8/10

wolfking: Cans – Beyond the Gates

Well, this might’ve been a good entry in theory, but the thing is, I rarely listen to HammerFall these days, and I’m not even sure I can compare this one to their output now. But still, it was quite a good song.

The best part here by far was the acoustic intro, and after that things started to go downhill. The verses were still quite fine – because they basically repeat the melody in the intro, and the chorus was where I started to question this song. That “BEYOND! THE GATES!” thing was mildly ridiculous and such an easy way out for the chorus ending, I found myself disliking it immensely. Overall, that’s some nice – if somewhat generic – power metal song where the quality of verses equalizes the chorus. This is good and maybe just slightly more than good, and that’s about it.

8/10

Tomislav95: Klone – Nebulous

I can see you’re pretty obsessed with this band lately, sending different songs from them in various roulette, and while I can see why it can be appealing to someone, to me this is actually a bit like that Bon Iver entry, only a bit better. This has that relaxing atmosphere with the nice vocals. The singer isn’t trying to hit some incredible high or low notes, and just sings his soul out all the while sounding like he’s barely breaking a sweat here.

And yet it still has that Bon Iver problem I described earlier. The vocal melodies are actually memorable this time – but this song is still, well, I don’t know. I can’t say it’s emotionless, because it clearly isn’t, but it just doesn’t click with me that much. It’s a nice relaxing listen, but it doesn’t evoke any strong feeling in me – and it’s a must for any song like this, otherwise the high score won’t be earned. The Antlers song from the previous round? Yes. The National song from this round? Yes. The Idol from Round 2? Fucking yes. This one? There is something, but that’s just not enough. Still a good song, and I feel I didn’t quite justify why it didn’t get a high score, but, well… I’m just not feeling it. It’s kind of like that Mayan Factor song in spirit too, only it’s less intense and more bland.

7.5/10

ErHaO: Beyond Twilight – Shadowland

If I had to describe your game in this roulette, I would say “terribly inconsistent”. You didn’t get too many points in the first two rounds, and then you sent me two brilliant tunes with Suspyre and Lyriel, getting your well-deserved points, and now this. I’m not sure who’s frustrated more because of your choice for this round, me or you, but it’s definitely not your fellow competitors.

Well, don’t get me wrong, this song has some redeeming qualities. I quite like the chorus, except it doesn’t really fit with the brooding, plodding nature of the verses. The pre-chorus is acceptable too, but the verses, well, they’re close to being unlistenable for me. I like Jorn, but I mostly can’t stand him in those slow-paced, heavy, plodding songs like he puts out on his solo records. It takes a good or great songwriting to make Jorn shine, and I’m not sure who wrote this one, wouldn’t be surprised if it was Jorn himself, but the verses are even worse than mediocre, they’re just bad as far as I’m concerned.

As I said, there are some good parts in this tune, but nothing great, and the bad parts are quite bad indeed. Maybe Crying is a better song, but this one is definitely not something I can enjoy. I’m genuinely surprised – I didn’t think I could rate the song with Jorn at the mic that low. Even your Agnes Obel song was more enjoyable than this. Sorry.

5.5/10

Bands added to banned list:

Edenbridge
The Dear Hunter
Teramaze
Subsignal
Vision Divine
UFO
The National
Prospekt
Consortium Project
Cans
Klone

The scoreboard:

wolfking - 44.5
Big Hath - 43
bl5150 - 42
TAC - 42
lonestar - 42

Bolsters - 40.5
senecadawg2 - 40.5

(the cut-off line, will matter after Round 6)

Train of Naught - 39.5
jingle.boy - 39
Tomislav95 - 39
ErHaO - 37.5
Dr. DTVT - 36.5
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 01:57:23 PM by Evermind »

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1057 on: March 24, 2016, 01:26:58 PM »
Round 6: Female-fronted

This round is pretty straightforward - you need to send me the female-fronted song. Here's the quote from the earlier pages of this thread:

The female vocalist in your song for female-fronted round has to be really prominent in the song. 50/50 male/female vocals won't do it for this round. Those were alright in my first roulette in "Two or more vocalists" round, but now I want some real female-fronted songs. Songs like piano version of Hymns for the Broken or like the one I've sent in the most recent round of Championship roulette won't qualify for this round.

However, something like Kamelot - Center of the Universe - if you swap male and female vocal sections - qualifies. I don't mind having some male vocals on the song for this round, but it has to be either a small enough part or the backing vocals. Most of the vocals should be female.

This is also the last round for six of you. I'll be writing the short paragraphs in the next round write-ups for those who won't make the cut, but I already want to say it's been a pleasure. Each and every participant introduced me to some awesome bands / songs in this roulette. If you didn't make the cut, well, who can blame you? The competition here is fierce as hell. Anyway, we'll talk about it later, and now it's time to play in the Round 6.

The time-limit for this round is 10 minutes.

Send your songs!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1058 on: March 24, 2016, 01:51:19 PM »
In any other roulette 7,5 would probably be very good score but this is relatively not so good :lol
Believe it or not, I've been thinking about what to send in this round from early rounds, and I'm still not sure :-\ I don't really have many options and those I have are so different from each other I don't know what to pick.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1059 on: March 24, 2016, 01:52:26 PM »
I should probably listen to the song bolsters sent so I can get a better grasp on his metal preferences I guess :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1060 on: March 24, 2016, 01:54:00 PM »
In any other roulette 7,5 would probably be very good score but this is relatively not so good :lol

You know, I'm actually surprised at how many great scores I'm giving. It wasn't like that in my first roulette, and I certainly didn't suddenly become more tolerant towards the music I don't like. So I blame it all on the stellar cast of players here. The invite system and the qualifiers provided me with the players best suited to my tastes, hence lots of great songs and scores.

I should probably listen to the song bolsters sent so I can get a better grasp on his metal preferences I guess :lol

Brace yourself, its length is 15:26. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1061 on: March 24, 2016, 02:03:23 PM »
I mean that's not super long by prog standards and it's less than listening to an entire album  :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1062 on: March 24, 2016, 02:25:16 PM »

Too bad it wasn't as much of a surprise because of the whole Bizkit thing, but still nice, glad you liked it.

Normally I would say: Start with Act 3>4  :lol sorry for that, I've been wanting to get these for a long ass time and I had already been PMing with the biz about buying some of his albums months ago, I can offer you my copy of Quiet World if you like? €20,-
I've been thinking about A7X aswell and like you said before in the thread, it's better to have an artist of which you can delve into all their stuff, and I've come to the conclusion that you'll be incredibly disappointed if you checked them out.

but when all the gears get into motion on 1:35, I’m pulled into the song and it’s like I’m watching a scene in the theater unfold.
My exact thoughts on this song.

Believe it or not, I've been thinking about what to send in this round from early rounds, and I'm still not sure :-\ I don't really have many options and those I have are so different from each other I don't know what to pick.
This. I think I almost have it figured out though, will send soon, maybe tomorrow if things get busy.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1063 on: March 24, 2016, 02:54:59 PM »
Sent.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1065 on: March 24, 2016, 03:17:18 PM »
Glad you enjoyed the song!  :tup

Two rounds in a row now where I've been tied on that cut-off line. Hopefully I'll secure that final spot; now, to find a suitable female-fronted song.......
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1066 on: March 24, 2016, 04:10:53 PM »
Oh well.  Had a feeling I wasn't gonna make it thru right from the start.  Gonna send an oldie but goldie.  I guaran-damn-tee it will be the shortest song not only of the round, but of the entire roulette.... but possibly the most epic.  RJ'll know what song based on that one - time too perhaps.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1067 on: March 24, 2016, 05:21:58 PM »
Hath, WTF??.

Did you not read the DTF Roulette Rulebook?
Let me refresh your memory!
Quote from: DTF Rulebook
Rule 9.22-In any Roulette of which TAC is participating in, all other participants of said Roulette, shall refrain from sending UFO and/or Alice Cooper.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1068 on: March 24, 2016, 05:34:02 PM »
...like you said before in the thread, it's better to have an artist of which you can delve into all their stuff...
Yeah, this is a very interesting point, and one that I agree with.

I hope you don't forget to check those Marketa Irglova and Sufjan Stevens albums after this ends, Ev  :smiley:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1069 on: March 24, 2016, 05:47:49 PM »
there are cases of specific songs being good enough that they're worth sharing even if the rest of the artist's work isn't as good, imo, but yeah as a general rule I try to send great songs from artists with many great songs

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1070 on: March 24, 2016, 06:35:44 PM »
Oh well.  Had a feeling I wasn't gonna make it thru right from the start.  Gonna send an oldie but goldie.  I guaran-damn-tee it will be the shortest song not only of the round, but of the entire roulette.... but possibly the most epic.  RJ'll know what song based on that one - time too perhaps.

I got an idea.

Seems I may make the cutoff, but am pretty much out of the running for the finale unless I take some chances and score big. Got some ideas, but let's see how going old school works for me first. Sent.....

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1071 on: March 24, 2016, 07:02:02 PM »
I'm coming for you Kade........ :hat

So far the 2 rounds where I thought I was taking a bit of a risk have been a total failure.  Let's see if I can make it 3/3.  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1072 on: March 24, 2016, 07:14:19 PM »
I'm coming for you Kade........ :hat

So far the 2 rounds where I thought I was taking a bit of a risk have been a total failure.  Let's see if I can make it 3/3.  ;D

Yeah, still got an 8 but the gap is closing, always the way though.  I'm sending the first song I thought of.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1073 on: March 24, 2016, 07:29:55 PM »
Okay, I've sent.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1074 on: March 24, 2016, 07:33:12 PM »
Hath, WTF??.

Did you not read the DTF Roulette Rulebook?
Let me refresh your memory!
Quote from: DTF Rulebook
Rule 9.22-In any Roulette of which TAC is participating in, all other participants of said Roulette, shall refrain from sending UFO and/or Alice Cooper.

:lol

you've had at least THREE ROUNDS to send UFO so far.  Now they are going to take away your fan badge.
Winger would be better!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1075 on: March 24, 2016, 08:29:32 PM »

I got an idea.

You better... being local to you and all.  I'm not going out with an Animotion bang, that's for sure.  I coulda sent Chaka Khan, but I didn't.

Good writeups again, and totally fair with Enemy Within.  I shoulda gone 10+ minutes... had a great prog tune in mind.  Gonna have to check those Edenbridge and Prospekt tunes. 

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1076 on: March 24, 2016, 08:40:44 PM »
Can I send some Mark Free?  :neverusethis:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1077 on: March 24, 2016, 08:48:33 PM »
Yeah, I was reasonably certain this song would get at least 9.5 from you, if not a perfect 10. I was also reasonably confident no one else would think to send Edenbridge and that I wouldn't be cockblocked, so I was saving them for the EP round. But it's a waste of a great band/song if I get eliminated before I get a chance to send them and I needed a great score or two to avoid it. I'll just have to wing it in the EP round now, if I make it through, but chances are I still won't.

Edit: The line you are referring to is it's not Venus, it's not Mars. :lol

Anyway, sending the next round's song momentarily.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1078 on: March 24, 2016, 09:20:00 PM »
Sent

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1079 on: March 24, 2016, 09:46:38 PM »
okay, i listened to that edenbridge song
not exactly in love with it or anything but it's definitely pretty solid, would probably grow on me in relistens if i gave it any
i can absolutely see how evermind would love it though

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1080 on: March 24, 2016, 10:04:07 PM »

I got an idea.

You better... being local to you and all. 

OK, now I don't have an idea anymore.  :justjen

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1081 on: March 25, 2016, 11:48:15 AM »
...like you said before in the thread, it's better to have an artist of which you can delve into all their stuff...
Yeah, this is a very interesting point, and one that I agree with.

I hope you don't forget to check those Marketa Irglova and Sufjan Stevens albums after this ends, Ev  :smiley:

Maybe. They will be somewhere in the middle of my priority list. I'll have to create one when this roulette is done.

I'm going to sort through the PMs now, but it seems I already have 10 songs in. Guess who hasn't sent yet. :biggrin:

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1082 on: March 25, 2016, 12:18:27 PM »
Wow, that pace!

So results tomorrow?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1083 on: March 25, 2016, 12:38:37 PM »
Winger would be better!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1084 on: March 25, 2016, 02:54:01 PM »
Let's break this round down:  By limiting it to female fronted songs anywhere between 80-90% of anyone's catalog is eliminated.  That still leaves some options, except...

Most of those remaining songs/bands are already banned because he has them.  That leaves me to select from the following categories:

Bands I like, but I know Evermind won't.  That's a waste.
Bands that I have because I own a lot of albums, but I don't think too much of.  Factory of Dreams?  I think not.
Female artists I don't have but I'm aware of.  Heart - sure.  Hole - lol.
A band I like a good bit, but it would be a complete dick move to send because I'm pretty sure the number of copies of the album doesn't exceed 100, and I don't think it's on any listening service.  If anyone guesses this one, you will win two internets.

I'll probably go with the last one.  But I still mind send Courtney Love.